Banana Republic

Updated 19 October 2014
3.3

Banana Republic President Jack Calhoun
Jack Calhoun

Pros
  • Great discount to use over 3 brands(Banana Republic, Old Navy & Gap) (in 105 reviews)

• Employee discount is a nice perk (which applies or other Gap related companies) (in 103 reviews)

Cons
  • Management heavily pushes the credit card because they have a quota too meet for each day (in 95 reviews)

• If you don't value your work/life balance then this is the perfect company for you (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

inspirational and exciting

Current Employee - Associate Manager in Chelsea, England
    Current Employee - Associate Manager in Chelsea, England

I have been working at Banana Republic full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I feel motivated by the company, very supportive towards progression and feel proud to be part of a leading and expanding brand. Open to new ideas and always trying push to get the best out of every staff member. The product is getting better every season which makes me want to sell it harder! Love the atmosphere in central stores, the luxury and chicness of the brand gives real competition to other luxury brands on the high st.

Cons

Hard to think of cons, but as a ember of management, i would love to have a little more payroll hours to ensure that my team are getting all the training they need effectively first time round.

My advice to managemnt is to keep doing what they are doing because they are fab! Maybe sometimes have realistic time frames with some tasks as it can get too operational in stores at times due to workload. Apart from that all is great!

Poor management, flagship in London very poor, two faced people and big egos BR

Former Employee - Sales Associate in London, England
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in London, England

I worked at Banana Republic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great fashion and trendy, modern brand, amazing, fast paced environment, vibrant atmosphere

Cons

Very poor hourly rate, not realistic career path, crazy shifts for staff (eg nights or extremely early). Not flexibility for those who study or have other responsibilities. Extremely low balance with work and life or none at all.

Please treat staff as human and not robots, stop asking too much to staff, be realistic in term of workforce. Talk straight to your staff, don't think your owner of the company, just put feet on earth.

So unorganised

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Pancras, England
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Pancras, England

I have been working at Banana Republic full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great discounts,if you show hard work progress

Cons

Management are dont care about you at all

Should listen people

Concentration Camp

Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in London, England
    Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in London, England

I worked at Banana Republic as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

My colleagues were absolutely fantastic

Cons

where do i begin: the management was the worst i have ever seen. London flagship needs to seriously be reviewed in terms of managerial positions. I felt discriminated against. I felt victimized. Worst of all i began to doubt myself as a human being. Further, to expect workers to perform at their full potential when the air conditioner is broken is too much (especially when it is the middle of summer and it is 30+ degrees on the lower level. Fans not only look unprofessional they also do not help at all

Take a course at a community college to further develop skills in organizing a workforce, and further understand that in business you must not be biased in your decisions, just because you dont like somebody does not mean you wait for them to make a mistake and then punish them. you work with them, you do not own the company and i believe that if head management saw what you were doing to employees you would be out of a job very quickly.

Relatively organised company, in general they treat the employees well.

Current Employee - Visual Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Visual Manager in London, England

I have been working at Banana Republic full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Relatively organised company, in general they treat the employees well.They support employees to relocate internationally - big plus if you willing to work hard!

Cons

Employees are underpaid, no space for development, however they always offer salary pay rise when someone handing his notice in.

Would be great if they appreciate their employees financially while they work for the company instead of offering pay rise when they willing to leave.

Good working, friendly environment with a relaxed atmosphere where you can meet customer needs!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Shepherds Bush, England
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Shepherds Bush, England

I have been working at Banana Republic part-time (more than an year)

Pros

they offer flexible shifts whereby i can study and work at the same time, you can transfer to Gap, the uniform discount is amazing and helps sell the companys products too, the training helps you feel apart of a team and the dicounts for family and friends also helps getting closer people into the shop buying items.

Cons

the only con for me is that although the company provide us with goood discount i wish they paid the staff more i also wish they had a clothing line for children too, they could appeal to a new target market.

i think they should take into consideration targetting a new target market as the clothes they sell instore are mainly for grown men and women

Good but not the best.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in London, England
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in London, England

I have been working at Banana Republic part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The discount is fantastic! You get an unlimited discount of 75% off for yourself and unlimited 50% off for friends and family in Banana Republic and Gap! The discount is probably the best thing about the job. Also, the staff are very friendly, management aren't rude or aggressive. The clothes are very nice and the atmosphere of the shop is very sophisticated and elevated- as well as the customers.

Cons

I feel that the management are quite fake, the company some what promotes and encourages over enthusiasm and optimism even when people are not up for it, leading to very two faced personalities. Also, the store can be very quiet at times and time goes very slowly- however this depends on what store you work in. Also, sometimes we are encouraged to be too clingy to customers and it is annoying for both customers and staff. Management have very high expectations for customer service but do not follow through with their own advice. VERY unstable hours, hours are always given outside of my availability.

Follow the company guidelines to be the brand but do not let it overshadow your own personality. Do not ask us to be a particular way or set a specific standard if you are not following through with it yourself.

A pleasure to work for!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Manchester, England

I worked at Banana Republic part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great working environment, perfect team, encouraging management, 'sadness is infectious' therefore there is allowed no sadness, but if you are you have a positive management to talk to! The product is great, the hours are long in a quiet store however incentives and work environment games encourage and reduce boredom! Loved it!!!! Lots of money from the company bonus goes into the staff, e.g staff room toasters, microwaves, tv, box sets, and personal hygiene care. Holidays are great and as a student working with lots of other people, you can normally with ease switch days to get the days off you prefer without taking a holiday. Training days are fun and engaging and include lots of krispy kreme donuts! yum! Fab Fab Fab place to work!

Cons

Having a stockroom upstairs! Definitely a bit of a work out! Sometimes the store is quiet and standing at the front of the store for an hour is quite a pain! Other than them pathetic cons, I cannot really suggest any more!

Keep up with your happy approach and positive encouragement!

Good retail job. Overemphasis on store card

Former Employee - Sales Support in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Support in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Banana Republic part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great discount. 50% off full price items and 15% off sale items (if I remember correctly). Co-workers were very friendly and the managers were very supportive, especially in helping you sell a banana republic card. There's no commission so there's no need to worry about your pay. Time and a half for working holidays.

Cons

Typical retail unpredictable hours. You will be expected to work holidays.
     If selling store cards to customers is not your thing then this position may be a bit stressful for you. Although you don't make commission you are expected to sell store cards, and the more the better. It can get a bit competitive between employees in terms of "claiming" customers for card sales.

The best retail environment I have ever experienced.

Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor
    Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor

I have been working at Banana Republic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The customers are great, and if your team is given the proper tools to succeed and assist those customers, winning is inevitable.

If you have the right availability for leadership roles, there is always opportunity for advancement within all of GAP, Inc.

Cons

Frequent promotional changes. It is important for all leaders/associates to be change agile. It is necessary for driving your sales.

Practice consistency with corrective action for all leaders/associates. Toxicity spreads when situations are not handled in a timely fashion.