Banana Republic

Updated 17 September 2014
3.3

Banana Republic President Jack Calhoun
Jack Calhoun

Pros
  • Great discount to use over 3 brands(Banana Republic, Old Navy & Gap) (in 101 reviews)

• Employee discount is a nice perk (which applies or other Gap related companies) (in 93 reviews)

Cons
  • Pushing credit cards is the only thing corporate is worried about (in 87 reviews)

• Employee raises were given once a year, but they cap sales associates in the Factory Stores at (in 38 reviews)

More Highlights

inspirational and exciting

Current Employee - Associate Manager  in  Chelsea, England
    Current Employee - Associate Manager in Chelsea, England

I have been working at Banana Republic full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I feel motivated by the company, very supportive towards progression and feel proud to be part of a leading and expanding brand. Open to new ideas and always trying push to get the best out of every staff member. The product is getting better every season which makes me want to sell it harder! Love the atmosphere in central stores, the luxury and chicness of the brand gives real competition to other luxury brands on the high st.

Cons

Hard to think of cons, but as a ember of management, i would love to have a little more payroll hours to ensure that my team are getting all the training they need effectively first time round.

My advice to managemnt is to keep doing what they are doing because they are fab! Maybe sometimes have realistic time frames with some tasks as it can get too operational in stores at times due to workload. Apart from that all is great!

Concentration Camp

Former Employee - Brand Ambassador  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in London, England

I worked at Banana Republic as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

My colleagues were absolutely fantastic

Cons

where do i begin: the management was the worst i have ever seen. London flagship needs to seriously be reviewed in terms of managerial positions. I felt discriminated against. I felt victimized. Worst of all i began to doubt myself as a human being. Further, to expect workers to perform at their full potential when the air conditioner is broken is too much (especially when it is the middle of summer and it is 30+ degrees on the lower level. Fans not only look unprofessional they also do not help at all

Take a course at a community college to further develop skills in organizing a workforce, and further understand that in business you must not be biased in your decisions, just because you dont like somebody does not mean you wait for them to make a mistake and then punish them. you work with them, you do not own the company and i believe that if head management saw what you were doing to employees you would be out of a job very quickly.

Relatively organised company, in general they treat the employees well.

Current Employee - Visual Manager  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Visual Manager in London, England

I have been working at Banana Republic full-time for less than a year

Pros

Relatively organised company, in general they treat the employees well.They support employees to relocate internationally - big plus if you willing to work hard!

Cons

Employees are underpaid, no space for development, however they always offer salary pay rise when someone handing his notice in.

Would be great if they appreciate their employees financially while they work for the company instead of offering pay rise when they willing to leave.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good working, friendly environment with a relaxed atmosphere where you can meet customer needs!

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Shepherds Bush, England
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Shepherds Bush, England

I have been working at Banana Republic part-time for more than a year

Pros

they offer flexible shifts whereby i can study and work at the same time, you can transfer to Gap, the uniform discount is amazing and helps sell the companys products too, the training helps you feel apart of a team and the dicounts for family and friends also helps getting closer people into the shop buying items.

Cons

the only con for me is that although the company provide us with goood discount i wish they paid the staff more i also wish they had a clothing line for children too, they could appeal to a new target market.

i think they should take into consideration targetting a new target market as the clothes they sell instore are mainly for grown men and women

Good but not the best.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in London, England

I have been working at Banana Republic part-time for more than a year

Pros

The discount is fantastic! You get an unlimited discount of 75% off for yourself and unlimited 50% off for friends and family in Banana Republic and Gap! The discount is probably the best thing about the job. Also, the staff are very friendly, management aren't rude or aggressive. The clothes are very nice and the atmosphere of the shop is very sophisticated and elevated- as well as the customers.

Cons

I feel that the management are quite fake, the company some what promotes and encourages over enthusiasm and optimism even when people are not up for it, leading to very two faced personalities. Also, the store can be very quiet at times and time goes very slowly- however this depends on what store you work in. Also, sometimes we are encouraged to be too clingy to customers and it is annoying for both customers and staff. Management have very high expectations for customer service but do not follow through with their own advice. VERY unstable hours, hours are always given outside of my availability.

Follow the company guidelines to be the brand but do not let it overshadow your own personality. Do not ask us to be a particular way or set a specific standard if you are not following through with it yourself.

A pleasure to work for!

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Manchester, England

I worked at Banana Republic part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great working environment, perfect team, encouraging management, 'sadness is infectious' therefore there is allowed no sadness, but if you are you have a positive management to talk to! The product is great, the hours are long in a quiet store however incentives and work environment games encourage and reduce boredom! Loved it!!!! Lots of money from the company bonus goes into the staff, e.g staff room toasters, microwaves, tv, box sets, and personal hygiene care. Holidays are great and as a student working with lots of other people, you can normally with ease switch days to get the days off you prefer without taking a holiday. Training days are fun and engaging and include lots of krispy kreme donuts! yum! Fab Fab Fab place to work!

Cons

Having a stockroom upstairs! Definitely a bit of a work out! Sometimes the store is quiet and standing at the front of the store for an hour is quite a pain! Other than them pathetic cons, I cannot really suggest any more!

Keep up with your happy approach and positive encouragement!

Good to work for

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Waterloo, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Waterloo, NY (US)

I worked at Banana Republic part-time for more than a year

Pros

30% employee discount, LOTS of training on the "Brand", very good employee incentives - management always brought in xtra snacks when long hours were mandated.

Cons

need to be available on weekends and holidays or working here is not an option, management use incentives as bribes making me feel like a 5 year old child! Not many of the clothes are on hangers so you do LOTS of folding. They really have the associates push customers to sign up for their credit card.

Good co-workers, good hours, easy work, but does get boring at times

I worked at Banana Republic

Pros

good hours, easy work, retail, easy going coworkers

Cons

not enough hours, gets boring at times, customers can be a headache.

nice job

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Banana Republic part-time

Pros

excellent environment and managers very accesible

Cons

little advancement for employees especially if sales assoc.

rotate people around, sales associate get tired of being all the time in the floor and need some time as cashiers, same thing for cashiers need more time out in the floor

Fantastic

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  London, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in London, ON (Canada)

I worked at Banana Republic part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great management, positive feedback, staff support, great team environment. Flexibility with work schedule, great product and awesome image..

Cons

I did not have any, but for some it could be weekend availability, evenings shift or sometimes shorter shifts.

Key for great employees is a great management team. Support, training and positive reinforcement.

Worked for Banana Republic? Contribute to the Community!