Bloomingdale's Reviews

Updated 27 August 2014

2.8

Bloomingdale's CEO Tony Spring
Tony Spring

Pros
  • Employee Discount if you can afford to buy anything on your meager poverty-level salary (in 62 reviews)

• Great discount and Bloomingdale's looks great on your resume (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • Huge disconnect between salaried management and commissioned sales associates (in 40 reviews)

• Reviews are primarily based on credit card applications taken and not on actual service (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

Great People at Bloomingdale's

Former Employee - Sku Set-up Analyst  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Sku Set-up Analyst in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Full Benefits, Good Salary, Good People. I had a good time with Bloomingdale's. This famous company allowed me to build lasting personal relationships.

Cons

My only little gripe was that is was very politically correct. That is not like me, I am much too independent minded an slightly old fashioned, conservative if you please!

I would say there is little advice to management. They do an excellent job overall. They pay great attention to benefits, work-life balance and company values. No complaints here.

No regrets. Live and learn. For retail, it wasn't bad.

I worked at Bloomingdale's

Pros

I have worked retail for a long time and this was my favorite team I have ever worked with. I miss them so much.

For retail, it was pretty good. Great vendor seminars and sometimes even free product.

I actually respect how unlike other retailers, Bloomingdales values a college education enough to only promote from within if you have a bachelors.

Great assortment, great discount, and most managers in the downtown San Francisco store are high quality experienced people.

Cons

Very political back door politics. My divisional was notorious for firing anyone just because he didn't like them as a person and didn't want to work with them anymore. That is not respectable, and it should never have employers in fear,

Draw vs commission is beneficial to them, but very horrifying for employees who slave away making a 2500 sale and then having their hard work ripped out of their wallet when they finally have a day off. All of their competitors pay that way though, so that one will unfortunately never change. I finally left retail altogether and I work for an amazing fashion startup that provides lunch, holiday parties on yahts and sporting events! And unlike Bloomingdales and other retailers, they invest in their people and promote from within. They love upward climb and they are all about trusting their employees to be supervisors before burning out from 800 years of experience. I get every Sunday off. Leaving was a great choice .

Invest and you will not have turnover. Make it a place people refuse to leave or else they will always seek to do better.

Great place to work. They offer competitive pay, benefits and discounts. Professional environment.

Former Employee - Manager  in  Newport Coast, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Newport Coast, CA (US)

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good communication between management team. Supportive, healthy interaction between management team on all levels. All team members seemed to be invested in the company.

Cons

A lot of restructuring from year to year. Could use a technology and applications update, some reporting systems are very outdated.

Overall good experience and culture. Make managers jobs easier by investing in reporting software and local store operators. It can be difficult to reach people when calling into the store. Also would benefit the company to place greater emphasis on service.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Pay to start out and a family vibe for employees

I have been working at Bloomingdale's

Pros

Intimate co worker relations, meaning its like a family, lots of charity work and great discounts, good vacation time

Cons

They pay well up front but then don't give room for greater growth in raises

There needs to be more room for pay raises with promotions

it was a good experience I sold fur so it was quite different than a regular sales position.

I have been working at Bloomingdale's

Pros

Great Money With Commission.
    Great discounts and specials given to employees.

Cons

Many factors influence the fur industry weather being a main component.
    I worked part-time and the requirements that I witnessed of the full-time employees were very very high.

Terrific

Former Employee - Recovery  in  Short Hills, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Recovery in Short Hills, NJ (US)

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time for more than a year

Pros

My co-workers were great, I loved the discounts and getting paid every week. Paid vacations and most of my co-workers were very professional. The vendors were always very nice and gave sales associates free gifts.

Cons

Very limited room for growth in some departments. That is really the only con in my opinion working for Bloomingdales and that all depends on which department you work for.

My advice for management would be to keep up the good work

Holiday help

I worked at Bloomingdale's as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Easy tasks helpful team good wage

Cons

early morning hours no room for growth

clean up warehouse

An up and down experience

Former Employee - Sales Professional Women's Shoes  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Professional Women's Shoes in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Potential for high income if in a commission based department. Diverse workforce. Edited fashion assortment that reflects the latest trends. Opportunities to learn about and sell from all areas of the store are encouraged and education and training in those areas are regularly provided. Work-life balance depends on the associate.

Cons

Political. If you are in favor you're protected. If you're not, good luck! Very high turn rate. Very 'event driven' with sales every other week; this causes gross fluctuations in income. High performers and good employees are held to a higher standard, often causing burnout, while 'middle of the road' associates are allowed to skate by: this encourages an environment where it pays off not to care and do the minimum for the greatest personal gain. Very little management supervision. Higher producing associates are encouraged, and almost expected, to come in on days off or work extra hours to meet departmental or event goals.

Stop with the cheerleaders and look for the true leaders within management and on the sales floor. Hold everyone within a department to equal standards, goals and expectations and then enforce by being present and managing. Don't lean on your superstar managers and associates so hard that they burn out and stop caring.

Great Place To Work!

Current Employee - Stock Associate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Stock Associate in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Bloomingdale's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pay is descent for what the job is, opportunity for growth and movement around the company. You meet a lot of great people.

Cons

Some of the store hours are kind of nonsense. Also, basically required to work every single holiday. Sometimes getting work if is hard due to their policy of 3 week in advance scheduling.

Company

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Boca Raton, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Boca Raton, FL (US)

I have been working at Bloomingdale's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company, friendly co workers.

Cons

hr at my location was iffy. Was unsure of what they wanted out of the employees and had no goals.

Let your workers have more control. Empower your workers.

Worked for Bloomingdale's? Contribute to the Community!