Blockbuster Reviews

Updated 21 April 2015
712 reviews filtered by
Blockbuster President Michael Kelly
Michael Kelly

Pros
  • Great weekly benefits with 10 free rentals a week (in 189 reviews)

• We got ten free movies per week which was a great perk (in 160 reviews)

Cons
  • Unrealistic expectations, upper management out of touch with what the customer wanted (in 47 reviews)

• unrealistic sales goals, upper management micro managed too much (in 33 reviews)

1. run of the mill part time job

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Durham, England
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Durham, England

I worked at Blockbuster part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly, welcoming environment, with a close knit team. The chance to interact with customers on a regular basis was rewarding.

Cons

From my personal experience, my manager was lazy and despite numerous complaints from staff the district manager did not seem interested in fixing the situation.
    The ability to further yourself was almost non-existent which meant there was a high turnover of staff as members left in pursuit of better opportunities.

2. Aberdeen Store was Acceptable - Dundee Store was a Nightmare

Former Employee - Customer Sales Representative in Dundee, Scotland
    Former Employee - Customer Sales Representative in Dundee, Scotland

I worked at Blockbuster part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Evening and weekend hours suit students well, or those with daily commitments
     - Pay is average to ok for the industry
     - Subject matter is interesting, movies, games etc
     - Non-physically demanding work
     - Lack of manager on most shifts gives a better chance to bond with co-workers

Cons

- Terrible bureaucratic processes within HR
     - HR in name but nothing else
     - Failing company not willing to change or adapt to new policies
     - Far too rigid in dictating how staff interact with customers
     - Staff support from corporate is non-existent, store managers are given incredible arbitrary powers and are sided with over employees every time.
     - Staff are seen as highly expendable, which to an extent is true, but this mentality clearly pervades the hiring and firing process
     - They changed my job title subtly during my employment from Customer SERVICE Representative, to Customer SALES Representative - and then brought in a host of new reforms designed to turn us into salesman rather than service providers.

I felt pushed out the door for the last year of my work, simply because I filed a grievance with my manager. A manager that would come in early to watch the CCTV tapes when I was on shift, trying to pick up any little detail of my wrong doing (which was non-existent).

I was eventually fired in 2011 for forgetting to correctly scan through a bottle of water I had drunk on shift, due to being incredibly busy at that point. Realising my mistake after clothing I came in the next day with the correct change and a large apology, only to be told to leave - I was suspended. After a long drawn out suspension of nearly 2 months, I was summarily dismissed.

Advice to Management

Give front line employees far more confidence. My sales always increased when given minor freedoms to interact and chat with customers. Repeat business is essential in a failing industry. Realise that you cannot compete on price or convenience anymore, and that service is all you have.

I have had a very uneven managerial experience. My first was tremendous, and this was clearly down to her years as a CSR, and so she understood our role and our point of view far better. Outside hires cannot and do not relate to front line staff.

Diversify, and re-think your business model or expect to fail dramatically in the next few years. Staff are in exodus, and frankly given that you are a service company now it is ironic in the extreme your narrowest focus is on the human resources of the business.

3. Great fun

Current Employee - Customer Services Representative in London, England
    Current Employee - Customer Services Representative in London, England

I have been working at Blockbuster

Pros

Great fun
    Loads of free rentals
    You gain lots of knowledge on films and tv
    Flexible with shifts and pay more on bank holidays
    Great if you're a student or need a part time job as they do evening shifts
    Great for meeting like minded people

Cons

Pay is quite low
    Hours are in shifts

Advice to Management

Keep up the good communication about the business strategy

5. Hardwork and Social Skills

I worked at Blockbuster part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Getting to try all the new movies. Also giving people movie reviews and ideas on movies to rent.

Cons

There system is flawed I had a hard time understanding there systems,

6. Assistant Manager

I worked at Blockbuster part-time

Pros

Friendly customers, fun sales quotas

Cons

Poor management, always changing, unstable

Advice to Management

Wish they had worked on more training programs besides in-front-of-the-computer training

7. For an entry level position it was one if the best jobs ever.

I worked at Blockbuster part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You're working at a video store!

Cons

Closing at midnight was tough.

8. WAS ok.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative/Cashier in Gahanna, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative/Cashier in Gahanna, OH (US)

I worked at Blockbuster full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good pay at the time. free rentals. I had good coworkers.

Cons

Toward the end of their business life they started required us to sign people for dish network. We had a quota and we would get written up for our lack of numbers. Also we had to up sale hard with candy and popcorn bundles. Which wasn't bad at first but then are are customers got nasty fast. The computers used DOS, it took forever to sign people up, which took time in which everyone got upset.

Advice to Management

None now. They are all out of business. Which reflects on how their company was run.

9. Greta company

I worked at Blockbuster

Pros

Awesome benefits and exciting industry. There were many changes and lay offs towards the end because of the competition in the industry. One of the best jobs I ever had up to date!

Cons

The office culture was ok for the most part. I really don't have anything negative to say as everyone worked as a team. Only have the best memories working at the corporate office.

10. A terrible company

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bloomington, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bloomington, MN (US)

I worked at Blockbuster part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The perks of Blockbuster were the rentals and the easiness of the job. Most of what you do is stock, returns, and rental transactions.

Cons

The upper management of Dish Network clearly did not know how to run a video rental store. They had unrealistic sales goals, considering the majority of customers were regulars. Regulars aren't going to buy the monthly pass ten times a month. Eventually tried to get stores to sell Dish Network. People don't want to be assaulted about their cable when they go to rent a movie, and again, the regulars made up the majority of our customer base, so of course they got annoyed when we had to ask them every single time.

Advice to Management

Clearly, Blockbuster Stores didn't work. Next time you take over a company, try to keep it separate from Dish, and then maybe you can focus on running it how it should be run. Also, hire management from within the company.

11. Customer rep

I worked at Blockbuster

Pros

Easy and fun at times

Cons

Bad hours, candy bundles sales we're way too important, outdated computer software,

Advice to Management

Find a way to beat out redbox