Barclays

Barclays Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Barclays Group CEO Antony Jenkins

Antony Jenkins

Pros
  • Some good people amidst a sea of people who've checked out; good work life balance (in 50 reviews)

• Flexible work from home, multiple network of mentors (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Transfers are very rarely given to help staff in work/life balance unless you are management (in 18 reviews)

• There have been increased senior management changes in recent years (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

declining

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England

Prosone of the biggest banks in the uk.

Constoo many changes recently. management seem to be confused about stakeholder management. employees are at the losing end of the bargain

Good employer

Collection Agent (Current Employee) Manchester, England

ProsGreat renumerations and benefits, good pay

ConsMiddle management have no Emotional Intelligence & no vision

It is a lovely place to work

ProsMany career progression opportunities available

ConsLow pay - plenty of room for improvement

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My Barclays experience

Internal Communications Stakeholder Manager (Former Employee) London, England

Prosoffice location in Canary Wharf was excellent

ConsShort deadlines and conflicting objectives

radbroke hall - where software development goes to die

Software Developer (Former Employee) Knutsford, England

Proscontractor pay is reasonable as expected in banking and their office block at 1 Churchill Place, London is an impressive building.

Consa software development process that is so broken, it is amazing anything gets released at all. there is hardly any connect between various departments and even the most simple of tasks are weighed down with endless meetings, red tape etc. the technical debt is eye watering.
    as a general work environment, there is a pervading culture of backstabbing and brown nosing that is no doubt the result of their all encompassing annual performance reviews and constant waves of redundancy. the main talking point around review time was who had stabbed who in the back to get their payrise/promotion/contract extension. the location (radbroke hall) too is pretty bad, a grim cluster of 70s buildings on a campus in the middle of rural cheshire, with no facilities for miles. also make sure your car is 4wd as you'll invariably have to park on a churned up mud bath of a field due to woeful lack of parking spaces.

Advice to Senior Managementread some books on agile software development.

High steet bank run by school drop-out with poor people skills and major superiority complex

Cashier (Former Employee) Bromley, England

Pros- Great reputation
    - Good hours

Cons- Management is picked from the dregs of a bad barrel. Both banker manager and deputy were verbally abusive to staff
    - Poor salary but anyone can get the job so it's kind of understandable that they pay you peanuts
    - Excessive sales targets with very little reward
    - The need of the customers is not a priority. We were forced to sell any product we could onto the customer, whether it helped them on not.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave Bank Managers undergo courses in team management. Don't make high sales targets a necessity for Cashiers.

Great place to work for

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsTalented people, great internal opportunity

ConsLong hours, a lot of management changes

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent about the changes happening.

Great place to work

Vice President (Current Employee)

ProsClarity and focus. Good career growth with internal movement options

ConsOrganisational challenges, much like any large corporate.

Forced to sell insurance and current accounts with fee paying packs

Personal Banker (Current Employee) London, England

ProsLove to genuinely help general public meet their needs and requirements to make there life easy. Working and waiting for a gap to leave the branch or maybe even the company. Local job.

ConsRogue managers who want us to sell and reach targets (which are not supposed to exist under the Financial Conduct Authority) as prior to them being enforced. We ARE penalised on our PD and 1 to 1 interviews if we do not achieve our previous records. We can not use words like "Sale" or "Advice". We are encouraged to talk about the icaps on gateway even though customer does not start the conversation. we are also measured on these petty things. Anything to make life difficult so that we resign. Transfers are very rarely given to help staff in work/life balance unless you are management. They want you to leave so that Barclays don't have to give you redundancy in the near future. They have already tightened on paying of over time. DAILY we have to give them more than 40 minutes in overtime we can not claim - 20 minutes in the morning to attend daily meeting and can only claim overtime in the afternoon AFTER the first 20 minutes have been done free of charge. Too much pressure to "SELL". "SELL" and "SELL" even when this obviously does NOT meet the customers needs or requirement. Too much immoral money coming in. Now new overdraft charges have for the needy have actually increased. We have to lie to the most obviously losing out person that it's better for them. People are already leaving Barclays or now not using us as their main bank. Managers also too secret - don't trust us PB or other staff. Career opportunities and moves are NOT that easy really. The bad/trouble making staff tend to be able to move and even get promotions.

Advice to Senior ManagementAbide by the FCA guideline and ease off on the pressure to "SELL". Get the public (and staff) confidence back.
    We all know Barclays needs the money - but so do their staff. We are humans and have a need for work/life balance. We are not third world call centre workers. Our outgoings are higher. Be brave, handle your staff fairly and equally. Don't pick on soft target only to set them as an example - that's a form of bullying. People don't speak out against you because you gang up and make life more difficult for us.

Work hard, play reasonably hard

Vice President (Current Employee) London, England

ProsWork life balance _is_ taken seriously. There are opportunities for travel, secondments etc, both within the UK and internationally. Very broad mix of cultures in the office. Professional and dedicated colleagues for the most part.

ConsCareer trajectory still defined to a large extent by what your boss says about you at PD and moderation sessions - which he may not tell you about. Culture of secrecy still pervades the whole remuneration/bonus area. My dept can be totally focussed on MI and internal metrics, and not see the bigger picture.

Worked for Barclays? Contribute to the Community!