Best Buy Reviews

6,045 Reviews

Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly
Hubert Joly
1,990 Ratings

Pros
  • You get a nice employee discount on the items that you can get for cheap on amazon (in 760 reviews)

• The pay is descent only if you are working for GeekSquad, great discount for employees (in 323 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance only exists under quality General Management which is rare (in 204 reviews)

• full time position due to nobody moving in current full-time positions for higher ones (in 189 reviews)

More Highlights

Fantastic experience

Former Employee - Team Leader in Bristol, England
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Bristol, England

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Brilliant managers who everyone believed in and trusted. Great products and prices. Fantastic customer service.

Cons

Very poor marketing, no one knew what we sold.

Do what you do best

Awesome Experience

Current Employee - General Manager in Richmond, VA (US)
    Current Employee - General Manager in Richmond, VA (US)

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing work-life balance, wonderful growth opportunity and learning path, it has been an amazing journey of growth and experiences

Cons

Sometimes HR gets too much in the way, it can sometimes be a hassle if you need to make decisions of your team in order to let go someone

My experience at Best Buy has been wonderful and it is such an amazing and fun company to be with.

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

It truly is a fun place to work. You get hands on with the newest technology. The benefits are great. Most importantly I have made the best friends working here. You get to know a lot of diverse and awesome people!

Cons

The hours, but hey it's retail! But Best Buy is very good about giving you the time off that is needed and working with your availability.

Great company

Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company values, great environment, teamwork

Cons

work life balance, need to balance it out

NA

Endless opportunities

Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Growth is amazing if you push

Cons

Retail...hours and so on.. customer expectations

Continue down the path and keep listening to the field

great

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

everything is great in the company

Cons

i dnt have any cons

nothing

Great Company Culture

Current Employee - Scrum Master in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Scrum Master in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at Best Buy as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

This company has made a total commitment to Agile SDLC and it seems to be working well.
    Great Company Culture.
    Great Compensation packages and Benefits.
    Lots of upward mobility possibilities.

Cons

There aren't many cons unless you do not expect to perform and give them their money's worth.
    Long hours dealing with remote/offshore project members; but they make it easy to love what you do.

Keep moving in the current direction.

A decent retail job, but you're not expected to sell what you'd think is expected.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Marlborough, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Marlborough, MA (US)

I worked at Best Buy part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great, fast-paced, and fun work environment as long as you have the right team. I haven't worked here in over 2 years and I still hang out with some of my coworkers. You get to meet a lot of people and talk about technology for most of the day. As long as you're into that sort of thing, you'll have AT LEAST a decent time.

Cons

The company was constantly in a state of flux and changed a lot of policies all the time. Systems that worked would be changed and/or renamed for almost no reason and departments would sometimes be reorganized, separated, or combined and it can force people who work in the gaming section to also see over home appliances. What if they don't know anything about fridges or dish washers? Which brings us into the next point: There isn't any real training for any of the departments. I didn't know anything about cameras when I first worked there. In order for me to learn about them, no one really held my hand or showed me much that was useful. You're expected to mess with the displays yourself and learn on your own. It's definitely possible, but this is a really hard way to learn technology.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, sales are not truly valued unless you set your customers up with protection plans and a credit card. I can't truly convey to you just how much pressure was put on pushing those services. A common interaction with a manager there could look something like this:
    Sales Associate: "Hey, I just had a $800 sale! Lots of accessories attached!"
    Manager: "That's great! Did you get a credit card sign-up?"
    Sales: "No, just the products."
    Manager: "Why no? What happened?"
    Hearing that over and over, every day, can really make you feel bad about doing an otherwise really great job.

I understand you're a big retailer and the focus on trying to have the biggest bottom line as possible, but give it a rest on the quotas. It stresses employees out and makes them feel uneasy about their reputation and sometimes even their job security. There isn't much management can do on a store basis, but it would be really nice if the corporate management would stop trying to reinvent the wheel with all their arbitrary changes in systems and departments. Meaningful change is appreciated, but change for the sake of it is not.

Good Company

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Parker, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Parker, CO (US)

I worked at Best Buy (more than an year)

Pros

The people who work there are, for the most part, really great. They care about you as a person, and try to make it fun to work there.

Cons

Way too much pressure to sell Geek Squad/Black Tie protection on EVERYTHING, and to get a certain number of credit applications every month. Makes being in the service industry even worse, because people already are rude, then you try to sell them extras, and they hate it.

Good Job, Very Demanding

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, OH (US)

I worked at Best Buy part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling in most departments, somewhat competitive pay, and plenty of training. Best Buy does a good job of making sure sales employees are well trained on sales techniques, and that the employee is never without something to do.

Cons

Best Buy often demands much more than is reasonable from employees, increasing work load steadily over time to make up for shrinking margins. They frequently change business strategies to the point that they can frequently sound hypocritical, and formal training often conflicts directly with daily coaching. They use a very numbers-oriented approach to employee evaluations which often ignores local factors; ie, complaining about missed numbers even when customer volume was incredibly low. Many times they failed to follow through on promised rewards for achieving goals or competing in certain categories, to the point where incentives were often seen as downright lies.

Continue focusing on the customers and employees as people- this is your strongest asset. Learn to accept that not every day can be a victory, and look for things to praise before criticizing. If you promise a reward for something, follow through- nothing is more demoralizing than feeling cheated out of something that an entire team worked to earn.