Bain & Company

Updated 19 November 2014
4.7

Bain & Company Worldwide Managing Director Bob Bechek
Bob Bechek

Pros
  • My function focuses a lot on work life balance and provides lot of flexibility (in 30 reviews)

• Benefits are almost unmatched and lots of culture of really great people (in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is always going to be a challenge given that the industry is client serving (in 102 reviews)

• Although better compared to some other firms in this industry, still long hours (in 106 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place, great opportunities, hard work

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Bain has been a tremendous employer. The work is challenging, the people amazing. I've learned more than I could have imagined, and head off to graduate school feeling well prepared and excited for what comes next. I'm grateful I chose Bain as my first job out of college.

Cons

The work in intense, the hours long. They tell you that in recruiting, but until it becomes real it's hard to understand how it feels. At times you're staffed to casework that feels fascinating and important, at other times it feels less interesting. there is, though, a real focus on making sure that whatever you're doing has impact.

Incredible culture, people, development

Former Employee - Senior Associate Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Associate Consultant

I worked at Bain & Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

What really sets Bain apart from other hard-working, smart professional services firms is that Bain has prioritized a culture of genuine caring about people - employees, clients, community. I was often impressed and inspired by leadership's dedication to doing what was right for the client, and simultaneously trying to protect sustainable work-life balance and continuously cultivate a fun, connected office/firm culture. I loved and benefitted immensely from the focus on professional development, mentorship, regular and real-time 360 degree feedback, and learning (with learning lunches covering a wide array of topics beyond what's most relevant to case work).

Cons

Work-life balance is still variable, depending on the client, case scoping, and team leadership. While there are a lot of benefits to the highly structured skills progression expectations across levels, Associate Consultants can sometimes feel limited to owning data analysis even when they could start demonstrating some of the higher-level thinking and "soft skills" that are more expected of Consultants and Managers.

Build into the revamp of the AC program earlier training on the important "soft skills" of general management, and start using tools that will cut down on the Excel data crunching that ACs spend a lot of time on.

Terrific training, terrific people, terrific camaraderie

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Bain & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Great opportunities for young people to work with industry veterans and executives
    -Strong training program in both quantitative skills and "fuzzy skills"
    -Amazing people - really smart, really fun
    -Lots of socializing
    -Opportunity to work across many industries

Cons

-Can be on the road up to 4 days a week for months at a time
    -Can be a round-the-clock job

-Keep doing what you're doing!

Great firm, for a while

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

smart people, good cash, high intellectual stimulation, strong brand

Cons

if you stay too long you become too expensive/irrelevant for many lateral exit opportunities.
    limited ability to control what you are staffed on, what expertise you are developing.
    work life balance is a constant struggle

pay as much attention to staffing and retaining talent as you do to recruiting it. staffing matters a lot, especially if employees aren't looking to stay forever

Best in class consulting work alongside amazing, supportive colleagues makes the job truly rewarding

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Amazing people: I am constantly learning from the people above and below me. It is an incredibly supportive and inspiring group of people to be a part of. Day to day, your supervisors are aware of your contributions, professional development, and truly care about your experience on the team. In addition to your case team, you also start with a class of consultants at your level and they quickly become your friends and a great business resource.
    - Interesting and varied cases: In my first year and a half, I’ve gotten to work in over 4 different industries and across practice areas (strategy, merger integration and PE diligence). I like that no case is the same and that I'm constantly needing to learn something new. As a consultant, I’ve started managing more junior team members which I find rewarding as well.
    -The firm gets all of the people stuff right to make the job sustainable and enjoyable – Temp checks to make sure teams are successful, inspired and happy. Ways to recognize good work in the office. Global trainings (Miami, Dubai, etc.) to prepare you to be successful for the job. Fun stuff to reconnect with the office or others in your class (Summer Meeting, Bain Band, Bain World Cup).

Cons

-The client problems we're solving can be tough to crack. In particular, it is difficult for big organizations to change and, at times, setbacks can be discouraging. Sometimes we’ll need to have multiple meetings on the same topic to get client buy-in throughout the organization which can feel tedious.
    -The hours can be long (~12+ hours/day) on tough cases, although weekends are almost always protected

- Keep it up! Keep finding ways to celebrate good work in the office and bring people together
    - Stay sharp on reruiting to make sure we continue to bring in the best talent

Best company ever

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Have not start working yet, but can see Bain is a great company through recruiting process

Cons

Not yet any opinions here.

A great place to start

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Bain & Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people who are hired to work at Bain truly are exceptional. The employees I interacted with were always happy to collaborate and help one another.

Cons

I didn't find any glaring down sides. I can say the consulting side enjoyed more benefits than the business admin side but that is to be expected to some degree.

Best Place to Work - No Lie

Current Employee - Non-Consulting Staff in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Non-Consulting Staff in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Bain is a great place to work. I feel very fortunate to have landed my non-consulting job here. Plenty of personal time off, the training has been great and my colleagues are fantastic. It's so nice to work at a place where I never have to say, "that person is an idiot," because pretty much everyone at Bain is intelligent and thoughtful. My supervisors have been extremely supportive, I've been able to work in a way at Bain that I haven't been able to at any other company. Bain has an entrepreneur spirit in that you can "build your own Bain." At Bain we do the things we want to do and are passionate about, not just the things that just pay the bills.

I've worked at many other companies that people consider glamorous and are great for the resume. The management at Bain is fantastic, I promise you, it will be hard to find a better company to work for.

Cons

If you're non-consulting staff there is a divide and you will feel it. Consultants are the bread and butter of the company (it is a consulting firm, after all!) and you will be reminded of this occasionally. There is ALWAYS a ton of work to do which is great for opportunity but can kill your live/work balance if you let it. It's up to you.

Very steep learning curve, insane working hours, hostile environment.

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Seoul (South Korea)
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Seoul (South Korea)

I worked at Bain & Company as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

You learn tremendously in a short amount of time and given considerable responsibility.

Cons

Consultants were not the friendliest which is understandable given the constant client pressure.
    Absolutely brutal workings hours (8AM - 3AM): this is however, largely cultural as such hours are norm in Korean corporate culture.

Treat every employee with respect. You never know whom you're working with and how even the lowest employees productivity can be improved with a little communication and interaction.

A company that cares, and that isn't full of itself

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

At Bain, people really care about each other and about their clients, and the single biggest reason for that is the humble attitude that's at the core of the company. There's a genuine sentiment of being "at cause," i.e., doing what's required to successfuly resolve the ask of the day, and it's pretty inspiring to find a large number of people at a global company aligned around a value like that.

Cons

Consulting is a demanding career, period. Client service entails a certain non-predictability and readiness to live with peaks and ebbs in terms of hours. Bain is not any different from other consulting firms in that regard.

The key thing that has made/kept this company great is humility. We still have a lot of it - but as we grow, and as we receive honors/awards like the "#1 place to work in the U.S.," let's make sure never to lose humility. We're not the end all be all of things, and we're not the smartest people on the planet, and we shouldn't ever act like we are. That's why people like to work here, and why clients like to work with us.