BT Reviews

Updated 22 October 2014
2.8

Gavin Patterson
1 Rating

Pros
  • Not really good work life balance as Clients always keeps you on the toes (in 50 reviews)

• Good hours flexible schedule - good work from home policy (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • work pressure on a higher side , might impact your work life balance (in 17 reviews)

• Performance management structure mean everyone is out for themselves creating a poor team environment (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

I have been working at BT

Pros

Money isn't bad but that's about as far as it goes

Cons

See the above, discrimination, blinkered management, harrisment and bullying.

Pull your socks up, wake up and realise that people with disabilities are more than able to do the job

Terrible

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Dundee, Scotland
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Dundee, Scotland

I have been working at BT full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good bonus, sometimes you speak to really lovely people.

Cons

We were given 4 weeks of training which was useless, a lot of time was spent learning on how to use the software which was pretty basic rather than actually letting us know what we should expect. The example calls were hand picked which were the most simple ones and it made it look like that life will be great and jobs really easy. Even when we sat next to advisors to listen to calls they were from a different campaign that doesnt deal with usual calls. After training we entered in the "Grad Bay" stage where we were spoon fed sales calls and as soon as grad bay stage was over we were in the standard call queue.

Customer care was non existent, they selected options to speak to faults, billing etc were passed through to sales which we werent able to deal with. Most managers arent willing to take escalations or answer questions which arent defined in the standard "toolkit". A lot of people have been recruited who have no clue about what speed and allowance mean (GB, MB, Mbytes) and they are the "Experts" guiding the customers on broadband. You get penalized for helping customers as it takes precious call time where you could be selling. The worst of all everyone in sales get penalized for selling BT sports as a standalone product because customers didnt transfer line and broadband over to BT. HR is always looking for reasons to put people on coaching plans in view of pressurizing people so they leave the job. Marketing team is out of touch with sales, every couple of months flyers are sent out to customers offering deals which sales cant honour. If not the bonus not a single person would willingly want to work on the sales floor. No acknowledgement of hard work. You start the job thinking you will make a difference and you will not treat customers like other people do but eventually you will succumb to the stat driven environment and stop caring if its a not a sales call.

Have regular feedback from the people taking the calls not the managers, acknowledge hard work and dedication, HR needs to ease up a little bit and not go on witch hunts. Marketing team really needs a big shake up they are not in touch with whoever draws up the weekly targets. Be willing to put customer first.

So-so

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Leeds, England
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Leeds, England

I have been working at BT full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some parts of the business have an ok work life balance. Good annual leave allowance

Cons

No real opportunities for growth. Very set in its ways

Great place to be

Former Employee - Jumper Engineer in Wirral, England
    Former Employee - Jumper Engineer in Wirral, England

I worked at BT full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great to work as given work to do and then almost left alone to do it, no big brother watching all the time. Not stuck in one place get to travel over the local area meeting new and interesting members of the BT team.

Cons

As a contractor I just want to finish work and leave BT say must have a lunch break!!

Never a dull moment

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at BT full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I worked in BT for over 33 years and never had a dull day! Some were hard - very hard - but always interesting, from driving round in a yellow van knocking on doors and fixing phones, switchboards and call connect systems to being a full-time Union Rep and then working in Project Management delivering the full remit of BT's product portfolio. Always meeting new people - customers or colleagues

Cons

Never paying the rate for the job or tricking you out of bonuses. Under-resourced to meet demand so always overly busy

Just be honest in your dealings with your employees - pay them the advertised rate for the job and honour your promises

Not bad - everyone works hard

Current Employee - Senior Finance Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Finance Manager in London, England

I have been working at BT full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work life balance is better than practice. Compensation is good.

Cons

A lot of firefighting as the systems are not up to scratch.

Tough but good experience

Former Employee - Head of Product Management in London, England
    Former Employee - Head of Product Management in London, England

I worked at BT full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A lot people always around so there is always an a willing person to discuss business issues with. A depth if training is offered to all staff at all levels

Cons

Quite a few people hiding behind those who are working hard, and then claiming credit. An easy company to coast in if you have the ear of seniors. Very process driven. constantly re-viewing processes.

BT a great place to work

I have been working at BT

Pros

good pay, lots to learn and flexible timings

Cons

work pressure on a higher side , might impact your work life balance

Managing for Performance has taken over. Customer focus is diminishing.

Former Employee - Senior Sales Professional in Aberdeen, Scotland
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Professional in Aberdeen, Scotland

I worked at BT full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Large organisation which will never be ignored by customers due to its credibility in uk telecoms. On paper the opportunity is there to earn bonus. There is access to a wide portfolio of IT products. There data networks in my opinion are second to none and are rated highly by gartner.

Cons

Job roles are narrowly defined and many employee talents are not used. Support and knowledge of new product areas is scarce. service is suffering due to staff reductions and industry restructuring. Customers are becoming less important to the organisation. Bonuses are rarely paid.

Focus back on customer needs. Use the talents of your employees to their full potential.

Challenging in the consumer business unit

Former Employee - Head of Marketing in London, England
    Former Employee - Head of Marketing in London, England

I worked at BT full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Demanding, meritocratic, challenging competitive market

Cons

Lack of diversity - very British especially at Senior levels

increase diversity in employee body

BT Photos

Headquarters of BT Group, housed in BT Centre, located in London (Photo attributed to Martin Addison - licensed under the CCL Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0)
Inside the office