Blue Book Network Contractors Register

Updated 31 October 2014
Updated 31 October 2014
2.8

Rich Johnson

Pros
  • Good benefits,401k, work from home, customer service and call center excellent (in 8 reviews)

• Customer service is fantastic, even with all the added responsibilities they have (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Micro management to the nth degree so if you are considering this company do not believe them when they tell you they do not micro-manage (in 11 reviews)

• The upper management is closed minded and does not want to hear what the salesforce has to say (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

What Once Was......May Be Gone.......

Current Employee - Sales Account Manager

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Customer service is fantastic, even with all the added responsibilities they have.
    * Flexibility to work from home is a plus, though that does equate to working way more than a 9 hour day when your every move must be accounted for and documented.
    * Immediate manager has brought solid ideas to the table and is always available to assist.
    * Co-Workers that provide encouragement. Not looking to compete with each other but help one another. Protected sales territory

Cons

* Upper management not taking ownership that many of the companies issues are their doing. Examples are: an inferior lead generating system, multiple IT issues, no fear of consequences for them (they just move to another high level position.....must be nice)
    * A reputation that is being tainted in the industry makes the job more challenging. There is a cocky attitude of superiority that is no longer warranted.
    * For a company that is preaching change......we are still waiting.
    * Too many high level managers and consultants with large salaries and no substance (though Cody who created one of our new products, and Doug who is a manufacturers consultant and business economist, are a breath of fresh air and are the only higher management people that spends time interacting with our customers).
     * There is a simple lack of respect for our current account base, the customers that pay our salaries with their advertising dollars are nickeled and dimed to death. Where is their input, why don't we ask for it?
    * Lack of vacation time, when I was hired 10+ years ago, we had more. What company decreases your time off the longer you are with them?

Please look to yourselves and be honest. You have turned over more than 50% of your sales force in the past 5 years (remember, this is a 102 year old company) This isn't something to be proud of.
    * It's time to get input from our customers, even they ones that have cancelled...especially them.
    * Consider more vacation time, a sound mental state and balance in our lives would go a long way.

Is Change Coming...Too Late

Current Employee - Business Development Consultant
    Current Employee - Business Development Consultant

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits,401k, work from home, customer service and call center excellent. Company is trying to initiate changes.

Cons

Bad decisions over product development and product launching have caused this 100 year old company to lose its foothold in the marketplace. Products are developed and launched without any field input or interest from customers, the end result has been a poor experience on the end user side, resulting in less logging in to the system! The arrogance of some of the leadership at the top levels is so great that as little as two years ago they would boastfully say we have no real competition in the marketplace. Guess what, it is competition if they are competing for and winning the limited $ of customers. Lots of issues to overcome most are stemming from the IT side and the ability to provide the complete and needed information in an easy to use format for our customers.
    Growth is extremely important and those at the top can not understand why it is so difficult. Consultants are hired and paid to determine this. Try talking to the thousands of customers who have left, they will give you an idea or better yet listening to what your reps in the field have been saying for the last eight years or so.
    No accountability at the top for the current problems. In a recent national sales call the overwhelming clear message was sell more or else. "this is what you signed up for." I actually thought I signed up for a top notch company and product that would help those in construction reach their goals, PLEASE DELIVER.

Take accountability for your actions. The same leadership team has been in place for a long time with a lot of poor decisions and unwillingness to initiate true change. I have not heard a fresh idea yet. Now trying to catch up to the competition which should have been happening years ago. I think change needs to happen at the top levels of this organization.

Solid Training & Sales Opportunity -- Although I believe that "print" advertising is a dying industry.

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Jefferson Valley, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Jefferson Valley, NY (US)

Pros

The company has great training and the people that work there really are great. Corporate is in upstate New York and the people are all very friendly and great. There is potential to make a lot of money and they also have some pretty cool perks when you hit presidents club.
    They are moving their business model to include a bunch of great internet/computer products.

Cons

They place a lot of emphasis on Print Advertising which I believe is a dying industry. However, they are ramping up their internet and computer based offerings and if they can get those flying -- there will be a huge opportunity for growth.
    The only way to promote above a Regional Manager position is to move to the corporate HQ.

Give more paid vacation -- its hard to plan all of my vacation around the holiday shut down.

Great Product - Company lacks professionalism and integrity

Former Employee - Business Development Consultant
    Former Employee - Business Development Consultant

I worked at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Promote themselves well with a great product line industry specific to construction and are growing the product line to meet industry needs.

