Barclays

Barclays Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Barclays Group CEO Antony Jenkins

Antony Jenkins

Pros
  • Some good people amidst a sea of people who've checked out; good work life balance(in 50 reviews)

• Flexible work from home, multiple network of mentors(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Transfers are very rarely given to help staff in work/life balance unless you are management(in 18 reviews)

• There have been increased senior management changes in recent years(in 24 reviews)

one confused organisation

Risk and Control (Current Employee) London, England

Prosgreat people, talented people, beautiful offices and great facilities

Consvolume of org changes, very confusing. over reliance on junior staff

Advice to Senior Managementstop changing structures and get out of bed from IB

Challenging

ProsOpportunity to work on a vast array of projects and equipment, Great workforce

ConsBlame culture, a vast amount of time consuming processes that stop you from working efficiently

Advice to Senior ManagementMore flexibility needed, better training opportunities, less process driven work.

Various roles: Great company to work for. Real chance of progression.

Various (Former Employee) Bexleyheath, England

ProsFantastic company to work for!
    Real progression opportunities and great way to start a career!
    If it hadn't been for me starting at the bank 4 years ago I wouldn't be where I am today (Mortgage consultant)

ConsChallenging but very worthwhile, depending on your role some more training would be useful...
    Target driven environment has been disposed of which is a bit of a shame, now the targets are on the backburner....

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that you started somewhere once and sometimes someone not hitting target isn't their fault.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

supportive energising place to work

Team Manager (Current Employee) Liverpool, England

supportive line managers

Constime deadlines
    pressures
    target driven culture
    burnout for staff on the phones
    planning departments chaotic
    old fashioned processes
    too many reports to decipher
    not enough time to coach staff

Advice to Senior Managementrecognise the daily pressures - update the MI , make it accessible and user friendly and make life easier for team managers

loved it

Call Cedntre Agent (Former Employee) Dartford, England

ProsI loved working for Barclays call centre,i worked for over 2 yars and it was friendly and being part of a big team as great

Consjust making sure we did our jobs to the best of our ability

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no advice apart from bringing back the call centres to England, people want to talk to people in england

Good Employer

Vice President (Current Employee) London, England

ProsGood experienced staff, reasonable focus on L&D and excellent share incentive scheme for the employees.

ConsA bit old school, people in same roles for a number of years - lacks innovations.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more brave and less bureaucratic - There are more directors and MD's than required. Can easily do with loosing at least 20% of the work force in the back ops.

Although I had a rocky start, overall a good company to work for with good values and ethics

Cashier (Former Employee) Harlow, England

ProsThe possibility of career progression, good training systems and good benefits. Majority of people I worked with were friendly, helpful and supportive.

ConsFrequent branch moves, no progression for me although I passed a personal banker assessment. Uncertainty of job security due to job cuts moving into self service branches etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't allow assessments to happen if they're aren't specific job roles to move into, or lengthen the timescale to find a specific job after passing an assessment.

Respect the person and not the job role

Analyst, Information Technology (Current Employee) Knutsford, England

ProsWorking with a global workforce
    Potential for training
    Potential for progression
    Lots to learn

ConsToo much politics
    Issues (widespread) take too long to get resolved due to the amount of teams normally needed to be involved.
    Unable to accommodate flexible working
    Inconsistent following of policies
    Get fobbed off when you actually have an issue
    Inability to commit to long term plans.
    Very over managed within the role
    Push back on following processes correctly.
    Too much to learn about - makes it difficult to easily share knowledge in team and external to team

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that a colleague doesn't need to be subjected to

Absolutely terrible

Customer Advisor (Former Employee) Middlesbrough, England

ProsIt's nice to say you work for a top bank

ConsThey almost seem to target Managers for sacking people. Terrible environment. Charge people for a cup of tea. No flexibility regarding sickness - 3 strikes and you're out. Use of poor recruitment agencies, so people coming onboard were useless.... where should I end this list - I could keep going for hours?

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of Firstsource - your customers are your income stream, and they are mismanaging their accounts. Your Managers leave confidential documents lying around the building. Your employees live under constant threat of redundancy.

Awful, do not come here

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) London, England

ProsMoney is good, Canary Wharf is pleasant, there are some good individuals

ConsThe worst kind of investment bankers, especially in IT... Team work is unheard of

Advice to Senior ManagementShut down... The place is toxic

Worked for Barclays? Contribute to the Community!