BT

BT Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

BT Chief Executive Ian Livingston

Ian Livingston

Pros:
  • "Best work/life balance of any company I've ever worked for"
    in 39 reviews
  • "Great work life balance and ability to work from home to be more effective"
    in 18 reviews
Cons:
  • "no work life balance, you may get leave but will be working on vacation also"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Senior management too accountant-heavy meaning the focus is on costs and not revenue"
    in 22 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Head of Strategy

I have been working at BT

ProsNice people, good work balance, flexibility in schedule, easy to move into different business units and functions

ConsPoor leadership, greater focus on slideware v. action, poor goverance structure, management won't make decisions which results in people running around in circles

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to learn how to make decisions

Started as a graduate and stayed 8 years, it has felt like a community and really enjoyed working with the people there

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at BT full-time for more than 8 years

Pros*Lots of friendly people and a feeling of community
*Great work life balance and ability to work from home to be more effective
*Range of projects to work on, a very diverse group of people in the London offices

Cons*Being asked at parties to fix someone's broadband problems
*International opportunities limited unless in GS
*Talent pool was dissolved, felt that could not get further in company

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the focus on customer service

Professional work environment. Clear objective dissemination and tracking.

Program Manager (Former Employee)
Ipswich, England

I worked at BT as a contractor for less than a year

ProsProfessional work environment. Clear objective dissemination and tracking.

ConsSlow career growth. Decision making delays - typical of a large organization.

Great

I have been working at BT

ProsCulture was really good and really conducive to your own personal development. In addition, the scope of opportunities that BT can provide were great due to their international reach.

ConsThere are no specific cons, but the working hours can get long, however this is true for any employer in particular any FTSE 100 firm.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

BT is getting its act together, so could be great

I have been working at BT full-time for more than 3 years

ProsJob security
There are lots of new developments
High quality Group Executive Team
GS CEO highly rated
Growth areas are exciting

ConsNot all middle management are as talented as their job titles make them feel
A few low-performance, long-standing, staff trying to look after themselves rather than BT
Internal good practice is not always external good practice
Under-pressure middle management with self-serving behaviours
Cost transformation can lower morale

Advice to Senior ManagementLook out for self-serving behaviours.

Not interested in employee development

Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at BT full-time for more than 8 years

ProsJob security, work life balance, very easy business to stay in if you are not motivated to change. Lots of opportunity to try different jobs in such a big company.

ConsVery bad base pay, they constantly change sales targets during the year which makes it impossible to motivate sales people - e.g. achieve your annual target early in the year to be told that your target is going to be increased. Lack of accelerators (extra commission) to motivate you to over achieve on your targets. Extremely poor sales management through out the business.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove your sales management and motivation for account managers. Stop moving the goal posts and you might get people to stay around longer.

Poor leadership in middle management

Design Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at BT full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI used to have good work-life balance.
I have worked with talented people before.
Possible to develop different carriers in the same company.

ConsPoor performance management
Bullying in workforce if you are not inner circle

Advice to Senior ManagementCut out American style performance management, value loyal employees in UK

Lead design consultant

Lead Design Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at BT full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFlexible working - potential for good work life balance, Skills development. Forefront of technology and service providing's. Exciting growth opportunities happening in the market.

ConsCareer prospects, difficult to progress internally, salaries can be much lower than average for certain role types, don't always recognise advanced skills/qualifications. potential for bad work life balance with little reward/recognition. Poor bonus/salary increments - one hand we are being told the company is doing so well, the other hand told the company isn't and payrises / bonuses will be low as a consequence.

Curate's Egg

General Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at BT full-time for more than 10 years

ProsLarge Company = lots of opportunities. TV triple play may yet save the company.

ConsLarge company = lots of bureaucracy. No credible mobile story will bite BT on the bum at some point.

Advice to Senior ManagementLions led by donkeys.

Frustrating and stressful

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at BT full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere's reasonable job security, and I worked with some decent people. You get free broadband. There is the possibility to learn a lot about telecommunications if you are in the right role. I had a good work-life balance, though I know others who didn't.

ConsBT absolutely 'misled' me regarding what the job entailed, meaning I was left doing a job in which I wasn't interested and which didn't offer the development that I had been promised. Managers seemed to treat everyone as a numbered resource first and a person second, so felt they were completely within their rights to do so. Most of these managers seemed like decent people who were just used to the company working that way. I know other ex-BT employees who went through the same experience.

I know far too many people off work with stress, or just managing to cope with it. There seem to be several reasons for this including over-work and not being listened to. One colleague was working weekends to keep up with the workload, and was also asked on more than one occasion to do work while on leave.

BT is a very bureaucratic organisation with an enormous middle-management layer. It is also a technology company run by non-technical retail managers with little feel for technology, meaning that promising projects just peter out; there was a very large cut in the research budget/ department after one of the commercial arms made a large loss.

There is quite a significant "personality culture", meaning that who you know and how much you swagger seem to have more of an impact on progression than your ability to add value for the customer.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop assuming that everything is best practice just because BT does it that way. When you say you want people to challenge, actually mean it.

Worked for BT? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BT reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for BT CEO Ian Livingston. All 271 reviews are posted anonymously by BT employees.