Baker Hughes

Baker Hughes Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Baker Hughes President and CEO Martin Craighead

Martin Craighead

Pros
  • Depending on superior, work life balance is reasonable(in 19 reviews)

• Long standing oil tools company with good benefits(in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance as there is little regard for employees(in 17 reviews)

• Upper management is doesn't understand the impact of their decisions(in 21 reviews)

Good company to work for & would recommend them.

Field Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsBaker have a good mindset regarding their "Core Values" and actively encourage employees to follow these implicitly. Progress is encouraged - for those who want to progress and are willing to work for it. Plenty opportunities for individuals to progress in operations especially if you are willing to work your way up.

ConsAlmost fanatical efforts to reduce costs - even at the risk of significantly impacting individual work/life balance detrimentally, as well as reducing the support infrastructure. In some areas, again a significant effort to be seen to recruit female nationals - to the extent that this can appear to be negatively impact male candidates.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care that efforts to nationalise don't make you blind to what nationals (in some locations) are actually capable of in the short term. Spend the money to recruit nationals and then allow sufficient time for them to work alongside expats, before cutting them loose on jobs on their own.

A company moving forward

Corporate Auditor (Current Employee)

ProsInternational company constantly striving for growth, profitability and efficiency. Had undergone many restructuring and consolidation to become a more unified and streamlined company. Good people and financial benefits.

ConsPromotions and career development only just being set up for certain departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about talent management.

Excellent company

Field Engineer (Former Employee) London, England

ProsExcellent quality facilaties hotels and the candidates are really good

Consnothing is very bad and honestly makes nothing makes me worried about the future of the company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working as Wireline Field Engineer

Wireline Field Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsYou learn a lot about tool operations (mechanical and mostly electrical/electronic).
    Huge Exposures to managing people as a crew leader at the field. You also learn to manage issues and remain calm under pressure.
    You can become totally developed within a short period of time, depending on your drive to succeed and how much of a fit you are in the role.

ConsYou have to learn to get your hands dirty... and be ready to take responsibility for the mistakes of others. Most times you are stretched beyond limits.. but you'll be fine.
    You must pass the logging school to remain on the job

Good company, but not enough development of young talent

Lab Technician (Former Employee) Aberdeen, Scotland

ProsSolid company, good benefits, great facilities. If anything was required for my job I rarely had any trouble getting it. They were good with allowing holidays and supporting me with day to day problems. Not too much paperwork cluttering up my work schedule either. I had a lot of autonomy and therefore control over my working day.

ConsStaff training was limited and the company was reluctant to allow me to move into different roles. This meant I got bored staying in the same job too long and left to join a company that would allow me to develop.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe careful that your managers are not using old fashioned management techniques. Communication from the higher level managers was poor. Identify staff who are interested in moving within the company and allow them to develop and change roles.

International Company

ProsLots of International travel expected

ConsHard working culture of work in company

Baker need to invest in personnel and equipment to stay competative, raise the salaries to be in line with competators

ProsGreat field personnel to work with

ConsTaking too many contractors instead of full time personnel

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is key as is the balance of home and work.

Good company

ProsGood environment.
    Lots of travel.
    Different trainings.

ConsLower salaries if compared to competitors.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more flexible.

Baker Hughes Logging Geologist, Aberdeen

Logging Geologist (Current Employee) Aberdeen, Scotland

ProsPays better than any other mud logging company.
    Very large company with benefits such as health care + pension contributions.
    On the whole my co workers are decent people who help out when you are new and easy to get along with a work with.
    Logistics have been kind to me and allowed me to have time off for short notice events, even if i haven't declared it as a holiday. However I know others have not been do lucky.

ConsSome people clearly are not competent and have risen to higher and more responsible jobs on time at the company alone.
    Morale is generally low, especially with the more experienced data engineers.
    Time on and off is not 2 weeks, there is no structure to time off. It is as and when. Management expect you to sit by your phone and wait for the call. You get 33 days a year holiday and even that can be touched if management has "no one else available". As a result, in this job you cannot really plan your life, or the little life you do get is planned around work.
    There does not seem to be any feedback to the SLS managers/coordinators about our performances offshore. It is as if we are just numbers filling spaces and if you get asked not to return to one rig, you will be sent to another one and nothing is done to address why you have been dismissed from a job in the first place.

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage in regular feedback with geologist/company man on rig to hear how the mud logging team is performing.
    Hire enough staff so every job has regular rotation. Being able to plan your social calendar will improve morale no end.

Wonderful place to start a career

ProsGreat learning oppurtunitys from the start

ConsNever know what's going on

Advice to Senior ManagementMore employee feedback

Worked for Baker Hughes? Contribute to the Community!