BB&T

Updated 16 December 2014
3.2

BB&T Chairman & CEO Kelly S. King
Kelly S. King

Pros
  • This bank pays better than any other and you get an incredible work/life balance (in 31 reviews)

• Decent balance of work/life and good benefits with the company (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • In my specific role, there was not room for advancement (in 13 reviews)

• Micro-managing, unrealistic sales goals and high pressure from management (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

Pros and Cons

Former Employee - Real Estate Evaluator in Charleston, WV (US)
    Former Employee - Real Estate Evaluator in Charleston, WV (US)

I worked at BB&T full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The ability to work independently at home was perfect. The benefits were perfect.

Cons

My team leader and the other members of my team were located in Virginia and Maryland; I was the only evaluator in WV because I was the only candidate for the job who knew as much as I knew about the state.
    The team leader and all other members are male.
    My team leader thought he was helping me, but I suffered constant harassment and negative criticism from him. The harder I worked, the more they expected.
    Finally, the men were paid more than I was and were promoted while I was held back, receiving only a single 2% raise in 4 1/2 years.

I suggest that the old-boy network is obsolete. I also suggest that management own their decisions.

Under staffed!

Current Employee - Title Insurance in Richmond, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Title Insurance in Richmond, VA (US)

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

The benefits are pretty good! There even better if you are signed up for the Peak Health program. The vacation package would be better if you could buy days again.

Cons

Management is non existent! People (employees) walk all over you. There is no room for advancement.

Get managers with a backbone and a fair head on their shoulders. .

Investment Services

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great company culture. Mission is very strong, a lot of teamwork, and exceptional ethics. They strive to be the best for their clients, and have a great heritage and reputation. I'm in one if the newer markets and there is a lot of excitement for the upcoming opportunities to build profit and market share.

Cons

Being an exempt employee, the pay structure can be challenging. It's hard to make it on the lowest pay grid for incentive, also a lot is taken out from the paycheck for taxes and medical. The communication between opportunities for advancement and employees needs to be communicated better. Feels limited mobility.

Be more involved with your team, be a mentor and help them succeed by promotion as well as provide guidance to achieve the higher payouts.

Well compensated and very well treated

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Compensation is very generous when considering salary bonus plus stock bonus (requires 4 years vesting). Politics aren't very cut-throat, meaning that I haven't seen people being scapegoated or targeted. Pockets of vdry strong employees.

Cons

Slow to change. Still stuck in the "well we just do it this way" mentality, rather than embracing efficiencies. Too much hierarchy.

You can drive positive change while supporting work/life balance and while suporting your own aspirations. Be honest when setting delivery expectations and effort expectations. And don't be a fraid to escalate/report when estimates have changed.

Not enjoying

I have been working at BB&T full-time

Pros

The Cons really outweigh the Pros but the company does have good people. Working here helped develop my skills as a professional but that is everywhere.

Cons

Not really a company for millennials. Does not offer much flexibility. The company does not allow you to work from home when it makes sense much and there is not much opportunity for growth. BB&T is so far behind other banks on its systems also. It is 2014 and the bank's system are very outdated.

Let people work from home sometime and maybe millennials would be happy at this company.

Awesome company !!

Former Employee - Non-Manager in Clearwater, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Non-Manager in Clearwater, FL (US)

I worked at BB&T full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great management that is very knowledgeable, professional, and fair. It feels like a small company in that you feel a teammate atmosphere.

Cons

Benefits are fair. Not a lot of room for advancement unless you have a masters degree.

Keep being a great place to work.

Great benefit, lower salary compared to peer institutions.

Current Employee - Liability Risk Technical Analyst in Charlotte, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Liability Risk Technical Analyst in Charlotte, NC (US)

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible management, great benefits, dedication to employees, employee wellbeing is a big thing

Cons

salary seems to be lower than market average for similar roles and/or institutions. i have heard many peers in other LOBs say similar.

non-client contact positions -- relax the dress code!

