Bechtel

Bechtel Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Bechtel President & CEO Bill Dudley

Bill Dudley

Pros
  • 9/80 schedule (off every other Friday) with flex scheduling (can come in any time between 6:30-8:30a(in 14 reviews)

• Good pay, good benefits, worldwide company with opportunities in many markets and fields(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • No such thing as work life balance while on an international assignment(in 19 reviews)

• Long Commute, sometimes long hours, but generally rarely(in 13 reviews)

Interesting experience

ProsWide Variety of opportunities internationally, great community within the company and this is a very good company to get to see a real perspective on the construction industry

ConsThe work/life balance still isn't right but it is improving, if you only work 40 hours a week don't expect to advance rapidly. The best paid jobs are in foreign countries, so expect to travel to be paid well.

Great opportunity for travel and exposure to new work fronts, but poor organization.

Project Engineer (Current Employee) London, England

ProsBechtel likes to send its employees to stretch assignments overseas. I have been sent to locations where I do not speak the language and I do not have the skills to perform my job. Working in this environment has benefited me by encouraging me to learn new skills, quickly, in a hands-on environment. The salary and assignment conditions are amazing!

ConsPoor recognition of performance, particularly for low-grade employees. Bonuses are shocking. I see a lot of employees demonstrating loyalty without Bechtel demonstrating loyalty to its employees. Career progression through salary grades is not transparent. Everyone feels it's luck of the draw every year if you get a grade increase.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove your bonus program, particularly the sharing for success system. It is insulting.

Great graduate programme

Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) London, England

ProsThe programme provides real responsibility at an early career stage and a wide variety of experience across the Bechtel GBUs. The people are some of the best in class and the graduate scheme provides a great grounding in the fundamentals of the industry.

ConsAfter the graduate scheme is complete there is not a clear career path. Career progression particularly in the Oil and Gas GBU is very slow and to get onto the leadership track you need to invest a .lot of effort in networking.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide a clearer career path for employees after employees complete the graduate scheme.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great experience but you'll work hard

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England

Prossmart people passionate about what they do
    amazing projects that have an impact
    excellent discipline in project management
    strong corporate culture, ethics and values

Conslong, long, long hours
    work comes first - before health, family and friends
    need to move with the projects

Advice to Senior Managementrealise that people need to take care of their health and spend time with their family

Great company, but a horrible boss

Executive Personal Assistant (Former Employee) London, England

ProsStaff
    Location
    Benefits
    Employee Recognition of Service Awards

ConsHR
    Salaries
    Some higher ups believe they have carte blanch... and are allowed to behave any way they want

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to staff input

Awesome company to work for

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) London, England

ProsWell known company, a huge plus in a resume, if you ever worked at Bechtel.
    Truly equal opportunities employee.

ConsBelow average pay
    Majority of jobs are in Asia and Middle East, which makes you relocate every so often, which can also be an advantage for some employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood job overall!

Bechtel Civil

Civil Engineer (Current Employee) London, England

ProsProvide a lot of opportunities for professional development
    a good open door policy to senior management
    a lot of opportunities all over the world
    management supported rotation program
    structured processes and procedures (not rigid)

Conslong assignment durations
    relatively small raises and bonuses for good performance
    long working hours sometimes
    processes and procedures involve a lot of paperwork and could be very bureaucratic

Advice to Senior Managementprovide more transparency to all employees
    make it easier to change assignments between global business units
    compensate employees based on their performance rather than based on their nationanlities

Sweet and Sour experiences

Cost Engineer (Current Employee) London, England

ProsGreat place to work as you'll get involved in "signature projects" well known worldwide.

If you want to explore the world you can push for this due to their large portafolio of overseas assignments.

Good Benefits - health insurance and pension plans are genereous.

ConsEmployee support departments - namely Payroll, HR, etc - do not provide a good service towards basic and elementary stuff that may jeopardise employee satisfaction with the company. They often make mistakes and are reluctant to amend them, regardless that this may cost you a lot of time and effort to rectify the situation.

Annual bonuses are just symbolic.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of doing sweet talk about how wonderful and bright is in the future within the company, you should be more realistic and express if something wrong is happening.

Be more sincere and objective in providing constructive feedback.

Very powerful experience.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMeaningful work supporting a great cause. Work is very challenging and advanced.

ConsThe work environment is restrictive.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

big company and experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosprojects are exciting and huge

Conschanging locations frequently and moving

Worked for Bechtel? Contribute to the Community!