Baker Hughes

Updated 16 December 2014
3.6

Baker Hughes President and CEO Martin Craighead
Martin Craighead

Pros
  • Work /Life Balance - flexible hours, remote access from home when ill (in 22 reviews)

• Good benefits pay could be better, oppurtunities good and work with a good team (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance as there is little regard for employees (in 20 reviews)

• Upper management is doesn't understand the impact of their decisions (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

so so

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time

Pros

Good benefits pay could be better, oppurtunities good and work with a good team

Cons

upper management not a sclued up as they should be when it comes to OPS more sales focused and top heavy

A company moving forward

Current Employee - Corporate Auditor
    Current Employee - Corporate Auditor

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time

Pros

International company constantly striving for growth, profitability and efficiency. Had undergone many restructuring and consolidation to become a more unified and streamlined company. Good people and financial benefits.

Cons

Promotions and career development only just being set up for certain departments.

Think about talent management.

Good company to work for & would recommend them.

Former Employee - Field Engineer
    Former Employee - Field Engineer

I worked at Baker Hughes full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Baker have a good mindset regarding their "Core Values" and actively encourage employees to follow these implicitly. Progress is encouraged - for those who want to progress and are willing to work for it. Plenty opportunities for individuals to progress in operations especially if you are willing to work your way up.

Cons

Almost fanatical efforts to reduce costs - even at the risk of significantly impacting individual work/life balance detrimentally, as well as reducing the support infrastructure. In some areas, again a significant effort to be seen to recruit female nationals - to the extent that this can appear to be negatively impact male candidates.

Take care that efforts to nationalise don't make you blind to what nationals (in some locations) are actually capable of in the short term. Spend the money to recruit nationals and then allow sufficient time for them to work alongside expats, before cutting them loose on jobs on their own.

Excellent company

Former Employee - Field Engineer in London, England
    Former Employee - Field Engineer in London, England

I worked at Baker Hughes as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent quality facilaties hotels and the candidates are really good

Cons

nothing is very bad and honestly makes nothing makes me worried about the future of the company

Working as Wireline Field Engineer

Former Employee - Wireline Field Engineer
    Former Employee - Wireline Field Engineer

I worked at Baker Hughes full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You learn a lot about tool operations (mechanical and mostly electrical/electronic).
    Huge Exposures to managing people as a crew leader at the field. You also learn to manage issues and remain calm under pressure.
    You can become totally developed within a short period of time, depending on your drive to succeed and how much of a fit you are in the role.

Cons

You have to learn to get your hands dirty... and be ready to take responsibility for the mistakes of others. Most times you are stretched beyond limits.. but you'll be fine.
    You must pass the logging school to remain on the job

Good company, but not enough development of young talent

Former Employee - Lab Technician in Aberdeen, Scotland
    Former Employee - Lab Technician in Aberdeen, Scotland

I worked at Baker Hughes full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Solid company, good benefits, great facilities. If anything was required for my job I rarely had any trouble getting it. They were good with allowing holidays and supporting me with day to day problems. Not too much paperwork cluttering up my work schedule either. I had a lot of autonomy and therefore control over my working day.

Cons

Staff training was limited and the company was reluctant to allow me to move into different roles. This meant I got bored staying in the same job too long and left to join a company that would allow me to develop.

Be careful that your managers are not using old fashioned management techniques. Communication from the higher level managers was poor. Identify staff who are interested in moving within the company and allow them to develop and change roles.

International Company

I have been working at Baker Hughes

Pros

Lots of International travel expected

Cons

Hard working culture of work in company

Baker need to invest in personnel and equipment to stay competative, raise the salaries to be in line with competators

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time

Pros

Great field personnel to work with

Cons

Taking too many contractors instead of full time personnel

Communication is key as is the balance of home and work.

Good company

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good environment.
    Lots of travel.
    Different trainings.

Cons

Lower salaries if compared to competitors.

Be more flexible.

Baker Hughes Logging Geologist, Aberdeen

Current Employee - Logging Geologist in Aberdeen, Scotland
    Current Employee - Logging Geologist in Aberdeen, Scotland

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pays better than any other mud logging company.
    Very large company with benefits such as health care + pension contributions.
    On the whole my co workers are decent people who help out when you are new and easy to get along with a work with.
    Logistics have been kind to me and allowed me to have time off for short notice events, even if i haven't declared it as a holiday. However I know others have not been do lucky.

Cons

Some people clearly are not competent and have risen to higher and more responsible jobs on time at the company alone.
    Morale is generally low, especially with the more experienced data engineers.
    Time on and off is not 2 weeks, there is no structure to time off. It is as and when. Management expect you to sit by your phone and wait for the call. You get 33 days a year holiday and even that can be touched if management has "no one else available". As a result, in this job you cannot really plan your life, or the little life you do get is planned around work.
    There does not seem to be any feedback to the SLS managers/coordinators about our performances offshore. It is as if we are just numbers filling spaces and if you get asked not to return to one rig, you will be sent to another one and nothing is done to address why you have been dismissed from a job in the first place.

Engage in regular feedback with geologist/company man on rig to hear how the mud logging team is performing.
    Hire enough staff so every job has regular rotation. Being able to plan your social calendar will improve morale no end.