BB&T Reviews

Updated 31 October 2014
3.2

BB&T Chairman & CEO Kelly S. King
Kelly S. King

Pros
  • This bank pays better than any other and you get an incredible work/life balance (in 31 reviews)

• Decent balance of work/life and good benefits with the company (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • In my specific role, there was not room for advancement (in 13 reviews)

• Micro-managing, unrealistic sales goals and high pressure from management (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Very pleasant. Adored my job until recently.

I have been working at BB&T full-time

Pros

The pros to working for BB&T are that if you are at least 30 hours, you do get some benefits that FT do. The paid vacation, holidays, sick leave, 401k, health insurance is great. Most of the people that they hire have proven to be ethical. It is a very sound and solid company surviving The Great Depression and was one of the first banks to repay the bailout because we didn't need to be bailed out.

Cons

A few cons to be noted is the fierce cut back on hiring and the amount of pressure and responsibilities Corp higher ups are placing on the branch staff. SELL!!SELL!!SELL!! And with all the federal regulations, the BB&T I was hired to work for no longer has the Community Bank feel with the benefits of a BIG Bank. You can't miss a day anymore without worrying that you are going to lose your job because we are so short staffed. I don't see how they can cut anymore and they really should be recognizing how people are dropping like flies due to these issues. No work life balance at all!! Former associates that have left for smaller banks or other professions are happier than they have been in a long time.

I really hope that you didn't realize until just now by reading this, just how bad so many of us at the branch level now DESPISE the jobs we once loved so much. We talk about it all the time about how it breaks our hearts that once, we were excited to come to work, but now, we lay in bed in the mornings dreading what the day will bring and more than once or twice a week cry on our ways either to or from there. It's really sad and I am sorry that the government is running BBT through the wringer, but the REALITY that you expect, isn't real at all. You've lost a lot of really good people to smaller banks, guys, and replacing them with underhanded branch level leadership... I am seeing now why so many Americans HATE BANKERS and sadly, now, I want out, too. But just out of Banking Period. Brand new industry is calling. Thanks for the good memories, but I'll never have a good taste in my mouth due to living the nightmare.

New management in Processing/Underwriting with no knowledge of Mortgage experience and implements unnecessary processes that doesn't pertain to the job.

Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Processor in Greer, SC (US)
    Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Processor in Greer, SC (US)

I worked at BB&T full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Only working 8 hours and good benefits.

Cons

No overtime, horrible salary, horrible management, inexperience associates.

Learn your role and mortgage guidelines. Don't be stupid!!

Great Company, Bad Management

Current Employee - Teller
    Current Employee - Teller

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful benefits, Great Peak health program that helps pay for insurance. Training programs

Cons

Working on Saturdays, Management is less than Good. No two branches are the same. Its not easy to advance if you are a woman, Cutbacks and hiring freezes are constantly hurting the teller line which hurts the clients. I work at a very small branch that is used to the same people, but since i have been here we are on our 3rd RB (now BB) lost multiple bodies here that are not replaced. Many branches have been severely hurt by the latest "cut backs". We do not feel important as a team. We used to have Teller appreciation week every year but that has stopped and we are not even recognized anymore. If we are the "FACE" of BB$T then we should be shown that we are cared about. We feel undervalued and overlooked. Morale is down to almost 0%!!

Take a Good look at your Market leaders. They are not doing the job you think they are. They are cutting out early on days they shouldn't, and not going on "sales calls". Instead they are using that time to do personal things.Look at the smaller branches that you are hurting with these cutbacks. The more you cut back the less people are walking in the door. They have lost their trust in us as a company. And bring the goals down to a more realistic number. Smaller branches can not do the same as these larger branches do.

As long as you have great management you will be fine.

Current Employee - Certified Senior Teller in Savannah, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Certified Senior Teller in Savannah, GA (US)

I have been working at BB&T part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Insurance, the benefits are awesome. Pay is decent, recent cutback have resulted in low to non existant bonuses for tellers.Part time has same benefits as full time.

Cons

Management sometimes demand to much from teller line.
    Hard to transfer, or move up

Extreme penny pinchers, with a lack of long term planning.

Former Employee - Project Manager in Tampa, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Tampa, FL (US)

I worked at BB&T full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great group of employees within operations group.

Cons

A lot of red tape, office politics and limited room for growth.

Listen to your teams more.

Coasting along

Current Employee - IT Person in Raleigh, NC (US)
    Current Employee - IT Person in Raleigh, NC (US)

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits The so called Perfect Client Experience philosophy...it just needs to be consistently enforced.

Cons

Good ol'e boy system Not what you know but who you know that gets you promoted
    Management still running the bank like a small town bank rather than a progressive regional bank

Listen to the people down below and not your direct reports or those in management to get the real picture. Next time you do a RIF look at the management team and eliminate the dead wood. You are not going to get more done with less working staff. We need some new management who DO have the values and ethics of BB&T. We don't need anymore of those that have experience from other places but not our PCE values.

