Bed Bath & Beyond

Updated 24 January 2015
2.8

Bed Bath & Beyond CEO and Director Steve Temares
Steve Temares

Pros
  • They train employees on product knowledge to help deliver better customer service (in 120 reviews)

• You will learn a lot about products you never even considered owning or even knew about before (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • If you were to mention work/life balance while interviewing - you would never be hired (in 28 reviews)

• You must work long hours to really excel in your position (in 56 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales Associate/ Bridal Consultant / Front End Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great team atmosphere, strong business model, wonderful customer service, overall a motivating place to work.

Cons

Turnover
    Management promoting favorites and leaving those who deserve it more in the dust

Keep the people who the masses want to follow at the helm. Pay close attention to employee satisfaction and find the root cause.

Good part-time position

Former Employee - Store Associate in Newark, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Store Associate in Newark, NJ (US)

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond

Pros

Training is fairly extensive even for store associates

1) Flexible schedule especially if you are in college
    2) Good Team Atmosphere
    3) Great for anyone looking for Part-time work

Cons

1) Chances of obtaining full-time position are slim if you are store associate
    2) Not much upward mobility
    3) Shift supervisors did not have enough authority to discipline associates

Allow for more upward mobility.

Good store

Former Employee - Customer Service Trainer in Duluth, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Trainer in Duluth, GA (US)

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great environment, easy to learn.

Cons

Environment depends heavily on management being competent. Customers are very needy and spoiled

Customer service

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In a customer service job the employees make the experience. I have to say I had a pretty great staff.

Cons

Its customer service, your face to face with them. This has its plus side and negative as well but that comes with the territory.

More training on items and stock.

The job pays good but you have to work hard for it expect to get out supper late and multi task like no tomorrow.

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Kendall, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Kendall, FL (US)

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay is good compared to most retail jobs

Cons

Over work you. Get out late if you close a lot of box and heavy lifting climbing ladders

Management is super nice and understanding but need more employees and positions

Great people to work with, unfortunately company as a whole is very stingy.

Current Employee - Customer Service Trainer in Baton Rouge, LA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Trainer in Baton Rouge, LA (US)

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The goal of the company is to give an exceptional customer service experience to every customer not normally received at big box stores. This is the way other companies SHOULD be treating customers, but many don't. Now, this experience can be faltered depending on the individual store personnel, but the call for great customer service comes all the way from corporate and is taken very seriously at the 3 different stores I've worked at in 2 different states. Other retail employees that start working here sometimes have problems adjusting to this culture and normally do not last as long as employees who come in with no retail experience. This is what makes me love working for the company. They also stay true to their "promote from within" policy. I have seen dept. managers eventually become store mangers, and have also seen 2 of my store managers promoted to district managers. And this was just on the individual store level.

Cons

Company is very stingy, putting it nicely, which comes with being a debt-free company. Smaller stores are sometimes understaffed due to lack of budgeting for hours and can sometimes be overwhelmed by unforeseen customer rushes. This also leads to some staff being overworked and performing multiple job duties that they are not technically responsible for.

You really have to love and sincerely enjoy helping people and giving great customer service to enjoy working here. Other retail employees that start working here sometimes have problems adjusting to this culture and normally do not last as long as employees who come in with no retail experience.

It was a nice job while I was looking for something in my field

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Bridal Consultant in Schererville, IN (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Bridal Consultant in Schererville, IN (US)

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond

Pros

You get a 20% discount off of everything you purchase (watch out ladies-this can be dangerous!) and at my particular store I really enjoyed the people that I worked with.

Cons

Low pay (if you are not a salaried employee), and no control over your schedule

Customer service it what makes Bed Bath & Beyond so special...when I worked at store #1308 we had opened the store and had an excellent store manager. He did a lot of great things but his #1 priority was always making the customers happy-and he succeeded! He eventually got transferred and coincidentally I left around the same time (not due to his leaving). When I visited the store a year later I was sorely disappointed in what I saw...employees passing me without even making eye contact (let alone greeting me and asking how to help), poor customer service when checking out, etc. My advice is to remember what makes you unique and PUSH it as hard as you can! I was so proud to say I worked retail when I was at your store, but I am far less proud to admit it now when looking at the conditions the store has fallen into. Although I know their new store manager is fabulous, they seem to have lost a lot of great employees since I left.

Pretty good

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond

Pros

Cool people and nice merchandise

Cons

A lot of time on feet constantly trying to sell creams

Just consider your employees more

This is a great summer job!

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great new employee training! The other floor staff really teach you how to sell products and satisfy customers!

Cons

Required to be quick on your feet, and up for some unloading the freight every day. But that's the job.