Barclays Reviews

Updated 27 August 2014
Updated 27 August 2014

Barclays Group CEO Antony Jenkins
Antony Jenkins

Pros
  • Some good people amidst a sea of people who've checked out; good work life balance (in 50 reviews)

• Flexible work from home, multiple network of mentors (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Transfers are very rarely given to help staff in work/life balance unless you are management (in 18 reviews)

• There have been increased senior management changes in recent years (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Employer

Current Employee - Vice President  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Vice President in London, England

I have been working at Barclays full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good experienced staff, reasonable focus on L&D and excellent share incentive scheme for the employees.

Cons

A bit old school, people in same roles for a number of years - lacks innovations.

Be more brave and less bureaucratic - There are more directors and MD's than required. Can easily do with loosing at least 20% of the work force in the back ops.

Although I had a rocky start, overall a good company to work for with good values and ethics

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Harlow, England
    Former Employee - Cashier in Harlow, England

I worked at Barclays full-time for more than a year

Pros

The possibility of career progression, good training systems and good benefits. Majority of people I worked with were friendly, helpful and supportive.

Cons

Frequent branch moves, no progression for me although I passed a personal banker assessment. Uncertainty of job security due to job cuts moving into self service branches etc.

Don't allow assessments to happen if they're aren't specific job roles to move into, or lengthen the timescale to find a specific job after passing an assessment.

Like banging your head against a brick wall of bureaucracy on a daily basis

Former Employee - IT Project Manager  in  London, England
    Former Employee - IT Project Manager in London, England

I worked at Barclays full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good renumeration, benefits, great holiday & pension. Supportive management. Nice offices.

Cons

Very difficult to turn ideas into actions, was always a struggle to get things to happen.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

excellent

I have been working at Barclays full-time

Pros

Good sick leave, handsome salary

Cons

good benefits, incentives, staff discounts

Respect the person and not the job role

Current Employee - Analyst, Information Technology  in  Knutsford, England
    Current Employee - Analyst, Information Technology in Knutsford, England

I have been working at Barclays full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with a global workforce
    Potential for training
    Potential for progression
    Lots to learn

Cons

Too much politics
    Issues (widespread) take too long to get resolved due to the amount of teams normally needed to be involved.
    Unable to accommodate flexible working
    Inconsistent following of policies
    Get fobbed off when you actually have an issue
    Inability to commit to long term plans.
    Very over managed within the role
    Push back on following processes correctly.
    Too much to learn about - makes it difficult to easily share knowledge in team and external to team

Remember that a colleague doesn't need to be subjected to

Absolutely terrible

Former Employee - Customer Advisor  in  Middlesbrough, England
    Former Employee - Customer Advisor in Middlesbrough, England

I worked at Barclays full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

It's nice to say you work for a top bank

Cons

They almost seem to target Managers for sacking people. Terrible environment. Charge people for a cup of tea. No flexibility regarding sickness - 3 strikes and you're out. Use of poor recruitment agencies, so people coming onboard were useless.... where should I end this list - I could keep going for hours?

Get rid of Firstsource - your customers are your income stream, and they are mismanaging their accounts. Your Managers leave confidential documents lying around the building. Your employees live under constant threat of redundancy.

Awful, do not come here

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in London, England

I have been working at Barclays full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Money is good, Canary Wharf is pleasant, there are some good individuals

Cons

The worst kind of investment bankers, especially in IT... Team work is unheard of

Shut down... The place is toxic

The worst experience I have ever had in my life

Former Employee - Personal Banker  in  Liverpool, England
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in Liverpool, England

I worked at Barclays full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The paid me on time and sometimes early if it was a weekend but the staff incentives for having accounts had been lowered over the years.

Cons

Bullying managers at branch level.I almost had a breakdown due to the pressure put on me.Targets and profits is all they are interested in.Even when it was raised as high as I could go nothing changed.I met some great people who had suffered at the hand of this this "go to bank."variation management" is another word for measuring your sales targets. The new moral high ground which was supposed to change the whole bank has not changed a thing.My friends who still work there are the people I feel really bad for.

Call sales targets what they are, consider rooting out the bad sales type mangers who have little or no management skills other then threatening to put you on an improvement plan if you don't sell more, Treat your staff better and the staff would be more productive.There is an underlying culture of fear and the behinds the scenes back patting is evident to everybody who works there.You tend to hire people based on who you like and the politics involved.The new moral code you have will be useless if you don't root out the large percentage of the management who seek to protect themselves.

A truly awful culture; political, blame, "jobs for the boys/girls" - avoid at all costs

Former Employee - Director, Operations  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Director, Operations in London, England

I worked at Barclays full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Money - they have to pay high end to get anyone to work there
    Benefits - the pension, insurance and stock options are pretty good
    mmmm that's it

Cons

Senior Management know they are fighting a losing cause so surround themselves with "yes" people and pull up the drawbridge.
    Presentee-ism culture - and backward looking - they block the use of Social media in this day and age!!!
    Execution driven and cant stick to a plan, strategy...analysis and forward thinking are non existent
    Huge distrust between Management and middle ranks
    There own self defined definition of "Talent" is "The top 200" or "SLG" - nothing else matters and forget the notion of talent rising through the ranks - they just buy in at the top. Even supported by what is well known to be the worst HR Management in FTSE.
    CEO is slowly smothering the cash cow Investment Bank rather that re-structure the company properly.
    The "culture change" programme has been a flop - C suite think by "sheep dipping" 100,000 employees through a 2 hour culture session it will change the company's culture!!!
    Have a look at the Salz Review and see how Barclays has missed nearly every target set for sustainable change

Create a vision that isn't just about appeasing regulators and stick to it!
    Value and understand your people - you just don't and the current HR are incapable of this.
    Change your HRLT; they are a laughing stock in the City and climbing over each other to curry favour with C suite rather than attract, retain, develop and reward Talent.

Contracting and culture not changing

Former Employee - Director  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Director in London, England

I worked at Barclays full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Scale and opportunity to do different things

Cons

Actions do not match words when talk of values and changing culture. Workforce treated as resources in a short termist way rather than long term partners in achieving the corporate goals.

Think beyond this budget in your planning and how you treat staff.

Worked for Barclays? Contribute to the Community!