BKD

Be The First To
Add Photos

BKD Partner & CEO Ted Dickman

Ted Dickman

Pros
  • 19 an hour, no work-life balance, they trusted each intern (in 3 reviews)

• Good experience, knowledgeable partners (until mandatory retirement), lots of training during the first year (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The long hours are hard to deal with during busy season (in 6 reviews)

• Also, the staff is not very diverse like a Big 4 (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

It was okay, just not friendly to your personal life.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgood pay for an intern over $19 an hour, no work-life balance, they trusted each intern

Consthey were not friendly with questions. It seemed as if we were just there to churn out returns quickly

Tax Intern

ProsGreat training, great people to work with. Everyone was friendly and more than willing to help.

ConsLong hours but that's to be expected during busy season.

Not perfect, but still a good place to work.

ProsFlexible scheduling: as long as the work gets done and you put in the hours, no one seems to care much when you come and go.
    One month of paid time off each year. During busy season they feed us dinner twice a week plus lunch on Saturdays. They feed us breakfast on Friday year round.
    Because the audits are smaller you get to work with more clients.
    Busy season hours are reasonable - usually 50-60 hrs/wk.

ConsThe training is abysmal. Questions are not encouraged. Expect to figure things out on your own.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery friendly. Flexible scheduling. Very professional.

ConsNone that come to mind.

Intern

BKD Intern (Current Employee)

ProsPay of alright considering a trained monkey could do this job.

ConsWhere to begin... people are not very friendly.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry socializing with your employees every once in a while.

Prepare different types of tax returns.

Tax Intern (Current Employee)

ProsThe learning environment, everyone is very understanding and willingness to nurture improving techncial

ConsTraining is more trail and error prossces

Good Place to Work

ProsGood culture and good people

ConsUnderstaffed and overworked. Compensation could be better.

Been with BKD for over one year and have no issues.

ProsGreat place for learning, flexibility in schedule during 'slow' times and okay benefits. My experience with senior management has been good to this point.

ConsOnly bonus program in place is for partners and there is not 401K contribution until you have been there for two years.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo real advice to management.

Great opportunities to learn

Audit Associate (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN (US)

ProsGreat work environment, endless possibilities to learn

ConsIf you do not enjoy traveling, or flexible schedules, may not be appropriate career path

A Well Established Firm and Brand

Accounting Outsourcing Staff (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsGreat place to learn cohesion, adaptation and how to overcome professional skill gaps. Wonderful partners, managers and staff.

ConsMy local office observations are not indicative of overall firm strengths or weakness.
    Merely, for the purpose of showing loyalty to the future of Accounting Outsourcing Services at BKD, LLP, I hope this feedback is welcomed as constructive and not negative. This firm is not typical in any negative way and generally serves staff and clients wonderfully.

1) Perceived lack of value for small business services by various localized leadership.

Enterprise target markets seem to dominate focus, leaving some small to small-mid clients with less than optimum "full service" advisement or planning services, which has included succession and disaster continuity, to avoid write offs in billing.

2) Virtually zero opportunity for Non CPA paths to advancement of any kind and management lacks clarity in communication of that fact sometimes when firm goals change.

Unfortunate turnover rate due to burnout and departmental glass ceilings. The expertise lost over the last 6 years of my career with the firm, was undeniable and took a huge toll on the daily work life balance of my former colleagues and myself.

3) Slight accountability issue with in charge project oversight and coordination with supervisors, partners and staff about expectations and deadline scheduling.

Without designated or skilled client relationship managers, partners will sometimes have favorites to do the work and handle any AOS job types with specific technical skills, causing workload issues for staff and managers. Rather than cross-train, some will not take work or, simply refer outside of the organization because of staffing skill gaps that require more attentive management (also burdened with heavy workloads). Job security seems to reside in clearly, within a staffer's proprietary client knowledge.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn my observations: Through internal resource connectivity, learning and development, as well as cultural inclusion, the firm has a brilliant opportunity to capture new growth areas, sustainability, and build brand loyalty through AOS teams as a practice, rather than an administrative service. Thank you for the years of employment. They truly were valuable to my professional growth and I appreciate BKD, LLP.

Worked for BKD? Contribute to the Community!