Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan

www.bcbsm.com
Profile Unclaimed

Not good

Former Employee - Business Intelligence in Detroit, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Business Intelligence in Detroit, MI (US)

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan

Pros

Stable company, RenCen nice building, good IT budget

Cons

Politics, huge turnover, parking, commute, underpaid. Too many contractors due to lack of retaining talent

Pay higher, take notice of your employees that are talented

Great company if you like micro management.

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Benefits Are amazing. Decent pay.

Cons

Management is awful. You pick your butt you get a write up.

grow up loosen up and relax.

Good place to work

Former Contractor - Software Engineer in Detroit, MI (US)
    Former Contractor - Software Engineer in Detroit, MI (US)

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Large team size, which can learn a lot from teammate
    Work environment is awesome
    Good pay

Cons

Bad work life balance, sometimes need to be on call in the weekend and at night.
    Not good for new grad.

Web Editor

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan

Pros

I love it here.
    I learn a lot and they pay us well.
    They actually care about their work and the members who see the work.

Cons

None in particular.
    I'd really like to be an employee and not just a contractor soon.

You're doing just fine.

Rewarding company that promotes from within and lots of other benefits

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan

Pros

Health insurance, dental, and vision
    Typical work schedule of M-F, weekends and holidays off
    Promotes from within
    Cool programs, can take college classes onsite...

Cons

Unit Leader over you, then Team Leader over you and the UL, then Manager of you and the UL and the TL, etc.

So, it becomes like the movie Office Space where the management can continue to hound you over the same things...a very capitalist workplace

No training and treated unfairly

Former Employee - Team Leader in Grand Rapids, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Grand Rapids, MI (US)

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan

Pros

My short time I was there I was involved in food drives and team building activities enjoyed the work environment.

Cons

Was told I would get trained it didn't happen, leadership need to understand people are human and not just numbers you can't pick favorites and fire people who do not get the training needed. I wish I would've been able to keep my position I really loved working there.

Take the time to invest in people and treat people like they are human.

Everything that glitters......

Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Detroit, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Detroit, MI (US)

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people and great potential. They have excellent benefits & business/personal workshops for employees.

Cons

It's not what you know at times, it's who. Union? What Union?

Place yourself in employees shoes at times. Push personal favorites aside & think business all the time.

Great Company to work for!

Former Employee - Sales and Marketing
    Former Employee - Sales and Marketing

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed working for BCBSM. They have great benefits, competitive compensation (in sales and marketing) and really care about their employees. They have put a lot of time, effort and money into developing great solutions for customers. Very ethical company with a great sense of community involvement and responsibility.

Cons

Work life balance is a big issue for a good part of the year, but that is the nature of the insurance industry. They are also typically slow to react to market changes. The stress of the job and the long hours can often create an unhappy work environment. If you don't like internal meetings and conference calls filling your schedule, this is not the company for you.

A lot of emphasis is put on interaction between managers/directors and their staff, yet the managers and directors seem to be constantly involved in internal meetings that interferes with this objective. I definitely recommend an evaluation of this practice. The need for the meetings seems to be perpetuated by the fact that people don't respond timely to requests from internal teammates, but when you ask why they haven't responded, it's because they have been in internal meetings or on calls for the last several days. This just isn't the way to meet customer needs in an efficient manner.

Professional employer

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Detroit, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Detroit, MI (US)

Pros

BCBSM is committed to being the industry healthcare leader in the Greater Metropolitan Detroit area. They emphasize members first. They are very involved in the community. BCBSM is an organization where they believe in knowledge is power. They are truly an equal opportunity employer.

Cons

BCBSM could be more diverse. They could also streamline some of their processes. This would allow for better efficiencies across the entire firm.

Disappointing

Former Contractor - Senior Analyst - Pharmacy Network in Detroit, MI (US)
    Former Contractor - Senior Analyst - Pharmacy Network in Detroit, MI (US)

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, hard employees, diverse atmosphere, located in the heart of Detroit.

Cons

Cheap pay, along with Managers not being active, very distance with their employee, workers in department are very little due to high turnover, lots of favoritisms, if you don't know anyone in the company- good luck trying to apply for a permanent position. Job description require a college degree, some workers don't have it, but is put into the job because they are buddies with the manager.There is lots of politics in this company. Managers sits in their cubic demanding for work through emails. Micro managing the littlest, tedious things about the work. This company is very old fashion, doesn't look for improvement or doesn't care for changes. Managers are always in meetings, never care for the workers too much.

be open, communicate, and reach out to your employees. Leaders need to be trained and go through a process of organization development.

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Photos

Rooftop of the parking structure
Breakroom