Barclays

Barclays Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Barclays Group CEO Antony Jenkins

Antony Jenkins

Pros:
  • "Some good people amidst a sea of people who've checked out; good work life balance"
    in 40 reviews
  • "Work from home (Looks like pros but in reality it is con :)"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "the work environment is not supportive and very stressful, no work life balance"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Senior Management have no concern for the actual people and they think they can do whatever they like"
    in 21 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Laid back culture, very bureaucratic, low bonus, low risk

Assistant Vice President (Former Employee)

I worked at Barclays full-time for more than a year

ProsThe company is full of smart people
The starting salaries are among the highest in the industry
Very safe risk profile and balance sheet

ConsLow bonus and salary increment
Very bureaucratic, slow organization

Advice to Senior ManagementIncentivise young, smart talent proportionately to avoid losing them

Placement Year in Barclays

Operations Analyst (Former Employee)
London, England

I worked at Barclays as an intern for more than a year

ProsGood training program, good access to senior members of the organisation and a good level of exposure to different aspects of the Bank. Decent hours, on average 8-6pm. Good scope for movement across different teams and for moving up the ladder.

ConsSome of the 'Good exposure' is for the want of a different word donkey work others don't wish to do and for someone with a degree would feel overqualified.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement overall quite good, monthly 1 to 1 meetings which allowed feedback and other points to be made. Monthly team meetings well organised, able to discuss work loads, pressing matters and Instructions were clearly given out. One negative point to the 1 on 1 meetings at times did come across too serious and if taken at a more casual chat would be far more beneficial.

Secure job, but not very interesting

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Barclays full-time for more than a year

ProsMost people I worked with were talented and easy to get along with (those straight out of public accounting firms once qualified). Once you are employed there, it's quite secure (at least at head office location). Compared to public accounting, the hours are tolerable and there was NO weekend working at all within our planning department, so good for work / life balance.

ConsTo progress within the bank, it is VERY political and there is generally a lot of bureaucracy. I did not receive encouragement from my line manager regarding future opportunities within the team - basically, unless he leaves, there is nowhere for me to progress, which is a drawback of having a small team and a limited budget for promotions / headcount.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore opportunities to move within the bank. Offer inter-personal training to newly-promoted line managers to function effectively.

Great people but too much middle management and a lack of internal promotions.

Infrastructure Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Barclays full-time for more than 5 years

Pros- Cultural awareness
- Staff benefits and depending on which site some great sports facilities.
- Training although that's obviously budget dependent.
- Always first in a number of things

Cons- Management have little foresight/tunnel vision.
- Very little promotion opportunities. Most change roles to gain what they believe to be the right level of grade/pay. Also the move to another internal role isn't easy either. There needs to be a internal program to give people more transferable skill to move around!
- Pay structure isn't great (useless your oncall) and the ranges needs to change.

Advice to Senior Management- Recognise talent sooner to maintain good progress and where possible promote people.
- Provide a clear vision/road map.
- Listen not assume!

Blocked from progress because of race

Client Services (Current Employee)

I have been working at Barclays full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood on your CV
Work life balance is fine in my area

ConsCurrently short-staffed. For the past month 2 of us doing what 5 people normally did. There have been instances where I have been the only person on the desk.
There is still a glass ceiling for blacks. People get blocked multiple times from promotions..not even allowed to interview, or have to watch less talented relatives of long-serving staff members move up above them.
Pay is very low in my area of corporate banking compared to the market...cases where people on graduate programme getting almost double what people with 20 yrs experience who train them get.
Bullying culture is allowed to thrive by a network of lifers determined to slow the progress of those around them in line with their whims and fancies. They have contacts everywhere (HR are not confidential) so you either have to make your mind up to go to tribunal or straight to the top, threatening publicity. I have seen at least a dozen people bullied out of the business in my time here.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are really serious about changing the culture tackle the bullying and targetting still prevalent in the corporate bank.

Temporary Customer Relations Manager Position at Barclays

Customer Relations Manager (Current Employee)
Leeds, England

I have been working at Barclays as a contractor for less than a year

ProsGreat work environment and enthusiastic team

ConsNot quite challenging, and less emphasis on my interests

Advice to Senior ManagementAdd more incentives to employee

Change Leader

I have been working at Barclays

ProsIve found it to be Diverse, dynamic, empowering,

ConsI have to say not many!

Summer Intern - Client Coverage (Corporate Bank)

Client Coverage Intern (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at Barclays as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat culture: Everyone is very willing to help and network with you. The projects I have been asked to do are both interesting and, I believe, of relative value to the firm. You aren't just asked to menial work, the opportunity to learn certainly exists. Though I will caveat that by saying the internship is what you make of it. If you are willing to ask for more challenging work, it will come.

The work-life balance is very good. If you are interested in getting into banking but at the same time are concerned about early starts and late nights, the corporate side may be for you. Its much more of a "stay if you need to" type atmosphere; you'll be expected to do the work to a high quality, but provided that you are doing so, you have relative autonomy over the hours that you need to spend in the office. Though as an intern it would be advisable not to get in at nine and leave at five every day.

The full time staff are also of a very high quality, and its possible to learn a lot from them

In my experience the culture change at Barclays is not just lip service. The staff here take it very seriously and are committed to changing the perception of Barclays, but also are actively motivated to undertake charitable commitments.

ConsThe salary is not great (internship and grad scheme); it seems to pay below market rates.

From what I understand the four areas of Barclays are still very sectioned. It doesn't seem like there is a lot of opportunity to move to other areas of the bank (investment/wealth/retail). Definitely not on the graduate scheme, though it seems rare in wider employment also.

Analytics leadership was all about "the popular kids" who already knew eachother

Senior Analyst (Former Employee)
Northampton, England

I worked at Barclays full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBarclaycard was a company looking to improve and change all the time by introducing technology such as Contactless payments and customer benefit programs such as Freedom. It meant there was regularly something new to work on.

ConsThe leadership in analytics was very much about a group of people who had worked together in another company before and who continued to just favor eachother and not really introduce much new people to the leadership. Promised promotions and salary increased were rarely fulfilled and performance reviews were very un-transparent and vague.

Advice to Senior ManagementIntroduce more varied people in the management team to get new ideas instead of a continued narrow focus from management who are more interested in powerpoint templates, than getting the job done.

Summer Business Analyst

Summer Analyst (Former Employee)
London, England

I worked at Barclays as an intern for less than a year

ProsGood training opportunities, very supportive.

ConsProjects were not as challenging.

Worked for Barclays? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Barclays reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Barclays CEO Antony Jenkins. All 429 reviews are posted anonymously by Barclays employees.