BB&T Reviews

Updated 29 August 2014

3.3

BB&T Chairman & CEO Kelly S. King
Kelly S. King

Pros
  • This bank pays better than any other and you get an incredible work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• They have very good benefits and opportunities for advancement (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • In my specific role, there was not room for advancement (in 12 reviews)

• no room for advancement, sales goals that are met are never appreciated (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Company

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people are really genuine. The benefits are fantastic! The company truly has a strong culture that they operate by. Hard work is often recognized.

Cons

Communication through the company can be lacking and disorganized. They tend to treat the people who work in corporate headquarters better than anyone else in the footprint.

The company has been good to me in the time I worked there.

Current Employee - Senior Teller
    Current Employee - Senior Teller

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

BB&T is a good company to work for, there is opportunity to grow and make a career.

Cons

The part that is not working for me is the schedule. It changes every week and I don't feel I have the freedom to work with my time.

Good to start with and grow

Current Employee - Certified Relationship Banker II  in  Virginia Beach, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Certified Relationship Banker II in Virginia Beach, VA (US)

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great training, positive people, very supportive

Cons

Regional managers have no understanding at branch level of what it takes to be Successful.

Needs to be more involved in branches

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

BB&T Once Was a Great Company to Work For

I worked at BB&T full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent benefits and office hours are nice

Cons

What has happened to this bank? Thank God I left July 2014! I became part of BB&T in a merger and was immediately pleased and loved the company I worked for. All associates and managers were nice and super supportive. The past year - year and a half... morale is TERRIBLE! This is probably due to enormous layoffs in 2013 and 2014. Unfortunately now if you are an employee or client of BB&T, you are only a number. No appreciation shown for consistently being a top performer. I don't know what went wrong other than maybe John Allison retiring. BB&T is banking BIG BUCKS- why jeopardize your reputation of "PCE" to your clients? I have never seen a bank with so little employees inside. Clients do not like it and frankly- it's NOT SAFE.

What is going on? I was with BB&T for 7 years and was considered a top performer consistently. Morale is HORRIBLE. I know everyone in top management is angry at declining service scores. I am going to be really honest with you... get used to it. By eliminating people in the branch, clients have to wait long periods of time and they don't like it... no matter how you spin it. I feel you have made too drastic and detrimental decisions lately. The Small Town USA's of BB&T are not going to like this change. Unfortunately, you are losing very valuable employees because they are getting better jobs where they are treated better (that is including me- yes I was CONSISTENTLY a top performer). Treat your employees like they are number and they will start doing the same to your clients. Have more realistic views of how a branch ACTUALLY operates than looking on paper and thinking you know how one does. I am very very sad to leave my clients and my associates...what a shame. Think about people and not numbers... this includes clients and associates. Follow your own values.

My department was better than the overall corporation

Former Employee - Digital  in  Raleigh, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Digital in Raleigh, NC (US)

I worked at BB&T full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people are awesome. Work-life balance was great (good vacation) and the company is very ethical and promotes family values. I had an awesome supervisor. He/She was "one of us" before getting promoted, so really understood the work.

Cons

In my specific role, there was not room for advancement. Once my boss got promoted, that's it -- they would have to leave before another opp for advancement came open. (We were a pretty specialized team.) So, it was out-to-go-up for me. I think Senior Management (outside of our building), and some of the product managers as well, had no idea what we did on a day-to-day, or how specialized/difficult it was. So, I think we were under-appreciated outside of our team.

Also, even though we were a non-client-facing team, we had to dress the part ("because everyone else has to.")

Pay folks what they are worth. Don't use outdated comps to justify low salaries. Let those who don't see clients -- ever -- enjoy a relaxed dress code.

Good place to work

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

Pay is OK. Not the best in the industry but not the worst. You are also able to have a good work life balance. When projects are due you will be expected to work until your part is completed, but normally the pace is reasonable.

Cons

Advancing in your career can be a challenge. Some people stay in their same role forever. You must make your own path as management doesn't seem to promote from within based on job performance alone. It can be done but networking is key.

Watch for employees who perform beyond their job grade and promote from within. This will make employees feel worthwhile so they continue to perform at a high level.

Don't think this is a small, community bank anymore!

Former Employee - Market Leader II  in  Marietta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Market Leader II in Marietta, GA (US)

I worked at BB&T full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

time off, employees you work with.

Cons

Not good management training, conference calls on Mondays and Fridays where you get yelled out for not making your numbers. Events, working more than 1 saturday a month, no comp time for saturday. short staffed, when they loose someone, they don't replace them. Management makes you think that you have it good but you really don't. Treat their manager's like crap! The whole culture has changed with John Allison retiring. Employees are miserable, management gets blamed for everything. You are always pulled in 100 different directions. Sales, sales, sales even if the client doesn't need it!

Don't ridicule the managers when they don't make their numbers or if they do, don't just brush it off! Treat people like professionals.

At least they have a pension plan

Current Employee - Branch Banker III
    Current Employee - Branch Banker III

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Clients are amazing. Having holidays off is nice. Birthday off is nice. What would be awesome would being able to go on vacation when you have it scheduled. What good is it to have 4 weeks of vacation if you can't use it:(

Cons

Salary
    Hours
    Resources
    Empathy
    Motivation from management default response "be thankful you even have a job"

I think BBT has dug itself in a hole and I really don't see them being able to get out of it. Hopefully they will get bought out by someone who knows what they are doing.

A good learning experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Learn many aspects of retail banking and personal finance. You will learn how to advise clients to achieve financial success.

Cons

Restructuring of the company has lead to an exodus of employees. Managers have become micromanagers and constantly threating about future employment. The tides are rough.

The vision about helping clients has been lost.

Branch banker IV

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

Pay is better than competitors,

Cons

Under staff, 6 day week schedule,

Worked for BB&T? Contribute to the Community!