BB&T Reviews

Updated 27 April 2015
624 reviews filtered by

Great company working to respond to a changing regulatory and competitive environment

Former Employee - Branch Banker III in Charleston, SC (US)
    Former Employee - Branch Banker III in Charleston, SC (US)

I worked at BB&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-BB&T has a great culture and history of taking care of its associates. Your benefits will be good, you will not be expected to work any hours unpaid(if not exempt), and you will be treated like an individual with the ability to make intelligent decisions. In retail banking, this is not necessarily true of many large financial institutions.
    -Ample training - I received five weeks training before beginning to see clients and ongoing training after that
    - Values - BB&T is a company that actually cares about its clients. The first time I discussed a fee refund with my manager, he literally word for word asked me what I thought "Was right for the client and right for the bank". BB&T is a for profit business focused on shareholder returns, but from executive leadership on down BB&T believes that its focus in the market is helping its clients to be successful. You won't have to deal with shady consumer finance practices like retroactive interest, hidden fees, or the other sort of crazy stuff some other financial institutions do. BB&T's product offerings, while not always the cheapest, are not meant to be abusive or deceptive.
    - Room for growth - BB&T is large and diverse with many different areas(retail banking, commercial lending, insurance services, private banking, etc) to grow into. Starting your career at BB&T provides lots of opportunities to grow both upward and to transition laterally if you realize a better fit exists

Cons

- Market Environment - BB&T is working hard to cut costs to provide competitive returns to its shareholders. This means staffing is lighter than most associates are used to and the bank has been repeatedly reorganized to promote efficiency. This is hard on the associates, but hopefully will translate to shareholder value and a more relaxed expense focus longer term
    - Large Institution - I still happy bank with BB&T after leaving, and am exceedingly happy. However, while a larger financial institution has more width and depth of services, it is still not a small bank. Even with a customer service focus, there is less local decision making than at a small local bank with only a few dozen branches.
    - Conservative - BB&T is conservative, and very risk averse. While BB&T is currently extremely well positioned in its retail lending from a competitive standpoint, there will be deals you run into where we cannot lend because BB&T is simply to risk averse. Similarly, we will not charge prices that are likely to create long term losses on other services/products to generate short term revenue. This is great for the overall company, but may make it hard to compete with other banks willing to be more risky and short sighted.

Advice to Management

Focus on providing meaningful support to associates during these more challenging times for the bank.

Don't plan on opportunity. There is a constant fear of losing jobs due to mergers. Bank has $ to buy other banks...

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

Good benefits. Growth for retail

Cons

If you are in a specific line of business, plan on doing the same thing forever

Advice to Management

Respect your employees by at least offering a cost of living raise

Not a very progressive company

I worked at BB&T full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive salaries; Balance of work/life

Cons

Strong focus on expense reduction; Little room for growth

5. Okay company

Former Employee - Vault Teller in Seminole, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Vault Teller in Seminole, FL (US)

I worked at BB&T

Pros

Good benefits and work hours

Cons

Trust no one you work with NO matter how nice they are to you.

Advice to Management

Keep a closer eye on your employees

6. Great firm!

I have been working at BB&T full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Support and training programs are outstanding, solid benefits, advancement opportunities are provided, mentoring programs are in place. Numerous career paths for ambitious, hard-working, innovative people.

Cons

consensus driven organization, decisions can take more time. Cost conservative, like most reputable financial institutions - can make expense justification more tedious.

Advice to Management

Keep lighthouse program going, continue to focus on Core Values, communicate challenges & successes in ways that are not just focussed on costs but on future benefits.

7. Bb&t

Current Employee - Branch Banker in Columbia, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Branch Banker in Columbia, MD (US)

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

Good salaries compared to other large institutions

Cons

Bb&t is a great conservative company that has some minor staffing issues due to budgeting

Advice to Management

N/a

Teller

Former Employee - Teller in Winchester, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Teller in Winchester, VA (US)

I worked at BB&T

Pros

They have great benifits, specially health insurance and pay vacation

Cons

The management can be horrible. Sometimes, that only thing they care is about sales, sales.

Advice to Management

You should respect your employees more

High pay - highly demanding

Current Employee - Branch Banker in Addison, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Branch Banker in Addison, TX (US)

I have been working at BB&T part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay was great and the benefits were nice. The place had great culture, rotating around the perfect client experience.

Cons

old system, constant system errors, outdated technology, cheap, pushy in credit card sales, and way too much drama for a bank. It's not an ideal work environment, and the system is extremely sensitive and error prone. Plus, they cross train their employees and set quota's that are IMPOSSIBLE to reach. The company has a great culture and atmosphere, but without updating to the current era (their system is 30 years old), they will fail.

Advice to Management

Please update your systems and set APPROPRIATE quotas for your employees. You'll end up stressing them out and they will quit. In addition, please lose the extremely republican attitude within the work place. it's not making your impression any better.

10. Risk Manager in Corresponding Lending

Former Employee - Risk Manager in Raleigh, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Risk Manager in Raleigh, NC (US)

I worked at BB&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exceptional benefits, one of the strongest financial institutions in the country, outstanding culture, many opportunities for advancement and flexibility with time off. The best bank I had ever worked for.

Cons

Way behind the times in IT and systems integration.

Advice to Management

Spend more on internal technology, software and on vendor technology.

11. can be worse

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

good schedule. They try to make sure you are no more than 30 miles from you house.

Cons

You won't make to much money in this company or go anywhere if you don't know somebody up there.