BP

BP Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

BP Group Chief Executive of BP Robert Dudley

Robert Dudley

Pros:
  • "The work environment is fairly relaxed in most cases and the work life balance is decent"
    in 104 reviews
  • "Great environment and locations to work at Great pay and benefits as well as 401k"
    in 28 reviews
Cons:
  • "Some position will require a lot of commitment, resulting work-life balance problem"
    in 17 reviews
  • "Issues are buried within the team without letting escalation to Senior Management"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Backbone PMO Global Change Lead

Senior Change Management Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at BP as a contractor for less than a year

ProsHighly professional and driven teams with high expectation and commitment.
Driven goals and achievements throughout the company

ConsOffice location is sometimes hard to get in and out off but hopefully the move in November with help this

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat teams of motivated staff who know and understand the needs of the company
recongnise this and continue to keep the teams motivated and the company and backbone prgramme will
carry on getting better

Company with great potential if only we could convert this to great performance results.

Communications (Current Employee)

I have been working at BP full-time for more than 10 years

ProsMany opportunities to do different things due to the diverse nature of the business.

ConsLeadership, values and morals a big farse. Too much emphasis on the old boys network. HR the biggest problem, top to bottom overhaul essential. HR makes and breaks the rules with impunity.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally get to know the people you lead get to know the real truth not the one your minions think you want to hear!!!

People friendly employer

I worked at BP full-time for more than 10 years

ProsLooks after its people, good salary and benefits. Work life balance is taken into consideration for all positions. I was able to grow within myself and the company. Company allows time for employees with their families in times of crisis or need. I had a great supervisor and line manager

ConsChanging shape of the business. Negative media coverage. Still to many layers of management even though trying to reduce. Difficult to get agreement on how work should be done

Potential for improvement

Procurement Specialist (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at BP as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsGood work life balance, varied project work with different disciplines, can be dynamic and interesting if in the right project or with the right team.

ConsVery procedural, very hierarchical, very slow progression potential, hard work and excellence not necessarily recognised or rewarded in promotions or financially for both contract and full time personnel.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork harder at retaining high performing individuals with managerial potential.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Good- big company

I have been working at BP full-time for less than a year

ProsFree Lunch, Good employment benefits

ConsBig company- takes al ot of time to achieve something

BP IST - Get the experience, then leave, quickly

Data Analyst (Former Employee)
London, England

I worked at BP full-time for more than a year

Pros* People are generally nice, bright, interesting and switched-on. Not a place full of flash-men.

* Culture is very consultative, lots of talking needs to get done before things go ahead - sometimes this is great, at other times this can drive you mad! The culture is more civil service than PLC.

* Management is open to working from home. Quite progressive in this regard.

* Free lunch in the canteen - you get £5 per day which is enough for a meal. A nice benefit to have in Canary Wharf where lunches can be expensive.

* 20 Canada Squareis a nice open-plan office with plenty of natural light and facilities on-site are good.

Cons* Base Salary is low by industry standards.

* BP IST is very low profile and does not even get a single line item in the companies accounts. BP does not want to be seen as a trading outfit, despite the huge profits derived from it. Feels odd working in such a shadow-organization.

* Defined pension is quite poor compared to old final salary (you get 15% of your base pay), many take all their pension in cash as part of their salary.

* Bonus is low for support staff, expect around 7% of your base salary in a good year. Unlike the rest of the BP group, there is no transparency over how this is calculated in IST.

* Constant re-orgs that surve no real purpose beyond lowering headcount and making some big-wig collect their stock options.

* Jobs for the boys, you'll only get promoted if you know the hiring manager.

* Very slow at taking on new ideas, ultra conservative and very much risk averse post Macondo.

* Constant rounds of redundancies post Macondo especially in IT&S.

* Office is top heavy with BP lifers hanging on to collect their final salary pensions.

Advice to Senior ManagementSalaries need to be increased or employees that can, will continue to jump ship to competitiors. Most similar firms in Canary Wharf will pay more.

Pension off many of the old timers, some of which are holding the company back.

Simply a perfect place where to work

I have been working at BP

ProsSalary, big projects, challenges, fantastic work/life balance

ConsToo many meetings, too much bureaucracy

Fantastic. People are supportive.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at BP as an intern

ProsKey player in the industry.

ConsDoes not provide facilities for interns

Advice to Senior Managementa

BP Review

I&C Engineer (Current Employee)
Aberdeen, Scotland

I have been working at BP full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood company to work for, good career recognition and development opportunities. Decent pay and training opps.

ConsNot the most attrcative payscales in the market. Need to better the way BP markets itself in the market.

Advice to Senior Managementd

Very nice environment

I worked at BP

Prosvery nice office. Biggest business park

ConsLunch is for permanent staffs only. So it's a bit odd to watch.

Worked for BP? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BP reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for BP CEO Robert Dudley. All 695 reviews are posted anonymously by BP employees.