Strong company whose front line employees are haunted by uncertainty

Current Employee - Branch Banker Team Leader
    Current Employee - Branch Banker Team Leader

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The bank's training and development infrastructure is exceptional, I am consistently impressed by how much more competent BB&T front-line employees are than those that staff competing institutions. The bank also pays reasonably well, and the sales incentives are attainable at the branch level.

The healthcare and retirement benefits are significantly better than those offered by competing institutions.

This bank is certainly making money and has an extremely loyal following among small businesses due to low employee turnover. Since there is low turn-over, there is a sense of teamwork/camaraderie that is hard to create in banking.

Cons

While the sales incentives are pretty attainable, the sales pressure is significant, though you will get that in any banking role.

My biggest pet peeve is the growing feeling that "something is up" with our branch model, and that information is being withheld from branch staff about upcoming changes. It is difficult to be motivated when your personal trajectory is unclear.

We have had 0 communication from regional management regarding the changes to the branch and platform roles. Radio silence.

I would like more intensive advancement training opportunities offered within the regions (such as securities licenses, etc.). This would enable more branch employees to progress in their careers and prevent the "hard disconnects" with their clients when their favorite points of contact are forced to move to another state to advance in the bank.

You want the truth? Here's the truth for the Retail Banking Division.

Former Employee - Relationship Banker II in Baltimore, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Relationship Banker II in Baltimore, MD (US)

I worked at BB&T full-time (less than an year)

Pros

BB&T takes pride in training. I would say they have one of the BEST training programs in town.

Benefits/Compensation (Total Package) is on par with what you expect in the Washington DC Metropolitan area.

Cons

BB&T's Leadership is way out of touch with the current situation of retail banking. With the aid of technology (e.g., mobile banking), consumers do not have the need to come into the branches as much; however the goals remain extremely high - almost unachievable. Tactics used to reach your individual goals is questionable at best.

The retail branch is run by Branch Bankers (formerly known as Relationship Bankers). Your Market Leader (Branch Manager) is focused on loans and building the business pipeline. However, in most branches your Market Leader will say it's up to the Branch Banker to ensure they have Planed Purposeful Call (PPCs) on their calendar. So, in essence you have to build your individual pipeline as well as your Market Leader pipeline.

BB&T provides wonderful sales tools (e.g., Hoovers), but in most cases it will not turn into sale opportunities. They also provide you internal list, but nothing to promising comes from the leads.

Your best bet of survival at this bank is to go into an ideal branch where everyone works together (this includes Market Leaders), work at a busy branch, or adopt some questionable sales tactics.

In sum, if you're seeking a Branch Banker position, you have to have your sales game on par. They [BB&T] will tell you they are here for the consumer, but really it what's in it for them. If you are about building a meaningful relationship with your customer-THIS IS NOT THE PLACE FOR YOU!!

SPECIAL NOTE: If you don't hit goals, be prepared for the boot. This is the message that was delivered to employees a week ago by senior leadership: "We got help them to the door as fast as possible"

Being a hard worker and nice DOES not pay off....SALES IS THE NAME OF THE GAME...NO EXCUSE. Don't make numbers, be prepared for a call night.

Get back to basics. Provide emotional intelligence training for your Market Leaders. Come from behind the desk and work a week in the branches. You create these LOFTY goals and blame employees for not reaching them when they are in most cases unattainable.

BB&T is a strong financial institution and ideally puts the client first

Current Employee - Branch Banker (Formerly Relationship Banker) in Westminster, MD (US)

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great training for your position, ideally client focused. good brand name (for now).

Cons

outrageously high sales goals (recently increased), short staffing makes day to day operations tough and providing the PCE nearly impossible. detached management. down training (IE managers have to be tellers and bankers, bankers have to be tellers, etc).

pay attention to branch level staff, adequately staff branches, this will hurt their long term