Barclays

Updated 15 December 2014
3.1

Barclays Group CEO Antony Jenkins
Antony Jenkins

Pros
  • Some good people amidst a sea of people who've checked out; good work life balance (in 60 reviews)

• Work environment is average, it's comparable to other large banks (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • We had to do overtime everyday so work/life balance was no so good (in 20 reviews)

• There have been increased senior management changes in recent years (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Great career opportunities

Current Employee - Vice President Structured Trade & Commodity Finance in London, England

I have been working at Barclays full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Bank that is changing it´s core values to adapt to the current regulation and improve it´s market perception.

Cons

The bank is cutting jobs in some areas related to Investment Bak ad Personal Banking.

Barclays Woolwich Branch Work/Life ratio and working environment.

Current Employee - Moment Banker in Ashford, Kent, South East England, England
    Current Employee - Moment Banker in Ashford, Kent, South East England, England

I have been working at Barclays

Pros

Only reason I chose to work for with them was as it was easy to get job with them and the transport commuting is easy as it is near a station and bus. Also parkiing permit given.

Cons

Managements spying on staff to the extent that they will come into the TOILET to tell you to hurry up as the customer queue is getting big!!! Even when ones just gone in, is this not bullying in the work place?. Management has a habit of picking on selected certain staff also. When it comes to emergency childcare management tells staff "get your finances in order so that you can afford a proper child career or get a bigger mortgage from Barclays to help you. Others get away with more than simple wrong doings and attitudes. When a complaint is made about this the management hide their favourites by making statements similar to "each person is dealt with on individual circumstances", "confidentiality" or "they will be spoken to". They still continue to do the wrongs. Management get transfers as "They find it too busy a branch from my old one....I can't take this." Other staff can't get transfers as "there's too much going on" as being the answer. Well if they find things "too much going on" then they are not worthy of being managers. Managers stick up for each other even when they are wrong. When challenged to many things the reply is "It's down to managers discretion", this even applies to getting time off for child sickness and doctors appointments etc.. Even cash differance are taken likely when made by certain staff and management come down hard on others who don't even make often or great value errors- favouritism. This is then paraded between themselves as an example setter...just to get marks and say "I have done my jobs" but they have done more wrong by NOT doing their job where it counts, both to company and colleagues. Customers are persuaded to take insurance and package account even when it is obviously not suitable for them. Management encourage this for the income for the branch.
    No work life understanding by management, they just want to look at company. There attitude an behaviour is having a negative effect on staff and moral and also work productivity.

Open your eyes and be fair to all.

Low Morale, Very below average meritocracy

I have been working at Barclays

Pros

Great work life balance and easy environment.

Cons

Unintelligent people, many without university degrees. No interest in financial markets, no ambition to grow. Lots of politics.

Work on talent retention, upskill graduates instead of rusting them and their careers. Get rid of 10-3pm, lazy, unintelligent, unamibitious, unenthusiastic oldies....please.....they are probably the biggest drag on your equity. take employee opinion seriously!

Friendly atmosphere, dedicated people and caring superiors; I enjoyed working for Barclays Internal Audit.

Former Employee - Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Manager in London, England

I worked at Barclays full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People are awesome here. Loved working for them; the only reason I left was to move abroad. Great exposure to the whole bank and get a great overview of how the whole industry works. Management communicates well and creates and encourages opportunities.

Cons

In-house training is often preferred over external training even when the external training gives you something tangible to take away.

Take into account external training benefits more to bring more into the organisation

Nothing's changed at Barclays - one thing for sure, people come and go (fast)

I have been working at Barclays

Pros

If you get an interesting project

Cons

Too much politics at senior management level, lots of uncertainty and indecisiveness.

Listen to the staff

not good place for structure

I have been working at Barclays

Pros

nice brand
    nice work life
    not bad

Cons

no structure
    not proactive
    not cool ok

More interested in sales than customers

Former Employee - Relationship Support Manager
    Former Employee - Relationship Support Manager

I worked at Barclays full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Training is freely available to anyone that wants it
    There was a focus for a while on upskilling the staff
    Working from home in some positions
    Some benefits

Cons

Obsession with sales over customer services
    Bonus is terrible - always full of promises but it's rarely worth having.
    Management is incompetent in most offices. There doesn't seems to be any need for management skill before you're promoted.
    Office politics is rife. Prepare for back stabbing and constant complaining
    Internal promotion process is overly complicated

Ditch unreasonable sales targets
    Focus on customer service
    Ensure that managers are actually capable before promoting them
    Try to make internal recruitment appealing

Good company

I have been working at Barclays

Pros

Flexibility good pay diversity bonus

Cons

Culture, hierarchy, lack of progression opportunities

Its an empire building, playing the game culture, don't expect anything different.

Low pay but great people to work with

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England

I worked at Barclays full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great team to work with, everyone was friendly and a relaxed atmosphere. There was scope to progress

Cons

We had to do overtime everyday so work/life balance was no so good. Low pay, no good benefits. Team leader has no leadership skills.

Great place to work and progress your career.

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President - Internal Audit in London, England
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President - Internal Audit in London, England

I have been working at Barclays full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The culture within the organization is excellent and I could honestly say that my current team is one of the best teams I have worked so far. I can always trust my colleagues and I case I have question they are always there to guide me to the answer I need.

Senior management are transparent and approachable when needed. Lots of communication about what is going on within the group and etc is distributed internally.

Moreover, we really live with the Barclays values and as organization we do lots of charity.

There is opportunity for career progress vertically (within the structure) and horizontally (within other structures) and middle and senior management are supporting it. Training is also provided, although that the process is quite slow and takes few months to arrange everything.

Cons

The salary and non cash benefits are below the average for the industry, however I believe that when you consider all the Pros this could be discarded.

Keep the good working, although that I joined Barclays 8 months ago, I can see improvement. Please keep doing it and work for better Barclays.

What you could consider is perhaps a review of the non cash benefits (including the bank products for employees) and employee discounts offers I believe they can be improved.

Barclays Photos