BB&T Reviews

Updated 11 September 2014
3.3

BB&T Chairman & CEO Kelly S. King
Kelly S. King

Pros
  • This bank pays better than any other and you get an incredible work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• They have very good benefits and opportunities for advancement (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • In my specific role, there was not room for advancement (in 12 reviews)

• no room for advancement, sales goals that are met are never appreciated (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

The company has been good to me in the time I worked there.

Current Employee - Senior Teller
    Current Employee - Senior Teller

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

BB&T is a good company to work for, there is opportunity to grow and make a career.

Cons

The part that is not working for me is the schedule. It changes every week and I don't feel I have the freedom to work with my time.

Good to start with and grow

Current Employee - Certified Relationship Banker II  in  Virginia Beach, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Certified Relationship Banker II in Virginia Beach, VA (US)

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great training, positive people, very supportive

Cons

Regional managers have no understanding at branch level of what it takes to be Successful.

Needs to be more involved in branches

Cutbacks are going to kill them in the end

Current Employee - Relationship Banker I
    Current Employee - Relationship Banker I

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is a great company to work for. They have wonderful benefits. Getting my birthday off each year is great.

Cons

This is a "good boy society". If you do not fit into that mold it is difficult to find yourself advancing. The new branch positioning is not going to be a good move for their clients or the personnel that is left in the branches.

Instead of laying people off use your best resources to better this company. The money that is spent on marketing is excessive and a lot of the brochures and posters get thrown away each week because they are constantly changing or we are getting brochures that are already expired. Start using the multicultural branches to actually reach out to the Hispanic community instead of just sticking a label on there.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

BB&T Once Was a Great Company to Work For

I worked at BB&T full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent benefits and office hours are nice

Cons

What has happened to this bank? Thank God I left July 2014! I became part of BB&T in a merger and was immediately pleased and loved the company I worked for. All associates and managers were nice and super supportive. The past year - year and a half... morale is TERRIBLE! This is probably due to enormous layoffs in 2013 and 2014. Unfortunately now if you are an employee or client of BB&T, you are only a number. No appreciation shown for consistently being a top performer. I don't know what went wrong other than maybe John Allison retiring. BB&T is banking BIG BUCKS- why jeopardize your reputation of "PCE" to your clients? I have never seen a bank with so little employees inside. Clients do not like it and frankly- it's NOT SAFE.

What is going on? I was with BB&T for 7 years and was considered a top performer consistently. Morale is HORRIBLE. I know everyone in top management is angry at declining service scores. I am going to be really honest with you... get used to it. By eliminating people in the branch, clients have to wait long periods of time and they don't like it... no matter how you spin it. I feel you have made too drastic and detrimental decisions lately. The Small Town USA's of BB&T are not going to like this change. Unfortunately, you are losing very valuable employees because they are getting better jobs where they are treated better (that is including me- yes I was CONSISTENTLY a top performer). Treat your employees like they are number and they will start doing the same to your clients. Have more realistic views of how a branch ACTUALLY operates than looking on paper and thinking you know how one does. I am very very sad to leave my clients and my associates...what a shame. Think about people and not numbers... this includes clients and associates. Follow your own values.

Total disregard of customer needs

Former Employee - Investment Counselor  in  Charlotte, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Investment Counselor in Charlotte, NC (US)

I worked at BB&T full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

prestige of working in finance, wear tie to work, decent benefits, single girls

Cons

total attention to dollars of commissions produced. sell high commission annuities even though junk

put customers first

Don't think this is a small, community bank anymore!

Former Employee - Market Leader II  in  Marietta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Market Leader II in Marietta, GA (US)

I worked at BB&T full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

time off, employees you work with.

Cons

Not good management training, conference calls on Mondays and Fridays where you get yelled out for not making your numbers. Events, working more than 1 saturday a month, no comp time for saturday. short staffed, when they loose someone, they don't replace them. Management makes you think that you have it good but you really don't. Treat their manager's like crap! The whole culture has changed with John Allison retiring. Employees are miserable, management gets blamed for everything. You are always pulled in 100 different directions. Sales, sales, sales even if the client doesn't need it!

Don't ridicule the managers when they don't make their numbers or if they do, don't just brush it off! Treat people like professionals.

At least they have a pension plan

Current Employee - Branch Banker III
    Current Employee - Branch Banker III

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Clients are amazing. Having holidays off is nice. Birthday off is nice. What would be awesome would being able to go on vacation when you have it scheduled. What good is it to have 4 weeks of vacation if you can't use it:(

Cons

Salary
    Hours
    Resources
    Empathy
    Motivation from management default response "be thankful you even have a job"

I think BBT has dug itself in a hole and I really don't see them being able to get out of it. Hopefully they will get bought out by someone who knows what they are doing.

Goals to High or unattainable for smaller markets

Former Employee - Former FCL  in  Auburn, AL (US)
    Former Employee - Former FCL in Auburn, AL (US)

I worked at BB&T full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

They were good when they first took over our Colonial Bank, Lots of support and training.

Cons

After 2 years they became the wicked "stepmother" Getting rid of all the older people that had 15+ years to avoid paying the higher salaries. Not good to employees, Always asked to do more with less, They change titles too much. After hours call nights to get accounts.

There have been a lot of changes since I left, Some are better. Upper magmt does not care about the employees, they just want results and does not care how they are achieved. The FCL s are not allowed to make decisions and can't approve their own loans. Therefore how are you to reach loan goals? Lots of things kept from Kelly King that is so sad,

Good company for starting a career in the financial industry.

Current Employee - Production Manager  in  Wilson, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Production Manager in Wilson, NC (US)

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great training program and great health benefits program. Still offers a pension plan.

Cons

The company limits internal progression by basing movement ability on current job grade rather than basing on actual qualifications. The company also has great values but not all areas of the company actually understand, live, and teach those values. The company also faces struggles with technology and system development; consistently trying to develop applications and programs in house where it is obvious that is not a strength of the company.

I think BB&T is not sure of the road ahead.

I worked at BB&T

Pros

good benefits; still offering pension

Cons

misguided management; need to define a direction

Bring in some new blood.

BB&T Photos

Worked for BB&T? Contribute to the Community!