Banana Republic

Updated 18 August 2014

3.3

Banana Republic President Jack Calhoun
Jack Calhoun

Pros
  • Great discount to use over 3 brands(Banana Republic, Old Navy & Gap) (in 101 reviews)

• Employee discount is a nice perk (which applies or other Gap related companies) (in 93 reviews)

Cons
  • Pushing credit cards is the only thing corporate is worried about (in 87 reviews)

• Employee raises were given once a year, but they cap sales associates in the Factory Stores at (in 38 reviews)

More Highlights

I was a sale associate and part of the visual merchandising team

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Wilmington, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Wilmington, NC (US)

Pros

They offered flexible hours and the discount is awesome. I mostly enjoyed working working with my co-workers, of course you don't always get along with everyone you work with. I had an excellent management team to work for - particularly the General Manager was phenomenal.

Cons

Now the pay has changed, but when I worked there the pay was so-so. I hated having to choose between which holiday I could ask off for - either Christmas or Thanksgiving, but I did understand that that is just the nature of retail. Hated the holiday music! I also did not enjoy having to push the store credit card on customers.

Great working environment and pleasant co- workers

Pros

You learn one of the best customer service skills out there, as employee you get a 50% discount on merchandise. You learn how to work on high standard environment and deal with high class customers, at the end of the day you learn top class customer service skills that will be very helpful on your professional profile.

Cons

Opportunity to advance is very limited

Earning what I feel I deserve?

Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate  in  Skokie, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Skokie, IL (US)

Pros

Lots of hours. Opportunity for development. Flexible hours and shifts.

Cons

Lots of hours and tasks for little pay. Promoting within same store unheard of?

When someone is working exceptionally well; above and beyond, both for customers and for the betterment of the store, it's nice to be noticed. If said employee(s) wants a promotion and does all in his/her ability to achieve that, it's only fair to consider said person above anyone else and give said person that opportunity to develop and grow within the store.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Looking for your first job? Start here.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

From experience, I've worked at many different BR locations and mostly all the managers and supervisors treat each and everyone one of their employees with respect. On a rare occasion will you find a manager who takes these fresh college student employees for granted. A huge perk to working at BR as a college student (the age when funds are low) or as a first job is that employees get a great discount (50% of of full priced items). This is an amazing perk when compared to other retail stores.

Cons

The pay is what you would expect from most retail stores. It is also difficult to work up to a higher position. If you start off as a sales associate, you'll probably stay a sales associate forever. The hours, like most of retail, are also unpredictable.

My advice would be to continue caring for the low level, part time employees. We want to feel useful. Perhaps create more positions for employees to move up in the chain.

It's retail, what do you expect?

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

Good pay for the industry.
    Mostly good coworkers, especially the people who had been there a while.
    Lots of opportunities to learn new customer service skills.
    Flexible scheduling.

Cons

Demanding, cranky customers.
    Nearly all employee achievements were tied exclusively to the ability to sell the company credit card.

Possibly a great place to work...

Former Employee - Supervisor  in  Louisville, KY (US)
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Louisville, KY (US)

Pros

Both the pay and the benefits are great. It is a small environment, a lot of times you will only be working with 1 or 2 other associates. The District offices are in Ohio so there are not very many corporate visits, less stress than many retial jobs.

Cons

The associates and customers tend to be snobby. There are only a handful of positions in the stores are full time and most are Supervisor or Managment so there getting benefits or making a career at this company is dufficult. There is almost no opportunity for advancement as there are few locations with few Supervisor and even fewer Management positions.

Its been a great learning experience

Current Employee - Brand Ambassador  in  Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Brand Ambassador in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Pros

Its a fast passed environment and all the workers are friendly. The leadership team are the best I have worked for, they have really high standards which they try to maintain. You get enough time off and the dress code is really good too

Cons

Few hours, Customers sometimes can be rude so you have to be calm all the time as you might lose your temper if you are one of those weak people. A bit of favouritism

They are doing an awesome job however more Feedback to employees would be welcome.

I love my Job

Pros

Great People and Great Product

Cons

Should be paid for experience

Good Experience

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Locust Grove, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Locust Grove, GA (US)

Pros

Great team awesome experience and sometime flexible hours

Cons

Horrible part time hours. Needs staff other than kids in high school.

Work with team as much as possible.

Great part-time job

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Folsom, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Folsom, CA (US)

Pros

The discount is generous and can be used in all of Gap Inc.'s affiliate stores.

The volume of customers and the employees I worked with were friendly and upbeat.

It's a great starter or part-time job, because you learn to deal with the challenging aspects of working for a large company while meeting new people every day.

Cons

Training is minimal. I often had to learn on my own while on the job. Also, I was not trained to assist customers on the cash register until after working there for 1.5 years!

Pushing the credit card can be difficult, especially when Corporate wants the store to reach a certain daily quota.

Be careful not to get carried away with spending your entire paycheck here... it is tempting! :)

Growth in the company is difficult, especially for sales associates. There is definitely a high turnover rate in both sales associates and management.

Train your workers in all aspects of the sales associate job.

Worked for Banana Republic? Contribute to the Community!