Barclays Reviews

Updated 17 September 2014
Updated 17 September 2014

Barclays Group CEO Antony Jenkins
Antony Jenkins

Pros
  • Some good people amidst a sea of people who've checked out; good work life balance (in 50 reviews)

• Flexible work from home, multiple network of mentors (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Transfers are very rarely given to help staff in work/life balance unless you are management (in 18 reviews)

• There have been increased senior management changes in recent years (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

Like banging your head against a brick wall of bureaucracy on a daily basis

Former Employee - IT Project Manager  in  London, England
    Former Employee - IT Project Manager in London, England

I worked at Barclays full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good renumeration, benefits, great holiday & pension. Supportive management. Nice offices.

Cons

Very difficult to turn ideas into actions, was always a struggle to get things to happen.

excellent

I have been working at Barclays full-time

Pros

Good sick leave, handsome salary

Cons

good benefits, incentives, staff discounts

Corporate Relationship Manager

I have been working at Barclays full-time

Pros

Great support and work environment
    Great corporate mentality and ethics

Cons

Limited progression opportunities
    can be overlooked in favour of graduate newcomers

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The worst experience I have ever had in my life

Former Employee - Personal Banker  in  Liverpool, England
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in Liverpool, England

I worked at Barclays full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The paid me on time and sometimes early if it was a weekend but the staff incentives for having accounts had been lowered over the years.

Cons

Bullying managers at branch level.I almost had a breakdown due to the pressure put on me.Targets and profits is all they are interested in.Even when it was raised as high as I could go nothing changed.I met some great people who had suffered at the hand of this this "go to bank."variation management" is another word for measuring your sales targets. The new moral high ground which was supposed to change the whole bank has not changed a thing.My friends who still work there are the people I feel really bad for.

Call sales targets what they are, consider rooting out the bad sales type mangers who have little or no management skills other then threatening to put you on an improvement plan if you don't sell more, Treat your staff better and the staff would be more productive.There is an underlying culture of fear and the behinds the scenes back patting is evident to everybody who works there.You tend to hire people based on who you like and the politics involved.The new moral code you have will be useless if you don't root out the large percentage of the management who seek to protect themselves.

A truly awful culture; political, blame, "jobs for the boys/girls" - avoid at all costs

Former Employee - Director, Operations  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Director, Operations in London, England

I worked at Barclays full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Money - they have to pay high end to get anyone to work there
    Benefits - the pension, insurance and stock options are pretty good
    mmmm that's it

Cons

Senior Management know they are fighting a losing cause so surround themselves with "yes" people and pull up the drawbridge.
    Presentee-ism culture - and backward looking - they block the use of Social media in this day and age!!!
    Execution driven and cant stick to a plan, strategy...analysis and forward thinking are non existent
    Huge distrust between Management and middle ranks
    There own self defined definition of "Talent" is "The top 200" or "SLG" - nothing else matters and forget the notion of talent rising through the ranks - they just buy in at the top. Even supported by what is well known to be the worst HR Management in FTSE.
    CEO is slowly smothering the cash cow Investment Bank rather that re-structure the company properly.
    The "culture change" programme has been a flop - C suite think by "sheep dipping" 100,000 employees through a 2 hour culture session it will change the company's culture!!!
    Have a look at the Salz Review and see how Barclays has missed nearly every target set for sustainable change

Create a vision that isn't just about appeasing regulators and stick to it!
    Value and understand your people - you just don't and the current HR are incapable of this.
    Change your HRLT; they are a laughing stock in the City and climbing over each other to curry favour with C suite rather than attract, retain, develop and reward Talent.

The highs were great but the lows were dreadful.

Former Employee - Branch Manager  in  Redhill, South East England, England
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Redhill, South East England, England

I worked at Barclays full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people I worked with were great, we had fantastic laughs, and supported each other through the tough times both personal and business related.
    If you wanted to move your career forward there were many opportunities, however you 'face had to fit' a lot of the time.

Cons

The demands that were put on you were often unrealistic. The focus on sales rather than service was the biggest problem. You often felt like middle and high level management had no idea what it was like to actually work in a branch and speak to real customers.
    While they went through the motions when there were people with health issues they were in fact very unaccommodating when it came down to actually helping people with disabilities (in my personal experience).

Focus more on taking care of your staff, happy staff with work harder for you to provide happy customers. Try actually working in a branch and meeting the customers that we deal with day in and day out for you.

Not what it was!

Former Employee - Various  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Various in London, England

I worked at Barclays full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Well it's a job but nothing like it was even 20 years ago. I left an organisation which I'd worked for for 35 years felling relieved to be out of it.

Cons

The bank still maintains a target driven culture that inadvertently encourages bad behaviours across the board. "Bonuses" at the branch / call centre level are unreliable and frankly subjective.

Talk to your older long serving staff. Ask them how the bank used to run for the benefit of customers, shareholders and staff.

Great for experience

I worked at Barclays

Pros

Great for experience and feel for banking

Cons

Moral could be better with management being a bit more compassionate and understanding

Need to learn how to manage staff and have some compassion

Excellent package, aggressive culture not for everyone, revolving door at the top

I worked at Barclays full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The salary and benefits were excellent. There was a sense of teamwork within my own team, although this didn't extend to the senior management.

Cons

Work-life balance was very poor, with often unfeasible deadlines and very long hours. The amount of travelling required could be extreme at times. Senior management were dictatorial. The performance appraisal process was very much a "management tell" rather than a two-way discussion, with decisions on performance ratings having already been made before the meeting took place. Feedback could make or break your career in an instant.

Treat your staff as human beings.

My Experience

Current Employee - Personal Banker  in  Liverpool, England
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in Liverpool, England

I have been working at Barclays part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits (such as My Barclays Rewards) are great. Incentives ('Colleague Reward') is terrible, especially if you are part-time.

Cons

Management of individual teams are not yet fully on board with the new Values - many (especially Telephony Team Leaders) are too focused on 'Sales'.

If you believe in the 'Values' and 'Purpose' of Barclays, then ensure that every person in a position of management does as well. Ensure that Team Leaders (such as the ones in Liverpool Contact Centre) care enough about our customers as much as the frontline staff do, otherwise a vicious circle will emerge, from which only the Personal Bankers will know how to handle. The Team Leaders are 'out-of-the-game' and may know how to manage a team, but certainly not how to manage the expectations of staff and customers in this new era of Barclays.

Worked for Barclays? Contribute to the Community!