Barclays

Barclays Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Barclays Group CEO Antony Jenkins

Antony Jenkins

Pros
  • Some good people amidst a sea of people who've checked out; good work life balance(in 50 reviews)

• Flexible work from home, multiple network of mentors(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Transfers are very rarely given to help staff in work/life balance unless you are management(in 18 reviews)

• There have been increased senior management changes in recent years(in 24 reviews)

My Barclays experience

Internal Communications Stakeholder Manager (Former Employee) London, England

Prosoffice location in Canary Wharf was excellent

ConsShort deadlines and conflicting objectives

High steet bank run by school drop-out with poor people skills and major superiority complex

Cashier (Former Employee) Bromley, England

Pros- Great reputation
    - Good hours

Cons- Management is picked from the dregs of a bad barrel. Both banker manager and deputy were verbally abusive to staff
    - Poor salary but anyone can get the job so it's kind of understandable that they pay you peanuts
    - Excessive sales targets with very little reward
    - The need of the customers is not a priority. We were forced to sell any product we could onto the customer, whether it helped them on not.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave Bank Managers undergo courses in team management. Don't make high sales targets a necessity for Cashiers.

Great place to work for

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsTalented people, great internal opportunity

ConsLong hours, a lot of management changes

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent about the changes happening.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Summer Internship - Corporate Operations

Operations Analyst (Current Employee) London, England

ProsPossibilities to meet with any MD in the whole bank.

ConsNot enough tasks for all interns, many were bored, I was lucky.
    Corporate did not get the relocation bonus as the investment bank operations did, even if we were in the same group much of the time. Strange concept.

Great place to work

Vice President (Current Employee)

ProsClarity and focus. Good career growth with internal movement options

ConsOrganisational challenges, much like any large corporate.

Forced to sell insurance and current accounts with fee paying packs

Personal Banker (Current Employee) London, England

ProsLove to genuinely help general public meet their needs and requirements to make there life easy. Working and waiting for a gap to leave the branch or maybe even the company. Local job.

ConsRogue managers who want us to sell and reach targets (which are not supposed to exist under the Financial Conduct Authority) as prior to them being enforced. We ARE penalised on our PD and 1 to 1 interviews if we do not achieve our previous records. We can not use words like "Sale" or "Advice". We are encouraged to talk about the icaps on gateway even though customer does not start the conversation. we are also measured on these petty things. Anything to make life difficult so that we resign. Transfers are very rarely given to help staff in work/life balance unless you are management. They want you to leave so that Barclays don't have to give you redundancy in the near future. They have already tightened on paying of over time. DAILY we have to give them more than 40 minutes in overtime we can not claim - 20 minutes in the morning to attend daily meeting and can only claim overtime in the afternoon AFTER the first 20 minutes have been done free of charge. Too much pressure to "SELL". "SELL" and "SELL" even when this obviously does NOT meet the customers needs or requirement. Too much immoral money coming in. Now new overdraft charges have for the needy have actually increased. We have to lie to the most obviously losing out person that it's better for them. People are already leaving Barclays or now not using us as their main bank. Managers also too secret - don't trust us PB or other staff. Career opportunities and moves are NOT that easy really. The bad/trouble making staff tend to be able to move and even get promotions.

Advice to Senior ManagementAbide by the FCA guideline and ease off on the pressure to "SELL". Get the public (and staff) confidence back.
    We all know Barclays needs the money - but so do their staff. We are humans and have a need for work/life balance. We are not third world call centre workers. Our outgoings are higher. Be brave, handle your staff fairly and equally. Don't pick on soft target only to set them as an example - that's a form of bullying. People don't speak out against you because you gang up and make life more difficult for us.

Work hard, play reasonably hard

Vice President (Current Employee) London, England

ProsWork life balance _is_ taken seriously. There are opportunities for travel, secondments etc, both within the UK and internationally. Very broad mix of cultures in the office. Professional and dedicated colleagues for the most part.

ConsCareer trajectory still defined to a large extent by what your boss says about you at PD and moderation sessions - which he may not tell you about. Culture of secrecy still pervades the whole remuneration/bonus area. My dept can be totally focussed on MI and internal metrics, and not see the bigger picture.

Great potential, limited performance

ProsExcellent at training, development and improving management skills.
    Less bureaucratic than an outsider would imagine.
    Great products and innovative approach to markets.

ConsSignificant focus on appearance (appear busy, appear important, appear powerful) instead of focusing on outcome and on client/customer.
    Extremely political environment (especially at the top) with lots of energy expended on politics instead of progress.
    Too many changes - Antony's senior leadership keeps changing every few months.

Tough and political environment makes working there a challenge

Change Manager (Former Employee) London, England

ProsWorking there, in a tough and highly political environment with a lot of pressure to deliver definitely makes you stronger and more assertive. It's kind of a survival lesson...

ConsThe pressure to deliver on tight deadlines forces you to sometimes dramatically cut corners, bringing this feeling of never being able to go beyond the skin of the matter...

Advice to Senior ManagementThe relentless focus on cost ingrained in the company DNA should be directed to total cost of ownership, service or product, be more holistic, to truly become a competitive advantage. Too often, I have seen decisions being taken on the basis of immediate cost comparison rather than on an understanding of the impact of the move on the total cost involved in reaching the considered objective.

Pretty Average for the kind of big company it is and the good reputation it used to have

ProsSome really great colleagues

ConsIf you work in a department and are looking for management support to progress your career in something different you won't get that support

A lot of senior managers Directors and MD level are afraid of challenging their bosses such as CEO when they set ambiguous targets.

They sing a lot about the values I see it as another tick in the box for our leaders who are not living and breathing the values themselves.

Staff Moral is currently very poor in Barclays and the bonus each year is a joke! It's going from bad to worse. If you get a really good appraisal the salary increase you get doesn't add up no where near your good rating. Other Banks such as HSBC even TSB is not doing badly.

I wonder if manage to and HR have ever wondered why they are losing a lot of staff to HSBC.

Advice to Senior ManagementLive the Barclays values you put out there after all you introduced them. Change must come properly but only from top down!

Worked for Barclays? Contribute to the Community!