Booz Allen Hamilton

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader

Ralph W. Shrader

(1,180 ratings)

1,905 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Many projects allow flexible working arrangements which help with work-life balance"
    in 246 reviews
  • "Great benefits and excellent utilization of technology to make your job easier"
    in 92 reviews
Cons:
  • "Booz Allen promotes the concept of work-life balance, but this is a facade"
    in 93 reviews
  • "You'll meet many people because so many leave regularly or are given "Lack of Work" letters"
    in 34 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Senior Associate

Senior Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGet experience in Strategic Consulting
Meet executives in various industries
Learn how to work in teams with high-level consultants
Create strong connections with peers

ConsLong working hours
High-pressured job
Travels outside town and very often
Exhaustive and stressful
Difficult to enter and stay
Limited choice of clients and area of expertise

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to consultants to try to improve work-life balance

Best years of my business career

Partner (Former Employee)

ProsHighly professional environment
Some of the brightest people on the planet
Excellent teamwork
Lifelong associations and friendships

ConsHigh pressure for performance
Heavy travel in the early years

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has done an outstanding job of growing the company. Keep it up.

short opinion

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

Prosprestigious firm, international, world-wide, great opportunity

Constravelling, long working hours, competitive

Advice to Senior Managementyou can only grow as big as your staff

Good job and benefits...no challenge, limited growth

Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood benefits...health, profit sharing. Flexibility in schedules, work locations. IT well maintained. Growth if you have strong sponsorship from immediate team.

ConsNo growth unless sponsored directly regardless of network or work quality. Plug in mentality in staffing...just fill the space. Smart people doing menial work just to keep teams billable. Favoritism, nepotism, poorly qualified career managers. The consulting speak has moved inward more than ever before.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up and realize most career managers are ineffective leading to poor professional growth outlook for most staff. With market changes, staff are terrified they will lose their jobs tomorrow and career managers care only for those they are grooming. Minimal opportunities to more than just bill hours....Minimal concern from above. But everyone says the right thing....repeat the mantra and all will be good.

Senior Consultant

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for less than a year

ProsFirst, I would say EVERYONE's experience will be different depending on your team and your client. I am lucky enough to have both an excellent team and an excellent client. I can honestly say, I LOVE MY JOB! My work life is extremely flexible. The work that I am doing is very stimulating and I am surrounded by other PhD social scientists, so I am happy as a clam.

Cons-The new structure for tracking your career can be overwhelming when you first join. If you have a good career manager, you'll be fine. If you don't have a good career manager, I recommend seeking help from colleagues.
-The hiring process takes a VERY long time, I would be patient when dealing with this.
-Other firms do offer more financial rewards (base and bonus structure), but given my work/life balance, I don't consider this much of a con.
-I will say, that since I am on a client-site, I feel a bit disconnected from the BAH culture. Again, not sure if this is a con, but I can imagine it will hinder promotion.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think a lot more needs to be done with the firmwide training (I thought it was awful and a waste of time, needs to be more interactive and actually deal with practical things such as filling out a time sheet). The benefits seem to be following the "cut" trend of other companies. I think this is a mistake considering the pay is much lower than other consulting firms.

I worked at Booz Allen for 9 years.

Associate (Former Employee)
McLean, VA (US)

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe people are among the best (fun and intelligent) in the government consulting industry. The pay and benefits are competitive, and there are opportunities to succeed.

ConsAfter going public, costs are clearly being trimmed to stay competitive. The holiday party is no longer epic. Happy hours and free lunches are rare. Raises are smaller. Booz Allen is basically hundreds of small fiefdoms working together (and competing with each other as well as actual external competition). You're on your own (mostly) when your contract ends and it's time to find a new one.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlace people in new contracts quickly. Have something lined up before the previous one ends and don't leave it up to the employee.

Fantastic company

Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

ProsSmart hard-working people, great mentoring, great work-life balance. Fantastic culture for people who want to learn a lot about proposals, contracts, and consulting.

ConsLots of work outside your 40 billable hours if you want to get ahead.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work! Keep mentoring your local people as much as possible.

It has been a great ride and hope it last for a while longer.

0b04a0c4@opayq.com (Current Employee)
Fairfax, VA (US)

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

ProsEven with all the changes in the culture, it is still a very good place to work. I like the emphasis on ethics and innovation and creativity. There is strong support for developing your skills and abilities. Volunteerism is widely promoted.

ConsThe flow of information has changed from being pushed down the chain of command to the team members to a flood of information broadcast in such a high amount that finding valuable information about what is going on is like trying to find a needle in a haystack.
Very talented people are having a hard time finding positions before being let go because of the crappy person-to-position matching process.

Advice to Senior ManagementUndercover Boss (include HR and RM)

Climb the mountain and build strong character.

Lead Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat place to cut your teeth and learn to work hard. At the true workforce ranks of Consultant to Lead Associate, you can have a lot of opportunity as a self starter to tackle challenging client problems. There are many people that will challenge you and make you a more dynamic problem solver.

ConsThe business is shifting and upward mobility is difficult after Lead Associate. With downward pressure on rates and how the company is set up, they need to reduce overhead. There is less and less reinvestment back into the employee base. You now have to make up all of your training time by working an overage of billable hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuy the firm back and provide yourselves the ability to reinvest and have flexibility with the business. This business can not operate from quarter to quarter results. Intellectual capital is the silent loss.

Booz Allen - good experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton

ProsGreat teamwork, extensive reach back, numerous training and certification offerings and opportunities. The consultants are very helping and more than willing to share information and intellectual capital with other teams. There are numerous networking events after work for team building and networking.

ConsWorking on client site makes it difficult to network with your colleagues, especially if your contract or project; however, this is the case with consulting. It is sometimes difficult to make it back to your home team site for meetings and networking events during the work week.

Worked for Booz Allen Hamilton? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Booz Allen Hamilton reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Booz Allen Hamilton CEO Ralph W. Shrader. All 1,905 reviews are posted anonymously by Booz Allen Hamilton employees.