BB&T

BB&T Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

BB&T Chairman & CEO Kelly S. King

Kelly S. King

Pros
  • This bank pays better than any other and you get an incredible work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• They have very good benefits and opportunities for advancement (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • In my specific role, there was not room for advancement (in 12 reviews)

• no room for advancement, sales goals that are met are never appreciated (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Entry-Level

Certified Relationship Banker (Current Employee) Goldsboro, NC (US)

ProsGreat co-workers, friendly work environment, work/life balance is great, good hours and good benefits. If you are giving your all, you will be recognized. Top notch training! They truly prepare you to fulfill your role and are very keen on additional training classes and seminars.

ConsStressful sometimes working under specific sales goals, sales goals are sometimes unrealistic and hard to achieve. Lower level management will help you and encourage you, as long as you have a good manager. Every position is being stretched a little more thin, more responsibilities and less compensation. Like most companies doing more with less.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more involved with your branches, take time to remember what it is like to work at the bottom of the chain and the difficulties that are to be overcome there.

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent benefits and compensation, solid company to work for.

ConsCorporate is in Winston-Salem, hard to advance if unwilling to relocate.

The company has been good to me in the time I worked there.

Senior Teller (Current Employee)

ProsBB&T is a good company to work for, there is opportunity to grow and make a career.

ConsThe part that is not working for me is the schedule. It changes every week and I don't feel I have the freedom to work with my time.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good to start with and grow

Certified Relationship Banker II (Current Employee) Virginia Beach, VA (US)

ProsGreat training, positive people, very supportive

ConsRegional managers have no understanding at branch level of what it takes to be Successful.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds to be more involved in branches

Good Stepping Stone

ProsGood experience as a first job out of college. Learned a lot. Transitioning into a new roll will take some time, but you have to remember that success cannot be measured by what you did yesterday. New positions will come along frequently, but you have to show that you have excelled at what you were hired to do.

ConsLow pay early on. Management is constantly overseeing everything that you do on a daily basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementReviews are too frequent. Let the people work and establish relationships. Breathing down their necks everyday accomplishes little.

Good Company

ProsThe people are really genuine. The benefits are fantastic! The company truly has a strong culture that they operate by. Hard work is often recognized.

ConsCommunication through the company can be lacking and disorganized. They tend to treat the people who work in corporate headquarters better than anyone else in the footprint.

My department was better than the overall corporation

Digital (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC (US)

ProsThe people are awesome. Work-life balance was great (good vacation) and the company is very ethical and promotes family values. I had an awesome supervisor. He/She was "one of us" before getting promoted, so really understood the work.

ConsIn my specific role, there was not room for advancement. Once my boss got promoted, that's it -- they would have to leave before another opp for advancement came open. (We were a pretty specialized team.) So, it was out-to-go-up for me. I think Senior Management (outside of our building), and some of the product managers as well, had no idea what we did on a day-to-day, or how specialized/difficult it was. So, I think we were under-appreciated outside of our team.

Also, even though we were a non-client-facing team, we had to dress the part ("because everyone else has to.")

Advice to Senior ManagementPay folks what they are worth. Don't use outdated comps to justify low salaries. Let those who don't see clients -- ever -- enjoy a relaxed dress code.

Good place to work

ProsPay is OK. Not the best in the industry but not the worst. You are also able to have a good work life balance. When projects are due you will be expected to work until your part is completed, but normally the pace is reasonable.

ConsAdvancing in your career can be a challenge. Some people stay in their same role forever. You must make your own path as management doesn't seem to promote from within based on job performance alone. It can be done but networking is key.

Advice to Senior ManagementWatch for employees who perform beyond their job grade and promote from within. This will make employees feel worthwhile so they continue to perform at a high level.

Branch banker IV

ProsPay is better than competitors,

ConsUnder staff, 6 day week schedule,

I think if the employees changed their attitudes from negative to positive that would solve 95% of the issues

Senior Teller (Current Employee) Columbia, SC (US)

Prosyou have the privilege of having your birthday off, 6% 401k match, you receive vacation within your first year of employment, longevity, team mates are flexible and helping, lots of training, classes, and quarterly test to keep you informed and up to par with your job description, there is an incentive in place called "peak health" where you can receive your medical health care benefits at a discounted price

Consthe management tends to play favorites, the employees that have tenure and have been there for years all have problems and issues streaming from all of the disappointments they have had to endure over all the years they have been employed with the company. They become BITTER instead of BETTER. That can be a problem for new hires because they come in over joyed to be employed by BB&T and after 3-6 months of dealing with bitter employees they are on other websites clicking on "careers", poor morale, they don't understand that HAPPY employees play a HUGE part in "THE PERFECT CLIENT EXPERIENCE"
    There is an employee merit program called
    Peak Health is hard to maintain and get the discount if you aren't already living a healthy life style
    Little to NO room for advancement
    Some members of management do not act professional or display their leadership skills well for example they talk about other employees among other team members. Which in part is the reason for the resentment and bitterness towards the company.

Advice to Senior Managementinstead of paying to have envelopes mailed to each employee with hardly nothing but a piece of paper in them announcing new promotions (we are already informed about the upcoming promotions whether through the company personal email or in Monday and Thursday team meetings), it would be wise to use that same money and put towards improving the MORALE of the company. Kelly King, the president of BB&T, does a luncheon with some employees annually. I, honestly, do not know how it is determined which employees get to attend but I don't think its fair nor justifiable that only "certain" ones get to attend. It should be as to where anyone who wants to attend should be able to. It should be done AFTER work hours to ensure that anyone that wants to attend can do so.

Worked for BB&T? Contribute to the Community!