BB&T

Updated 20 August 2014

3.3

BB&T Chairman & CEO Kelly S. King
Kelly S. King

Pros
  • This bank pays better than any other and you get an incredible work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• They have very good benefits and opportunities for advancement (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • In my specific role, there was not room for advancement (in 12 reviews)

• no room for advancement, sales goals that are met are never appreciated (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Company

Pros

The people are really genuine. The benefits are fantastic! The company truly has a strong culture that they operate by. Hard work is often recognized.

Cons

Communication through the company can be lacking and disorganized. They tend to treat the people who work in corporate headquarters better than anyone else in the footprint.

The company has been good to me in the time I worked there.

Current Employee - Senior Teller
    Current Employee - Senior Teller

Pros

BB&T is a good company to work for, there is opportunity to grow and make a career.

Cons

The part that is not working for me is the schedule. It changes every week and I don't feel I have the freedom to work with my time.

Good to start with and grow

Current Employee - Certified Relationship Banker II  in  Virginia Beach, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Certified Relationship Banker II in Virginia Beach, VA (US)

Pros

Great training, positive people, very supportive

Cons

Regional managers have no understanding at branch level of what it takes to be Successful.

Needs to be more involved in branches

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My department was better than the overall corporation

Former Employee - Digital  in  Raleigh, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Digital in Raleigh, NC (US)

Pros

The people are awesome. Work-life balance was great (good vacation) and the company is very ethical and promotes family values. I had an awesome supervisor. He/She was "one of us" before getting promoted, so really understood the work.

Cons

In my specific role, there was not room for advancement. Once my boss got promoted, that's it -- they would have to leave before another opp for advancement came open. (We were a pretty specialized team.) So, it was out-to-go-up for me. I think Senior Management (outside of our building), and some of the product managers as well, had no idea what we did on a day-to-day, or how specialized/difficult it was. So, I think we were under-appreciated outside of our team.

Also, even though we were a non-client-facing team, we had to dress the part ("because everyone else has to.")

Pay folks what they are worth. Don't use outdated comps to justify low salaries. Let those who don't see clients -- ever -- enjoy a relaxed dress code.

Good place to work

Pros

Pay is OK. Not the best in the industry but not the worst. You are also able to have a good work life balance. When projects are due you will be expected to work until your part is completed, but normally the pace is reasonable.

Cons

Advancing in your career can be a challenge. Some people stay in their same role forever. You must make your own path as management doesn't seem to promote from within based on job performance alone. It can be done but networking is key.

Watch for employees who perform beyond their job grade and promote from within. This will make employees feel worthwhile so they continue to perform at a high level.

At least they have a pension plan

Current Employee - Branch Banker III
    Current Employee - Branch Banker III

Pros

Clients are amazing. Having holidays off is nice. Birthday off is nice. What would be awesome would being able to go on vacation when you have it scheduled. What good is it to have 4 weeks of vacation if you can't use it:(

Cons

Salary
    Hours
    Resources
    Empathy
    Motivation from management default response "be thankful you even have a job"

I think BBT has dug itself in a hole and I really don't see them being able to get out of it. Hopefully they will get bought out by someone who knows what they are doing.

Good Environment for working

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst  in  Charlotte, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Charlotte, NC (US)

Pros

On job training, and a favorable environment.

Cons

Equipment is not up to date with the competition.

uiKeep up the good work

Teller

Former Employee - Tell Supervisor  in  Annapolis, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Tell Supervisor in Annapolis, MD (US)

Pros

Great training and lots of room to move up and excel. Leadership was good however corporate was always pushing them pretty hard.

Cons

Although growth in the company was often easily obtained, you would be required to complete hours upon hours of training. Almost unobtainable.

Good place to work - has some irritants like most places

Current Employee - IT Resource Planner  in  Wilson, NC (US)
    Current Employee - IT Resource Planner in Wilson, NC (US)

Pros

Compensation is great, Company really believes and practices its values for employees and customers. Opportunities for personal growth every year through training. Great life balance perks and benefits.

Cons

As companies get larger the understanding of processes between departments gets clouded. Sometimes and irritant. As always too much work and not enough hours in a day.

Holistic approach to all processes would leverage more consistency and learning between LOBs.

Working at BB&T

Current Employee - Financial Center Leader II  in  Columbia, SC (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Center Leader II in Columbia, SC (US)

Pros

Still offers pension. Still uses DOS to submit loan applications; system breaks down all the time.

Cons

Closed minded, traditional values, overtime abuse;

Worked for BB&T? Contribute to the Community!