BB&T

Updated 20 November 2014
3.2

BB&T Chairman & CEO Kelly S. King
Kelly S. King

Pros
  • This bank pays better than any other and you get an incredible work/life balance (in 31 reviews)

• Decent balance of work/life and good benefits with the company (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • In my specific role, there was not room for advancement (in 13 reviews)

• Micro-managing, unrealistic sales goals and high pressure from management (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome company !!

Former Employee - Non-Manager in Clearwater, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Non-Manager in Clearwater, FL (US)

I worked at BB&T full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great management that is very knowledgeable, professional, and fair. It feels like a small company in that you feel a teammate atmosphere.

Cons

Benefits are fair. Not a lot of room for advancement unless you have a masters degree.

Keep being a great place to work.

Great benefit, lower salary compared to peer institutions.

Current Employee - Liability Risk Technical Analyst in Charlotte, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Liability Risk Technical Analyst in Charlotte, NC (US)

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible management, great benefits, dedication to employees, employee wellbeing is a big thing

Cons

salary seems to be lower than market average for similar roles and/or institutions. i have heard many peers in other LOBs say similar.

non-client contact positions -- relax the dress code!

My experience at BB&T can be explained as a rollercoaster ride.

Current Employee - Teller in Norfolk, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Teller in Norfolk, VA (US)

I have been working at BB&T part-time (more than an year)

Pros

This job has great benefits and they match your 401k plan. You're not made to sell products however you must call people a couple times a day. Plus, I only worked every 3rd Saturday. It was required that you work every Saturday. It's a great entry level job for someone who has normal retail experience. Paid holidays as well.

Cons

Had very catty women working there making the environment unbearable. My manager didn't push his team a lot.He spent more time in his office watching sports on his phone instead of going out and getting clientele for the branch. They also have many unnecessary rules and it's easy to get in trouble over small things as a teller.

Get more males to work as tellers for your company. Women can be very catty and high school like. Thoroughly interview the people who are prospects for working there because a lot of times, these people are putting on fake facades.

Company has a good culture.

Current Employee - Branch Banker in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Branch Banker in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very good training, good culture, values-driven company. People are extremely friendly and very supportive of each other.

Cons

Very conservative ways to do business, traditional values. I work in Texas and its hard to line up the traditional ways to Texas way of doing business.

More coaching would definitely be useful

Benefits are great, chance for advancement-slim, company is downsizing

Former Employee - Senior Teller
    Former Employee - Senior Teller

I worked at BB&T part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits are great! Hope they continue for current and future employees.

Cons

Business is so busy, growth may not be given in case the employee diligently seeks. It is a job and one must not take it for grant it.

Use more positive reinforcement

Market Leader II

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

Good benefits, pension, 401 (K), overall mission and vision minded to be the best of the best in banking.

Cons

Work-life balance is very difficult if you are a clustered manager. Upper management is spread very thin and could not possibly understand the difficulties of branch management with their large number of direct reports and responsibilities.

Good place to work

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

Fellow employees attitudes in the area I work with pitch in to get the job done.

Cons

The inability for some to adapt to the constant changes mostly due to having to meet changing Government regulations.

Great Company, Strong Values, Stellar Training and Growth Potention...IF you drink the Kool-Aid

Former Employee - Business Loan Administration Credit Analyst I in Winston-Salem, NC (US)

I worked at BB&T full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

BB&T offers top-notch training for employees. Pay for mid-to-high-level positions is somewhat competitive, though not enough to compensate for sub-par job location in many instances. Opportunities for growth abound, both within departments and inter-departmentally. Annual reviews are thorough (sometimes to a fault). Promotions are, for the most part, based on skills and performance. Training and experience gained at BB&T are easily transferable to other financial institutions.

Cons

Corporate headquarters are in Winston-Salem, so the company loses many qualified high performers due to desired relocation. There is obvious and pervasive promotional preference given to graduates of the highly-valued (internally, at least) Leadership Development Program. The Company constantly creates new positions based on particular projects, which are often ambiguous and poorly defined. Freedom of thought is stifled, and team members who question processes or management are often stifled in their career growth (rather than commended for thinking outside the "BB&T Box"). Employees with a proven track record are often able to find comparable or higher-level positions with other financial institutions, often for significantly higher pay (pro for individuals, con for BB&T).

BB&T does a phenomenal job of indoctrinating employees into the corporate culture and values. E-level management is impressive and seems to have a finger on the pulse of the Organization. However, the siloed department structure can create an environment in which team members are unable to communicate or voice unfiltered feedback to multiple chains of command.

Stressful, management plays favorites

Former Employee - Market Leader in Bradenton, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Market Leader in Bradenton, FL (US)

I worked at BB&T full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, great coworkers, Bank Holidays

Cons

Short staffed makes it hard to do your job and reach goals. No loyalty

Nice place to work

Current Employee - Cashier in Mobile, AL (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Mobile, AL (US)

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than an year)

Pros

CEO was very friendly and made a point to visit the different branches in the area and personally introduce himself. I felt that allowed me to feel like an important part of the company as a whole.

Cons

Local "upper management" at main branch not very reliable (would not follow up/ through with concerns brought to her attention) at the time; however I believe that person is no longer with the company.