Biogen Idec Reviews

Updated 19 September 2014
3.8

Biogen Idec CEO and Director George A. Scangos
George A. Scangos

Pros
  • Excellent benefits, culture, work-life balance (in 22 reviews)

• Great benefits; really smart people that are great to work with (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance, although they are working on it (just released Flexible Work programs) (in 13 reviews)

• Upper management has lost touch with the common employees even though you are now located in Cambridge (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Biogen Idec is a great place to work!

Current Employee - Data Entry Coordinator (Contract)  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Data Entry Coordinator (Contract) in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Biogen Idec as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Management at Biogen Idec truly cares about the success and happiness of their employees. The company has been growing rapidly for some time due to their continued success in the MS drug market. This is a pharma company with a conscience. They are working on several drugs for Hemophilia patients that will not make them any money! There is a great work/life balance at this company and many activities to take part in that are sponsored by Biogen Idec outside of work.

Cons

You absolutely must have a master's degree to get a full time position.

Keep up the good work! You are changing the lives of MS Patients globally!

Professional and established corporation

Former Employee - Intern  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Biogen Idec as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great structured company with many different teams and departments. Treats their employees well with stock options, benefits, company parties as well as many other perks. Strong oncology department with hard working people and good leadership.

Cons

Like many places, politics play a role in the type of projects that are available. Budgeting is determined by the higher ups and may not have the full input of the teams.

They won't let me in.

Former Employee - Senior Scientist  in  Research Triangle Park, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Scientist in Research Triangle Park, NC (US)

I worked at Biogen Idec as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Great work environment. Some departments make good use of people's strengths. I felt more involved, needed, respected, and valued while contracting at Biogen then I ever did any place else I've worked in 30+ years.

Cons

As a contractor I was left out of all the good things. The stock price went from $150/share to $292/share while I was there. Since I was a contractor...

Don't throw people out blindly.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great products, awful to employees

I have been working at Biogen Idec

Pros

Money is great, Benefits are excellent ans so is pension but...

Cons

No life and work balance. Management is narrow-minded with unrealistic demand.

Listen to your team.

Good place to build skills, then move on

Current Employee - Manufacturing Associate IV  in  Cambridge, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Associate IV in Cambridge, MA (US)

I have been working at Biogen Idec full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are good, very goal-oriented; no one cares how long you go for breaks, as long as you get the job done. Biogen-Idec is exemplary at picking talent at the operator level, I have worked with some very passionate and knowledgeable people whose work ethic is inspiring, and who have influenced me to become a better operator. BIogen-Idec is also a good place to start a biotech manufacturing career, due to great networking opportunities and adherence to cGMP's, which is critical to understand if you want to become a great contributor.

Cons

Unfortunately, Biogen-Idec is awful at picking talent in the management level; lower performers are constantly being promoted due to politicking and back-room dealings; most promotions announcements are met with shock and groans from the operators, even through there are very, very, very few exceptions. Management is very company-oriented and not employee-oriented; members of management are not judged by their superiors in knowledge and subordinate growth but simply bowing to their demands; and it seems that the supervisors most disliked by the operators are the ones getting promoted. Communication between night and day shifts is horrendous, with constant blame game playing and finger pointing when things go wrong.

Bonuses are so-so, pay is probably slightly below average compared to other companies I have worked.

You must recognize talent at the operator level and promote them accordingly; it is safe to say that the best on-floor performers have the best work ethic and possess the greatest amount of technical knowledge, which is critical in hiring effective managers and supervisors.

Marketing

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Biogen Idec full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

- pay
    - pipeline
    - some of the best products in the market

Cons

- management
    - work-life-balance
    - job security (constant fear of losing job if you do not do what management says)
    - retaliation

Take a long look at your 'middle' management. Many of them are great at managing up but not at actually managing people. Most do not have any past management experience before taking the job.

Decent company

I worked at Biogen Idec as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

Biogen Idec offers competitive pay, advancement opportunities, good benefits for employees, and they generally hire good talent.

Cons

Sad to see bottom line seemingly more important than employees, research, or patients.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Cambridge, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Cambridge, MA (US)

I have been working at Biogen Idec as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Great place to work, hours, location and no stress.

Cons

Being a contractor, pay, and open space.

Be more selective with whom they hire.

Contract scientist

Current Employee - Associate Scientist III  in  Cambridge, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Scientist III in Cambridge, MA (US)

I have been working at Biogen Idec as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Stimulating work, good employee atmosphere. Good monetary compensation.

Cons

Alienation of contractors from meetings and team building activities. For contractors: unpaid sick days, holidays and time off, as well as no health insurance, parking, shuttle, or retirement benefits. Have noticed that most employees and contractors are overworked and stretched out to their limits.

Include contractors more in meetings and leadership roles. Most contractors work as hard or harder than regular employees so some compensation is necessary.

Changing from Patient Services to a Call center environment

Current Employee - Case Manager  in  Durham, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Durham, NC (US)

I have been working at Biogen Idec full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The benefits are good. There is free soda, fruit on certain days, and donuts and muffins on Friday.

Cons

Office politics, micro managing, and lateral moves within the same department. I titled my review with that title because we we have never been a call center, but there are changes that will be taking place to make us just that. New management brings about new changes, and not for the better

Stop acting like you know the jobs of your subordinates, just because you made it into management. 90% of the Team Leads and Supervisors have no clue on how to do things that they used to do because they are so disconnected. Wearing titles is what they are good at, and what they are good for. Knowing how to help and resolve and issue doesn't take motivational interviewing, it takes a skill set in which they are out of touch with.

Worked for Biogen Idec? Contribute to the Community!