Barclays Reviews

Updated 27 August 2014
Updated 27 August 2014

Barclays Group CEO Antony Jenkins
Antony Jenkins

Pros
  • Some good people amidst a sea of people who've checked out; good work life balance (in 50 reviews)

• Flexible work from home, multiple network of mentors (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Transfers are very rarely given to help staff in work/life balance unless you are management (in 18 reviews)

• There have been increased senior management changes in recent years (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

The highs were great but the lows were dreadful.

Former Employee - Branch Manager  in  Redhill, South East England, England
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Redhill, South East England, England

I worked at Barclays full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people I worked with were great, we had fantastic laughs, and supported each other through the tough times both personal and business related.
    If you wanted to move your career forward there were many opportunities, however you 'face had to fit' a lot of the time.

Cons

The demands that were put on you were often unrealistic. The focus on sales rather than service was the biggest problem. You often felt like middle and high level management had no idea what it was like to actually work in a branch and speak to real customers.
    While they went through the motions when there were people with health issues they were in fact very unaccommodating when it came down to actually helping people with disabilities (in my personal experience).

Focus more on taking care of your staff, happy staff with work harder for you to provide happy customers. Try actually working in a branch and meeting the customers that we deal with day in and day out for you.

Excellent package, aggressive culture not for everyone, revolving door at the top

I worked at Barclays full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The salary and benefits were excellent. There was a sense of teamwork within my own team, although this didn't extend to the senior management.

Cons

Work-life balance was very poor, with often unfeasible deadlines and very long hours. The amount of travelling required could be extreme at times. Senior management were dictatorial. The performance appraisal process was very much a "management tell" rather than a two-way discussion, with decisions on performance ratings having already been made before the meeting took place. Feedback could make or break your career in an instant.

Treat your staff as human beings.

Not what it was!

Former Employee - Various  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Various in London, England

I worked at Barclays full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Well it's a job but nothing like it was even 20 years ago. I left an organisation which I'd worked for for 35 years felling relieved to be out of it.

Cons

The bank still maintains a target driven culture that inadvertently encourages bad behaviours across the board. "Bonuses" at the branch / call centre level are unreliable and frankly subjective.

Talk to your older long serving staff. Ask them how the bank used to run for the benefit of customers, shareholders and staff.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great for experience

I worked at Barclays

Pros

Great for experience and feel for banking

Cons

Moral could be better with management being a bit more compassionate and understanding

Need to learn how to manage staff and have some compassion

My Experience

Current Employee - Personal Banker  in  Liverpool, England
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in Liverpool, England

I have been working at Barclays part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits (such as My Barclays Rewards) are great. Incentives ('Colleague Reward') is terrible, especially if you are part-time.

Cons

Management of individual teams are not yet fully on board with the new Values - many (especially Telephony Team Leaders) are too focused on 'Sales'.

If you believe in the 'Values' and 'Purpose' of Barclays, then ensure that every person in a position of management does as well. Ensure that Team Leaders (such as the ones in Liverpool Contact Centre) care enough about our customers as much as the frontline staff do, otherwise a vicious circle will emerge, from which only the Personal Bankers will know how to handle. The Team Leaders are 'out-of-the-game' and may know how to manage a team, but certainly not how to manage the expectations of staff and customers in this new era of Barclays.

Corporate Relationship Manager

I have been working at Barclays full-time

Pros

Great support and work environment
    Great corporate mentality and ethics

Cons

Limited progression opportunities
    can be overlooked in favour of graduate newcomers

A difficult place to work right now

Former Employee - Personal Banker  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in London, England

I worked at Barclays part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good added benefits on top of your salary , reduced child care , gym membership , insurances etc that can be taken out of pre tax pay .
    Fantastic team of people to work with.
    Real innovation in moving the business forward so it is sustainable in the future.

Cons

The customers that come into the branch do not want the changes that are being implemented and are rude and abusive to the staff on a daily basis.
    Long working hours .
    Staff leaving and not being replaced, the rest of the team having to pick up their work load .

Realise that the people in the branches are working 8 or 9 hour days with no or little breaks and not being able to claim overtime due to this breaking 'values' .

Politics and reorgs

Current Employee - Director  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Director in London, England

I have been working at Barclays full-time for less than a year

Pros

Bring your own device to use on the wifi

Cons

The most political place I've ever worked! Very old fashioned development methods and poor technologists.

Review

Current Employee - Vice President
    Current Employee - Vice President

I have been working at Barclays full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good with staff. Professional environment

Cons

Difficult supply chain. Excessive governance

Co-operative and motivating to progress

I worked at Barclays

Pros

Easy to manage Work life balance

Cons

Very Political Environment, limited career progression

Worked for Barclays? Contribute to the Community!