Bon Appetit

Bon Appetit Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Outside the box look to management skills in a company

Catering Assistant (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsFood industry experience, Learning different types of food and how the maintenance keep the establishment neat

ConsDifferent professional environment than an artistic environment

A great job for a student worker

Student Supervisor (Former Employee) Northfield, MN (US)

ProsVery flexible hours that allowed you to work around almost any schedule. Great people who help develop many crucial job market skills

ConsSet in a college so the atmosphere was as you'd expect. Poor communication skills when it came to new information.

Well oiled machine

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBon appetit has a certain way of doing things, and if you have good leadership that can communicate that process, things work beautifully.

ConsIf the leadership is sub par, or isn't communicating properly, it makes the collaborative environment break down. Certain people will start pulling more weight than others, and nobody's happy.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive high fives. Increase communication across different moving parts.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Director of Catering

Catering Manager (Former Employee) Saint Paul, MN (US)

ProsGreat company values and commitment in material and top corporate management. Enormous opportunity to grow as you progress through your career. I enjoyed working with peers from other locations on larger events.

ConsSome management is not fully committed to company values. I believe there should be random drug tests; including managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees; really look at how hard they are working

Be prepared to have good days and bad days. Certain chefs can be a bit bipolar at times!

Server, Porter (Current Employee) Berrien Springs, MI (US)

Pros- Stable hours. You don't have to worry about too much variability in your paycheck, which is good for budgeting.
    - Clean and safe environment.
    - Not too fast paced most of the time.

Cons- Benefits at my location were horrible. The only "benefit" was 40% off of a single meal after working 12 hours. When you're not getting too many hours, that benefit leaves a lot to be desired! On top of barely earning above the minimum wage, the benefit is basically negligible.
    - Lack of "community" feeling. Upper management has no interest in knowing non full-time employees. I still don't understand how you can't call someone by their name when you have a nametag on!
    - Chefs at my location are either nice, or complete jerks (for no reason whatsoever!). You kind of have to learn who to stay away from.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more friendly to the workers! Take five seconds out of your "busy" day spent in the executive office and ask workers how they're doing, if they had a good weekend, etc. Make the working experience a little more enjoyable!

Unfriendly and rude management, unfair and biased dealings

Food Server/Cashier (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA (US)

Prosmeal coupons, friendly coworkers, easy to learn work.

ConsToo much physical work, less opportunity to move forward. Inflexible working hours.

Advice to Senior Managementbe more humane and staff centric

Mediocre job with okay benefits and low pay.

Barista (Current Employee) Northfield, MN (US)

ProsLots of time off (unpaid) as the restaurant is only staffed minimally during summer and time off for students (you get two weeks off for Christmas, spring break, etc). The work is not hard and the place is always staffed well enough to deal with the students - it is very fast paced.

ConsIt is disorganized, and the pay is not good. The pay seems okay, however with all the time off it makes your annual income sadly low. The benefits are only okay and if you don't hold an office position you pay more on them so you can have them through the summer.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe professional and take employees behaving badly seriously. It is frustrating for people that work hard every day to see others not doing anything or constantly getting in trouble and not getting written up or fired.

Review

Human Resources Coordinator (Current Employee) Cairo (Egypt)

Prosfriendly enviroment, loyal employees, excellent CEO, ambitious, promotes group work, appreciates it's employees and it's human resources, provide training and opportunities to grow, experts in the field of food and beverages, aiming to keep up with the increasing competion through upgrading their branches and giving them a new look in all aspects from A to Z.

Consbranches need upgrading, jobs in the company require skill and effeciency as they deal with food so a single mistake can ruin it's reputation.

Advice to Senior Managementalways evaluate your employees regularly, provide training, appreciate the hard workers and work on improving the lesser skilled worker.

a drone

Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsIf you find the right mentor this can be a rewarding experience

ConsRiddled with nepotism
    Mundane work
    Too much down time

Advice to Senior Managementmentoring is a verb, it requires action

They have their ups and downs, but definitely way more downs than ups.

ProsThe pay is pretty good mainly because I work in a union based location. Some of the management is very helpful and understanding. Most of the co-workers are friendly and easy to get along with.

ConsThey do not know how to run a budget plan, they have spent way too much money so in turn they cut most employees hours almost in half! We are not allowed to have radios playing in the background while we work. Some of the management staff tend to be very hard to talk to about anything, don't take concerns seriously, and at times just down right unfair.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to run a budget and give your employees their hours back. Most of us have a family to support and its kind of hard to do that when you get way less than 30 hours a week! Listen to your employees and take them more seriously, happy employees=a better working environment for everyone!

Worked for Bon Appetit? Contribute to the Community!