Bain & Company

Bain & Company Reviews

Updated Apr 05, 2014

Bain & Company Worldwide Managing Director Bob Bechek

Bob Bechek

Pros:
  • "Office-centric project staffing: stronger local relationship building, better work life balance"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Great people who really care about both their colleagues and solving client problems"
    in 39 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance can be very hard to maintain in this career"
    in 72 reviews
  • "Long hours/always on call for very trivial tasks -- very inefficient work environment"
    in 80 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great experience that I would recommend to anyone coming out of school

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Bain & Company

ProsExcellent learning experience. Great people. Great business experience that has and I believe will continue to pay dividends in my professional life.

ConsExhausting schedule if traveling. Not always the flexibility to work on the types of cases you wanted to work on. Potential to have an unbalanced case load. There a few people that I have in mind that were consistently staffed on bad cases (long hours, unattractive travel, difficult CTL, etc.) and others that were consistently staffed on good ones.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromise of work/life balance sometimes goes out the door, if the client is deemed important enough. My time at Bain was interesting because the economy was bad (2008 - 2011). It felt as though management was going the extra mile to prove its value to clients at a time when clients were cutting discretionary costs. A lot of people in my class felt burnt, because they chose Bain and sacrificed some earnings relative to IB, in part due to work life balance, but still felt like they were working banker hours (obviously, we had more job security, but that point can get lost in times of frustration). Again, I was at Bain during an interesting time, so not sure how consistent my experience is with those of ACs/SACs today, but my advice is that if you are going to make work/life balance a selling point, follow through lest you'll have some disgruntled ACs. While most in my class stuck around for SAC year, it felt like an unusually high number of people chose not to accept B school sponsorship or left only after a year or 2 of a direct promote. I also recall a lot of people in the class below mine leaving before SAC year.

Consultant

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time

ProsVery case heavy - no different case structures

ConsMust be very structured in thinking

Intense fun

Senior Associate Consultant (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPeople: Incredibly intelligent, inspiring, fun, teamwork-oriented people
Work: Lot of exposure to upper management
Culture: Down-to-earth; never take themselves too seriously; "A Bainie never lets another Bainie fail" culture

ConsNot as international as McKinsey (most cases staffed within the country)
Although better compared to some other firms in this industry, still long hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work on this incredible culture.
Provide more international opportunities

Best place for top business talent with inspiring people to work with

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBain has been a fantastic place to build a career. The two years I'd planned to stay at Bain have since turned into 12 years. The reasons I've stayed: Great learning and career trajectory. I started on the client facing side, but have now moved into a non-client facing position. On both sides I've been continually challenged to learn and grow. The people here are 2nd to none, inspiring role models and friends. They are bright, talented, and engaged in making Bain a great place to work, with great trust and mutual respect. I've also found flexibility in my career where I've needed it (e.g., working part time when my youngest child was little...)

ConsWe pride ourselves in maintaining a lean operating model and cost structure, which means that teams can feel very stretched or resource-constrained.

Advice to Senior ManagementWould love more communication from our WWMD

Associate Consultant

Associate Consultant (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Bain & Company full-time for more than a year

Pros- Great mentorship and focus on professional development. Everyone you work genuinely wants you to do well.
- They invest a lot in you for training.
- Great people and culture. Particularly in the Toronto office, it feels very close-knit.

Cons- Long hours and lack of sustainable work/life balance.
- Lack of clarity in staffing and opportunities to work in specific industries that you are interested in

Amazing company, challenging work

Associate Consultant (Current Employee)
Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for less than a year

Pros-Wonderful, smart, and driven co-workers
-Lots of client exposure at the junior and senior levels
-Extraordinary professional growth

Cons-Long hours - it varies by case, but it can get up to 95 hours if getting close to a big meeting
-Frequent travel - most cases in the DC office involve travel, but that should be changing as the office grows

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep driving the positive culture of the firm, it's what keeps all of us here.

Amazing workplace with stellar exit options

Case Team Leader (Former Employee)
Mumbai (India)

I worked at Bain & Company full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBain is the best place to work as a young professional interested in learning about business in a holistic way -- from the nuts and bolts of getting organisations moving towards a goal and implementing a program to defining the overall strategic direction for any/every type of corporation.

The culture at Bain is also truly exceptional -- rewarding, meritocratic and collegiate all at the same time.

ConsLong work hours. In some cases/projects, can be very long, extending upwards of 100 hours a week.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Bain is a great place to work

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIn consulting, "the product is the people." Bain invests an enormous amount into developing its people. The formal training programs are great, but it's more than that. There is a culture of frequent "real time" feedback which is reinforced by formal reviews twice a year. The learning curve is steep and expectations are high, so you gain skills fast. You also get to work with great people who are not only smart/capable but humble, friendly, and caring.

ConsManagement consulting is a demanding career. Bain does try hard to maintain sustainable work life balance, but you can't be client-facing at Bain and have a 9-to-5 job.

Awesome people, great learning environment and impact.

Associate Consultant (Current Employee)
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for less than a year

ProsThe people you work with
The topics you work on

ConsHard job with high work load

Great learning experience

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Bain & Company as an intern for less than a year

ProsCompany marked by openness and transparency, good pay, interesting projects in varying sectors. Colleagues are nice and inclusive. Fun extra-work activities. Good learning experience.

ConsSometimes long hours and menial tasks, although that is to be expected at low seniority levels. As in consulting in general, one becomes a generalist without the hard skills one might acquire in other lines of work and more deep-seated understanding of specific industries.

Advice to Senior ManagementOutsource some menial tasks

Worked for Bain & Company? Contribute to the Community!

Bain & Company Videos

Bain & Company – Why Work for Us?

At Bain, we help the world's top leaders solve their toughest challenges. Our work fuels the growth of many industries and positively impacts countless lives. So we select only the most exceptional colleagues with an… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bain & Company reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Bain & Company CEO Bob Bechek. All 487 reviews are posted anonymously by Bain & Company employees.