BB&T

BB&T Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

BB&T Chairman & CEO Kelly S. King

Kelly S. King

Pros:
  • "The work week of 40-50 hrs creates good work/life balance"
    in 19 reviews
  • "They have very good benefits and opportunities for advancement"
    in 33 reviews
Cons:
  • "Little room for advancement but it is there"
    in 9 reviews
  • "no room for advancement, sales goals that are met are never appreciated"
    in 16 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Rewarding hard work.

Relationship Teller (Current Employee)
Birmingham, AL (US)

I have been working at BB&T part-time for less than a year

ProsGood pay. Good hours. Paid holidays off. Good benefits.

ConsShort staffing makes it difficult to make personal plans. A bit outdated systems.

Advice to Senior ManagementLove working for the bank. Dislike the computer system.

Great place to be and great benefits

Winston-Salem, NC (US)

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThis is a company that is very profitable but has unfortunate suffered at the hands of government regulations. Regardless, it is very well managed and continues to thrive in even a down economy. The people are very nice, great work atmosphere, great opportunities to advance, pay is good, and the training is excellent.

ConsFor those on the lower end of the corporate ladder, advancement is difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within and provide necessary training, rather than hiring experienced outside people. I understand why you do it that way, but foster a culture where employees truly grow within BB&T.

Overall good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at BB&T

ProsGood benefits, culture and work environment

ConsManagement is very poor, workload is not distribute equally or in an efficient manner

Growing and enjoying it

Portfolio Risk Officer (Current Employee)

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMonthly coaching sessions, available middle management, ability to provide process improvement ideas.
BB&T provides below average pay when looking at salary relative to the position that you have. However, the company compensates for this by readily offering leadership opportunities, training, promotions and challenging work opportunities if the employee is engaged. The company readily promotes talent from within. To me, this is far more valuable long term than an extra $10K a year. Besides the career potential, the leadership opportunities provide ways to grow and be challenged. In my 5 years at the bank, I've been promoted once and have had numerous leadership opportunities.

Leadership training for managers makes it more likely that your manager/team leader will have a basic understanding of personality dynamics and basic level of empathy. Employees have agency and autonomy--the ability, skills and authority to make decisions about their work. In most situations, management and coworkers treat each other as adults and with respect. Taking sick time or going to a doctor appointment have never been an issue. Neither is asking for help when workloads are obscene (help might not be available, but there is no stigma around asking). The work week of 40-50 hrs creates good work/life balance. After 2 years, vacation days were 15+your birthday off + 10 bank holidays.The company is transparent in its values and policies. Generally, co-workers are nice and competent. Most people are engaged in their work and many are loyalty. The bank has never performed mass layoffs when the stock is under-performing. It has laid off chunks of employees if their jobs become obsolete and they don't have the skills to move into another role. All of this together creates an almost work-family like feel.

6% 401k match with really low Vanguard expense fund options. BB&T tiers employee's health insurance costs by health level and the health insurance is generous for coverage.

HR department: competent from my limited experience.

ConsThere are major process inefficiencies, which many find frustrating. Way below market pay--pay for tenure vs. top performance. The company is really cheap when it comes to little things that make the work day pleasant and would show care, like providing coffee or water.

The co-workers that are not competent (below average, always having a bit of trouble, not able to complete tasks on time and by others standards) are not fired. One would have to seriously underperform or be downright disruptive to be fired.

Over the past 2 years, the bank has attempted to flatten the management system, consolidating senior executive positions and regions. There is less room to grow in seniority later in one's career, making the proverbial corner office not likely to be attained.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a little more willing to let people go that are a bad fit for the company, either because of their life outlook, motivation or skill set. This is particularly an issue with tenured employees.

Great company to work for but has its ups and downs like most companies.

Vice President (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at BB&T full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBB&T provides excellent training and opportunities for growth. They have very good benefits and opportunities for advancement.

ConsThe sales mentality has increased to a point that I worry that it will override the values and culture of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt seems that in order to achieve the increased sales goals on leaders, work-life balance will suffer.

Relationship Banker I

Relationship Banker I (Current Employee)
Deerfield Beach, FL (US)

I have been working at BB&T full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat company with AMAZING benefits for all!

Consnone to report at this time

Advice to Senior Managementnone to report at this time

Wonderful Benefits

I have been working at BB&T

ProsWonderful Benefits, very flexible. LOVE the people.

ConsEnvironment varies depending on the people

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider training more from within.

Newborn Photographer

Newborn Photographer (Current Employee)
Montgomery, AL (US)

I have been working at BB&T part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat company. Products for new moms are great. Company values to service to Mothers and provided various other company gifts to help mom on getting discounts on products. The leadership is different due to the fact most are out of town. This job has plenty communication thur email and texting but the job gets done.

ConsSome days you may go in to work and there is no work. No money is earned when no babies are born.

Excellent Workplace!

Relationship Teller (Current Employee)
Baltimore, MD (US)

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat place to work for. Great pay and incentives for employees!

ConsDifferent standards for same policies

GOOD company !

I have been working at BB&T full-time

ProsBenefits, opportuinty to move up if you wish too and you are good.

Consif you work on the teller side they do not accomadate to the needs of tellers at all.

Worked for BB&T? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BB&T reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for BB&T CEO Kelly S. King. All 403 reviews are posted anonymously by BB&T employees.