Bank of Ireland

Bank of Ireland Reviews

Updated Mar 30, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Bank of Ireland Group Chief Executive and Director; Chief Executive, Retail Financial Services Ireland (RFSI) Richie Boucher

Richie Boucher

Good, but not great

Associate (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at Bank of Ireland

ProsGreat, friendly staff who are a pleasure to work with and who appreciate the importance of a good work/life balance

ConsCompensation and benefits are not to the standard that is available elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementDifferent sectors of the bank should be treated differently dependent upon performance

Bank of Ireland is changing for the better.

Dublin, AR (US)

I have been working at Bank of Ireland full-time for more than 8 years

ProsSignificant & exciting change agenda
Exciting times ahead for the business
Interesting mix of new technology driving how the bank does its business
Bank very supportive of staff doing further education & upskilling

ConsSome resisters still have influence, especially some of the longer serving staff
Middle managers need to up their game & change management abilities

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the change agenda

Improving the way they do business

I have been working at Bank of Ireland as a contractor for less than a year

ProsImproving out dated and redundant processes, embracing technology, 9 - 5 hours, positive atmosphere.

ConsProgression is about time served not about talent. career model seriously needs to be looked at. alot of old school dead weight in senior management

Advice to Senior Managementpromote talent not time served

Don't bother

Customer Advisor (Current Employee)
Tallagh (Ireland)

I have been working at Bank of Ireland full-time for less than a year

ProsSome nice people in the office

ConsThey tried to introduce themselves like a really friendly company that will help you in case of confusions and will take you to the stars. It's not true- after your training no one really cares about you. There is no career opportunities and salary is VERY low. Management doesnt know as to what is going on in the office. Atmosphere is a bit stressful, they really try to push you down sometimes. I dont look forward to go there everyday

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more interested in your employees opinions.

Disappointing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Bank of Ireland full-time for more than 5 years

Prosnice colleagues, benefits (except for pay) are ok, studies paid for but only if qualification required for role

Consvery political. management do not seek staffs input regularly. poor communication across various levels of management to staff. poor work atmosphere.

Nice place to work

Official (Former Employee)

I worked at Bank of Ireland as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsFriendly colleagues, good conditions, good benefits including canteen with reduced prices, decent social life, lack of nasty competition between staff, management were generally approachable.

ConsWork was not particularly stimulating, lots of older staff who don't contribute much and are paid better with better conditions than younger, harder working colleagues, pay not great by standards of competitors

Advice to Senior ManagementMore promotional opportunities for younger, ambitious staff

Like a public sector dinosaur, acting as Individual business units not a company.

Business Partner (Former Employee)

I worked at Bank of Ireland full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood salary package and benefits, great pension and lots of holidays. Get to work with some really knowledgeable people

ConsUnbelievably slow to make decisions, some can literally take years. More politics than your average parliament.Way too many meetings wasting peoples time, lowers productivity . No trust in employee skill sets. Every consulting organisation in the country has been through the place on a regular basis, "writing strategy papers, advising on change, reviewing decisions. You can't make a decision without some consultant being paid too much for their uniformed opinion on it. No open communication and a culture of shoot the messenger. Executive management have no acccountability for poor decisions made. You'd be sacked in most other companies for the millions of euros of wasted company funds.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick a strategy, tell your staff clearly where the company needs to go. Get rid of all the consultants and trust your staff. Invest more in training them on hard skills. Make decisions faster and hold senior execs acccountable for their decisions.

Fantastic

Security Compliance Officer (Former Employee)

I worked at Bank of Ireland full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFirst if all, the environment is vey conducive and pleasant to work in. The managers, although very strict but very caring. Management try as much as possible to be very flexible with work times in order to put a balance between work and home front. The staff in Bank of Ireland are very friendly and accommodating.

ConsThere isn't any downside really, all you need to know as a staff is just try as much as possible to be hardworking , punctual, give it your all and you will be happy. And maybe in recent times, there has not been career progression.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat I would say really is keep up the good work.

Great Learning Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Bank of Ireland

ProsDid my internship there so teaching was very prevalent. All departments I worked taught me a lot. Moving around was encouraged.

ConsI cannot think of any cons of working at this company. The weather in Ireland is very cold so that is why I decided to leave the country and therefore the company.

It was nice to work with BOI. Not any more.

Test Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bank of Ireland full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFlexible with working hours. There is a good mix of people to interact with. Free tea and coffee facilities. It used to be a very nice place to work.

ConsThey don't look after their staff. The morale is very low. All the good experience is being lost due to outsourcing.

Worked for Bank of Ireland? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bank of Ireland reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Bank of Ireland CEO Richie Boucher. All 31 reviews are posted anonymously by Bank of Ireland employees.