BT

BT Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

BT Chief Executive Ian Livingston

Ian Livingston

Pros
  • Not really good work life balance as Clients always keeps you on the toes (in 48 reviews)

• Great work life balance and ability to work from home to be more effective (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • work pressure on a higher side , might impact your work life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Senior management lack honesty and there can often be a culture of intimidation through abuse of performance management (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Good starting point

Finance Manager (Former Employee) London, England

ProsGood experience, skills training, nice colleagues and location. Bonus structure was amenable.

ConsCompany didn't value the customer at all. Worked it's employees to the ground

overall very positive

ProsGood grounding in corporate life and telecoms

ConsNot a forward thinking company

It's true what they say that if you're good at your job you'll never be promoted

Telecoms Engineer (Former Employee) Belfast, Northern Ireland

ProsSome great people to work with and a handful of very good managers. Mairaed Meyer is fantastic. The Great Place to Work Survey has highlighted how bad BT is and they are trying to do something about it.

ConsThe managers are generally speaking useless and haven't much of a clue, definitely not to be trusted. They fail to recognise their good employees and there is a lot of dead wood. The work is hand picked and many engineers can't do any difficult work. The promotions are given to the best talkers from one religion and not on merit or capability. The rumours in BT are awful and in NI there is too much discrimination.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the dead wood and only have engineering managers that have knowledge of the subject. Carry out a religious audit across the company in NI and you'd be shocked.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Work place tyranny!

Volume Engineer (Current Employee) Inverness, Scotland

ProsVery few left, sharesave options if you can afford them.

ConsRuthless senior managers bullying middle managers bullying engineers. Was a good company to work for before trackers and performance management, company is now run on statistic dashboards and performance analysts looking at trends and behaviours for discipline purposes 'work place tyranny'. Members of my team off on sick leave due to stress, number of engineers leaving increased work load on those unhappy engineers left, this is causing major issues in our team very low morale and a very unhappy place to come to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have really lost your engineering workforce, a happy workforce is a productive and good willed workforce, you have neither! Lots of good engineers leaving including myself as soon as I get an opportunity to do so.

Getting better, now a good place to work

Coach (Current Employee) Southampton, England

ProsLots of opportunities to advance, the customer is now being put first. Good work life balance

ConsSometimes you may have to travel for work, depending on where they need you. Quarterly reviews and coaching plans but it is done fairly

Advice to Senior ManagementCarry on with putting the customer first and Continuous Improvement, and start looking after the network

The not so "healthy churn"

Manager (Current Employee) Nottingham, England

ProsGood brand, good history, benefits better than average. Some great people work here, There are some good Managers among the "will do anything to get on" brigade which are unfortunately on the increase.

ConsPerformance Management (Not changed despite claims to the contrary)
    Smoke and mirrors with a pretence of a change. Openly told to "distribute" your team or be marked down, followed in the next breath by "there is no forced distribution".
    unregretted leavers replaced by "healthy churn" same thing disguised by including all forms of leavers, but focus on kicking people out and a witch hunt to ensure a certain number of so called "poor performers" are exited to meet targets.
    Pioneers programme is great, but its core principles are not observed from the top, why waste all that money if you have no intention implementing a genuine change from the top?
    And by the way, meritocracy does not mean spend one hour a week talking about who we can kick out and how the kicking out is progressing.
    Makes coming to work depressing,

Advice to Senior ManagementI hope the way people are really treated is bought into the public domain and practices exposed.
    I would love to spend more time on positive management techniques, indeed deal with underperformance where needed, but no more witch hunts.
    One of the BT values is honesty, why don't you come clean and admit openly what you are doing.

EXCELLENT

Bt Engineer (Current Employee) Glasgow, Scotland

ProsLike any job good days and bad, but mostly good.

Constarget driven company, possibly over micro-managing staff.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

A challenge but very fulfilling

Programmer Manager (Current Employee) Leeds, England

ProsFlexible working that allows you to have a good work/life balance, a varied amoutn of career options that really put the choices in your hands. Great people in the company and a strong culture of helping each other

ConsGeographically spread all over the country, don't get an opportunity to meet the team in some roles. Delay in promotions due to processes left over from the Post Office days

Toxic, frustrating, Nobody listens,

Project Manager (Current Employee) London, England

ProsYou can play the "BT game" to keep yourself appearing good without actually doing much. Play the game the way senior management want you to play it can keep you in a job for ever.

ConsIt's openly discussed that the strategy is to reduce headcount by 10% per year. This results in middle management only interested in passing responsibilities to other teams and cutting their own headcount. This maybe efficient when looking at your own team but taking a step back and looking at the bigger picture means you are passing expertise out to non experts actually causing inefficiency. Unfortunately, the middle managers that reduce their own headcount like this are the ones that are promoted. It also promotes a culture of fear, bullying and teams that are only interested in protecting themselves.

Performance management has been implemented and is totally flawed. It is being used as a tool to find excuses to manage people out of the business. However, the teams themselves have learned how to fight back against HR and senior management so now spend all their days collecting stats and metrics that ensure they are protecting themselves from being managed out.

Bullying is rife amongst senior and middle management. EIther the middle and lower management tow the line and manage people out of the business or face the chop themselves.

Promotion or career pathways are non existent unless you are prepared to sell your soul.

The company is currently cancerous, toxic and a horrible place to work. Best to avoid at all costs.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou sold your soul. Please go buy it back

Auditor Role

ProsExcellent company, good perks, OK Management

Conswork life balance needs to be reviewed

Worked for BT? Contribute to the Community!