BT Reviews

Updated 23 April 2015
429 reviews filtered by

1. Great Place to work

I have been working at BT

Pros

Good work life balance
    Strong team ethics

Cons

Gets too busy at times due to staff shortage

Advice to Management

Non

In BT no one can hear you scream

Former Employee - Retention Advisor in Warrington, North West England, England
    Former Employee - Retention Advisor in Warrington, North West England, England

I worked at BT

Pros

Above minimum wage is paid

Cons

No chance of a BT contract, ~90% of staff are on a contract with Manpower so no possible pay rises, managers are in the same position and are paid the same as employees starting at day 1, no shift routine and are expected to work at any time from 8am-8pm 7 days a week.

Advice to Management

Do not treat employees as cattle, senior executives should spend a day on the bottom rung.

Awful culture with terrible management.

Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I worked at BT full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Temp job undertaken for 8 months. Working environment relatively pleasant. Holidays are good. Lots of banal charitable activities and community engagement to disguise the awful working environment.

Cons

Horrific training. Management and organization an absolute shambles. Ill prepared and reactionary approach to management hence constantly putting out fires. Widespread nepotism and cronyism means they tend to retain the worst staff. Lots of clock watchers etc and overall an awful, unmotivated and unrewarded work environment.

Advice to Management

Resign and stop promoting ineffectual friends and relatives to positions of responsibility.

OMG BT

Current Employee - Telecoms Engineer in London, England
    Current Employee - Telecoms Engineer in London, England

I have been working at BT full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

No leadership lost cause, within the chaos i can skip and dance, fill the spreadsheet's like a KPI warrior while the customers get no service

Cons

absolutely no work life balance, managers scared witless that they will not get a bonus and chase you whilst waving their spreadsheet's wailing KPI's at the top of the voices

Advice to Management

Please Manage your people , please stop being scared ..scared managers make excellent bully's

Bt Grad Scheme

Former Employee - Graduate
    Former Employee - Graduate

I worked at BT

Pros

Largest Telco in the UK

Cons

Full of judgemental people who have been working there all their life

Advice to Management

Protect grads from the culture and help them florish

7. On the whole, not a bad job

I have been working at BT

Pros

Great people, friendly, good team-work ethos.

Cons

Lack of job satisfaction if you can't do what the customer wants. Many customers choose to complain to management if they don't like what they're told at adviser level.

Advice to Management

Listen to your call centre staff, they speak to your customers and deserve the best systems, processes and support. Being an online adviser is a tough job, but support and recognition from management would go a long way. Also think about how much job satisfaction one gets from their role.

8. Is okay too corperoate rthough

Current Intern - Summer Student in London, England
    Current Intern - Summer Student in London, England

I have been working at BT as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

good job with fun co-owkrers doing stuff i like. good job with fun co-owkrers doing stuff i like. good job with fun co-owkrers doing stuff i like.

Cons

bad red tape which u have to do boring.... SOOOO boring boring boring boring boring boring boring boring

Advice to Management

less corperate bullcrap please

Head of Portfolio Management

I worked at BT full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Large and varied scope of work

Cons

Decisions are made by agreements among senior managers, who are distant for the customer and only focused the the 'numbers'

Advice to Management

Let employees make decisions - they really know the customers and the market environment

10. hat to put a title

I have been working at BT

Pros

large company, unexpectedly dynamic, cool team

Cons

large company, some ballast, bureaucracy and processes

Excellent employer - and working hard on continuous improvement

Current Employee - Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England

I have been working at BT full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great company that genuinely works hard to try to deliver what customers want, and delivers a product - telecoms and internet - that is in real demand.

- Sensible work-life balance: there's enough to keep you busy, but you're not expected to be a martyr to work.

- The company really tries to live its values.

Cons

- Flexible working isn't for everyone: many of us would prefer, rather than a 'virtual team', scattered across the UK, a real team, with an office and people you see and speak to every day, and with whom you can go for a drink after work. That said, such roles exist too, and therefore it is simply a question of applying, and being selected, for them.

- Inevitably, there must be cost savings. This is a consequence of being in a competitive industry in which other companies are vying for market share. This means that we need to evolve to tackle challenges. Sometimes the process of evolving makes people nervous, which causes tension - particularly in longer-serving, older workers who have seen it all before (or think they have...). I doubt this change aspect is any more so than any other major company though - and BT are arguably far better, as they don't make people redundant, they simply move them to a 'redeployment pool' from where they can apply for new jobs (which is a hangover of civil service/public sector days, but one which - regardless of its economic merits - makes for a far more humane employer).

Advice to Management

I've been working for the company for 11 months, and I'm really impressed. The one thing I would definitely change is hiring policies: at present, hiring managers are artificially constrained to selecting new candidates from the redeployment pool within their own line of business (LoBs), then expanding the search to other LoBs, then advertising internally, then advertising externally. At each stage, managers can only progress to the next stage by rejecting all candidates. This prevents them from seeing (or advertising to) all possible candidates, and selecting the best. While commendable that the redeployment pool is prioritised, it does severely impact managers' autonomy, and the ability to select the best people for the job. Open competition is usually the best option, and I think that it would be here, too.

BT Photos

Headquarters of BT Group, housed in BT Centre, located in London (Photo attributed to Martin Addison - licensed under the CCL Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0)
Inside the office