Best Buy

Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly

Hubert Joly

(1,312 ratings)

4,745 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Finally the employee discount is one of the best I have ever seen or heard of"
    in 585 reviews
  • "Most of the people know what they are talking about and fun to work with"
    in 100 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance only exists under quality General Management which is rare"
    in 133 reviews
  • "Difficult to obtain full-time position; schedules are made up to avoid risk of overtime"
    in 137 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

It was an awful and tedious job.

Best Buy Mobile Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Woodland Hills, CA (US)

I worked at Best Buy part-time for more than a year

Prosdiscount and many things to buy with it.

Conslong hours and low pay wages

Advice to Senior ManagementGet better management

Best Buy

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)
Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Best Buy full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat leadership and employee culture.

ConsSometimes the challenging landscape is too much for employees looking for a fast track for upper management.

Great environment and staff!

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Dublin, CA (US)

I worked at Best Buy part-time for more than a year

ProsYou work with some of the funnest co-workers and managers are really easy to work with when a situation occurs. They are understanding and are willing to help. You are put into a sales training program to prepare you for on the floor sales and it is helpful for any job after. Great benefits!

ConsWhen it is busy, you're going to be on your feet all day. When it is slow, you are going to be on your feet all day and time will go by very slow. You deal with customers and are encouraged to make sales.

Has its good days & bad days

Home Theater Sales Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Best Buy full-time for more than 3 years

Prospeople you work with are great. you get awesome discounts. learn about new products

Constoo much pressure selling services (installation, service plans, etc)

Advice to Senior Managementstop making the employees act like they work on commission

Great people, Hasty decisions made by corporate

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at Best Buy full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI loved the people and the fun environment. I grew up in Best Buy and will greatly miss it.

ConsToo many restructures and hard working tenured employees lose their jobs. No job security as a leader.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time in the stores before making a drastic restructure without understanding how minimizing leadership to a ridiculous amount will effect how the store is run.

Retail electronics customer service

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Cuyahoga Falls, OH (US)

I worked at Best Buy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLarge, stable company with ability to transfer to other locations and ample to grow and achieve promotions over time with effort. Nice to have an employee discount on large ticket items. Atmosphere is lively and upbeat.

ConsManagement often did not back up customer service workers. Push to sell warrantees on items was overbearing, especially for cashiers who don't get any direct benefit from doing so. Working busy holidays can be very stressful, as can angry customers who don't like store policies.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider working schedules so that workers get longer stretches of time off to avoid burn out. Back up return policies when they are posted or be very clear to customers that you are making an exception to a rule and the customer service rep was correct. NEVER make an exception for a customer who is verbally abusive to a customer service rep.

Good until they start to micromanage interactions

I have been working at Best Buy part-time

ProsThe people I work usually are pretty cool people and so is the management. Very down to earth people. The employee discount is great for a while but u find yourself spending alot because of it. Get to see the newest electronics and how they work and what they do. Fun atmosphere and you get bonuses each month if department hits goal.

ConsGetting people to cover one of your shifts can be a hassle. The pay is ok but for everything you have to know its not enough. Some employees that are in Home theater have to know, home theater, cameras, appliances, gaming, car audio, tvs, movies, music and now we are being trained in computer and tablets has well, so pretty much the entire store. Also family and friends keep trying to get stuff from you for a discount and it can get annoying.

Advice to Senior ManagementCoaching each interactions just makes the employee feel like crap and its starting to fell like Hubert is trying to micromanage every interaction with specific questions to ask on a worksheet.

Great Place to Learn

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Best Buy

ProsSTI, People, Learn new technologies, personal growth, compensation, lifelong friends, autonomy

ConsPolitics, work life balance, customer issues caused by antiquated company systems, old store using technology

Fun job for those passionate about technology!

Best Buy Mobile Lead (Current Employee)
San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Best Buy part-time for less than a year

ProsDecent pay, AWESOME employee discount, great possible short term and long term incentives.

ConsOccasional rude customers but that is just retail in general, slight zoning issues sometimes, retail hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand zoning issues.

I enjoy working for Best Buy.

I have been working at Best Buy

ProsIt is a fun atmosphere and I get paid well. The people that work at my store are good people. The district staff does a good job of supporting the stores.

ConsSometimes labor budgets are tight and employees do not get enough hours. There should be more time allocated for training new hire employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes labor budgets are tight and employees do not get enough hours. There should be more time allocated for training new hire employees.

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Best Buy reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly. All 4,745 reviews are posted anonymously by Best Buy employees.