BJ's Restaurants

www.bjsrestaurants.com

BJ's Restaurants Reviews

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Greg Trojan

Pros
  • Possibility to make good money if your a closing server(in 12 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, when working with a (literally) almost hundred other servers, easy to get a shift covered(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours, crappy clientele, high turn-over thus servers are not very good(in 9 reviews)

• You have a script to follow and secret shoppers come in to grade you, if you don't say the right things you could be fired(in 7 reviews)

BJ's is a fast paced and fun restaurant to work for.

Host (Former Employee) Huntington Beach, CA (US)

ProsI worked during the busy summer months, so there was always something going on, I was never bored. If you are a host, which I was, you got a free meal, every time you worked. It was a great summer job.

ConsYou could never predict how late you were going to be working, it all depended on the crowds. It was difficult to plan to do anything after work.

Positive.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat potential for growth.

ConsEasy to get over looked.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Hard work, but great people

Service Assistant (Former Employee) Gainesville, FL (US)

ProsProfessional level of food service - a place to be proud of
    Great scheduling system
    Comraderie amongst coworkers
    Recognition and appreciation for hard work

ConsHard work - lots of heavy lifting, walking, and competing demands
    Lower-tier workers tend to get the short end of the stick (servers are prized)

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not take advantage of your hardest lower-tier workers - they are what your restaurant is built upon.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very corporately structured, annoying management

Server (Former Employee) Boulder, CO (US)

ProsIt is a big restaurant so it is easy to fly under the radar. Very easy to get shifts covered and time off.

ConsThe restaurant is overstaffed, and treated like children. The management seems to assume that nobody is competent.

Advice to Senior ManagementA few easy changes would be extremely beneficial. Simple things like letting employees roll up their sleeves would do wonders.

Mixed Review

Server (Former Employee)

ProsOverall, the income was substantial and, for the most part, the hours were flexible enough to attend school while employed. There were some managers who were excellent. Unfortunately, the best ones did not stay at the store due to conflict with managers who were sub-par.

ConsAs a former server in many restaurants, I considered this restaurant to be a particularly challenging environment. Perhaps it was just my store, but I found the management team to be lacking in several areas such as communication, organization, and consistency. The KM was a particularly difficult person with which to work. The amount of side-work was sometimes overwhelming during and after a difficult shift. In addition, it was next to impossible to move up in this company despite consistent positive feedback.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be wonderful if the opinions of all employees were taken into consideration especially when there has been a high turnover in management. In addition, the training program should be improved and regulated more strenuously. Also, some consideration should be given to decreasing the amount of side-work or, at the very least, evaluating the amount of side-work per server.

Poor management team

Server (Former Employee) San Bruno, CA (US)

ProsQuick cash, free food if untipped position, great co-workers

ConsDepending on what city, the type of crowds can either make or break a shift. Management only care about the numbers

Bjs

Bartender (Former Employee)

ProsOpportunity to move up in the company if desired.

ConsBecause they are corporate, each restaurant is unable to adapt to the local market as needed.

Good Company To Work For

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere is a lot of opportunity in this company as it continues to grow

ConsSeems to be growing to quick which may backfire. Salaries could be a bit better

Great Growth and Salary Potential, Hard Work/Life Balance

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsSalary + Bonus is great, as well as health benefits, 401K, etc. GM's can top 100K including bonus if they stick around long enough. Lots of corporate structure to support and guide you, you always know exactly what is expected of you.

ConsIf you have a GM that is hard to communicate with it can make it difficult to get certain days off or have a positive work environment. BJ's also expects a lot of work hours from managers, and holidays are blacked out for vacation, so you'll never get to see your family during those important times of the year.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to have a rotation system so that you can earn your way to eventually taking time off during Christmas/Thanksgiving.

"I LOVE THIS PLACE"

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNever a dull moment! Always busy! Great location!

ConsParking can be a challenge, for some especially around the holidays/wkends...if your not aware of the 4 levels/parking.

Advice to Senior ManagementU Rock!

Worked for BJ's Restaurants? Contribute to the Community!