Bentley Bratcher & Associates

Bentley Bratcher & Associates Managing Partners Gregory O. Bratcher

Gregory O. Bratcher

Unprofessional

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSnacks, drinks, and coffee provided daily. Nice building with a deli inside. Lunches and massages sometimes provided for busy season. Software is user friendly, staff is committed to working hard and staying overtime. Most managers are approachable.

ConsHigh turnover. Many offices are empty from previous employees that left. Employee retention is not their strong suit. Most of the tenured staff come in late, or don't show up to work everyday and are difficult to reach for customer questions/issues. Communication seems to have a significant barrier, as most critical information is not immediately communicated beforehand. Training is little to none, and specific management can be impatient, belittling, and profane. There is no sense of reason or understanding that seems to come with the territory of working here, and be expected to show no sense of urgency to leave on time it is expected that you stay working everyday past the time you were scheduled, or you will indefinitely be frowned upon.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild your team. Foster growth. Build a bench, so that when people leave you have good employees to fall back on. Send your leaders to a training class, so that they can be better mentors. Value your people, not only physically, but mentally. Reward and recognize the good, minimize the bad. Organize the staff, open the communication lines, and hold people accountable.

Ups and Downs like every job, average in the public accounting field.

Staff Associate (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsOpportunity to learn all aspects of the firm if you desire. They start you out with a laptop w/remote access and a key to come in on your own time when projects require. Staff seems laid back and so does management. They are straight to the point minimizing wasted time from adding "fluff".

ConsAbsolutely no training manual or schedule. Pretty much expected to be working on projects alone the 2nd day. Not quite sure who answers my questions and pretty much had to teach myself everything. I am no slacker and have a pretty solid knowledge of accounting concepts either. Just to be clear, I had no problem with the CPA exams and breezed through them without studying as much as I did for my drivers license(skimmed the book in line). However to sum it up, "90% of the time, I have no idea what the is going on". I like teaching myself. However, I don't even know what general concepts I should be teaching myself. Also, who is in charge here!?!?!?

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on developing a core structure or policy manual. I understand significant strides have been made since 2010 but there is still a long road ahead. Keep on focusing on growth but also be more open to teaching others around you.

A firm dedicated to superior client service, employee development, and community service

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsOpportunities to have exposure and learn about the services BB&A provides. The mentality of the management promotes exposure and development in tax, audit, business development, business services. For those interested in broad exposure within the accounting/finance field, this is the place to be.
    Our clients are our first priority. Learning that serving our clients is a privilege.
    Free snacks, meals (during busy season), great annual Christmas party, outlandish gifts for all employees.
    Receptivity of management regarding work schedule flexibility on an individual basis as well as by departments

ConsA firm in transition experiencing some growing pains. (firm values still in development, excessive turnover in some areas, and improved clarity in terms of roles and responsibilities)
    Policies in dire need of review and updating.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the current course
    Continue to clarify and communicate with employees
    Address the "Cons" above

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company

Senior Tax Accountant (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsI have been working for this company for over two. This is a small business and, as such, I have been exposed to a lot of things that i would not have been if I was working at a larger firm. The firm has seen some turnover but those who have left were not a good fit and not willing to work hard and learn.

ConsLike all other public accounting firms, the hours are longer during the spring. But it is nice that the firm provides snacks and dinner some nights. Plus chair massages.

Worst employment experience of my life

Senior Tax Accountant (Former Employee)

ProsThere was plenty of work to go around; no worries about idle time.

ConsLittle to no management supervision of staff; no feedback provided by supervisors. Corrections made to your work aren't communicated to you (you can't learn from mistakes you are not aware you are making). Hostile/profane managing partner. He really needs some anger management counseling.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your staff. Provide feedback, BEHIND CLOSED DOORS.

Lacking in management skill causing high turnover rates

(Former Employee)

ProsThey had every intention to make the firm better to resolve their turnover issues, but they never seem to realize that the problem is not the people below them -- but the partners themselves. They provide food during busy season and have snacks in the kitchen. Great 401K and health insurance benefits -- for the employees who were eligible for them.

