BT

www.btplc.com
Profile Unclaimed

Good company to start your career with. Excellent training.

Former Employee - IT Analyst Programmer in London, England
    Former Employee - IT Analyst Programmer in London, England

I worked at BT full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Training. Good starting salary. Friendly work environment. Good work life balance. I don't know what it would be like for Managers. Excellent canteen. I would recommend this company for a new graduate as it has a good reputation in the telecoms industry both nationally and globally.

Cons

Limited prospects for a successful career. Few opportunities for promotion.

Fast track the high performers into good management positions.

Technical Career dead-end

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Ipswich, England
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Ipswich, England

I worked at BT full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexibility in work arrangements. ( -although co-locations is now being enforced)
    No Big brother culture. ( -although that's changing with Continuous Improvement/LEAN introduction)
    Job security.

Cons

Huge outsourcing of techincal work to offshore contractors during mid-2000 has completely decimated the in-house knowledge and expertise. A lot of very good/world class engineers have left BT - glass ceiling exists for technical staff.

Line management completely dominated by HR, accountants, and spin merchants. The messengers get rewarded I would say disproprionately more at the expense of the actual doers than for other large organisations.

The actual time spent recordings what you do is full of glaring gaps. There are constant management initiatives and a lot of JFDIs from the poorer managers that do add to your workstack but are hidden/buried into existing project codes.

There is a lot of who you know rather than what you know going on.

Good points and bad points: Solutions Designer

Current Employee - Solutions Designer in London, England
    Current Employee - Solutions Designer in London, England

I have been working at BT full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The major pro is job security as BT have never made people forcefully redundant. They pay is OK and I have done some interesting work in my time. Employes get free perks such as free broadband, BT vision, cheap calls from their company mobiles and I am one of the lucky ones that is registered as a flexible worker.

I know individuals that are still working in BT for the past 44 years.

ALP: Accredited Learning Pathways: These let individuals pick a professional training pathway and do include professional courses. They cover anything from visualization to project management.

Share save scheme: This is great as it allows individuals to save money before take and buy shares at the price they were 3 to 5 years ago. Some many BT employees invested in this when it was 60p and now the shares are worth around £3.60, so the people that invested £250 for fives can basically pay off there mortgage now. Even if the shares didn't go up in value they still could have take the money back, with interest, and wouldn't had to pay any tax on it..

I have always been paid on-time and engineers are paid well

Cons

* Home and Flexible working: - Over the past two years BT has changed people from home workers to office based workers as they say it improves communication from the staff. I do work from home some days, but I'm still based from an office.
    * T&S: - BT's policy on travel is now pretty much non-existent. Cheapest hotel, cheapest way of getting there, small allowance that doesn't even cover the cost of the night time meal. When I travel I'm basically paying for part of it, however I do have a few beers when I do.
    * Free broadband but no free line rental: You just feel that although you get free broadband there making money out of you as you have to buy the telephone line from them.
    * Work conditions: Where I work there are 6 desks, but there can be up to 12 people wanting one. H&S goes out the window with boxes and equipment left on the floor in this un-airconditioned office that sometimes reaches 31 degrees.
    * BT Vans: You either get one without air conditioning or a restricted vehicle. BT still buys vehicles today without air conditioning, which means those hard working engineers have to boil.
    * Career Progression: - This can be good if you know Juniper or Cisco as BT is a telecommunication company, but even though my skills are sort after outside, progression for me has been very difficult.
    * APR's and 1-2-1: The very worst thing about working for BT is the APR, DPR, & 1-2-1 process. You basically have to write war a piece to get an Achieving Standards grade to get your bonus. It is the most long winded, pointless thing I. Even if I have saved or made BT loads of money or done something special for your customer you are very hard pushed to be recognised and most times you get a graded depending on internal politics or internal budgets.

Change the following:
    Allow people to become home based workers again
    Simplify or remove the APR/DPR process. It's a waste of time!!!!
    Don't keep pushing to reduce T&S to a point that now body will travel.
    Put air con in the vans for the hard working engineers
    Give your workers free line rental or at least discounted line rental.

Keep up the good work with the following:
    ALP's
    Sharesave

Clunky processes and systems, ok work life balance and pay

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at BT full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Generous annual leave and other benefits
    - Some flexible working though this will significantly decrease in the near future.
    - Pay is ok

Cons

- Dreadful blame attitude
    - Over-excitement at the launch of new initiatives, but lack of execution
    - Clunky and outdated internal systems and processes
    - Lack of development and career progression
    - Too many cling-ons who have been with the company for 25+ years and are useless but somehow impossible to get rid of
    - UK centric attitude despite harping on about being global
    - Dire performance management
    - Some low-level bullying and weak management

Great benefits - pension, stocks, leave, free broadband.

