BT

BT Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

BT Chief Executive Ian Livingston

Ian Livingston

Pros
  • Not really good work life balance as Clients always keeps you on the toes (in 48 reviews)

• Great work life balance and ability to work from home to be more effective (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • work pressure on a higher side , might impact your work life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Senior management lack honesty and there can often be a culture of intimidation through abuse of performance management (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Fair

Head of Strategy (Current Employee) London, England

ProsHonest genuine management focused on growing the company and creating a healthy organisation. Very good long term investments in place

ConsVery hard to get promoted and an obsession on 'deliverables'. You end up working very long hours to get a fair chance at a promotion

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training and motivation

Fibre Optic cable gang

Cable Layer (Current Employee) London, England

ProsDecent money, solid structured company with job security, sticks to H&S when others bend the rules

ConsTo get in as a cable layer I had to do a Psychometric Test this has 100% no relevance what so ever regarding mine or any of the gang I worked for? they are making so many people who are ground workers loose the opportunity of working for BT due to having a "Generalised" test for people who want to work for them? pipe layers cable layers digger drivers dumper drivers shouldn't be taking tests like this as it offers no true picture of someone who is qualified on lets say a digger whos spent thousands of pounds on his/her tickets for some test asking them to pick a shape to put in a hole that fits or a question about organisation? total lack of knowledge from the people at the top.

Stress and lies

Retention Adviser (Current Employee) Leeds, England

ProsHuge bonus if you're good at selling - £200-£700 pm

ConsHassle Stress No Teamwork Poor Management Bad Working Hours

Advice to Senior Management- I've been working for this company for around 8 months now as a Retention/Customer service adviser.

At first the job is great - you train for around 4-6 weeks in a classroom with the rest of the newbies, making friends, meeting your manager, drawing pictures and playing games. It's that simple. You get paid £250 roughly a week to sit in a class room eating sweets "training".
    Nothing you learn in training is actually relevant to the job role though.

When you first go onto the sales floor around 4-8 weeks after joining the company, you're on a 'baby dialer'.. This basically means you get all the good calls, sales calls!
    For the first 4 weeks your keep scores are set at 100% so if you smash the sales your bonus will be massive!! A few people in my grad bay got over £1000 bonus for the first month.

When you're out of the training bay with the nice calls, you then get awful calls filtering through to you too. These include complains - which you're not trained how to deal with, cancellations - which are often impossible to avoid and these will massively impact your keep score and finally technical and billing issues - which you can't deal with so you have to transfer - this impacts your transfers which you're also targeted on.

For the first few weeks the job is great if you like talking to happy customers, selling things and earning bonus!
    It all goes down hill from there.
    In the first month I was there I had swapped managers and teams around 3 times, this is quite daunting still being a newbie! Especially when you still haven't quite grasped how to deal with angry complaining customers.
    Our original team of 13 people slowly dwindled to a remaining 4 people in the space of 6 weeks.
    That's how bad it is.
    Even the money cannot persuade you to stay.

As soon as you walk through the gates at bt it's like you're locked in a prison. Managers are constantly on your back while you're on calls making you sell, not only is this distracting giving a bad customer experience, it's annoying as it was NEVER mentioned in the job description.
    Unless you're hitting targets dead on and taking breaks at set times with no toilet breaks, you're sure to get many disciplinarys and coaching sessions. Highly embarrassing being a 36 year old woman and around 10 years older than my own very inexperienced manager!
    The whole thing is a joke

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good but all depends on how lucky you sre with the team you end up in & too political

Graduate Software Engineer (Current Employee) Ipswich, England

ProsGood people
    Good opportunity to train thanks to online courses.

Cons# political,
    # moving the goal post
    # find any excuse not to give you what you deserve
    # Poor moral
    # Performance management structure mean everyone is out for themselves creating a poor team environment
    # Way too many arrogant people with big egos lucky humility.
    # Same corporate spill dressed up in a new name every year.
    # Massive disconnect between managers and low level workers
    # Luck of the drew depending on team. Same level of work yields totally different rating in different teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementList to people and change the way performance management works, every three months is overkill and hinders moral.

career progression

Strategy Specialist (Current Employee) London, England

Proswork - life balance; nice people

Conslow salary and strict policy on reward and promotions

Advice to Senior Managementinvest more into growing people internally and retain talents

Great Manager

Account Manager (Former Employee) Newcastle upon Tyne, England

ProsGreat Company longevity foot in the door

ConsConstant change causes the merry go round effect

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your staff informed

Overall great company to work for, though it does have its ups and downs

Head of Business Development (Former Employee) London, England

ProsBroad range of opportunities, variety, range of business activities, range of customers of all shapes and sizes, staff development, many of the people, flexible working policies. When the business does focus on a specific objective, it is good at motivating its people to achieve that and miracles can happen.

ConsInternal politics is a strong negative. The legacy of public service culture, whilst there are many opportunities, it is not as easy as you might think to access them and move across the company. Often seems very bureaucratic and slow, it is a very large company. Frequent reorganisations.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the customer and supporting your people to deliver and not on internal politics and building fiefdoms.

Corporate organisation

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsInteresting products and services to work on.

ConsMiscommunication with to many layers from top to bottom.

Advice to Senior ManagementLike the japanese structure with MD and Team Leaders and Team Members.

A company run by bullies

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England

ProsTremendous attitude and desire shown to deliver the 2012 Olympics.
    Huge excitement (and nervousness) for BT Sport.

ConsThe attitude of the executive teams .. tough and demanding high performance is perfectly fine, but unfortunately some go to far and are simply bullies, with no morals.
    The regulatory environment makes the BT group inefficient and a frustrating place to work
    Dreadful culture .. very few smiling faces

Safe company to work with committee based approach

Chief Designer (Current Employee) Ipswich, England

ProsGood projects if you are lucky
    Work life balance
    Fair salary
    Job security

ConsStressful if working for the technology arm
    Not dynamic
    Low job satisfaction. Very little opportunity to make a difference even at senior levels

Advice to Senior ManagementRework organisation structures to reduce layers and duplication

Worked for BT? Contribute to the Community!