Ball Corporation Reviews

3.5

Ball Corporation President, CEO, and Director John A. Hayes
John A. Hayes

Pressman/Coater Operator

Former Employee - Pressman/Coater Operator  in  Elgin, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Pressman/Coater Operator in Elgin, IL (US)

I worked at Ball Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Very good wages,good people to work with.

Cons

Management did not know anything about printing that's why they closed the plant!!!!!

Hire management that knows whats going on!!!!!!!!

Company used to be much better under old management.

I worked at Ball Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good pay and head office benefits.

Cons

Poor management at both head office and at the plants.

Very Generous Company

I have been working at Ball Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Ball offers a very generous compensation and benefits package. The company provides ample development opportunities for those who are willing to put in the work. Ball is very generous in its charitable giving in the communities where it operates. The company has been around a long time and is built on a history of success. There is very low turnover at the company which speaks highly of the culture.

Cons

A large company where underperformers can get lost. It's low turnover can also be seen as a negative in that ideas and policies remain a bit stagnant over time.

None, keep up the good work.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

One of the best companies in the USA

Current Employee - Industrial Electrician  in  North Tampa Heights, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Industrial Electrician in North Tampa Heights, FL (US)

I have been working at Ball Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good wages. Heavy emphasis on Safety. Production work is four days on four days off, 12 hours a day 6 to 6. Ball has many operations all over the world, to include Aerospace.

Cons

High noise level. Monthly rotating shifts from days to nights. Very hot on the production floor. It IS Florida! This information applies to the Tampa plant only.

Keep turnover to a minimum.

a great co-op experience

I worked at Ball Corporation as an intern

Pros

I really enjoyed working here. There was a lot of work and business travel for an engineering co-op, a lot more than I expected I would do. I liked the engineer I reported to because he would explain what he wanted done and then let me go work on it until it needed approval or until I had a question. Also, the general atmosphere was great and everyone was very nice.

Cons

There really were no cons because it was a great experience for an engineer still in school and allowed me to learn a lot.

Excellent

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Broomfield, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO (US)

I have been working at Ball Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great company to work for, like the direction we are heading

Cons

Sometimes seemed like we did not want to make changes

Keep on the same track we are on, love the communcation we are now seeing

Purchaser and closer of productive and profitable beverage can plants

Former Employee - Production Associate
    Former Employee - Production Associate

I worked at Ball Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent Wages and Benefits/Pension (all thanks to Collective Bargaining Agreement in place at time plant was purchased)

Cons

Plant purchased in 2009 by Ball Corporation. Senior management came in with the promise of a long career for us all, very impressed with our facility in every way, they even stated that they "wanted our children and grand-children to work there"...all untrue! No real investment in the plant, no real exchange of personnel from other Ball facilities to help integrate culture. They cutback on scheduled maintenance almost immediately and laid off 48 people at end of 2011, than they announced the following year that our facility would be closing permanently at the end of 2012. They are a union-busting company, they're subtle about it, they do it quietly and legally as the previous four beverage can plants that they closed (counting us) were unionized. Dispersed our volume to other facilities. Utililize inexperienced workers from temporary services. If they buy your plant be very wary especially if unionized and update your resume, start looking for a new job and saving your money.

Stop closing can plants and contributing to the loss of family-supportive middle-class jobs in this economy.

Great COOP experience

Current Employee - Engineering Intern  in  Horsham, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Engineering Intern in Horsham, PA (US)

I have been working at Ball Corporation as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great work environment
    Got to learn a lot about the engineering side of the company
    Got to learn a lot about management

Cons

The experience gotten out of the COOP is relative to how much you want to learn. This means if you try hard you will get a lot of good experience, if not you will end up not learning much and wasting your time.

N/A

Company going in the wrong direction

Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say
    Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say

I have been working at Ball Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pays a reasonable working wage

Cons

The "corporate culture" has changed and not for the better. Ball used to genuinely care about its employees. Now it only seems concerned with keeping investors happy. Almost all, if not all, union plants have closed, while large amounts of money funneled into operations/startups in foreign countries.
    Mandatory overtime, frequent use of temp employees with no experience, then management complaining when production numbers are down.
    Disturbing pattern of finding nit-picky reasons to let go of experienced employees only to replace them with outsiders (friends of management) or piling more work on existing employees. Bidding on internal openings is a joke. Policies tend to favor the slackers over the people who actually show up to do their jobs.

Look at how the company was run a decade ago and aim for a similar module.

Good company, but there's concern about its direction.

Current Employee - IT Professional  in  Broomfield, CO (US)
    Current Employee - IT Professional in Broomfield, CO (US)

I have been working at Ball Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The company has decent benefits and fair salaries including a pension plan. Most management is great to work for. Pleasant work environment with lots of great people. Generally nice facilities. Many staffers love the company and treat it like their own. If you're under 50, it can be a great place to work.

Cons

Employee loyalty and length of service is not rewarded. New breed of executives are mostly concerned about themselves and not the company. Major effort underway to get rid of longterm employees over 50. Middle managers are often stressed out and worried about their jobs. Decisions are often made for CYA purposes.

Replace the CIO. He's a horrific manager who is egotistical, derisive, and blind to researched facts & opinions that don't coincide with his agenda. Many staffers and plant personnel would do anything for this company, but no longer believe management feels the same.

Worked for Ball Corporation? Contribute to the Community!