Black & Veatch
www.bv.com Leawood, KS 5000+ Employees

Black & Veatch Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Steve Edwards

Pros:
  • "Most departments have flexible schedules (9-80 work weeks) and allow for a good work life balance"
    in 6 reviews
  • "They have very good benefits and I received a fair compensation for my responsibilities"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "B&V management and leadership is so diabolically bad that the entire company is one giant mismanaged disaster"
    in 8 reviews
  • "You can go to foreign assignment only if you kiss up to upper management"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

An awesome learning and mutually beneficial association

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Black & Veatch full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCompany has very high standards of Ethics and Compliance. Very strong on Values. Definitely Safety is the first criteria to be considered above all. Lot of growth opportunities within the organization but to specific group of people and many others may find it otherwise. Excellent work culture. No wonder professionals have been continuing for so many years with the Organization. I worked for just 7 years.

ConsTop management may not be aware of all the happenings outside of US. Definitely the work culture and the way of doing business is fast changing with new senior management people hired in many locations outside US. Company wants to grow and expand but at what costs? Doesn't care for senior professionals who have worked with the company for so many years, Management easily lets them go. There's nothing wrong in growth and bringing a change but will that be sustainable. I don't think anyone thinks about the knowledge bank and sustainable growth of the Organization anymore. High time for Top management to wake up and get involved in business outside US.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease don't be satisfied with the reasoning from Senior Management outside of US for all the policies, procedures and happenings but try and seek feedback from the middle level and other relevant professionals outside of US.

Good experience with Black & Veatch

Quality Manager (Former Employee)
Overland Park, KS (US)

I worked at Black & Veatch full-time for more than 5 years

ProsDiverse workforce, flexible schedule and growth potential is absolute

ConsWith a diverse workforce comes diverse personalities. The only time that this causes a problem is if your boss doesn't care for yours.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate your real agenda, so your staff may support you better.

Variety of work is high and I work with highly skilled professionals.

Environmental Scientist (Current Employee)
Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Black & Veatch full-time for more than a year

ProsVariety of work, possibility of working in a variety of locations around the world.

ConsWorkload is greatly variable during a typical year.

Overall, a good company to work for.

Senior Engineering Technician (Former Employee)
Orlando, FL (US)

I worked at Black & Veatch full-time for more than 10 years

ProsVery financially healthy and highly respected engineering consulting firm. Local office culture and work environment in Central Florida is a good one to work in. Local management is respectful to its employees.

ConsCorporate management is out of touch with individuals in the branch offices. Training opportunities and implementation are sub-par at best for those working outside of the corporate offices. Unfortunately, this company is in the habit of laying off many of its senior employees. They are more concerned with the bottom line that their employees well being.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsult with local office management to get a true idea of the value and contribution of is senior employees, instead of allowing the bean counters to cull the workforce by simply chopping off their higher paid intellectual talent.

Very Good Learning Experience

Electrical Engineer (Former Employee)
Ann Arbor, MI (US)

I worked at Black & Veatch as an intern for less than a year

Prosget to learn the technical prospects in power systems

ConsRather than it is a good learning experience you get paid very less.

Review for Expeditor

Expeditor (Current Employee)
Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Black & Veatch as a contractor for less than a year

ProsA very enjoyable work experience

ConsDifficult sometimes to obtain pertinent information

Competitive with Industry Standards... Mostly

Civil Engineer II (Current Employee)
Overland Park, KS (US)

I have been working at Black & Veatch full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSome of the benefits.
Flexibility of work hours.

ConsThe benefits are not consistent across the board for all job families. Even though B&V is employee owned, employee's are not eligible for the annual incentive plan (AIP) until they reach a certain job level, unlike the employee owned competition. Many job titles/levels have limited sick leave but others do not.
Business casual work attire is ok, but it would be better if we were allowed to "dress for your day" so those who actually have meeting with management or clients can come in business wear as needed and those of us who never have higher level meetings can come to work and be comfortable.
The technology, work station equipment, and everything else that should make your job easier is always behind.
The Telecom division does not offer the 9/80 schedule and is slow to "roll over" their contract professionals to be core employees.
Professionals are expected to provide their own PPE's that are required beyond a hard hat, ear plugs, a reflective vest, and basic safety glasses (i.e. boots and prescription safety glasses are your out-of-pocket responsibility).
Employee-owned, but you only get the perks if you are at or above a certain job level.
They are slow to adjust your job title when you reach experience milestones (like obtaining your P.E. license or after so many years on the job). Which in turn affects your eligibility for the AIP.
The performance review process is a joke. You pick who you solicit feedback from, so of course everyone will pick friends who will give them a good review. Then, to top it off, no matter what anyone says about you or how well you do the work, it's virtually impossible to receive a "1" rating (out of 3). It's more about who you know. This makes it hard for people to want to be the best they can be since they will never be rewarded for their hard work at the end of the year. It's like B&V strives for being... mediocre.
The Telecom division department heads do not allow uncompensated personal time unless there are extreme conditions and you have already used your vacation time, even if the work load at the time is slow.
You are expected to train yourself.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not say we are "competitive with industry standards" unless you are willing to back up that claim with specific examples about where we stand vs. what our competition offers.
Show some goodwill and at least make a counter offer to the stellar employees who are leaving for other companies. We've lost several key team members who would have stayed if B&V had actually been "competitive with industry standards."
Take the time and make resources available to actually invest in training both new and experienced professionals.

Great company and great people.

Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee)
Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Black & Veatch full-time for more than a year

ProsStable firm with ongoing projects in many sectors..

ConsAt times can be very corporate structured.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep everyone in the loop on projects since many are nationally and globally dispursed.

Nice company for leaders

Structural Engineer (Current Employee)
Pune (India)

I have been working at Black & Veatch full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat bunch of people working at top.

ConsYou need to be pro-active in your development or else you will be side tracked quickly.

Incredibly proficient with energy engineering infrastructure processes

Mechanical Engineer I (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Black & Veatch full-time for less than a year

ProsEmployee owned, profit sharing, schedule flexibility, access to broad range of company talents, high potential for career development and advancement, overtime eligibility.

ConsCumbersome corporate processes can make acquiring new software or implementing process improvements difficult, reducing flexibility and slowing response time to business opportunities

Worked for Black & Veatch? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Black & Veatch reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Black & Veatch CEO Steve Edwards. All 150 reviews are posted anonymously by Black & Veatch employees.