Biogen Idec Reviews

266 reviews filtered by
3.9
Biogen Idec CEO and Director George A. Scangos
George A. Scangos

Pros
  • Has really good benefits, promotes work/life balance, recognizes good performers (in 25 reviews)

• Great benefits; really smart people that are great to work with (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of Leader communication, work-life balance non existent, un-realistic expectations (in 15 reviews)

• Upper management has lost touch with the common employees even though you are now located in Cambridge (in 12 reviews)

1. Great people and company going through a period of change

Former Employee - Senior Associate II in Maidenhead, England
    Former Employee - Senior Associate II in Maidenhead, England

I worked at Biogen Idec full-time

Pros

Fantastic people who are on the whole truly committed to what they are doing. There is real passion and desire to do the very best on most projects. Great workplace 'perks' such as free barista-style coffees and hot drinks, subsidised cantine and some great social events organised on site, such as free lunches once a month, fancy dress days and discounted cinema/theatre tickets.

Cons

The company is currently going through a period of huge growth, so is moving from a small biotech to a medium/large biotech and is experiencing all the usual teething problems associated with this- lots of new people and products but without the infrastructure or processes to properly support the growth mean that things can feel a bit chaotic and disorganised. Mentalities and behaviours are slowly changing however, and many of the new people are making great changes and helping to future-proof the organisation.

Advice to Management

Listen to/use the people you have spent such a long time hiring to get the very best out of them- some people have great ideas but they never come to fruition because they don't get the opportunity to work them through fully.

was a great company to work for ....

Former Employee - Director in Maidenhead, England
    Former Employee - Director in Maidenhead, England

I worked at Biogen Idec full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Focussed on driving products forward and stretching talent allowing for innovation. Good financial package for new hires, and for old hires, high share price is now reaping dividends.

Cons

Old hires not financially lifted in line with market when promoted leading to skewed salaries, as well as bias towards higher salaries for males. Company growing rapidly with many new products and hiring of poor leaders who indiscriminantly manage out once settled in order to have a secure seat - they hire in their friends with good remuneration. HR is notoriously poor in UK, to the point of being non-existent - they are just there to support senior management wishes, and thus cannot be trusted by employees. No recognition of results, and no fun at least on UK site due to poor leadership that bends to USA management. Company was GREAT, but no more under current management who are reaping the results sown by older colleagues.

Advice to Management

Stop being insecure, and live the values you advertise

3. Been working at Biogen for 5 years

Current Employee - Manager in Maidenhead, England
    Current Employee - Manager in Maidenhead, England

I have been working at Biogen Idec full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Highly competitive salary, good benefits, flexible working approach, some very nice people

Cons

Changing landscape, changing business model

5. Growth Opportunities only if you find them

I worked at Biogen Idec full-time

Pros

Great Pay
    Great Benefits
    Great Location/Buildings
    Generally Nice People
    Rewarding Work

Cons

HR controls all aspects of career opportunities. If you are an internal employee applying for a position, you will not get the same salary if you were applying as an external candidate. Almost at a disadvantage if you are internal. Too many high level positions, not enough junior/intermediate.

6. Hard work pays off here

I have been working at Biogen Idec

Pros

Great benefits. Great salary. Collaborative environment with culture that is focused on driving forward innovation.

Cons

From my own experience, there really aren't any. If you are willing to work hard and put in the time here you will reap the benefits of a rewarding acareer

7. Our Credo: "We are Honest and Truthful in all that we do"

Former Employee - Area Business Manager in Melbourne (Australia)
    Former Employee - Area Business Manager in Melbourne (Australia)

I worked at Biogen Idec full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good product pipeline, respected in MS specialty area, Above average salary and benefits, good reward program and work / life balance for Sales Reps

Cons

Too much change in Leadership team. Some directors are not honest and truthful as per the credo of the company and will lie to protect themselves. No support to help whistle blowers who are dedicated to the company's values. No respect for opinions of long standing employees. A bad egg in a powerful position can destroy the career of loyal and trusting employees and it seems that no one cares.

Advice to Management

Be careful who you appoint to Leadership positions, Non-Pharma background leaders do not understand this industry and may not follow the values and responsibility entrusted to them but will lie and use their power to protect themselves as I found.

8. Manufacturing multi-product material.

I have been working at Biogen Idec

Pros

Good benefits, company treats us well, Pay above average. Batch planning is well thought out.

Cons

None, at this time, don't wanna look a gift horse in the mouth.

Advice to Management

If people don't want to work and can't follow a few simple rules, document it and make it stick.

I loved the company until they decided to change my dept

I have been working at Biogen Idec full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, facilities, smart co-workers

Cons

Top heavy, lack of decision making, grew too fast, work life balance was once promoted but cannot anymore, people are not promoted based on merit, soft skills are more important than getting work done and fear of making decisions amongst ambiguity

Advice to Management

Major overhaul is needed for management. Decision making needs to be rewarded (give rewards for taking risk even more than what is done now), too many silos, you are experiencing new turnover due to burnout

10. I worked for Biogen Idec for 5 and a half years

Current Employee - Director in Weston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Weston, MA (US)

I have been working at Biogen Idec

Pros

Solid company with a CEO that should be credited for turning the company around. Biogen appears to be well managed - good stock price. Excellent benefits.

Cons

Not as transparent with employees as senior leaders believe.

Advice to Management

Increase transparency. HR could be more respectful of how it treats employees.

11. Very good firm to work with.

I have been working at Biogen Idec

Pros

Benefits, culture, pay, and emotional intelligence

Cons

I don't really have any

Biogen Idec Photos