Current Employee - Solution Architect in Oxford, England
    Current Employee - Solution Architect in Oxford, England

I have been working at BT full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great compassionate leave policy, generous annual leave (32.5 days + BH) matches pension up to 9% Share save sheme. Great training opportunities - industry recognised qualifications.

Cons

Performance management is a DIRE process. Have to write war and peace to justify bonus, recognition and reward in my area is low. Managers not interested or not using mechanisms for rewarding good work.

Please, please, rethink performance management and meritocracy; the pieces are there but line managers need to use them properly.

Positive company, but can be too large at times.

Former Employee - First Line Manager in Birmingham, England
    Former Employee - First Line Manager in Birmingham, England

I worked at BT full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunity, diversity, good pay and people. Culturally diverse, and recognised brand which puts you in good stead for future external opportunities. Roles can be diverse and challenging, and your ceiling is only imposed by your personal aspirations.

Cons

Some long-standing staff resistant to change and new ideas. Secondment culture means you can take on additional tasks without any guaranteed rewards. Also, if you work for an area of the business that isn't doing so great, it can taint your future through association with potential failure.

Look to

A Company That Delights In Repeating The Same Mistakes

Former Employee - Call Centre Advisor in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Call Centre Advisor in Manchester, England

I worked at BT full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You can get temporary promotions, but if your face doesn't fit you will not be given the job ultimately, however still a pro as pretty much anyone is allowed to give it a go.
    Generous holidays if you can get them booked.
    If you decide to leave they make it very easy.

Cons

Where to start; Imagine being screamed at and threatened by customers all day ( high level complaints team and faults) and then micro-managed to the point where you are told that you have used an incorrect word while dealing with said screamer. This needs to be addressed via a performance plan, no pressure there then.
     The stress levels of employees are through the roof. At any given time, at least 2 colleagues were having a melt down and several more were off with stress related illness.
    New products are NOT trained out properly, if at all. Not allowed to inadvertantly reveal a new promotion to customers we are not told about them until after they have been rolled out, usually by a customer. We then would get rushed training where questions were not encouraged or answered.
    So, you have demotivated staff, who are penalised by customers, then managers (sometimes twice for the same call) and have little knowledge of the promotions available.
    The computer system used is unweildy and slow ( and of course, while waiting for a page to turn, you have to make small talk with your angry customer because you cant be honest about the system)
    Low level bullying is not addressed.
    High turnover of upper management. (15 years and i got a bit jaded at the sight of yet another over-excited manager telling me that their vision was the one, 12 months (max) later they and their vision had gone)

Train your staff properly.
    Involve them in new promotions early and train them before launch.
    Revise the bills, they are complicated and its fairly obvious that its deliberate to hide the details of promotions and add-ons.
    Your criteria for management is flawed, good managers don't get the jobs, rubbish ones do because they have done their utmost to fit in with the in-crowd .
    You are at the forefront of communication and yet you fail to answer calls quickly and outsource abroad, your staff computer system is slow and unweildy, you dont communicate effectively from middle management to ground floor staff.
    Booking days off is nigh on impossible, make it a bit simpler and you might reduce "sick" days.

Great place but little progression

Former Employee - Project Manager in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Manchester, England

I worked at BT full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It was a great place to be. The people are awesome and generally the opportunities to move are good. It's a very secure place to work

Cons

Pay is nowhere near the market value. There's is no way to progress up in the company without significantly moving jobs, as most people don't leave ever they stay in the old way of in the job for 40 years. I felt I had to leave to get up in my career

Have a good mix of Recruiting lower level managers externally and internally as the mix when right can be phenomenal

Good employer but very limited opportunities for personal development and career progression.

I worked at BT full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

My experience was that there was a flexible working environment with a very good work life balance. The compensation and benefits package was near industry average.

Cons

I found that senior management, in most cases, paid lip service to personal development and there were very limited opportunities for personal growth and progression

Really need to review individual opportunities for growth and development to retain top performers.

Brilliant company to work for

I worked at BT

Pros

Innovative and transforming itself and telecoms/media landscape

Cons

None specifically at this point

Keep going!

BT Photos

Headquarters of BT Group, housed in BT Centre, located in London (Photo attributed to Martin Addison - licensed under the CCL Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0)
Inside the office