Black & Veatch Reviews

Updated 16 September 2014
Updated 16 September 2014
3.5

Steve Edwards

Pros
  • The company has good respect for work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• They have very good benefits and I received a fair compensation for my responsibilities (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • B&V management and leadership is so diabolically bad that the entire company is one giant mismanaged disaster (in 8 reviews)

• You can go to foreign assignment only if you kiss up to upper management (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company

Current Employee - Senior Engineer  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Black & Veatch full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Well paid senior management. No blame culture.

Cons

No opportunities for career progression

Increase the salary

GIS Specialist

I have been working at Black & Veatch

Pros

They don't expect a lot from a graduates

Cons

Small team, little training, no conditioning in the office

Overall positive experience

I worked at Black & Veatch

Pros

Variety of opportunities and roles

Cons

Travel, some people managers not very people oriented

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Internship at Black & Veatch

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineering Inter  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineering Inter in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Black & Veatch as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Black & Veatch does a great job at giving employees options when they are hired on. During the first two years, the company rotates you to different divisions within the business; Energy, Water, Telecom, etc. When the employee finds a division that suites them best, they can further explore within the division. Black & Veatch really wants the employees to enjoy where they work so the employee can be effective and efficient.

Cons

During my time as an intern the company came off as very divided between engineering and construction. Pointing fingers became a daily occurrence. Not that other companies will not do this, but I found it to be excessive and distracting during work.

As an intern I really enjoyed going to field assignments. Even if it took two weeks to get my feet under me, the experience was valuable and gave a good representation of what work was like at job sites. I believe more interns could have benefited more from seeing the job site.
    There are many (~50) interns each summer and it's easy to get classified as a typical intern. The program is well constructed and thought through, but it makes you feel like your on a conveyor belt. I wish the interviews and updates were less regimented.

Solid Company to work for.

Current Employee - Engineering Manager  in  Overland Park, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Overland Park, KS (US)

I have been working at Black & Veatch full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Black & Veatch is a well established engineering company. Their brand is based on providing high quality projects. I've worked there for 16 years in the Energy Division. B&V has good pay, a good bonus program and a good stock ownership program. They have a wide variety of technical specialists with extensive experience in many areas. Their health care is costly compared to other firms, but is a full service package. B&V Energy has a group dedicated to training, although like any firm, they struggle some with the delivery of technical training. The people are friendly, and generally concerned about doing the right thing for our projects and our clients. Management seems to care about employee concerns. B&V is a global organization- with many opportunities for multi-cultural experiences. They execute a wide variety of project work in multiple industries.

Cons

B&V is a large company with a bureaucracy that can be difficult to navigate. They have very experienced managers. However growth beyond the engineering discipline can be difficult due to the number of managers already in place. Career growth is available within the engineering disciplines. There is a tendency to pigeon hole individuals once they have demonstrated competence in a single area.
    They emphasize training- but have a training delivery problem in that they aren't able to devote the resources required to formally publish and distribute key technical training. They are working to improve this.
    They tend not to drive career growth- but expect employees to drive the growth themselves. This works ok- but can be really difficult when tranisioning between business lines or divisions.

Provide more opportunities for growth outside of one's specialty.
    Recognize and reward good performance with added responsability.
    Provide the necessary investment to improve training delivery mechanisms.

Challenged to adapt to consulting business

Former Employee - Manager  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Black & Veatch full-time for more than a year

Pros

A good solid engineering company. Capable, experienced personnel.

Cons

Does not understand the consulting business.
    I came in as part of an acquisition. B&V did not take advantage of what our firm brought - was not able to leverage the expertise and brand to help build its consulting business.

To successfully move into management consulting, need to adapt practices and policies including sales and pricing.

Civil structural technician

Current Employee - Engineering Technician  in  Ann Arbor, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Ann Arbor, MI (US)

I have been working at Black & Veatch full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours are nice, most of the other professionals are friendly and always willing to help. Decent benefits. Clean safe area Ann Arbor is a safe city lots of restaurants close by.

Cons

Office is super outdated ergonomics suck! Technology isn't too bad. Chances of advancement are slim even if you bust your butt. Pay is crappy raises are small. Ann Arbor gets treated like a step child annual reviews are a joke and seem staged with no real information. No profit sharing for the people working in the trenches. No lunch room... Seriously? It's 2014 get with the times.

Ya wonder why it's hard to retain younger employees... Share the wealth with everyone not just line the pockets of upper level employees. I feel like a number.

Descent Experience in telecom

Former Employee - Project Controls Analyst  in  Paramus, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Project Controls Analyst in Paramus, NJ (US)

I worked at Black & Veatch as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Family environment, Ability to be flipped from contract to full time, when they do promote they will promote from within, employee owned company, pay is actually pretty good.

Cons

As is with most companies the chance to advance are slim to none, I didn't agree with the concept of hiring family members. Offers little to no training,

Find more clients instead of relying on one, Find more training tools for the employees.

Excellent

Current Employee - Project Facilitaor
    Current Employee - Project Facilitaor

I have been working at Black & Veatch full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people that want to help you to grow

Cons

Standing desks and more options to excerise would be nice. If you dont have your health you really dont want to work

Continue to be a great employer that creates a positive atmoshere and growth.

review

I have been working at Black & Veatch full-time

Pros

Good Benefits and Pay, nice people

Cons

very conservative stable growth focused on the bottom line

Worked for Black & Veatch? Contribute to the Community!