BT Reviews

Updated 15 October 2014
Updated 15 October 2014
2.8

Gavin Patterson

Pros
  • Not really good work life balance as Clients always keeps you on the toes (in 50 reviews)

• Good hours flexible schedule - good work from home policy (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • work pressure on a higher side , might impact your work life balance (in 17 reviews)

• Performance management structure mean everyone is out for themselves creating a poor team environment (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Terrible

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Dundee, Scotland
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Dundee, Scotland

I have been working at BT full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good bonus, sometimes you speak to really lovely people.

Cons

We were given 4 weeks of training which was useless, a lot of time was spent learning on how to use the software which was pretty basic rather than actually letting us know what we should expect. The example calls were hand picked which were the most simple ones and it made it look like that life will be great and jobs really easy. Even when we sat next to advisors to listen to calls they were from a different campaign that doesnt deal with usual calls. After training we entered in the "Grad Bay" stage where we were spoon fed sales calls and as soon as grad bay stage was over we were in the standard call queue.

Customer care was non existent, they selected options to speak to faults, billing etc were passed through to sales which we werent able to deal with. Most managers arent willing to take escalations or answer questions which arent defined in the standard "toolkit". A lot of people have been recruited who have no clue about what speed and allowance mean (GB, MB, Mbytes) and they are the "Experts" guiding the customers on broadband. You get penalized for helping customers as it takes precious call time where you could be selling. The worst of all everyone in sales get penalized for selling BT sports as a standalone product because customers didnt transfer line and broadband over to BT. HR is always looking for reasons to put people on coaching plans in view of pressurizing people so they leave the job. Marketing team is out of touch with sales, every couple of months flyers are sent out to customers offering deals which sales cant honour. If not the bonus not a single person would willingly want to work on the sales floor. No acknowledgement of hard work. You start the job thinking you will make a difference and you will not treat customers like other people do but eventually you will succumb to the stat driven environment and stop caring if its a not a sales call.

Have regular feedback from the people taking the calls not the managers, acknowledge hard work and dedication, HR needs to ease up a little bit and not go on witch hunts. Marketing team really needs a big shake up they are not in touch with whoever draws up the weekly targets. Be willing to put customer first.

So-so

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Leeds, England
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Leeds, England

I have been working at BT full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some parts of the business have an ok work life balance. Good annual leave allowance

Cons

No real opportunities for growth. Very set in its ways

Great place to be

Former Employee - Jumper Engineer in Wirral, England
    Former Employee - Jumper Engineer in Wirral, England

I worked at BT full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great to work as given work to do and then almost left alone to do it, no big brother watching all the time. Not stuck in one place get to travel over the local area meeting new and interesting members of the BT team.

Cons

As a contractor I just want to finish work and leave BT say must have a lunch break!!

Never a dull moment

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at BT full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I worked in BT for over 33 years and never had a dull day! Some were hard - very hard - but always interesting, from driving round in a yellow van knocking on doors and fixing phones, switchboards and call connect systems to being a full-time Union Rep and then working in Project Management delivering the full remit of BT's product portfolio. Always meeting new people - customers or colleagues

Cons

Never paying the rate for the job or tricking you out of bonuses. Under-resourced to meet demand so always overly busy

Just be honest in your dealings with your employees - pay them the advertised rate for the job and honour your promises

Not bad - everyone works hard

Current Employee - Senior Finance Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Finance Manager in London, England

I have been working at BT full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work life balance is better than practice. Compensation is good.

Cons

A lot of firefighting as the systems are not up to scratch.

Tough but good experience

Former Employee - Head of Product Management in London, England
    Former Employee - Head of Product Management in London, England

I worked at BT full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A lot people always around so there is always an a willing person to discuss business issues with. A depth if training is offered to all staff at all levels

Cons

Quite a few people hiding behind those who are working hard, and then claiming credit. An easy company to coast in if you have the ear of seniors. Very process driven. constantly re-viewing processes.

BT a great place to work

I have been working at BT

Pros

good pay, lots to learn and flexible timings

Cons

work pressure on a higher side , might impact your work life balance

You only get recognition for good work if you're one of the manager's "favourites" current service operation's employee

Current Employee - Service Operation's in Leeds, England
    Current Employee - Service Operation's in Leeds, England

I have been working at BT full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Although I honestly can't think of many at all, I suppose it's just a currently stable company to work in really.

Cons

Unless you happen to be one of management's favourite little darlings your contributions will not count. Any good work done either gets discredited or just gets ignored. Further to that you will soon find yourself in the DN category. Receive any corrective feedback at any point during the quarter even right at the end, don't be surprised if you actually get marked as U - unsatisfactory.

Working at BT has shown me that it's a bullying culture wriggled against me and designed to manage people out using the contradictory performance management system and HR. Unless you are a favorite with a pretty face. Also don't expect a decent pay increase. 2.5% really feels like being spat on or like a tramp being given 2 pence by a rich egotistical biggot despite hard work done. BT really does everything on the cheapest of the cheap, which really isn't surprising for a company with a 30 Billion pound debt (probably due to all the fines by Ofcom).

Employees are seldomly encouraged and inspired to help them want to do better. They just get ignored, discredited and demoralised - unless a little favorite pet of management's.

So far I have not come across one person who has said they like their services provided by BT. Friends, family and random people have all said they can't wait to move to a different provider. Slow Internet speeds, repulsively bad customer service, over charged and the list goes on.

If you just ensured your employees were happy and made to feel valued and appreciated, so will our customers and shareholders also. Remember it's not just about what you do but how you do it also.

Management factory

Former Employee - Business Improvement Consultant in London, England
    Former Employee - Business Improvement Consultant in London, England

I worked at BT full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Home working
    The right values and policies for a healthy working environment (though these are regularly ignored in practice)

Cons

Senior management lack honesty and there can often be a culture of intimidation through abuse of performance management. Your job satisfaction in BT is really down to which manager you have and this changes every 6 months on average.

The company often loses sight of the customer and this can be very frustrating. Ultimately, the apparent purpose of BT is to create more managers and to protect those already in place. I was a senior manager and saw this from the inside.

Design your processes and all aspects of delivery around customers. It's so much more motivating to work in a company that places customers first, trusts staff to get on with delivering what common sense tells them is right and has the maturity to move away from a command and control management culture.

Challenging in the consumer business unit

Former Employee - Head of Marketing in London, England
    Former Employee - Head of Marketing in London, England

I worked at BT full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Demanding, meritocratic, challenging competitive market

Cons

Lack of diversity - very British especially at Senior levels

increase diversity in employee body

BT Photos

Headquarters of BT Group, housed in BT Centre, located in London (Photo attributed to Martin Addison - licensed under the CCL Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0)
Inside the office