BT

BT Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

BT Chief Executive Ian Livingston

Ian Livingston

Pros
  • Not really good work life balance as Clients always keeps you on the toes(in 48 reviews)

• Great work life balance and ability to work from home to be more effective(in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • work pressure on a higher side , might impact your work life balance(in 14 reviews)

• Senior management lack honesty and there can often be a culture of intimidation through abuse of performance management(in 27 reviews)

Auditor Role

ProsExcellent company, good perks, OK Management

Conswork life balance needs to be reviewed

Good but all depends on how lucky you sre with the team you end up in & too political

Graduate Software Engineer (Current Employee) Ipswich, England

ProsGood people
    Good opportunity to train thanks to online courses.

Cons# political,
    # moving the goal post
    # find any excuse not to give you what you deserve
    # Poor moral
    # Performance management structure mean everyone is out for themselves creating a poor team environment
    # Way too many arrogant people with big egos lucky humility.
    # Same corporate spill dressed up in a new name every year.
    # Massive disconnect between managers and low level workers
    # Luck of the drew depending on team. Same level of work yields totally different rating in different teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementList to people and change the way performance management works, every three months is overkill and hinders moral.

Fair

Head of Strategy (Current Employee) London, England

ProsHonest genuine management focused on growing the company and creating a healthy organisation. Very good long term investments in place

ConsVery hard to get promoted and an obsession on 'deliverables'. You end up working very long hours to get a fair chance at a promotion

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training and motivation

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fibre Optic cable gang

Cable Layer (Current Employee) London, England

ProsDecent money, solid structured company with job security, sticks to H&S when others bend the rules

ConsTo get in as a cable layer I had to do a Psychometric Test this has 100% no relevance what so ever regarding mine or any of the gang I worked for? they are making so many people who are ground workers loose the opportunity of working for BT due to having a "Generalised" test for people who want to work for them? pipe layers cable layers digger drivers dumper drivers shouldn't be taking tests like this as it offers no true picture of someone who is qualified on lets say a digger whos spent thousands of pounds on his/her tickets for some test asking them to pick a shape to put in a hole that fits or a question about organisation? total lack of knowledge from the people at the top.

career progression

Strategy Specialist (Current Employee) London, England

Proswork - life balance; nice people

Conslow salary and strict policy on reward and promotions

Advice to Senior Managementinvest more into growing people internally and retain talents

Great Manager

Account Manager (Former Employee) Newcastle upon Tyne, England

ProsGreat Company longevity foot in the door

ConsConstant change causes the merry go round effect

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your staff informed

Overall great company to work for, though it does have its ups and downs

Head of Business Development (Former Employee) London, England

ProsBroad range of opportunities, variety, range of business activities, range of customers of all shapes and sizes, staff development, many of the people, flexible working policies. When the business does focus on a specific objective, it is good at motivating its people to achieve that and miracles can happen.

ConsInternal politics is a strong negative. The legacy of public service culture, whilst there are many opportunities, it is not as easy as you might think to access them and move across the company. Often seems very bureaucratic and slow, it is a very large company. Frequent reorganisations.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the customer and supporting your people to deliver and not on internal politics and building fiefdoms.

Corporate organisation

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsInteresting products and services to work on.

ConsMiscommunication with to many layers from top to bottom.

Advice to Senior ManagementLike the japanese structure with MD and Team Leaders and Team Members.

A company run by bullies

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England

ProsTremendous attitude and desire shown to deliver the 2012 Olympics.
    Huge excitement (and nervousness) for BT Sport.

ConsThe attitude of the executive teams .. tough and demanding high performance is perfectly fine, but unfortunately some go to far and are simply bullies, with no morals.
    The regulatory environment makes the BT group inefficient and a frustrating place to work
    Dreadful culture .. very few smiling faces

Excellent training but too large to fuction. Change for changes sake

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England

ProsAs with all large companies there are good people and bad people. In my experience most of the people left are hardworking. I've had some very expensive training paid for over the years

ConsOne year homeworking is "in" the next its "out" with little evidence its been thought through. I think it keeps people in jobs to impliment policy

Advice to Senior Managementappreciate the staff more

Worked for BT? Contribute to the Community!