Cons

Where do I start? Training managers drank excessively and were so hung over in the morning they were ill. Every pay check was a struggle to get paid correctly. No market research done in region to support sales teams. Micro management to the nth degree so if you are considering this company do not believe them when they tell you they do not micro-manage.

Stop talking out of both sides of your mouth. i.e. "you're working too hard - you need some time with your family - but don't do that during working hours - save that for after hours in your downtime." Really listen to your sales team - don't just pay them lip service.

Not even a glimmer of hope

Current Employee - Sales Account Manager

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Constant support from some of the BEST in customer service!
    We still have some amazing people left in this company, but they are dwindling
    Ability to work from a home office
    benefits

Cons

LEADERSHIP...specifically in NEW YORK. If we are going to restructure, we should not simply move one high level management position to another. We need IMMEDIATE change in these poitions. These are the same people that have made the same bad decisions. In any other company...they would be gone! We need to clean house and get educated management with real leadership skills that innovate and inspire change. We have way too many managers collecting too many big hefty salaries that are NOT EARNED!

Management is always blaming sales for loss of revenue and never enough growth. They never own their own mistakes. We have been asking for more leads, awarded information, and planning information for MANY years, well aware the competiion was closing in on us fast...now that the competition is ALL OVER US...they finally start the process...is it too late

This is an ESOP on paper only. In reality it is one person who makes the final decision and maybe a couple others. Sales has never had the chance to have any real input on decisions made. If we did, we would not be in this current sinking ship position.

The market has changed and we need to leave our BIG ego behind. Our products on the IT side have worked half of the time online. Many sales presentations this year turned into the dance of disaster with unexpected problems occuring while either trying to sell a new prospect or trying to renew a customer. By the way, our company email was down just today. Do you get the picture? THIS IS THE REAL!

Lack of disclosure to employee owners of revenue spent on sales projects and fees to conultants. Purchase price for Jobsite 123 and also management stock options. Poor communication.

You never needed to hire conultants for hundreds of thousands of dollars. The answer is with the custmer that cancelled. Why did all of them cancel? Some have been with us over 20 years! Did you ask? Most of your effort should have been focused on this group. You don't need consultants to figure this out.

Maybe you should read about the top 10 turnaround CEO's like I did. Their are 10 inspirational leaders that turned around their companies. In case you think you have it all figured out, here are a few facts.

The computer CEO reduced the 350 projects the company had in development to 50 and then to as little as 10. He mainly focused on the next big thing...I think we know what they are...one is used in the field. The stock rose more than 9000 percent. Buy the book.

Cell phone CEO...In 2008 this phone carrier lost 5.1million subscribers. He created a new rate plan and recognized they were last in customer satisfaction surveys.

Soup CEO 2001-2011 Recognized sales were falling due to management raising prices. He believed success was employee engagement. He replaced 300 of the 350 top level management staff to assist with his 10 year goal plan.

What is our 1,5, and 10 year plan? We will not be here if we don't have a plan and find the BEST PEOPLE in management to make the decisions. You have not given us any reason to trust and believe that you are capable of making the right decisions. We are running out of time. It's not about friendships at the top any longer. It's who can do the job the best! The past owner deserves more! Do him a favor and resign.

We need superior products again. We fail in this department except for print. Why can't we have the best BB BID and focus on the job leads and of course our book and online exposure. The rest is not gaining us any ground.

Stop the dishonesty on this site. DO NOT have management do these bogus posts that mislead the reader into believing this company is not having these huge problems. If we had no problems you would not have the overpaid consultants on our payroll. Stop this nonsense!

The bonus/pay structure that was in place this year saved the company tons of money at the expense of the sales team. Do not complain about not getting your bonus when the sales team has taken a drastic pay cut. Sleep well...

BDC

Current Employee - BDC in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - BDC in Boston, MA (US)

Pros

Working from Home. Setting own Calander

Cons

Working 65 to 70 hrs a week. Not enough money for what we are asked to do for it.

Have less High paid Managers. Way too many managers

Nothing like disgruntled EX employees....

Current Employee - BDC
    Current Employee - BDC

Pros

Unparalleled Customer Service. Unparalleled back office support. Aggressive with technology. Super aggressive industry leader. The Blue Book Network is envied and unafraid to introduce new products. They don't always work, but they never totally fail. Truly the industry leader keeping up with our technical world.

