Blockbuster

Blockbuster Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Blockbuster President Michael Kelly

Michael Kelly

Pros
  • Great weekly benefits with 10 free rentals a week(in 182 reviews)

• We got ten free movies per week which was a great perk(in 152 reviews)

Cons
  • Unrealistic expectations, upper management out of touch with what the customer wanted(in 46 reviews)

• unrealistic sales goals, upper management micro managed too much(in 31 reviews)

Aberdeen Store was Acceptable - Dundee Store was a Nightmare

Customer Sales Representative (Former Employee) Dundee, Scotland

Pros- Evening and weekend hours suit students well, or those with daily commitments
     - Pay is average to ok for the industry
     - Subject matter is interesting, movies, games etc
     - Non-physically demanding work
     - Lack of manager on most shifts gives a better chance to bond with co-workers

Cons- Terrible bureaucratic processes within HR
     - HR in name but nothing else
     - Failing company not willing to change or adapt to new policies
     - Far too rigid in dictating how staff interact with customers
     - Staff support from corporate is non-existent, store managers are given incredible arbitrary powers and are sided with over employees every time.
     - Staff are seen as highly expendable, which to an extent is true, but this mentality clearly pervades the hiring and firing process
     - They changed my job title subtly during my employment from Customer SERVICE Representative, to Customer SALES Representative - and then brought in a host of new reforms designed to turn us into salesman rather than service providers.

I felt pushed out the door for the last year of my work, simply because I filed a grievance with my manager. A manager that would come in early to watch the CCTV tapes when I was on shift, trying to pick up any little detail of my wrong doing (which was non-existent).

I was eventually fired in 2011 for forgetting to correctly scan through a bottle of water I had drunk on shift, due to being incredibly busy at that point. Realising my mistake after clothing I came in the next day with the correct change and a large apology, only to be told to leave - I was suspended. After a long drawn out suspension of nearly 2 months, I was summarily dismissed.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive front line employees far more confidence. My sales always increased when given minor freedoms to interact and chat with customers. Repeat business is essential in a failing industry. Realise that you cannot compete on price or convenience anymore, and that service is all you have.

I have had a very uneven managerial experience. My first was tremendous, and this was clearly down to her years as a CSR, and so she understood our role and our point of view far better. Outside hires cannot and do not relate to front line staff.

Diversify, and re-think your business model or expect to fail dramatically in the next few years. Staff are in exodus, and frankly given that you are a service company now it is ironic in the extreme your narrowest focus is on the human resources of the business.

Great fun

Customer Services Representative (Current Employee) London, England

ProsGreat fun
    Loads of free rentals
    You gain lots of knowledge on films and tv
    Flexible with shifts and pay more on bank holidays
    Great if you're a student or need a part time job as they do evening shifts
    Great for meeting like minded people

ConsPay is quite low
    Hours are in shifts

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good communication about the business strategy

Loved working with all the movie fans.

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Huntington Beach, CA (US)

ProsGreat friends, great customers. I loved the atmosphere and talking about movies and games all day.

ConsYou can't please everyone all the time so you do your best and give a smile.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has always been great to me.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fulfilling

Key Holder (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsThe free weekly movie rentals

ConsHiring of high school students that really don't want to work in the first place

Advice to Senior ManagementShow up and really manage employees

Lots of movies and conversations with fun people

Customer Services Representative (Former Employee) Scottsdale, AZ (US)

ProsIt's a relaxing place to work and you're kept updated about movies. We got ten free movies per week which was a great perk. My coworkers were fun to talk to and work with!

ConsThe pay is pretty low, and we constantly had to upsell candy to customers, which got old pretty fast

Fun. Interactive. A little archaic with the computer systems. However, they encourage producing great customer service.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsThey provide 10 free movie rentals every week so you can speak with your customers with prime movie knowledge. They emphasize great customer service and have great company values. They allow for personal growth within the company for those who are meant to have leadership roles.

ConsThe company is disintegrating and is not longer relevant in most cities. They either need to learn a new marketing strategy or risk losing all their profits.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet with the times and create a system similar to Netflix or Hulu with competitive pricing.

Store Manager

Store Manager (Former Employee) Abington, PA (US)

ProsGreat co-workers & wonderful employees

ConsHorrible corporate management & sales vultures

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't do it

Front desk

Team Lead (Current Employee) Wheat Ridge, CO (US)

ProsSurrounded by movies, customers enjoyed selecting movies, fun easy job for a kid, not too much pressure, enjoyed reviewing free movies

ConsCompany went bankrupt, there are no more jobs, customers hated late fees and would argue about them, hard push to sell a overpriced movie pass

Review of Blockbuster Management

Store Manager (Former Employee) Saint Peters, MO (US)

ProsFree Movie Rentals
    Semi-flexible work hours

ConsNo personal growth and upward movement within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementI worked at Blockbuster at the beginning of the Bankruptcy. Upper management was putting all the pressure for store performance. They wanted "clerks" to become sales associates and throwing everything at us at a moments notice to see if something new stuck. When my district manager got a new job, I knew it was time to start looking.

An energetic and positive, part time work environment.

Four Star Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

Pros- I had positive interactions with both of my managers.
    - You work closely with management staff as a customer service representative. If you are dedicated to customers and on time for work, you will be respected by management.
    - The retail store atmosphere is inviting and friendly.

Cons- Often times, inventory nights in the store were long, sometimes taking up to four hours with 4-5 people working. Inventory could not be completed before store closing, which was 12:00 am.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnfortunately, the location I worked at closed down. I left the position and location voluntarily for another job, one year prior to its closing date. I know the managers were made aware of the possible closing very well in advance. The management staff was honest and upfront with employees and I hope this continues in their future.

Worked for Blockbuster? Contribute to the Community!