Banana Republic Reviews

3.5
1,060 Reviews
Banana Republic President Jack Calhoun
Jack Calhoun

Pros
  • Employee discount is a nice perk (which applies or other Gap related companies) (in 111 reviews)

• Great discount to use over 3 brands(Banana Republic, Old Navy & Gap) (in 109 reviews)

Cons
  • Pushing credit cards is the only thing corporate is worried about (in 99 reviews)

• If you don't value your work/life balance then this is the perfect company for you (in 22 reviews)

inspirational and exciting

Current Employee - Associate Manager in Chelsea, England
    Current Employee - Associate Manager in Chelsea, England

I have been working at Banana Republic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I feel motivated by the company, very supportive towards progression and feel proud to be part of a leading and expanding brand. Open to new ideas and always trying push to get the best out of every staff member. The product is getting better every season which makes me want to sell it harder! Love the atmosphere in central stores, the luxury and chicness of the brand gives real competition to other luxury brands on the high st.

Cons

Hard to think of cons, but as a ember of management, i would love to have a little more payroll hours to ensure that my team are getting all the training they need effectively first time round.

Advice to Management

My advice to managemnt is to keep doing what they are doing because they are fab! Maybe sometimes have realistic time frames with some tasks as it can get too operational in stores at times due to workload. Apart from that all is great!

2. London Flagship Store.

I worked at Banana Republic

Pros

Good team on the shop floor and good operations team. There are room for progression but that is just dependant on your performance.

Cons

Poor management, management did not communicate well with the staff. There were no connection between the managers and the sale associates, it was very divided which in my opinion is not that great.
    The managers expect a 100% from you to make a sale but when you do feel like you made a contribution, theres no recognition or appreciation from the managers, their just bothered about hitting daily sales.- You always feel on edge because the managers expect you to literally hassle the customers for 'assistance' but in my opinion, that is the wrong way to go about. (Can't expect us to keep hassling customers, it's very annoying).
     - The managers were two-faced, even the supervisors didn't like the managers and the sales team didn't like the visual team, so what does that say?! This is just very poor considering this was the London Flagship store! At the time I left, 12 others resigned after as well.

To be honest, I've worked in retail nearly all my working life but I did not expect this from a flagship store.

Advice to Management

HR really need to investigate managers performance in terms of how they communicate with their staff! 12 people gave in their notice in the space of 1 month! - So it is pretty self-explanatory! There needs to be major improvements!
    Just because your a flagship store and is capable of having huge roll over of new staff is not the point! Treat the staff below you the same way you treat other people in your management team, therefore everyone will feel equal.

3. Poor management, flagship in London very poor, two faced people and big egos BR

Former Employee - Sales Associate in London, England

I worked at Banana Republic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great fashion and trendy, modern brand, amazing, fast paced environment, vibrant atmosphere

Cons

Very poor hourly rate, not realistic career path, crazy shifts for staff (eg nights or extremely early). Not flexibility for those who study or have other responsibilities. Extremely low balance with work and life or none at all.

Advice to Management

Please treat staff as human and not robots, stop asking too much to staff, be realistic in term of workforce. Talk straight to your staff, don't think your owner of the company, just put feet on earth.

5. So unorganised

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Pancras, England
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Pancras, England

I have been working at Banana Republic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great discounts,if you show hard work progress

Cons

Management are dont care about you at all

Advice to Management

Should listen people

Concentration Camp

Former Contractor - Brand Ambassador in London, England
    Former Contractor - Brand Ambassador in London, England

I worked at Banana Republic as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

My colleagues were absolutely fantastic

Cons

where do i begin: the management was the worst i have ever seen. London flagship needs to seriously be reviewed in terms of managerial positions. I felt discriminated against. I felt victimized. Worst of all i began to doubt myself as a human being. Further, to expect workers to perform at their full potential when the air conditioner is broken is too much (especially when it is the middle of summer and it is 30+ degrees on the lower level. Fans not only look unprofessional they also do not help at all

Advice to Management

Take a course at a community college to further develop skills in organizing a workforce, and further understand that in business you must not be biased in your decisions, just because you dont like somebody does not mean you wait for them to make a mistake and then punish them. you work with them, you do not own the company and i believe that if head management saw what you were doing to employees you would be out of a job very quickly.