Cons

Micromanaging when not necessary from the Area Manager level. Why have a Regional Manager that knows us guys (full of sarcasm if unsure)? If I were the RM I'd be PO'ed.

Listen to the middle performers as well as the upper performing superstars. You're missing the majority of your Reps' value.

15 years as account executive in Florida

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great working with construction industry and helping them build their business over time.
    Great benefits

Cons

Constant pressure on a daily basis to grow territory.

Listen to the other "Owners" so we can get this company back to the way it was and make some money!!!

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time

Pros

Honestly, the "Pros" have diminished over the years. However, there are still some left and that's why I am still hanging in there. I enjoy working from home and have the ability to schedule some things that I would have a hard time doing in a 9-5 job. However, I put in "many" more hours than any job I have ever held. I love the construction industry....my customers are "the salt of the earth". Some of the relationships I have with my customers has turned into friendships. Our 401K is great....one of the best! Most of the people I work closely with are wonderful, some are like family!

Cons

Unfortunately, the Cons outweigh the Pros! Even though I am in sales, my opinion is almost identical to many other employees. The company has spent a lot of money hiring more upper management than we need, we are not a fortune 500 company and do not "need" many of these positions! There's a VP of this, a VP of that, a Manager managing another Manager, several trainers, consultants for this and that, Specialist"s" for some of our products and on and on....

We bought a company last year and apparently we also hired several of their employees who we never see. We do see the previous owner who is now a VP of Network Solutions at The Blue Book. She is definitely an asset who knows the industry and what the contractors need and want! That being said, there is a lot of fat in upper management who are enjoying some hefty salaries. So how do we afford them? I guess the bonuses that the sales force used to earn are paying their salaries now I never had a problem paying my bills with my salary, now I have to borrow!

Sales bonuses are so far "out of reach" now that few people are hitting their numbers. A good Sales Organization should have tiered levels of bonuses for every quarter so it is reachable, makes people work harder and more realistic. We had that several years ago and it worked and people were happy. In sales, the "Core" are considered the average people that work hard, are the heart of the company and as a whole, bring in the most revenue but are left out because management focuses on the other two groups, .......the "Over" achievers and "Under" achievers. Upper management needs to talk to the sales people to find out what bonuses work to bring in more sales and bring up the morale again. The President has never been in sales but makes decisions about how sales people should be selling. He and the new VP are IT guys.... we are a "sales" organization, not a technology company. They are nice men, but in the wrong positions.
    Speaking of IT, we need help in that department as well! Too much to write about that one....

Vacation time stinks!! If you start here in the fall, you get the same amount of time as someone who has been here for 30 years!! You get one week all year, a few personal days, six sick days and mandatory two + weeks at Christmas while we print the book. Christmas is nice to have time off, but we don't get to choose the time we want to go on vacation, The Blue Book makes that decision. The holidays are a crazy time so it never feels like a vacation! We need to clear our heads from time to time so we can be more productive.

Some other negative things about our job: Too much paperwork, conference calls, non-productive reports, reporting how many phone calls we make all week, long hours to get it all done and loss of family time! We have to pay for our hardware, for example phones, fax machines, computers, tablets. We get some car allowance, but for office supplies, it's only about $40 a month. Marketing comes out with new promotions and never give us a flyer to leave behind ?

Please talk to the "owners" in the sales department, not just among upper management...."every" owner!! Start spending "our" money wisely and come back to reality!!! The fancy dinners and drinks, unnecessary airline tickets, hotels, too many managers going to the Presidents Club when that is really for the top "Sales People"! There are many things that can be put into place to help this company get back to where we used to be so the industry sees the" value" once again! The employee owners at Blue Book are not happy right now....hopefully you will "really" listen. We can be great again! Why not take a look at other companies that are successful and have happy sales people? Look on www.Glassdoor.com ......now that's a great idea!!

One of the Last Great Companies in the US

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register (more than 10 years)

Pros

The Blue Book cares about their employees and consistently invests in them. The management team doesn't so much give direction.....they strive to make their people better. This creates many opportunities to advance your career. This is a company that transitioned from a directory publisher to a provider digital information and online workflow solutions. Management is always thinking ahead and developing new products to satisfy the needs of the construction industry. The Blue Book is poised for future growth. They also offer the best benefits and every employee is an owner of the company (ESOP). The really cool thing is, the Blue Book is loyal to their employees.....something many other companies have forgotten about

Cons

With any innovative, creative company that regularly launches new products, there are growing pains.....but growing pains are good. It's helps grow the business

Keep up the good work.