Bechtel

Bechtel Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Bechtel Chairman Riley P. Bechtel

Riley P. Bechtel

Pros:
  • "9/80 schedule (off every other Friday) with flex scheduling (can come in any time between 6:30-8:30a"
    in 14 reviews
  • "multicultural, exposure to different work environment, get to learn a lot"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "No such thing as work life balance while on an international assignment"
    in 16 reviews
  • "no work life balance, over work you"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great opportunity for travel and exposure to new work fronts, but poor organization.

Project Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bechtel full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBechtel likes to send its employees to stretch assignments overseas. I have been sent to locations where I do not speak the language and I do not have the skills to perform my job. Working in this environment has benefited me by encouraging me to learn new skills, quickly, in a hands-on environment. The salary and assignment conditions are amazing!

ConsPoor recognition of performance, particularly for low-grade employees. Bonuses are shocking. I see a lot of employees demonstrating loyalty without Bechtel demonstrating loyalty to its employees. Career progression through salary grades is not transparent. Everyone feels it's luck of the draw every year if you get a grade increase.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove your bonus program, particularly the sharing for success system. It is insulting.

Great graduate programme

Electrical Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bechtel full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe programme provides real responsibility at an early career stage and a wide variety of experience across the Bechtel GBUs. The people are some of the best in class and the graduate scheme provides a great grounding in the fundamentals of the industry.

ConsAfter the graduate scheme is complete there is not a clear career path. Career progression particularly in the Oil and Gas GBU is very slow and to get onto the leadership track you need to invest a .lot of effort in networking.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide a clearer career path for employees after employees complete the graduate scheme.

great experience but you'll work hard

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Bechtel full-time for more than 8 years

Prossmart people passionate about what they do
amazing projects that have an impact
excellent discipline in project management
strong corporate culture, ethics and values

Conslong, long, long hours
work comes first - before health, family and friends
need to move with the projects

Advice to Senior Managementrealise that people need to take care of their health and spend time with their family

Great company, but a horrible boss

Executive Personal Assistant (Former Employee)
London, England

I worked at Bechtel full-time for more than a year

ProsStaff
Location
Benefits
Employee Recognition of Service Awards

ConsHR
Salaries
Some higher ups believe they have carte blanch... and are allowed to behave any way they want

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to staff input

Awesome company to work for

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Bechtel

ProsWell known company, a huge plus in a resume, if you ever worked at Bechtel.
Truly equal opportunities employee.

ConsBelow average pay
Majority of jobs are in Asia and Middle East, which makes you relocate every so often, which can also be an advantage for some employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood job overall!

Bechtel Civil

Civil Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bechtel

ProsProvide a lot of opportunities for professional development
a good open door policy to senior management
a lot of opportunities all over the world
management supported rotation program
structured processes and procedures (not rigid)

Conslong assignment durations
relatively small raises and bonuses for good performance
long working hours sometimes
processes and procedures involve a lot of paperwork and could be very bureaucratic

Advice to Senior Managementprovide more transparency to all employees
make it easier to change assignments between global business units
compensate employees based on their performance rather than based on their nationanlities

Sweet and Sour experiences

Cost Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bechtel

ProsGreat place to work as you'll get involved in "signature projects" well known worldwide.

If you want to explore the world you can push for this due to their large portafolio of overseas assignments.

Good Benefits - health insurance and pension plans are genereous.

ConsEmployee support departments - namely Payroll, HR, etc - do not provide a good service towards basic and elementary stuff that may jeopardise employee satisfaction with the company. They often make mistakes and are reluctant to amend them, regardless that this may cost you a lot of time and effort to rectify the situation.

Annual bonuses are just symbolic.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of doing sweet talk about how wonderful and bright is in the future within the company, you should be more realistic and express if something wrong is happening.

Be more sincere and objective in providing constructive feedback.

Bechtel will move fast if you give your best

Training Coordinator (Current Employee)
Brisbane (Australia)

I have been working at Bechtel full-time for less than a year

ProsBechtel is a company that has the capability to move fast if leadership recognizes skill sets that will contribute to the long term future of the company. There are also many opportunities to move into other areas of interest if available and onto other units within the business.

ConsAs a relatively new starter with the business you may be left to your own devices to a large degree and you may need to actively seek consultation with leadership and peers to define and scope out your role.

Good company

Contracts Manager (Current Employee)
Santiago (Chile)

I have been working at Bechtel full-time for more than a year

ProsWell organized company, have more than 100 years of procedures.

Good ethics background.

Good for those ones who like to travel a lot. Every project is other city, country or continent.

Family can work in the same company (it is good when you work in projects).

ConsCompany organization, in despite that the money comes from the development of project, it is a vertical organization, where the living together between a project and a corporate organization is hard. It moves slowly and there is no bias to innovation.

As per the innovation is not one of their values, promotions are based on years on experience rather than results.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to rejuvenate the organization, nowadays experience is still a key factor but a bit of innovation in the technical and business areas are mandatory to survive.

I recommend to hire and keep into their lines well trained personnel, 100 years of experience is not enough, younger management personnel need to lead the next 100 years of the Company.

Compared to other Companies...

I have been working at Bechtel

ProsI've read so many negative reviews from other companies on glassdoor.com and it compelled me to write a gratuitous review on Bechtel.

I am young professional that has been in the "working world" since 2010. I don't know if Bechtel is where I want to be for the rest of my life, but what I do know is the position my life is in at this very moment is because of this company. I am able to pay my bills, travel, live comfortably, and be relatively stress free. I've received a yearly raise since I've worked here, multiple awards accompanied with gift cards up to $500 that you can use just about anywhere, I get every other Friday off, Flex-hours Monday - Friday, great people to work with, casual Fridays, relaxed work environment, and did I mention I receive a holiday bonus every year?

I was able to travel to Washington D.C. this year to go to a young professional’s conference. Everything was paid for by the company.

Not only that, but if ever I have an issue, I am able to talk to my supervisor without feeling intimated. I am able to take vacation time anytime I need it.

Do I have to work overtime some days? Yes. But not every week or everyday.

The company culture is that of a family. I can't speak for other departments, or units of Bechtel, but I am thankful, at my age, to be a part of a company that allows me to put my degree to excellent use as well as let me live my life.

ConsLike I said, I am not sure how far I can go with Bechtel, but for the time being I have no complaints. And if I did, it would only be with certain individuals and not the company itself.

Worked for Bechtel? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bechtel reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Bechtel CEO Riley P. Bechtel. All 293 reviews are posted anonymously by Bechtel employees.