BT

BT Reviews

Updated Apr 22, 2014

BT Chief Executive Ian Livingston

Ian Livingston

Pros:
  • "Best work/life balance of any company I've ever worked for"
    in 39 reviews
  • "Great work life balance and ability to work from home to be more effective"
    in 18 reviews
Cons:
  • "no work life balance, you may get leave but will be working on vacation also"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Senior management too accountant-heavy meaning the focus is on costs and not revenue"
    in 22 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Public sector with a corporate badge

Anonymous (Former Employee)
London, England

I worked at BT as a contractor

ProsLooks good on your CV ( opens doors)
Free broadband
Ok pension scheme
Good for Graduates
Shares scheme

ConsBT is company that is in decline and lacks innovation and only appears interested in keeping its shareholders happy rather than its customers. Customer service to their customers is shocking with everything outsourced offshore with appalling service.

Old school public sector mentality still prevails. It was like working for the public sector, only difference is they are on the FTSE 100.

Everything is cheap cheap, torn up furniture at BT centre ( Banyard house is shocking) with technology from the dark ages ( cheap blackberry's and brick laptops)

They do not care about their staff, with a culture of bullying, backstabbing arrogant and egotistical people some who are very unpleasant. The performance management was a joke which is designed to manage people out as BT do not have a redundancy policy. Every seemed to be designed to catch you out.

If your face does not fit and your not part of the click you will be in the "development needed" category. I saw competent hard working people who had worked really hard marked down for no other reason than they were not part of the click.

It was wrong.

The people who were decent just kept their heads down and looked henpecked and worn out, Slaves to the final pension scheme and instituationalised.

Don't dare show any confidence or swagger or you will very quickly be bullied.

If you a graduate BT is a good place to start off. If you are professional coming into BT beware. The right team is essential for success.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the bullying and backstabbing culture. Get your HR into gear and look after your customers instead of looking at the cheapest way to save money at the cost of your customers.

Stress

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at BT full-time

ProsJoinmed straight from school. It was a "safe" job and before privatisation the company stuck to it's values of giving good service to it's customers.

ConsStress all the time and managers with no clue. Giving very poor service to customers and blaming engineers for everything

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to remember what they're there for. Giving customers good service. At the moment most of the managers are idiots.

Bad company Culture

Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee)
Dundee, Scotland

I worked at BT full-time for more than 8 years

ProsPride in working for a communications giant and multi-national powerhouse. Interesting work, collaboration and teamwork

ConsAt the "shop floor" level, it's a jungle, populated by hungry predators. If you do decide to work for them, take great care to ensure that you don't end up with metalwork in your back. In theory, there's a collegiate spirit in the company, with co-operation and respect between the individual subsidiaries. In reality, it's a series of Fiefdoms with an internal economy which ensures that they are all trying to steal each other's lunch money.

Advice to Senior ManagementFlatten the hierarchy at Operations level. The "little management" looks to you guys for an example. A pity that none of them have the character or talent to pull it off.

Excellent training but too large to fuction. Change for changes sake

I have been working at BT full-time for more than 10 years

ProsAs with all large companies there are good people and bad people. In my experience most of the people left are hardworking. I've had some very expensive training paid for over the years

ConsOne year homeworking is "in" the next its "out" with little evidence its been thought through. I think it keeps people in jobs to impliment policy

Advice to Senior Managementappreciate the staff more

Safe company to work with committee based approach

Chief Designer (Current Employee)
Ipswich, England

I have been working at BT full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood projects if you are lucky
Work life balance
Fair salary
Job security

ConsStressful if working for the technology arm
Not dynamic
Low job satisfaction. Very little opportunity to make a difference even at senior levels

Advice to Senior ManagementRework organisation structures to reduce layers and duplication

Good company to work for

Project Manager (Current Employee)
Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at BT full-time for more than 10 years

ProsShare scheme, well paid, annual bonus provided targets are met

ConsExpected to work long hours

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider more work life balance for senior roles

Excellent place

I have been working at BT

ProsGreat managers,people,culture and innovation. If you need stability its the company you should work for

ConsProcess oriented. Can be very sluggish so needs patience

Great name to have on CV and satisfaction depends on location within company

Corporate Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at BT full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat name / company to have on CV with the occasional opportunity to learn and grow. working for BT group in HQ can be great

ConsGenerally have little faith in there employees, quote values (like honesty, straight forward, etc.) at every opportunity however have little mortal values at core, using the system and HR partners to benefit hidden agendas.

Working as lower / middle management or as team members in places other then group (ie BT Retail or Openreach) is not so good.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook in the mirror when quoting key values. Pay some real interest in your business including employees, not just overall financial figures. A simple presentation or email once a while from a marketing team stating employees mater is just not good enough

BTE - worrying times ahead..

Technical Support (Current Employee)
Birmingham, England

I have been working at BT full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI would say the new offices, but considering where they are - I won't!

ConsAn over confident management team, allowing major competitors access to our biggest customers - who are now migrating to those competitor products.

Building and designing all solutions down to the very lowest cost, and then expecting them to work.

Outsourcing support staff to India, but with call queues still rising - how long does the saying 'you get what you pay for' need to sink in to managments brains..

Figure out that the bottom line isn't allways the most important thing in the world ( unless your bonus is based on it of course!)

Zero in flight, or in role promotion prospects - in twelve years here I have known of one person be promoted to the next level up, but thats more due to no defined job structures than anything else.

A large number of staff simply waiting for sharesave to mature in Aug 2014, and so zero interest in current role.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up and realize that our competitors do have products that they can sell in our market place. RA taking customers away from us is a prime example. You have been very complacent.

Think seriously about the current outsourcing solution - increased call queues and customer unhappiness do not make good bed fellows.

Stodgy, Slow, disconnected from customer needs and too many chiefs

BT Retail Marketing (Former Employee)

I worked at BT full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLand-line Phones and Broadband monopoly? They pay really well for some truly awful people
You can literally work from home and no one knows or cares, (they are also working from home/fishing/holiday/pub/school play)

ConsDeath by committee on every decision, virtually impossible to get anyone to take a brave decision and execute a strategy. When someone finally does take the plunge and it goes wrong no one is accountable truly so no one can actually fix things, the inter-dependencies across lines of business are so complicated and messy.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell off some of the stuff that you no longer care about, Dabs, Plusnet, Openreach GS etc and focus on your retail business. Make a lot more people redundant and cut out all the stodge. Do you really think you can compete for Sport without content and vice versa, have you made sport more accessible or less?

Worked for BT? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BT reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for BT CEO Ian Livingston. All 275 reviews are posted anonymously by BT employees.