Decent pay, but lack of help from Executives

Current Employee - Bank Teller
    Current Employee - Bank Teller

I have been working at BB&T part-time (more than an year)

Pros

They pay is pretty good for a bank teller. I don't receive benefits but from my other coworkers it seems OK and even better when you reach a managing level. Also, i think after 5 or 10 years or working there you get an added week of vacation with a maximum of 5 weeks paid vacation in a year. I have heard of their pension plans and my manager appreciates that when she retires.

Cons

Recently they have been making huge changes and issued a hiring freeze since the beginning of summer. My branch, along with other branches, have been short handed. Customers have not been happy due to the longer wait lines and lack of staff that they are accustomed to. Now we are told to work with what we have and everyone has to do more but not get compensated for the extra responsibilities. They still want us to hit our sales goals and pinch every penny as in save every pen and paper. They charge a lot of fees to clients which they have stated is their strategy to improve numbers for their shareholders. Why is BB&T's fee to cash a check one of the highest if not the highest compared to other banks. Meanwhile the busy bees have to handle the upset clients and then the guys upstairs wonder why we don't hit our numbers. Everyone has been frustrated and many people I've heard had given their notice when all this madness started. Each branch needs to bring in more with less. Also, their software needs a complete update! It takes so long to process a transaction and we waste so much paper. We don't even have pinpads to swipe a card. Also, I have not seen a large national bank who needed their customers to write a check in order to withdraw cash. I found that very backwards and outdated. And install the no envelope deposit ATMs at every location. You are losing a lot of money due to fraud at the ATMs. Not to mention you are just behind in times. Wells Fargo had those ATMs since 2008 or so.

You are starting to lose focus of the most important people, your clients. In the mission statement, it says our shareholders are number one, which I understand; however, it is your clients who generate revenue for your shareholders. Update everything, the software, the hardware, and try to reduce all the paper that is used. I don't see how you can be competitive with the big banks if you do not keep up with their level of efficiency. If I didn't work here I wouldn't bank here. Many business clients I have spoken to have been very upset with fees as well and have planned to move to a different bank.

Rollercoaster ride

Current Employee - Branch Banker
    Current Employee - Branch Banker

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, attainable goals, work/life balance

Cons

Short staffed constantly, productive employees are not recognized for meeting or exceeding goals. Software is outdated and slow. Too much upper management, who are never seen visiting the branches to observe what cutting jobs is doing to the moral of the employees and trust of the customers,

Get out and visit the branches, branches that are meeting and exceeding there goals should not be the ones to take the biggest hits in staffing, you are setting them up to fail. Follow up on the scheduled business calls ML are setting, because they are NOT going on calls. If every ML were doing what they were suppose to we would not be cutting employees because they would be generating revenue! Wake up Management! We aren't having PK, PCE or weekly sales meetings. I know ML's who do absolutely nothing to generate business or loans, their branch bankers do all the work, or they get what walks through the door. Also did you know you have ML's who cant cover for a BB long enough for them to take a lunch? Aren't all employees entitled to get a lunch during a 9 hr day?

Happy I got out when I did.....

I worked at BB&T full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work/life balance, benefits (401k, insurance, PENSION), decent dedication to training/continuing education

Cons

The organization is crawling with B-/C+ grade level employees with little experience to fulfill current roles, advancement at BB&T is dependent on 1) interpersonal and sometimes inappropriate relationships and 2) the amount of time you've input, intelligence and work ethic are severely undervalued, middle and senior level management waiver on making clear and concise decisions which makes execution of tasks tedious and impossible, market leaders/regional presidents lack the skill set, professionalism, and influence to advance the banks loan portfolio to a higher quality, executive management has become blinded by the "we haven't lost money x amount of quarters" speech -- they've lost focus on the basic bread and butter items that made the bank TRULY profitable (if you've read How the Mighty Fall, you might be shaking your head in a "this is true", fashion, work load is often uneven, formal mentoring programs lack structure and purpose, RIF's are the new NORM, being a number instead of a person is the new NORM.

Fire non-performers. Period. No excuses or "coaching" them out. Make an example of people who are consistently nonperforming. What's the old adage -- complacency breeds contempt. Think about the implementation of changing processes and think about the full set of consequences before you roll out a process-- especially if you know you are going to change it again in 90 days. Open your pocket book and hire high performing individuals AND hire subject matter experts - not some person who did well on one job who you believe has the capability of tackling a larger, more rigorous, and CRITICAL project. Have a better succession plan -- bringing in outside senior level managers who don't appreciate, respect, or embrace the companies values is damaging, no matter how successful they were in their previous organizations.

Good & not so good

Current Employee - Certified Senior Teller
    Current Employee - Certified Senior Teller

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits such as medical & eye insurance are great. So are the vacation time & holidays.

Cons

The micro-managing & recent employee cuts are nerve-racking. Employee morale is low & client satisfaction seems to be declining. I've been with BB&T for a very long time & have never felt as insecure as I do now. I've seen managers come & go. Wish the one we have now would go.

Managers & customer service people should all pull some teller time. They need to know what we do & go through. They need to show a little more respect & appreciation. They need to decide if they want us to have a sales meeting on Monday morning or get the night deposit bags done before opening.

BB&T Photos