Barclays

Barclays Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Barclays Group CEO Antony Jenkins

Antony Jenkins

Pros:
  • "Some good people amidst a sea of people who've checked out; good work life balance"
    in 40 reviews
  • "Work from home (Looks like pros but in reality it is con :)"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "the work environment is not supportive and very stressful, no work life balance"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Senior Management have no concern for the actual people and they think they can do whatever they like"
    in 21 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

lI really love it here !

Analyst (Former Employee)
London, England

I worked at Barclays full-time for less than a year

ProsFantastic team and friendly people

ConsLots of hard work, but worth it

Advice to Senior ManagementWork hard

Pathetic

Collector (Current Employee)
Manchester, England

I have been working at Barclays part-time for less than a year

ProsSome great people.
Good pay initially but limited opportunities for bonus.
Some excellent managers and colleagues, overshadowed by incompetence elsewhere.

ConsDisorganised, disintegrated, disempowered...
Treated as just another payroll number.
Supposedly cost-conscious but hugely wasteful organisation.
Continual communication about 'business change, values' etc with lack of input and ownership by all levels of management.
Top down approach results in demotivated colleagues.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on getting the basics right.

Initially it was excellent but you soon realise you are just a number and their 'values' count for nothing. T

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Barclays full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat people in the Branches and they really want to help customers. They are trying hard under extremely difficult circumstances. They are being replaced by machine's and having to work harder each day. It was a great environment but slowly that is eroding.

ConsSenior Management have no concern for the actual people and they think they can do whatever they like. They consistently want staff to work longer and longer under extreme circumstances. Retail Banking is a dying industry and Branches will be closing even though they have denied it to the media.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to really look at your 'Values' and decide whether you are living by them. To often if you have an option they definitely goes against you. You need to a be a 'yes' person and do as you are told.

Political Jungle a bank which is doing well and will improve its performance as strong long term strategy in place

Vice President (Current Employee)

I have been working at Barclays full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood solid bank, numerous business areas to work in (if you get the chance), people especially at junior levels friendly, most managers are positive (mid level), International reputation,

ConsVirtually impossible to move across business areas e.g. business to wealth etc, salary bands very unclear, face needs to fit to progress, cost saving tends to massively impact low to mid level grades and very rarely touches senior management

Advice to Senior ManagementLive the values rather than hiding behind them

goof place to work

I have been working at Barclays

Proslots of opportunities and constant changes

Consold systems and constant changes

A horrendous place to work, both professionally and personally

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Barclays full-time for more than 3 years

Pros[Depending on your role] you can be reasonably well-paid (caveat: if your management chain wants you to be - see cons)

Cons1. Total absence of senior-level leadership, none.
2. Seemingly no collaboration between senior managers - often blatant hostility. As a result more junior team members have to force cooperation and results from other teams without senior management buy-in and often will be openly blocked.
3. The culture at Barclays is driven by job retention, earnings, and fear of exposure among the senior executives, meaning that cronyism, patronage, and bias is rampant.
4. Ability, impact, and quality of work is irrelevant. All that matters is how your management decides your face fits during the notorious consistency meetings.
5. If your face doesn't fit you can expect to be managed out (by lack of patronage, zero career development support, slashed bonus).
6. Bullying is pandemic and brutal - and can be shockingly open. Instances of whistleblowing being openly discouraged and warned against by senior managers. HR not trusted.
7. Staff dissatisfaction and turnover is massive - everyone in my team, and many others who I worked closely with, were looking for jobs elsewhere all the time. We celebrated those who succeeded.
8. Air of total depression among middle management (B5-B7).
9. Everyone acknowledges the total stagnation which has come about through the impenetrable defensiveness and politics within the business - so many good ideas and beneficial strategic decisions are blocked due to senior politics and personalities, along with constant 'playing with the numbers' to twist reports to meet the desired conclusion, even if factually untrue.

Advice to Senior Management1. Lead. Do some work - actually engage with each other professionally, agree on strategic issues and create conditions where your respective teams can then collaborate and execute, without having to spend months arguing over what each other's managers want.
2. Have a look at the cons and decide firstly whether you think they can be fixed - then whether you want them fixed.

Good place but unchallenging work

Technology Intern (Former Employee)
London, England

I worked at Barclays as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe work place is intense, dynamic and with approachable colleagues. With main offices in Canary Wharf there is a brilliant area for lunch as well as nights out.

Consalthough proclaimed as a company with flat structure it is one of the most corporate bureaucracy overloaded places I have ever seen. Response times from management are slow, review processes are just a copy-paste procedures from the other banks in the industry.

CSE

Client Service Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Barclays full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat place to start your banking career
Lots of employee engagement
work ethics and values mean a lot to the business

ConsHard to progress within servicing
A lot of responsibility, not enough money for what the role involves
Minimal bonus

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow more opportunities for colleagues to progress into new roles

Treated Well

Vice President (Current Employee)
Knutsford, England

I have been working at Barclays full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSalary and location and team I work with

ConsLack of governance and processes

AVP

Assistant Vice President (Current Employee)

I have been working at Barclays full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgreat place to move up if you work hard
Open mangers that tended to be logical

Constough to make changes
many silos - not always working to one goal

Advice to Senior Managementseek to bring some sections together if there is crossover of markets

Worked for Barclays? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Barclays reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Barclays CEO Antony Jenkins. All 427 reviews are posted anonymously by Barclays employees.