Barnes & Noble

1,266 Reviews
3.4
1,266 Reviews

Michael Huseby

Pros
  • It's nice to get a decent discount on books and have access to the titles (in 42 reviews)

• The one thing that I can say about this company is that you get a pretty great employee discount (in 108 reviews)

Cons
  • While the pay is a little above minimum wage, the hours make for some very small paychecks (in 79 reviews)

• The company had some serious problems that turned a great part-time job into a so-so (in 61 reviews)

More Highlights

Great People, Unfortunate Company

Former Employee - Children's Lead Bookseller
    Former Employee - Children's Lead Bookseller

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working with other book lovers and readers created a great atmosphere of sharing recommendations and discussing titles throughout the day. My fellow booksellers were the reason I stayed in this job. The employee discount on books is okay, as is the book borrowing option. I greatly appreciated that the store did not open early or stay open late at all for the holidays, as I find the whole Black Friday phenomenon detestable.

Cons

Very poor pay grade and no recognition from the corporation itself that minimum wage is an impossible wage to survive on. There are no benefits for part-time, and the full-time benefits are sad. There is no real opportunity for advancement, which is unfortunate as there are many great employees who would do the company a real service if they were promoted and given the space to flourish. Dealing with customers can be demoralising, as anyone who works in retail will understand. The push to sell certain books, the membership card, the nook, etc., constantly interfered with the personalised, thoughtful, friendly service and assistance that I and my fellow booksellers so truly wanted to offer.

Cut the constant, multiple promotions (and the constant hounding of employees over them) that interfere with the personalised service your booksellers can offer. If customers want canned promotions, they have the entire internet for that.

As good as retail will ever get - great business, good benefits, but concerning trends

Former Employee - Merchandising Manager in Orange, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Merchandising Manager in Orange, CA (US)

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As good as it will ever get for retail. Great community of people to work with. Full-timers get great benefits. Benefits extended to same-sex partnerships even where not legally required. Books are fun.

Cons

People just get weird around bookstores. High sales expectations (memberships). Increasing trend towards bare minimum staffing of a store... frustrating when the main advantage over online shopping is customer service.

Allot more hours to store so they can staff to meet customer's expectations. Managers are doing what they can with what they have, which isn't much.

Good company to work for while I was taking college courses.

Former Employee - Bookseller
    Former Employee - Bookseller

I worked at Barnes & Noble

Pros

The company was flexible with my schedule.

Cons

Do not have too many cons. More training in certain areas.

awesome

I worked at Barnes & Noble

Pros

flexible schedule, vacation time for even part-time employees

Cons

bureaucratic higher up stuff that happens anywhere in chain stores

This is a wonderful company to work for because of the people, who are passionate about books but also about each other.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Barnes & Noble

Pros

It's the booksellers who make this company so worthwhile. They love what they do and their knowledge of books is immense. The company also provides a great deal of flexibility in scheduling as well as the best work life balance a retail management position can offer.

Cons

Technology is still not as up to date as it should be, especially when the efficiency expectations continue to get higher every year. Schedules are still done in Excel, which is incredibly time consuming and takes managers off of the floor more than necessary. There is also not a great deal of talent development for store managers to move forward in the company. We spend a lot of time trying to hire / recruit and only want top talent but do not compensate well for it.

There are great opportunities to develop booksellers and managers within the stores but you are limited to antiquated technology. The company is slow to change and stay up to date so you have to make the best with what you have. You will put in a lot of work that could be made much easier with better technology and the compensation does not necessarily match the effort.

Wonderful people to work with, limited advancement opportunities

Former Employee - Lead Cafe Server
    Former Employee - Lead Cafe Server

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very friendly co workers and managers, they were great about accommodating scheduling and vacation requests. Everyone worked well together and helped the store run smoothly.

Cons

In 7 years, I only witnessed a few people get promotions within my store. New managers were hired from outside the company or transferred from other stores.
    Raises were annual, but in tiny increments.

Support dedicated employees and help them grow into management positions.

Absolutely the BEST place I have ever worked retail!

Current Employee - Bookseller in Brookfield, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Bookseller in Brookfield, WI (US)

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time (less than a year)

Pros

-staff is super friendly and flexible
    -management really cares about how you feel at the job
    -they work with other jobs and school hours
    -everything is great
    -super great discounts (50% in cafe, 30% on the bookfloor and music dept., employee appreciation days in the holiday season-45%)

Cons

-the only drawback is they really, really push you for memberships, and if you have a hard time getting them, they somewhat devaluate your ability as a bookseller

Love my job!

I have been working at Barnes & Noble

Pros

Family environment with coworkers and customers

Cons

None! I've bee with the company over 13 years

!

I have been working at Barnes & Noble

Pros

Good when things make sense

Cons

Not good if sales are bad