Bank of Ireland

Bank of Ireland Reviews

Updated Jul 07, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Bank of Ireland Group Chief Executive and Director; Chief Executive, Retail Financial Services Ireland (RFSI) Richie Boucher

Richie Boucher

Great Learning Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDid my internship there so teaching was very prevalent. All departments I worked taught me a lot. Moving around was encouraged.

ConsI cannot think of any cons of working at this company. The weather in Ireland is very cold so that is why I decided to leave the country and therefore the company.

Fantastic

Security Compliance Officer (Former Employee) Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

ProsFirst if all, the environment is vey conducive and pleasant to work in. The managers, although very strict but very caring. Management try as much as possible to be very flexible with work times in order to put a balance between work and home front. The staff in Bank of Ireland are very friendly and accommodating.

ConsThere isn't any downside really, all you need to know as a staff is just try as much as possible to be hardworking , punctual, give it your all and you will be happy. And maybe in recent times, there has not been career progression.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat I would say really is keep up the good work.

It was nice to work with BOI. Not any more.

Test Analyst (Current Employee) Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

ProsFlexible with working hours. There is a good mix of people to interact with. Free tea and coffee facilities. It used to be a very nice place to work.

ConsThey don't look after their staff. The morale is very low. All the good experience is being lost due to outsourcing.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Work Culture

Analyst (Former Employee) Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

ProsGreat working environment, superior are approachable and has no airs

ConsCompany seems to be downsizing, as seen in public news

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget to recruit talent at times like this

Get in at the right level and salary

Relationship Manager (Current Employee) Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

ProsVery few.
    A few years ago when the banking system was functioning properly my division (Private Banking) was actually a good place to work. There were social events, bonuses and scope to progress.

ConsNo attempt to boost staff morale, depleting numbers and a general lack of direction for the business. There is a lot of pressure being applied to sales staff which is inceasing every year. It's not the worst place to work in but be sure to negotiate hard for a salary and level you are happy with because you'll be stuck there until you leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn the absence of any big changes happening in the way the bank is run, they should try to do what they can to boost morale, which was being done even up to quite recently. Banks can't be seen to be looking after their staff! That's just the small stuff at the surface. Generally speaking Irish banks are just not a good environment to work in.

Quite a decent experience

Bank Assistant (Former Employee) Galway (Ireland)

ProsFriendly workmates and good customer relations. Reasonable salary and time off. All in all quite a decent company to work for.

ConsThe last few years have been in a very difficult economic climate. A lot of customers are very disgruntled with the reduction in personal service and in some cases are taking it out on frontline staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome of the management seem to be too far removed from the customer base and only think in terms of targets.

Slow paced and unsatisfying work envoirnment

ProsQuality people, good business structure and exceptional exposure and experience. Good work life balance

ConsThere is a high resistant to change, new ideas and innovative people. There is little opportunity to develop your career. Frustrating systems. Too much red tape.

stable conservative traditional old school

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

ProsStaff enjoy great supports due to the company's legacy and union involvement. Training and development are supported and encouraged.

ConsThe culture is resistant to change, resistant to challenge and resistant to new ideas. Once decisions are made they are stuck too rigidly rather then being continually assessed.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe mindful of the consequences of actions.
    The Bank is hundreds of years old, long term planning is required
    Resist the urge to focus solely on quick wins

Pretty Good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSatisfactory Benifits and good workforce

ConsToo much politics in the workplace

long career, not looked after, not worth it in the end, glad to be gone

Relationship Manager (Former Employee) Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

ProsSome good people, well known brand in Ireland, good size so there's scope to get experience in many areas

ConsBad management, little support of professional development, managers now knowing what they want, how they want to get there, but are sure it's their teams fault.

Advice to Senior Managementtrain and support you staff, pay attention to your own goals, mission statement and values

Worked for Bank of Ireland? Contribute to the Community!