Bain & Company

Bain & Company Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Bain & Company Worldwide Managing Director Bob Bechek

Bob Bechek

Pros
  • The company also places a lot of emphasis on professional development as well as work/life balance (in 27 reviews)

• Benefits are almost unmatched and lots of culture of really great people (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • It's on us to remain ourselves that work-life balance is a priority (in 85 reviews)

• Although better compared to some other firms in this industry, still long hours (in 94 reviews)

More Highlights

The best place to start your career

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsThe company has a truly incredible culture; the emphasis on personal and professional development as well as the smart, passionate, and fun employees make this a very unique place to work.

ConsThe hours can get long and the travelling can be exhuasting at times; you may be on the road more than you are home.

Fantastic company!

Senior Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsVery strong culture. The perks are awesome; the people are fantastic. Everyone works really hard (smart, driven people). We are a small company in size, but a large company in our global footprint. There's always something fun going on.

ConsTeams are run very lean and can feel under-resourced. The hours can be long

Amazing people and excellent learning opportunity

Senior Associate Consultant (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsSteep learning curve keeps you on your toes
    Working with some of the best and brightest people
    Good salary and perks like expensing dinner and a cab home
    Friendly cooperative culture
    First class training
    Exposure to different industries
    Rarely if ever asked to work the weekend

ConsHouse can be quite long (60 average, peaks of 70-75)
    Some cases/projects last 6-12 months and can get boring
    Limited visibility into when work is required on a weekly basis
    Limited visibility into staffing pipeline

Advice to Senior ManagementWeed out poor mangers more quickly
    More honesty in staffing situation, no need to offer a choice if there is no choice
    Think long term and protect your people - push back against aggressive client demands

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great culture and people, but hard to advance in back office role.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits are almost unmatched and lots of culture of really great people!

ConsWork life balance can be challenging for dedicated employees, consider compensation adjustment

Growth-oriented but stressful

Consultant (Current Employee) Tokyo (Japan)

ProsExcellent learning and career growth
    Down to earth culture
    Colleagues very helpful

ConsStressful at times
    Face time
    Hierarchy
    Less fun culture

Great place to work during timw

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou get to learn a lot

Constravel can be hard on families

Amazing people, fantastic learning opportunities, and incredible place to launch a career

Associate Consultant (Current Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsThe amazing culture at Bain is truly unique. This culture is driven by the outstanding people who work at Bain. The people are very bright yet humble and approachable. They have a passion for driving results while also having fun. The work is challenging and stretches you everyday; however, Bain provides the support you need to be empowered to be successful.

ConsThe long-hours and travel can prevent Bain from being sustainable long-term; however, this just really depends on individual considering how much Bain works to try and mitigate the lifestyle challenges.

Amazing PD, but inane work at the associate level

Associate Consultant (Current Employee) Boston, MA (US)

ProsExtremely well run company where people really care about helping you develop professionally and even personally. The staffing managers are very thoughtful. It's just a great way to learn the best practices for analysis, slide-building, presentation, client engagement, business logic, and working in a team. That being said, it wasn't for me.

ConsI enjoyed case interviews because that dealt with the high-level strategic thinking of consulting -- the answer of the case. Unfortunately, that's not the work you do as an associate consultant; your role is to execute perfectly. It was hard for me to work long hours or be on call, spending ~30% of my time doing quality control (I'm not a very detail-oriented person). They expect you to feel ownership and responsibility over your work stream, but you don't actually have much ownership (I'd say on my teams they encouraged me to speak up and take a 'first pass' at higher level work, but there were always lots of iterations based on small suggestions at each level).

Advice to Senior ManagementI was someone sold on social impact -- I heard about a Bain case team helping to found a charter school and was hooked -- and I became really demotivated when I started at Bain and realized that I'm not someone who can force myself to work really hard on projects I'm not passionate about. It's great that Bain encourages so much social impact, but I'd be really upfront with recruits that they should think through whether or not they will feel motivated and happy if they're working in industries they don't care about and doing only the execution work for the first 1-2 years.

An incredible opportunity to learn and grow while being surrounded by some of the smartest people I've met.

Associate Consultant (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsBain truly values the concept of work/life balance. The company works to adapt the job to fit your personal needs and there is a mutual respect for this across the business. The training provided to new associate consultants is invaluable and unique in that you meet hundreds of people from across the world. The people are the core element of Bain people. They are inspiring and motivated individuals that constantly push me to be better.

ConsThe biggest challenge of the job is the demanding hours.

Great place to learn quickly and interact with some brilliant and fun people

Associate Consultant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

Pros1) Working with incredibly smart people
    2) Learn fast - 9 months out of undergrad, and I feel like I've built a great set of transferable skills
    3) Very fun culture. Lot's of people with similar interests

ConsWork-life balance can be rough at times, but I believe that it's better than our competitors.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up

Worked for Bain & Company? Contribute to the Community!