Blue Book Network Contractors Register

Updated Mar 12, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Rich Johnson

Pros:
  • "At the home office in customer service we also have many wonderful people that remain"
    in 7 reviews
  • "The Blue Book is 100 years old and has NEVER had a lay-off because of hard times"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Distrust, micro-management, fear and intimidation are the components of the current culture"
    in 8 reviews
  • "I have to say that there is not a single manager that commands respect from any of the sales team"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Making some positive changes to an already good company.

Business Development Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexible schedule and great compensation. Work out of home and manage our own territory. Have recently made some positive changes on how the company is run.

ConsThey launch products before they are ready resulting in bugs and disappointing results from our customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to sales team more.

An Employee owned Business with a Family Owned approach

Programmer (Current Employee)
Jefferson Valley, NY (US)

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe effort and value provided by my fellow Blue Book Employee Owners to the construction industry has been outstanding. As the economy improved for our customers and builders It has allowed us to launch new products and connect and grow our customers businesses. It is rewarding to know that your products are making a difference.

ConsSupporting the construction and advertising industries during the worst economic time since the depression is exhausting. We have continued to try and improve our products and processes and deliver more value to our customers but we need more paid time off!

Advice to Senior ManagementStay true to your core mission and you will be around another 100 Years!

Great Company

Account Manager (Former Employee)
Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexability, pay and challenge. Fun and educational

ConsThe manager I had was very sketchy and did some very unethical things

Advice to Senior ManagementDiscipline managers for bad behaviour, like altering contracts with financial data

Fair Progressive Company that Gives you the ability to Succeed based on Ability, and Effort

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register

ProsMostly Everything. Having worked here over 20 years, I can tell you that there isn't a better Company to work for. Good People and the ability to run your own territory. As long as you are smart enough and work hard enough to do so. It appears that there are negative reviews written by unsuccessful Account Managers who want to blame everyone else but themselves.

ConsMore vacation time based on tenure, other than that I have none.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore interaction with Account Managers before implementing new products.

Don't Plan on Advancement if You Are Over 40

Cubicle Bound Clerical (Current Employee)
Jefferson Valley, NY (US)

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe Benefits and Half-Day Fridays in summer

ConsLOW pay, no chances for advancement unless you are a computer geek in their 20's or have a family connection to management.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain Your Managers and Supervisors! They are sorely lacking in interpersonal skills and were promoted out of loyalty and long time on the job, but then are not given any training in team building or communication. As long as things run smoothly, they are not at all monitored. They evaluate us, but we cannot ever evaluate them.....They are threatened by any feedback at all and only promote people they can easily control (i.e. right out of college with huge loans to pay). They play favorites, only speaking to some, give gifts to others in front of everyone else on birthdays.
There hasn't been a dept. meeting in 3 years-only "memos" or emails and if you ask for clarification they treat it as akin to treason or make you feel stupid for asking.....
Every review for 7 years I have asked to be moved to a position that suits my skill set better. Every year I am told it will happen, but never does. The review is NEVER about the employee, and NEVER positive- even when you are the ONLY ONE not shopping online, taking extra breaks and hour long lunches- What happens in Management Meetings? It doesn't appear to be training?
 I am older and watch the young'uns come in, do a crappy job for 6 months and then transfer out......what happened to advancing people who know the products, do their jobs faithfully, and have "tenure"? No such thing anymore -we have gone from valued long time employees to just trying to stick it out to retirement. If you don't feel valued by your company, given no incentives or positive feedback, it's no longer a joy to come to work. I am of the generation that has a great work ethic, great education behind them and I would like to be valued as a hard worker. Why is that so hard?
While it will be nice to have a fat ESOP to use in retirement, I struggle everyday to come to work.......

Grateful to be employed but not sure if the Pro's or Con's are greater.

Sales Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time for more than 10 years

ProsESOP, 401K, benefit package, 100 Years Industry Experience, largest commercial construction database available, remote work environment, no downsizing during economic down turn.

ConsMicro-management, very low salaries, 8 days vacation annually (besides holiday break that is not chosen by reps, but management considers it "vacation"), products launched before ready, too many time consuming, non-revenue activities.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not micromanage & ask for sales agendas to be filled from 8-5 or so daily. It just promotes dishonesty to keep jobs. Also, salaries & vacation should be partially predicated on longevity, not fixed for sales reps indefinitely. In the current economy many incomes have diminished when territories lost revenue which means we are making less than in the past & working much harder.

product obsolete and management team clueless

Newark, NJ (US)

Prosgreat 401 and other benefits

Consmanagers that have not done the job. I have to say that there is not a single manager that commands respect from any of the sales team. The mgmt. team told us at beginning of year we would have honest discussions with our managers once a month. Ridiculous, they want to hear what they want to hear. The president takes all criticism personally.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen the operating cost goes up 5 fold and you lose over 11000 customers

GET A CLUE YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING.
The best way to get stock to go up is for both of you to resign

This is one of America's best kept secrets. Was there 7 years and resigned when I decided to buy a travel franchise.

Sales Account Manager (Former Employee)
Pompano Beach, FL (US)

I worked at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCompany is employee owned...almost everyone there (about 400 employees) has been there over 10 years, with many over 20 & 30. They hire sharp people with a kind touch. Company training is thorough and they have their priorities in the right place: products, customer service and employees. Great Company.

ConsPlease consider this a genuine response, but, I truly do not have any.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what your doing!

Working here as been low stress mostly but can best be compared to being back at high school.

Not Sales, HQ (Current Employee)
Jefferson Valley, NY (US)

ProsGood benefits, 401K, ESOP (maybe eventually will actually matter, doesn't seem to whatsoever right now), low stress

ConsLocation, salary is very low, people get away with doing no work and are moved up, while people like me work hard and go nowhere, people are cliquey, like high school.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove people up who work hard, not just people who "know someone". Online shopping all day isn't a job. If one of the receptionists can't be friendly, fire her. We are a company, NOT a family.

Interesting and challenging work opportunity in a company with a family atmosphere.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Jefferson Valley, NY (US)

I worked at Blue Book Network Contractors Register as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsForward looking company developing new products to serve the construction industry.

ConsCampus of two unconnected buildings can be an issue in wintry weather.

Worked for Blue Book Network Contractors Register? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Blue Book Network Contractors Register reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Blue Book Network Contractors Register CEO Rich Johnson. All 50 reviews are posted anonymously by Blue Book Network Contractors Register employees.