BJ's Restaurants

Updated 20 September 2014
Updated 20 September 2014
3.2

Greg Trojan

Pros
  • Possibility to make good money if your a closing server (in 12 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, when working with a (literally) almost hundred other servers, easy to get a shift covered (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours, crappy clientele, high turn-over thus servers are not very good (in 9 reviews)

• You have a script to follow and secret shoppers come in to grade you, if you don't say the right things you could be fired (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Nice scheduling system, lots of hours.

Current Employee - Prep Cook  in  Fort Collins, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Prep Cook in Fort Collins, CO (US)

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants full-time for less than a year

Pros

Easy hot schedules online system.
    Easy to pick up shifts or get them covered.
    High pay for someone with not is much kitchen experience.
    Willing to work with availability
    Great crew members

Cons

There are so many employees that individualized attention is hard to come by

This is an awesome and organized place. Just pay attention it each individual employee a little more.

Great company

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Puyallup, WA (US)
    Current Employee - General Manager in Puyallup, WA (US)

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great pay. Upper management cares about their people. Tons of room for growth

Cons

Balance of life and work

Great

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants part-time

Pros

Works with school schedule and make great tips

Cons

Large menu that you have to know all of it

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hostess

Former Employee - Hostess  in  Elk Grove, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Hostess in Elk Grove, CA (US)

I worked at BJ's Restaurants part-time for more than a year

Pros

I got along very well with the other hostesses and waitstaff.

Cons

Not fair to their employees. After working at BJ's for a year and a half I wanted to switch locations because I had moved. Instead of handling the situation in a professional manner the management wouldn't approve it or give me a good reason as to why they wouldn't. I went into my former and the location I wanted to move to several times only to be ignored. Very upsetting as I had worked there as head hostess for over a year.

Be fair to your employees!

Very frustrating

Current Employee - Host/Takeout/Foodrunner  in  Carlsbad, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Host/Takeout/Foodrunner in Carlsbad, CA (US)

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants part-time for more than a year

Pros

Hotschedules is a great schedule website. Very easy to pick up and drop shifts and send messages to other employees.

Cons

Both BJs locations I have worked at have made it so hard to move up. They are way too saturated with servers and there is a big line to stand in for promotions, so it is pretty much impossible to become a server if you don't start out as one. Team members at my second location are corporately brainwashed and I don't feel like I can trust my coworkers to have my back, making it hard to foster friendships at work.

Give team members credit for hard work. Don't make it so impossible for people to move up when they have earned it. Doing so demotivates employees so that they have no drive to work hard because they have no chance of serving, which is where the real money is.

if youwant to move up be a food runner

Former Employee - Host  in  City of Industry, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Host in City of Industry, CA (US)

I worked at BJ's Restaurants part-time

Pros

Very easy job.Al you have to do is smile have a good attitude which are good fundamentals but if you want to eventually serve i would say start off as food runner.you get to learn the meals and get use to the fast paste atmosphere.

Cons

You only do so much work.you organize the restaurants seating .greet customers.

Give the host tip instead of free food.I rather earn extra tip than get free food .Tip is a good motivation tool,it encourages you to go the extra mile.Even if its that waiter bringing in the tip and you get part of it can push you to go beyond just being a host and helping everyone out in order the overall Restaurant performance.

learned alot

Former Employee - Server  in  Sacramento, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Server in Sacramento, CA (US)

I worked at BJ's Restaurants part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

learned how to work a cash register , how to communicate efficiently with guests, how to work with a sense of urgency and be on my toes, learned to multitask, worked with my school schedule well and always gave me time off when i needed it (for the most part)

learned customer service skills i can use in any job and met alot of people through it that i love

Cons

physically and mentally tiring, having to wait on people and do tedious and mundane tasks at times, and feeling like i was not appreciated for the work i did, and also feeling like i could be easily replaced. corporate rules and regulations made it safe but also was annoying at times all the things we had to adhere to. not very personal. managers made it better though. most.

advice to my GM!! try and connect more and make an effort with your employees!! maybe theyll stick around longer if you try!!!

Get it together

Current Employee - Hostess
    Current Employee - Hostess

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great supportive environment,high energy,great food,lots of employee appreciation events,hot schedules is a godsend!

Cons

unfair hour distribution,disorganization,lazy coworkers,managers allowing certain people to get away with safety rules.

Distribute the hours more fairly among your staff! it doesn't make sense for a host with a wide open schedule to work 2 days a week while someone who is in take out or is a server works 4 days a week serving + 2 shifts as a host. also, why hire more and more hosts when you can barely give hours to the ones that you already have?

consistency would make things a lot easier. it is very frustrating for one person to train you on how to do something and then someone else turns around and tells you that what you learned is completely wrong,then someone else comes and yells at you for making a huge mistake when two other experienced team members taught you how to do it that way.

Don't waste your time

Current Employee - Food Server
    Current Employee - Food Server

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants part-time

Pros

discounts
    free training meal
    its a job

Cons

poor training. poor management ommunication

Communicatioon & Respect

Work load is heavy but it is enjoyable.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants full-time for more than a year

Pros

Huge growth opportunities, new restaurant openings throughout the country. The future is very bright. The pay is higher then most in the industry

Cons

Late hours, heavy work load. The pizza slash sports bar style restaurant creates some late and long hours. Once you get that part down it is great!

Worked for BJ's Restaurants? Contribute to the Community!