Best Buy

3.3 5,388 reviews

Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly

Hubert Joly

(1,656 ratings)

Pros
  • Finally the employee discount is one of the best I have ever seen or heard of(in 672 reviews)

• Most of the people know what they are talking about and fun to work with(in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance only exists under quality General Management which is rare(in 162 reviews)

• To move to full-time you need to be numbers focused ALL OF THE TIME(in 158 reviews)

5,388 Employee Reviews

Fantastic experience

Team Leader (Former Employee) Bristol, England

ProsBrilliant managers who everyone believed in and trusted. Great products and prices. Fantastic customer service.

ConsVery poor marketing, no one knew what we sold.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo what you do best

Good Company for a first Job

PCHO Lead (Former Employee) Wilmington, DE (US)

ProsLearning how to conduct sales, manage client systems, and perform analysis. This was a perfect first job for someone interested in the field of technology with a sales slant.

ConsOverbearing management, ineffective scheduling, lack of ability to advance in the company.

Home Theater Associate

Home Theater Sales Associate (Former Employee) Waterford, MI (US)

ProsA lot of great people to work with, never ending supply of new technology to learn, had a good discount on merchandise.

ConsVery little upward mobility, they would be willing to let you switch departments and learn more but not willing to let you move up the ladder.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you value good employees they will work very had as long as you come through on promises made. Stop telling employees if they do certain things they will be promoted. If you can't or won't come through for your employees when they do what you ask of them, they lose a lot of faith in you and the company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was, to date, my favorite job.

Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) Arlington, TX (US)

ProsGreat coworkers. Fun environment. Clear path to promotion. Great compensation. Amazing management. Team culture is really pushed.

ConsCustomers are frequently rude, but that's all places. Employee discount is amazing so you may spend your check where you got it.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Best buy

Warehouse Inventory Lead (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsDiscount, Tuition reimbursement, great people

ConsLow pay, job security the higher you get on the totem pole

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to what your employees are saying and problems that they face daily.

Good Place to start, Terrible place to stay.

Best Buy Sales Associate (Current Employee) Springfield, VA (US)

ProsIf you're a student, Best Buy will be incredibly flexible with you. That was probably the main perk of working there. The managers vary store by store and district by district so you might have really chill management or really strict. It looks good on your resume and they have decent benefits for full time employees but nothing really for part time. They can pay about $3,000 for school if you're a full time worker and students and it does teach you a lot about sales. You are gonna be become really good friends with your department, really chill atmosphere.

ConsManagement can be very demanding. Pay when I first started was 8.50 and half a year later they start people off with 9.50 and 10.00 and when I ask for a raise they don't give it to me. They tell me I have to wait a full year to go up to 9.50 maybe. The inconsistency with pay was what made me leave. They constantly make you take eLearnings and learn new useless information. Very hard company to move up in, a lot of butt kissing is involved.

Currently a Great Work Envirnment

Best Buy Mobile Sales Associate (Current Employee) Rochester, MN (US)

ProsThere is a lot of opportunity in this location. The leadership is regarded with authority and respected while the employees strive to achieve whatever goals are given to them. Department supervisor is very understanding.

ConsCurrently understaffed making the work load higher per employee. Some of the corperate dictated decisions seem to not fit well with this location.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'd recomend taking a little more time to consider what kinds of things you are truely willing to let slide that might be upsetting other employees

Able to build a big network with a lot of opportunity to grow.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThis is a fun place to work. You will enjoy meeting your new co-workers and their families. The employee discount is something that you love, you get huge discount on most of the items in the store.

ConsIts a very hard work-life balance, but that also depends on you who your GM is. The company values are something that most managers and employees live by. One of my favorites is "Have fun while being the best"

Great place to work at

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEveryone was very nice and supportive
    goals were not hard to meet
    always recognize their employees if they did an outstanding job that month

Conssome of the cons about working about best buy is how long the process from hiring to getting on the floor, and also, I was part-time, and would still get scheduled for 7-8 hour shifts

Fulfilling while it lasted

Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsThe associates are the best part about working at Best Buy, I've met amazing people and made great friendships. The employee discount is awesome.

ConsI've worked at a few stores and the leadership at every store isn't always its best. You have to deal with unfair leadership at certain stores.

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!