Black & Veatch

www.bv.com

Black & Veatch Reviews

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Steve Edwards

Pros
  • The company has good respect for work-life balance(in 8 reviews)

• They have very good benefits and I received a fair compensation for my responsibilities(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • B&V management and leadership is so diabolically bad that the entire company is one giant mismanaged disaster(in 8 reviews)

• You can go to foreign assignment only if you kiss up to upper management(in 8 reviews)

GIS Specialist

ProsThey don't expect a lot from a graduates

ConsSmall team, little training, no conditioning in the office

Wonderful learning experience, with a bright future to come.

ProsBig Company with room to move. YPDP program seems promising, and the future will tell. The company is in many different markets to please what you really are interested in. As an intern you are treated well. They have plenty of people willing to help you when difficulties appear.

ConsThe hiring process took time, as it does with any large engineering firm. I see many people in the company getting stuck in the position that they are in, and like anything in life experience rules over education. Telecom in general is a tough market to work in.

Intern at Black & Veatch

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsVery friendly office atmosphere. Co-workers and engineers are all willing to help. Got to work on various projects.

ConsAs an intern, you don't get all the management level details and changes. But I assume that is true for most companies.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome Work Environment

Administrative Assist (Former Employee)

ProsFun job with lots of perks. Everyone got along really well and that made everything run smoothly. I really hated to leave.

ConsVery ethnically diverse group (good thing) which sometimes make communication difficult. I truly have nothing negative to say about the Ca. office I worked at. However, I understand from former co-workers, that the Overland Park office was stiflingly depressing and the morale was very low.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt my old office, no advice. At Overland Park, treat your employees with respect and they will work that much harder. A happy employee is a productive employee.

Brilliant people, interesting projects

Renewable Energy Consultant (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsEveryone I worked with was very smart, competent and friendly. The company has good respect for work-life balance. Because many employees stay around for decades, they really care about your well being.

ConsIt's a big company and sometimes it's bureaucratic. Also, when I worked there you only got 10 days PTO + national holidays.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your younger employees to get a better sense for what they need in terms of compensation and growth opportunities.

opinion

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgood pay for a contract employee

Consjob not secure
    stressful work environment
    poor management
    no reward for hard work

Good company with deep roots

ProsIf you're a motivated, self-starter and you work hard, you definitely get rewarded. There are really great opportunities if you're interested in working abroad and they're supportive of training and continuing education.

ConsOverall benefits are good, but compensation isn't great. Some technology upgrades have occurred, but I think we have a long way to go to catch up with some of the more innovative companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure to keep your finger on the pulse.

Great Opportunity and great experience

ProsGreat Benefit package for all employess

ConsYou do not get a lot of training

A great design engineering and construction firm!

A Former Division Director (Former Employee) Kansas City Suburban Acreage, MO (US)

ProsB&V is known *primarily* for its design engineering and construction services to the public utilities industries. It's an outstanding firm for anyone who wants to build a career in those *and related* industries.

There are many other career opportunities within B&V, but one *must* be mindful of the firm's primary focus and vector.

ConsOne must almost certainly have P. E. following one's name! Sans that, one must be braced to settle for a second best career.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course, as Mr. Veatch and his founding Partners did.

Company as a whole has such a great reputation. Cerritos telecommunications office really ruins that reputation.

Anonymous (Current Employee) Cerritos, CA (US)

ProsNot many pros. Got a work laptop on my first day, but that is pretty standard for all jobs nowadays.

Cons1. No training whatsoever. Promised an sop in order to become acquainted with the terminology and processes. Never received sop.
    2. Supervisor is not helpful and does not want anyone to grow intellectually. When asked for more work, she/he will not delegate any work to me and instead treats me as if I am uneducated and slow.
    3. 8 out of the 9 hours I am here, I have nothing to do.
    4. Whole office is extremely unprofessional. I hear swearing and racial remarks on a daily basis.
    5. Very uneducated office. From the people I have met, they have no desire to further themselves in their career or education.
    6. Have talked to several people in the office who have similar feelings to mine.
    7. Very poorly managed.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more acquainted with what is going on in the office. A majority of employees, including myself are frustrated with how the office is being run.

Worked for Black & Veatch? Contribute to the Community!