7. Relatively organised company, in general they treat the employees well.

Current Employee - Visual Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Visual Manager in London, England

I have been working at Banana Republic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relatively organised company, in general they treat the employees well.They support employees to relocate internationally - big plus if you willing to work hard!

Cons

Employees are underpaid, no space for development, however they always offer salary pay rise when someone handing his notice in.

Advice to Management

Would be great if they appreciate their employees financially while they work for the company instead of offering pay rise when they willing to leave.

8. Good working, friendly environment with a relaxed atmosphere where you can meet customer needs!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Shepherds Bush, England
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Shepherds Bush, England

I have been working at Banana Republic part-time (More than a year)

Pros

they offer flexible shifts whereby i can study and work at the same time, you can transfer to Gap, the uniform discount is amazing and helps sell the companys products too, the training helps you feel apart of a team and the dicounts for family and friends also helps getting closer people into the shop buying items.

Cons

the only con for me is that although the company provide us with goood discount i wish they paid the staff more i also wish they had a clothing line for children too, they could appeal to a new target market.

Advice to Management

i think they should take into consideration targetting a new target market as the clothes they sell instore are mainly for grown men and women

Good but not the best.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in London, England
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in London, England

I have been working at Banana Republic part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The discount is fantastic! You get an unlimited discount of 75% off for yourself and unlimited 50% off for friends and family in Banana Republic and Gap! The discount is probably the best thing about the job. Also, the staff are very friendly, management aren't rude or aggressive. The clothes are very nice and the atmosphere of the shop is very sophisticated and elevated- as well as the customers.

Cons

I feel that the management are quite fake, the company some what promotes and encourages over enthusiasm and optimism even when people are not up for it, leading to very two faced personalities. Also, the store can be very quiet at times and time goes very slowly- however this depends on what store you work in. Also, sometimes we are encouraged to be too clingy to customers and it is annoying for both customers and staff. Management have very high expectations for customer service but do not follow through with their own advice. VERY unstable hours, hours are always given outside of my availability.

Advice to Management

Follow the company guidelines to be the brand but do not let it overshadow your own personality. Do not ask us to be a particular way or set a specific standard if you are not following through with it yourself.

10. A pleasure to work for!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Manchester, England

I worked at Banana Republic part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great working environment, perfect team, encouraging management, 'sadness is infectious' therefore there is allowed no sadness, but if you are you have a positive management to talk to! The product is great, the hours are long in a quiet store however incentives and work environment games encourage and reduce boredom! Loved it!!!! Lots of money from the company bonus goes into the staff, e.g staff room toasters, microwaves, tv, box sets, and personal hygiene care. Holidays are great and as a student working with lots of other people, you can normally with ease switch days to get the days off you prefer without taking a holiday. Training days are fun and engaging and include lots of krispy kreme donuts! yum! Fab Fab Fab place to work!

Cons

Having a stockroom upstairs! Definitely a bit of a work out! Sometimes the store is quiet and standing at the front of the store for an hour is quite a pain! Other than them pathetic cons, I cannot really suggest any more!

Advice to Management

Keep up with your happy approach and positive encouragement!

11. Visual Specialist

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beachwood, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beachwood, OH (US)

I worked at Banana Republic part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work for Banana Republic are the people. Management was fair and saw dedicated employees and gave them changes for more hours or development. Also one of the best reasons to work for the company is the brand and the clothing. The design and strategy has been slowly changing and it has had a positive impact on the overall brand.

Cons

One of the downside of working for retail is having to manage customers and their expectation. I would advise if you have an opportunity to work there take it, but be honest with the customers as that is the best way to make a good impression and to get them to come bask.

Advice to Management

Allow for more flexibility around the schedules of the people. Do not favor employees and allow everyone to enjoy an 8 to 5 shift once in a while.