Barclays

Barclays Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Barclays Group CEO Antony Jenkins

Antony Jenkins

Pros
  • Some good people amidst a sea of people who've checked out; good work life balance(in 50 reviews)

• Flexible work from home, multiple network of mentors(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Transfers are very rarely given to help staff in work/life balance unless you are management(in 18 reviews)

• There have been increased senior management changes in recent years(in 24 reviews)

Frustrating

Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsGreat colleagues to work with

ConsLack of career path, delay in decision making, low morale

Advice to Senior ManagementReward employees for their work and say thank you every once in a while

Review

Vice President (Current Employee)

ProsGood with staff. Professional environment

ConsDifficult supply chain. Excessive governance

Co-operative and motivating to progress

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEasy to manage Work life balance

ConsVery Political Environment, limited career progression

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dissapointed

Corporate Credit Manager (Former Employee) London, England

ProsI worked with a fantastic team, in a nice office. As we were far enough away from 1CP (global HQ) we had the freedom to enjoy a good work/life balance, and were monitored on the quality of our work rather than the amount of face time we put in (which is what colleagues at bigger offices tell me is the main thing they're judged on)

ConsLack of opportunities for progression.
    Inept management and leadership by MOST on all levels of the organisation.
    Uncompetitive compensation cf. elsewhere in the industry - no rewards for loyalty (several of my colleagues left the bank, then returned in the same job for much higher wages as an external candidate).
    Complete global ban on travel hinders business.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart treating your staff with more Respect - RISES needs to be top down.
    Make compensation compared to income derived for the bank more consistent across the business units. The Investment bank gets far too much compared to colleagues elsewhere.
    Don't be so tied to the vertical silos that exist in the organisation - I think it's ridiculous that HR denied a job transfer I was offered to a different department.
    If you're going to bring in blanket measures like the travel ban, make sure there is infrastructure in place (VC etc.) to allow colleagues to continue to do their jobs.
    End the unending, unflinching assault on cost - Barclays used to be about offering a good service at a reasonable price, now you just seem to be chasing for the lowest cost, and then offering terrible service levels.

Barclay's The Grave Yard of Ambition

Personal Banker (Current Employee) Birmingham, England

ProsOverall a solid company which is built on long term stability

ConsBarclay's idea of training is sticking something on a computer screen, they do not sign up to any form of extra qualifications for you to take. They do not give you any time or structured training other then your job title. Finally progression is based on "sound bites" its not how good you are.. its if you say the right things. The Pay structure needs to go up by 5k per grade.

Advice to Senior ManagementSort out training, get involved with outside companies to offer your staff skills they can use both in and outside Barclay's. Stretch your staff, many of them are becoming brain dead because you do not push them

Barclays whats going on

ProsFree wi fi excellent team feel satisfied you have earned your pay.

Conspromotion within the team SUCKS. The management team are unfeeling robots. pay not that great environment to P C. very stressful

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to improve chain of command. A fare promotion structure within the team. After 4 years am seriously considering leaving Barclays.

A difficult place to work right now

Personal Banker (Former Employee) London, England

ProsGood added benefits on top of your salary , reduced child care , gym membership , insurances etc that can be taken out of pre tax pay .
    Fantastic team of people to work with.
    Real innovation in moving the business forward so it is sustainable in the future.

ConsThe customers that come into the branch do not want the changes that are being implemented and are rude and abusive to the staff on a daily basis.
    Long working hours .
    Staff leaving and not being replaced, the rest of the team having to pick up their work load .

Advice to Senior ManagementRealise that the people in the branches are working 8 or 9 hour days with no or little breaks and not being able to claim overtime due to this breaking 'values' .

Politics and reorgs

Director (Current Employee) London, England

ProsBring your own device to use on the wifi

ConsThe most political place I've ever worked! Very old fashioned development methods and poor technologists.

Meritocracy nothing but a buzzword

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England

ProsYou work together with very talented people.

At least during my time a good name to have on your resume.

ConsThe company is extremely political. The one thing you need to know is you will only get promoted if you have a good relationship to your management. Performance of course is part of that, but unfortunately by far not the most important one. Far from the meritocracy they promote when hiring you.

Pay. Gets smaller by the year. And an increasing workload as they keep cutting people.

Culture and morale. The culture is far from cooperative. You have to be lucky to get into a good team. My management didn't care one bit about what I was doing. Morale is extremely low since from the very beginning that I've been there they like to have job cutting rounds twice a year. You just wait to see if you're part of the next one.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company needs a serious change in culture. I truly hope the big cuts announced now will be the last ones as I fail to see why anyone would want to work in such an environment for any longer time.

declining

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England

Prosone of the biggest banks in the uk.

Constoo many changes recently. management seem to be confused about stakeholder management. employees are at the losing end of the bargain

Worked for Barclays? Contribute to the Community!