BB&T Reviews

Updated 17 October 2014
3.2

BB&T Chairman & CEO Kelly S. King
Kelly S. King

Pros
  • This bank pays better than any other and you get an incredible work/life balance (in 30 reviews)

• Decent balance of work/life and good benefits with the company (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • In my specific role, there was not room for advancement (in 12 reviews)

• Micro-managing, unrealistic sales goals and high pressure from management (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

This is a great company to work for.

Former Employee - Business Service Assistant in Reno, NV (US)
    Former Employee - Business Service Assistant in Reno, NV (US)

I worked at BB&T full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

BB&T gives employees excellent training and the company provides great benefits There is always someone to contact to assist employees and customers when needed. I enjoyed my time with the company and would love an opportunity to return.

Cons

The company is based on the east coast and opted not to maintain offices in Nevada.

I believe the company could grow and proper in the Nevada market.

Good place to work

I worked at BB&T

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Communication was lacking at times.

My co-workers were like family.

Former Employee - Certified Senior Teller in Fayetteville, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Certified Senior Teller in Fayetteville, NC (US)

I worked at BB&T part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My hours were pretty set, and my supervisor was awesome at scheduling. I really enjoyed the clients as well.

Cons

Huge emphasis on selling products, and large turnover.

Have a better system for float or fill in tellers.

Too many politics

Former Employee - Semi-technical In Nature
    Former Employee - Semi-technical In Nature

I worked at BB&T full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Better than average benefits. Solid overall company that is not going bankrupt any time soon.

Cons

Difficult to move to other departments. Too many games played, once it's determined that you're not happy in your current department. The fraternity boy types are rewarded with managerial jobs, because they all golf and hang out together, or they've found their way into a manager's heart higher up the food chain. If you tell the truth, and it is determined that management is culpable, it will be ignored or you will be ostracized. Great place to be a manager, as long as you're good at the social game, brown-nosing, and politicking (as long as you're aligned with the people that win that game, otherwise you'll eventually be shown the door or be pigeon-holed into a dead-end career). Technology is a bit limited, and they've taken all of their training dollars away, except for "important" resources like developers making their highest visibility tool.

Listen to your employees when they complain, and make real changes. Provide training, or your employees' skill sets will become stagnant. Realize that you have a real problem in some of your departments as it pertains to management. If employees in a given division are complaining about their management, they can't ALL be wrong, can they?

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Credit Analyst
    Current Employee - Credit Analyst

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Solid career advancement, promotions are done mostly internally, very mutually supportive atmosphere, low employee turnover, and fantastic training programs.

Cons

Typically lower salaries than other competitive banks.

Good place to work

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

Schedule was flexible and manager was family friendly

Cons

I was a contractor so lack of benefits was the only con.

Great Company, Bad Management

Current Employee - Teller
    Current Employee - Teller

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful benefits, Great Peak health program that helps pay for insurance. Training programs

Cons

Working on Saturdays, Management is less than Good. No two branches are the same. Its not easy to advance if you are a woman, Cutbacks and hiring freezes are constantly hurting the teller line which hurts the clients. I work at a very small branch that is used to the same people, but since i have been here we are on our 3rd RB (now BB) lost multiple bodies here that are not replaced. Many branches have been severely hurt by the latest "cut backs". We do not feel important as a team. We used to have Teller appreciation week every year but that has stopped and we are not even recognized anymore. If we are the "FACE" of BB$T then we should be shown that we are cared about. We feel undervalued and overlooked. Morale is down to almost 0%!!

Take a Good look at your Market leaders. They are not doing the job you think they are. They are cutting out early on days they shouldn't, and not going on "sales calls". Instead they are using that time to do personal things.Look at the smaller branches that you are hurting with these cutbacks. The more you cut back the less people are walking in the door. They have lost their trust in us as a company. And bring the goals down to a more realistic number. Smaller branches can not do the same as these larger branches do.

New management in Processing/Underwriting with no knowledge of Mortgage experience and implements unnecessary processes that doesn't pertain to the job.

Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Processor in Greer, SC (US)
    Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Processor in Greer, SC (US)

I worked at BB&T full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Only working 8 hours and good benefits.

Cons

No overtime, horrible salary, horrible management, inexperience associates.

Learn your role and mortgage guidelines. Don't be stupid!!

Coasting along

Current Employee - IT Person in Raleigh, NC (US)
    Current Employee - IT Person in Raleigh, NC (US)

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits The so called Perfect Client Experience philosophy...it just needs to be consistently enforced.

Cons

Good ol'e boy system Not what you know but who you know that gets you promoted
    Management still running the bank like a small town bank rather than a progressive regional bank

Listen to the people down below and not your direct reports or those in management to get the real picture. Next time you do a RIF look at the management team and eliminate the dead wood. You are not going to get more done with less working staff. We need some new management who DO have the values and ethics of BB&T. We don't need anymore of those that have experience from other places but not our PCE values.

Decent pay, but lack of help from Executives

Current Employee - Bank Teller
    Current Employee - Bank Teller

I have been working at BB&T part-time (more than an year)

Pros

They pay is pretty good for a bank teller. I don't receive benefits but from my other coworkers it seems OK and even better when you reach a managing level. Also, i think after 5 or 10 years or working there you get an added week of vacation with a maximum of 5 weeks paid vacation in a year. I have heard of their pension plans and my manager appreciates that when she retires.

Cons

Recently they have been making huge changes and issued a hiring freeze since the beginning of summer. My branch, along with other branches, have been short handed. Customers have not been happy due to the longer wait lines and lack of staff that they are accustomed to. Now we are told to work with what we have and everyone has to do more but not get compensated for the extra responsibilities. They still want us to hit our sales goals and pinch every penny as in save every pen and paper. They charge a lot of fees to clients which they have stated is their strategy to improve numbers for their shareholders. Why is BB&T's fee to cash a check one of the highest if not the highest compared to other banks. Meanwhile the busy bees have to handle the upset clients and then the guys upstairs wonder why we don't hit our numbers. Everyone has been frustrated and many people I've heard had given their notice when all this madness started. Each branch needs to bring in more with less. Also, their software needs a complete update! It takes so long to process a transaction and we waste so much paper. We don't even have pinpads to swipe a card. Also, I have not seen a large national bank who needed their customers to write a check in order to withdraw cash. I found that very backwards and outdated. And install the no envelope deposit ATMs at every location. You are losing a lot of money due to fraud at the ATMs. Not to mention you are just behind in times. Wells Fargo had those ATMs since 2008 or so.

You are starting to lose focus of the most important people, your clients. In the mission statement, it says our shareholders are number one, which I understand; however, it is your clients who generate revenue for your shareholders. Update everything, the software, the hardware, and try to reduce all the paper that is used. I don't see how you can be competitive with the big banks if you do not keep up with their level of efficiency. If I didn't work here I wouldn't bank here. Many business clients I have spoken to have been very upset with fees as well and have planned to move to a different bank.

BB&T Photos