Barclays Reviews

712 reviews filtered by

Rubbish

Current Employee - Customer Services Officer in London, England
    Current Employee - Customer Services Officer in London, England

I have been working at Barclays full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

No Pros at all as everything is Cons

Cons

Everything is Cons and no pros at all

Advice to Management

Look out for some other jobs as Barclays' ship is sinking.

2. Good training

Former Intern - Summer Analyst in London, England
    Former Intern - Summer Analyst in London, England

I worked at Barclays as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Strong values, above standard training, friendly co-workers

Cons

canteen can sometimes be expensive

Advice to Management

Assimilate interns to teams aligned with their skills and interests and not just to available teams

HR Chaos

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in London, England

I worked at Barclays full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay and Bens competitive when compared to other Retail Banks. Good restaurant facilities. Flexible working and good lifestyle balance.

Cons

Poor senior HR management, more focussed on their own careers and bonuses than changing HR in a positive way. HR changes that are implemented are badly conceived, reactionary and rarely effective.

5. AVP - Middleware Specialist

Current Employee - Middleware Specialist in Knutsford, England
    Current Employee - Middleware Specialist in Knutsford, England

I have been working at Barclays full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A competitive pay and very good benefits. I often get positive feedback from colleagues and customers, they acknowledge your skills and experience. Internal jobs available in case you get bored in your current role. I want to highlight the benefits, these are really good, lots of great benefits, support and employee discount.

Cons

There is a PD-game every year; just recently noticed management does not really care about what you achieve if they already decided your grade. This is not a great motivation. Same applies for carrier development. If you are looking for a relaxing job, you can get into a very stressing one where always there is a pressure on you to deliver service without any mistake. Making processes even more complicated and our (technical staff) life more difficult in the BAU work.

Advice to Management

In Cons

Nothing's changed at Barclays - one thing for sure, people come and go (fast)

I have been working at Barclays

Pros

If you get an interesting project

Cons

Too much politics at senior management level, lots of uncertainty and indecisiveness.

Advice to Management

Listen to the staff

7. Consultant

Former Contractor - Consultant in London, England
    Former Contractor - Consultant in London, England

I worked at Barclays as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Excellent work environment. Both challenging and rewarding. Best of breed with technology and talent.

Cons

Somewhat uppidy up and the IT often must interrelate with at least 3-4 different time zones. It can be combersome to coordinate Chicago - London - Singapore meetings.

Low Morale, Very below average meritocracy

I have been working at Barclays

Pros

Great work life balance and easy environment.

Cons

Unintelligent people, many without university degrees. No interest in financial markets, no ambition to grow. Lots of politics.

Advice to Management

Work on talent retention, upskill graduates instead of rusting them and their careers. Get rid of 10-3pm, lazy, unintelligent, unamibitious, unenthusiastic oldies....please.....they are probably the biggest drag on your equity. take employee opinion seriously!

Barclays Woolwich Branch Work/Life ratio and working environment.

Current Employee - Moment Banker in Ashford, Kent, South East England, England
    Current Employee - Moment Banker in Ashford, Kent, South East England, England

I have been working at Barclays

Pros

Only reason I chose to work for with them was as it was easy to get job with them and the transport commuting is easy as it is near a station and bus. Also parkiing permit given.

Cons

Managements spying on staff to the extent that they will come into the TOILET to tell you to hurry up as the customer queue is getting big!!! Even when ones just gone in, is this not bullying in the work place?. Management has a habit of picking on selected certain staff also. When it comes to emergency childcare management tells staff "get your finances in order so that you can afford a proper child career or get a bigger mortgage from Barclays to help you. Others get away with more than simple wrong doings and attitudes. When a complaint is made about this the management hide their favourites by making statements similar to "each person is dealt with on individual circumstances", "confidentiality" or "they will be spoken to". They still continue to do the wrongs. Management get transfers as "They find it too busy a branch from my old one....I can't take this." Other staff can't get transfers as "there's too much going on" as being the answer. Well if they find things "too much going on" then they are not worthy of being managers. Managers stick up for each other even when they are wrong. When challenged to many things the reply is "It's down to managers discretion", this even applies to getting time off for child sickness and doctors appointments etc.. Even cash differance are taken likely when made by certain staff and management come down hard on others who don't even make often or great value errors- favouritism. This is then paraded between themselves as an example setter...just to get marks and say "I have done my jobs" but they have done more wrong by NOT doing their job where it counts, both to company and colleagues. Customers are persuaded to take insurance and package account even when it is obviously not suitable for them. Management encourage this for the income for the branch.
    No work life understanding by management, they just want to look at company. There attitude an behaviour is having a negative effect on staff and moral and also work productivity.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes and be fair to all.

10. not good place for structure

I have been working at Barclays

Pros

nice brand
    nice work life
    not bad

Cons

no structure
    not proactive
    not cool ok

11. Great career opportunities

Current Employee - Vice President Structured Trade & Commodity Finance in London, England

I have been working at Barclays full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Bank that is changing it´s core values to adapt to the current regulation and improve it´s market perception.

Cons

The bank is cutting jobs in some areas related to Investment Bak ad Personal Banking.

Barclays Photos