Blount International Reviews

Updated 24 March 2015
28 reviews filtered by
Joshua L. (Josh) Collins

1. Could be a great place!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukie, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukie, OR (US)

I worked at Blount International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Huge cafeteria. Huge and modern workout room. Great team of people.

Cons

My direct manager was really nice, and very helpful. Unfortunately, s/he isn't the type of person one can share stuff with. S/he redirected it and attempted to relate a personal view or story.

Advice to Management

Share the 'me' time. Really listen to your subordinates. Play nice.

2. Not Too Bad

I worked at Blount International (More than 3 years)

Pros

The environment is pretty good, and the most of the people are very caring and friendly. Compensation is OK. Most people who work there care very much about the company as well as the people they work with.

Cons

Business model is not sustainable. The competitors who are in front of them are getting further ahead, and the competitors behind them are quickly catching up.
    Senior Leadership is letting second level management ruin morale and a positive working environment.
    It has been said by said management that "This is NOT a democracy" and they have well demonstrated that by ignoring the decisions of others despite having been given "authority" to make said decisions. There is only one way or the highway at this company right now, and that way is very scary.

Advice to Management

Let people do their jobs!

3. Ok enough, but limited advancement opportunities

I worked at Blount International

Pros

Solid, regular work, good benefits, open to improvement and change. Good working culture with a desire to meet and exceed goals.

Cons

Management can be rigid and often misunderstand feedback as complaints. There is not much room for advancement unless you curry a lot of favor for years. Even with a combination of experience and education, you are likely to be passed over.

Advice to Management

Recognize talent when you have it and cultivate that.

Very sad

Former Employee - Manager in Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at Blount International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A global company with a lot of potential, a lot of great talent throughout the organization, one of the best Continuous Improvement programs I have witnessed in the industry, the CEO (Josh Collins) leads by example and takes the time to know every employee.

Cons

While the rest of the company is positioned to succeed, Blount's supply chain is struggling. Horrible hiring practices has led to filling management positions based entirely on "feel" and not solid education / skills / experience. The morale in the supply chain is the lowest seen at any company I have worked for. Communication is nonexistent and favoritism is played on a daily basis. They have lost a lot of good talent this year due to the ignorance of poor leadership and poor project execution.

Advice to Management

Effective Communication and Change Management will do wonders.

6. Very good place to work

Current Employee - Leadership
    Current Employee - Leadership

I have been working at Blount International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Quality of the place and structure to work (equipments, tools, etc), people relationship, listen people

Cons

Resistance to change, long term employees consider too much changes in place.

Advice to Management

Keep on track to assure the future of the company. Give more empowerment to leaders and remember to consider cultural differences between countries

7. Blount cares and listens to their employees.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at Blount International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I feel engaged and my opinion matters. Our CEO, Josh Collins is engaged and leads with humility. I like that we are focused on continuous improvement and strive to create a cohesive global team. There is great communication within the organization. I really enjoy attending our Kaizen report outs every week and I like that these are video conferenced globally and recorded, and that all employees are invited and encouraged to attend.

Cons

I do not have anything I don't like at Blount.

Advice to Management

Continue to engage with your employees and listen to our opinions. Keep the lines of communication open.

Keep looking, this is not a place for long term growth unless your a gluten for punishment!

Current Employee - Manager in Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at Blount International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

pay, and good people below Vp level

Cons

All Management should be retrained on ethics and emotional intelligence. This company has done a terrible job in the past 12 months at hiring above the Vp level. They have hired from companies that are known for their abusive tactics to motivate (more like de-motivate/scare) employees to perform.... Large amount of talking out the side of their mouth.

Advice to Management

Remove the "Cancer" from your organization that you have recently hired and replace with Management that cares about the skilled staff. I can see a large amount of your talent "mass exiting" in a short time. Work Life balance is horrid. Worst I have ever seen in my career.

9. My expereince at Blount International was less than I expected it to be.

Former Employee - Recruiter
    Former Employee - Recruiter

I worked at Blount International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Both the assigned work schedule and the compensation offered are excellent for those individuals wanting/needing day shift/regular office hours for working by.

Cons

Available options for communication with members of the ET. , Department Managers, and Staff, are poor to weak at best. Resources offered to perform job duties with were scarce, in some instances incomplete, and overall inadequate for the end user.

Advice to Management

Listen more, talk less, exercise an open door policy, and practice professional business etiquette when in the presence of others.

10. A great place to work, in an old school manufacturing company.

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at Blount International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Feels like a family at work, people really dive into the work, great company in the Pacific NW, with a great reputation.
    - Great experience
    - Josh Collins is a great asset to the company along with most of his senior leadership team.

Cons

- Old Boy style progression of employees
    - The product amount to limited growth in a commodity market, and efforts to break into to new segments has been lackluster. Efforts to grow through acquisitions have been hit or miss.

Advice to Management

- Think long term, and look for competitive strategies regarding investment in manufacturing excellence. Management is too focused on short term solutions, and the progressive managers are ostracized, and isolated.
    - This company has so much potential to be truly world class in a lot of aspects, but needs world class talent in the middle ranks.

My experience here has been demanding, confusing, and unfruitful after two years of service.

Current Employee - Parts Puller/Packer in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Parts Puller/Packer in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Blount International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Your base pay gets bumped up pretty quickly after your first year, and the overtime is abundant. Their 401k is unlike any other company I have been with. They have excellent benefits and good people to work with.

Cons

1. You top out pretty quickly here. There are individuals here who haven't received any raises for over a decade. After year one, you are stuck in your pay grade.
    2. Policies change without notice here.
    3. The turnover ratio here is high.
    4. Associates are not held accountable in their actions at all in there work. If you can get away with just doing a little, then you can.

Advice to Management

I have spoken with associates from Blounts' all across the US and have heard great things. Here in Kansas City they remind us of our P4 beliefs and ethics, but falls flat on action.

Blount International Photos