BJ's Restaurants

Updated 17 August 2014
Updated 17 August 2014

3.2

Greg Trojan

Pros
  • Possibility to make good money if your a closing server (in 12 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, when working with a (literally) almost hundred other servers, easy to get a shift covered (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours, crappy clientele, high turn-over thus servers are not very good (in 9 reviews)

• You have a script to follow and secret shoppers come in to grade you, if you don't say the right things you could be fired (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Work load is heavy but it is enjoyable.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)

Pros

Huge growth opportunities, new restaurant openings throughout the country. The future is very bright. The pay is higher then most in the industry

Cons

Late hours, heavy work load. The pizza slash sports bar style restaurant creates some late and long hours. Once you get that part down it is great!

Very flexible schedule and fun to work with

Pros

Flexible Schedule
    Good money
    Fun staff
    Hotschedule scheduling system is legit

Cons

Lower income guests who don't tip at times

New style of casual dining and a fun atmosphere.

Current Employee - Server  in  Lewisville, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Server in Lewisville, TX (US)

Pros

This company has provided me with a challenging work environment as well as job stability throughout the years I've dedicated to it.

Cons

The fast paced work environment can take a physical toll after time. Additionally, the potential turn over rate can make team building a challenge.

The management staff should not change around restaurants as often.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bj's Brewhouse is an excellent stepping stone for those that want to continue their career as a server.

Current Employee - Food Server  in  Tukwila, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Food Server in Tukwila, WA (US)

Pros

The best thing about working for BJ's Restaurants is the flexibility in schedules. I often work from 5pm to 1am. Lots of room for growth within the company.

Cons

Some of the challenges with working for the company are the benefits and sometimes seasonal hours. You can work many hours during the Summer and Winter months.

I know this is a challenging opportunity for all management and I am very impressed with all management.

Great place to work, good food, good beer, good cocktails

Current Employee - FOH  in  Chandler, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - FOH in Chandler, AZ (US)

Pros

Team atmosphere, mAnahement team is good and works hard.

Cons

Lot of things to remember, very corporate, do not hire the brightest people which unfortunately explains why people complain about the service.

Hire more talented individuals to keep people coming in the door, mainly in FOH. Or you could just fire those who suck.

Nice place, great people, too many managers.

Former Employee - Front of House Server Trainer  in  Springdale, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Front of House Server Trainer in Springdale, OH (US)

Pros

1. The money. 2. The people. 3. The food. I made great money to support my family. I had great co-workers that I maintain contact with for the most part. Their food is great! Standard benefits package was nice. I do not know if they still have it but it was free as long as I worked a minimum of 33 hours and signed up for it!

Cons

Somewhat unsteady shifts. Angry guests. In the first three years went through four general managers alone. Corporate brought in a manager from outside instead of internally. Eventually the manager who should have been promoted was.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Line Cook  in  Rancho Santa Margarita, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Line Cook in Rancho Santa Margarita, CA (US)

Pros

You stay busy as hell.

Cons

Poor communication unless your Hispanic.

Motivate your employees better.

I would rate Bj's originally as an excellent employer, but it has steadily gone down hill with corporate policy's

Current Employee - Bartender  in  Chandler, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Bartender in Chandler, AZ (US)

Pros

I think that Bj's offers excellent flexibility and opportunity to make money. If you are a capable server or bartender you have definite opportunity to make money.

Cons

Very corporate and overall feeling that you are very replaceable and not important. Management is over worked and seems very frustrated with polices coming down to them. The overall feelings are stressful and not very fun.

Upper management needs to adjust their tactics for success. They are not encouraging and treat almost all staff as if they are replaceable and not needed. They need to create a better work environment and stop making every decision based off of stock price or analyst notes about company.

Some stores have great managers, but the company has gone very corporate in the last few years.

Former Employee - Server  in  Chandler, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Server in Chandler, AZ (US)

Pros

cash every day, great co workers, they use HotSchedules so its very easy to request time off or switch around shifts, easy to transfer. I worked in four different stores over six years

Cons

on slow days I'd leave with 15 dollars! very corporate atmosphere, always feel on edge at work

Seen better days. The corporate culture has taken over completely

Current Employee - Server  in  Chino Hills, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Server in Chino Hills, CA (US)

Pros

Great sense of camaraderie among team members... mgmt not so much. The pay is average but consistently getting worse with the thousands of coupons and deals we hand out wouldn't be surprised if they started giving out a coupon for the tables and chairs.

Cons

No communication whatsoever about ant menu changes or policies yet expected to abide by them. The corporation has been tightening their span of control and the atmosphere between mgmt and staff is much like a warden and inmates no trust. Within 5 years of working at the same location we have won restaurant of the year twice (a huge accomplishment supposedly) only to go through manager after manager and each new one making sure to tell us how we don't do things right...so tell me buddy, how did we get these awards then?

Quit with the revolving door in management. Whoever does the hiring please stop hiring frat boys youd find living next door to seth rogen and make sure they can actually handle the business. And if you do have to give me yet another general manager (going 5 in 5 years) make sure they have a clue or two about what they are doing

Worked for BJ's Restaurants? Contribute to the Community!