Blue Book Network Contractors Register

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Rich Johnson

Pros
  • At the home office in customer service we also have many wonderful people that remain (in 9 reviews)

• There is a great 401K match, decent yet crazy expensive benefits, and great people to work with (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Distrust, micro-management, fear and intimidation are the components of the current culture (in 8 reviews)

• Current UPPER management should be analyzed on their credentials and what they really contribute to the company (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Nothing like disgruntled EX employees....

BDC (Current Employee)

ProsUnparalleled Customer Service. Unparalleled back office support. Aggressive with technology. Super aggressive industry leader. The Blue Book Network is envied and unafraid to introduce new products. They don't always work, but they never totally fail. Truly the industry leader keeping up with our technical world.

ConsMicromanaging when not necessary from the Area Manager level. Why have a Regional Manager that knows us guys (full of sarcasm if unsure)? If I were the RM I'd be PO'ed.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the middle performers as well as the upper performing superstars. You're missing the majority of your Reps' value.

One of the Last Great Companies in the US

ProsThe Blue Book cares about their employees and consistently invests in them. The management team doesn't so much give direction.....they strive to make their people better. This creates many opportunities to advance your career. This is a company that transitioned from a directory publisher to a provider digital information and online workflow solutions. Management is always thinking ahead and developing new products to satisfy the needs of the construction industry. The Blue Book is poised for future growth. They also offer the best benefits and every employee is an owner of the company (ESOP). The really cool thing is, the Blue Book is loyal to their employees.....something many other companies have forgotten about

ConsWith any innovative, creative company that regularly launches new products, there are growing pains.....but growing pains are good. It's helps grow the business

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

15 years as account executive in Florida

Account Executive (Former Employee)

ProsGreat working with construction industry and helping them build their business over time.
    Great benefits

ConsConstant pressure on a daily basis to grow territory.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Listen to the other "Owners" so we can get this company back to the way it was and make some money!!!

Sales (Current Employee)

ProsHonestly, the "Pros" have diminished over the years. However, there are still some left and that's why I am still hanging in there. I enjoy working from home and have the ability to schedule some things that I would have a hard time doing in a 9-5 job. However, I put in "many" more hours than any job I have ever held. I love the construction industry....my customers are "the salt of the earth". Some of the relationships I have with my customers has turned into friendships. Our 401K is great....one of the best! Most of the people I work closely with are wonderful, some are like family!

ConsUnfortunately, the Cons outweigh the Pros! Even though I am in sales, my opinion is almost identical to many other employees. The company has spent a lot of money hiring more upper management than we need, we are not a fortune 500 company and do not "need" many of these positions! There's a VP of this, a VP of that, a Manager managing another Manager, several trainers, consultants for this and that, Specialist"s" for some of our products and on and on....

We bought a company last year and apparently we also hired several of their employees who we never see. We do see the previous owner who is now a VP of Network Solutions at The Blue Book. She is definitely an asset who knows the industry and what the contractors need and want! That being said, there is a lot of fat in upper management who are enjoying some hefty salaries. So how do we afford them? I guess the bonuses that the sales force used to earn are paying their salaries now I never had a problem paying my bills with my salary, now I have to borrow!

Sales bonuses are so far "out of reach" now that few people are hitting their numbers. A good Sales Organization should have tiered levels of bonuses for every quarter so it is reachable, makes people work harder and more realistic. We had that several years ago and it worked and people were happy. In sales, the "Core" are considered the average people that work hard, are the heart of the company and as a whole, bring in the most revenue but are left out because management focuses on the other two groups, .......the "Over" achievers and "Under" achievers. Upper management needs to talk to the sales people to find out what bonuses work to bring in more sales and bring up the morale again. The President has never been in sales but makes decisions about how sales people should be selling. He and the new VP are IT guys.... we are a "sales" organization, not a technology company. They are nice men, but in the wrong positions.
    Speaking of IT, we need help in that department as well! Too much to write about that one....

Vacation time stinks!! If you start here in the fall, you get the same amount of time as someone who has been here for 30 years!! You get one week all year, a few personal days, six sick days and mandatory two + weeks at Christmas while we print the book. Christmas is nice to have time off, but we don't get to choose the time we want to go on vacation, The Blue Book makes that decision. The holidays are a crazy time so it never feels like a vacation! We need to clear our heads from time to time so we can be more productive.

Some other negative things about our job: Too much paperwork, conference calls, non-productive reports, reporting how many phone calls we make all week, long hours to get it all done and loss of family time! We have to pay for our hardware, for example phones, fax machines, computers, tablets. We get some car allowance, but for office supplies, it's only about $40 a month. Marketing comes out with new promotions and never give us a flyer to leave behind ?