ConsA glowing 4-star review somehow graces their page that claims that the firm suffered from turnover and that the employees who left "were not a good fit and not willing to work hard and learn."

The employees who recently left the firm are some of its best, most hard-working employees who had a major contribution in helping the firm improve (in every way they can). In fact, a majority of these people now work for a Big 4 accounting firm, which is a testament to their aptitude and skill. A Big 4 accounting firm is not exactly where people "not willing to work hard and learn" are hired -- in fact, it is where the brightest and smartest accountants belong.

If management simply recognized the core issue (which would be themselves), instead of pawning off the blame on other people and accusing them of not willing to work hard and learn, they would be much better off. As an accounting firm, honesty is key to providing quality services to your clients, and if you can't be honest about why you are suffering from turnover issues, then it poses as a challenge as to how you maintain business with your clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not blame the people who left as being unwilling to learn because we put up with your inability to handle or manage your employees as much as we can to help your firm continue to function despite the fact that it was on the brink of faltering every busy season.

Listen to your employees for once and do not deny the fact that you and your attitudes/personalities are the reason for your high turnover rates.

This is a great place to work if you would like learn quickly through self-reliance

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI grew thicker skin after working here, and my critical-thinking skills were enhanced because I was forced to learn things on my own. I also had to learn to not take things personally when management corrected my work. I learned to put my feelings aside when feedback was given. My pay was fair based on my experience level.

ConsEven though I learned to not take things personally at work because of this job, the manner in which feedback is given could use improvement. Management used derisive language to correct employees. I have heard partners scream curse words when things go awry. As a matter of fact, I recall the partner screaming so loudly in the phone that his voice cracked. The work environment is very not as professional as what I would expect for a CPA firm.

I am a generally optimistic person who chooses to not focus on only bad things. I am very loyal and don't change jobs often. I actually like public accounting because it affords the chance to work with clients one-on-one while utilizing technical accounting knowledge. However, not long after working here, I found myself dreading waking up every work day because of the volatile work environment.

Hostile Environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe firm provides the standard niceties like free snacks and sodas, dinner once a week during busy season and lunch on Saturdays. The Christmas party is nice and each employee receives a fairly extravagant Christmas gift.

ConsThis is the most hostile work environment I, or anyone I know, has ever experienced. The owners have no issue with screaming, cursing and telling employees they are "worthless". Owners also talk about managers and staff in a negative way to other employees. Adequate training and mentoring is not provided, and less experienced employees are left to figure things out themselves. Most employees are terrified to speak to the managing partner. Out of 6 managers that were hired in 2011, only 2 remained at October 2012. Of the 3 seniors that were employed at the firm in January 2012, only 1 remained at November 2012. Of the 9 associates that were employed in January 2012, only 3 remained at December 2012. There has also been significant turnover in the administrative staff. As of December 2012, there has only been one new hire to replace this turnover (a manager). Employees are not treated with respect or professional courtesy. Lunches over an hour and any time absent between 8-5 must be pre-approved and require use of vacation time as opposed to coming in early or staying late to make up the time. Work-life balance is non-existent because the firm cannot stay adequately staffed due to the treatment of its employees. There are numerous administrative meetings that never result in any action or innovation. The managers are ineffective at enacting any true change because the owners hinder any change. In addition to the issues with the work environment and treatment of employees, the quality control review of the work product is sub-par. Projects are finalized and provided to clients with errors on a regular basis. The combination of lack of proper training and lack of top level review is a recipe for disaster in the accounting industry. The firm lost countless clients in 2012 due to poor client service and work product. The issues start at the top and will not change because the top level people are not willing to change.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to treat people with decency and respect. Lead by example and inspiration instead of fear and bullying.

Worked for Bentley Bratcher & Associates? Contribute to the Community!