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease talk to the "owners" in the sales department, not just among upper management...."every" owner!! Start spending "our" money wisely and come back to reality!!! The fancy dinners and drinks, unnecessary airline tickets, hotels, too many managers going to the Presidents Club when that is really for the top "Sales People"! There are many things that can be put into place to help this company get back to where we used to be so the industry sees the" value" once again! The employee owners at Blue Book are not happy right now....hopefully you will "really" listen. We can be great again! Why not take a look at other companies that are successful and have happy sales people? Look on www.Glassdoor.com ......now that's a great idea!!

Family Oriented Company

ProsGood company to work for. They sincerely care about their employees. Half day Fridays in the summer and decent PTO. Great benefits.

ConsNo room for growth. Company operations are antiquated and inefficient. Many lazy employees at Headquarters. LOW salaries.

Sales

Sales (Current Employee)

Pros101 year old company, flexible schedule, 401K match. We still have some really great people that work for this company both in the field and in customer service. Never a lay off even in the economic downturn. Always enjoy a day in the field working with my customers! It's why I have not given up hope on this company. It comes from greatness, but we are struggling to return to our roots.

ConsI think we (some of my coworkers/partners/owners) question the benefit of the current ESOP that we have/are and for many reasons. We question the monetary benefit and how much managers are currently getting from the plan. I am sure the table is very slanted from management to sales. They want us to feel so much like owners, constanly asking us to refer to each other that way, but we are never asked about any of the current BIG decisions that are made...like WHERE our 3 million profit from 2013 should be spent. What myself and some of my partners have seen is an unbelievable amount of managers hired and people within also promoted to higher levels all starting in January 2014. This is a concern for many of us owners in sales who work very hard to bring this revenue in on the front line! We are now what I would call a VERY TOP HEAVY MANAGEMENT company . This has resulted in financial ruin for some companies in the past, so I am very concerned. They sent out a survey monkey this year for the first time ever, but some of the things that needed our opinion were not even on the survey! If you want us always referring to each other us owners, MAKE US FEEL LIKE OWNERS. Current UPPER management should be analyzed on their credentials and what they really contribute to the company. The direction we are heading worries me. Also, we have as president a person with apparent IT background, but we continue to have big problems that could and have caused us to lose contracts or never get them signed by a new prospect. The decisions being made from the top currently are a big concern!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace some of the current upper management team. Get rid of managers that are not necessary! You need to take a look at this from the outside! The president should ride in the field for a couple weeks in different regions! Get a real pulse on what is currently being said and happening on the front line! You are currently questioning why we don't have more new, but it is so obvious considering how you structured the bonus. Everyone is going for the low hanging fruit...the renewals! It is not structured properly...re-evaluate! You do not seem to know how best to drive sales. Some of your regional managers need you to LISTEN! This company has many owners in the field wanting a big comeback for our company...IT STARTS WITH OPEN EARS...MANY of these major decisions should come from the field!

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great Company to work for!

Sales Account Manager (Current Employee) Tampa, FL (US)

ProsThe 101 year old company has done a great job in transitioning from a book to online presence. Always coming out with tools for the entire industry. The company is run it like a family business with perks and benefits of a huge company. If you are not making money than the it is on you, it is your own franchise. can make 100 K with the company.

ConsThe company is not saturated with middle management so there is not a lot of different opportunities to move in.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep looking for more opportunities, help sales out with collections, setting appointments, ect.

Making some positive changes to an already good company.

Business Development Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible schedule and great compensation. Work out of home and manage our own territory. Have recently made some positive changes on how the company is run.

ConsThey launch products before they are ready resulting in bugs and disappointing results from our customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to sales team more.

An Employee owned Business with a Family Owned approach

Programmer (Current Employee) Jefferson Valley, NY (US)

ProsThe effort and value provided by my fellow Blue Book Employee Owners to the construction industry has been outstanding. As the economy improved for our customers and builders It has allowed us to launch new products and connect and grow our customers businesses. It is rewarding to know that your products are making a difference.

ConsSupporting the construction and advertising industries during the worst economic time since the depression is exhausting. We have continued to try and improve our products and processes and deliver more value to our customers but we need more paid time off!

Advice to Senior ManagementStay true to your core mission and you will be around another 100 Years!

Great Company

Account Manager (Former Employee) Denver, CO (US)

ProsFlexability, pay and challenge. Fun and educational

ConsThe manager I had was very sketchy and did some very unethical things

Advice to Senior ManagementDiscipline managers for bad behaviour, like altering contracts with financial data

Worked for Blue Book Network Contractors Register? Contribute to the Community!