Bottomline Technologies

Bottomline Technologies Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014

Bottomline Technologies President, CEO, and Director Rob Eberle

Rob Eberle

Pros
  • There are great people to work with and the benefits are top notch(in 5 reviews)

• Good benefits, free fruit in the summer, free ice cream(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • They talk of 'work-life balance', but they do not walk the walk(in 7 reviews)

• Too many VP's and not strong enough middle management(in 5 reviews)

Working at BT

Senior Software Developer (Former Employee) Portsmouth, NH (US)

Prosa. Good benefits; b. Good salary; c. Outstanding U.S. locations; d. Good product lines, which support a variety of industries.

Consa. Too many lay offs; b. Management (at times) uses a knee jerk reaction to things. c. Don't even try to talk to the Office Supervisor in Alpharetta--runs the place like a Prison of War camp.

Advice to Senior Managementa. Trust and rely on employees--they have a lot to offer.

Good place to work at

QA Engineer (Former Employee) Portsmouth, NH (US)

ProsLocation, upper management were very good. Quarterly meetings were typically fun.

ConsGetting laid off due to business reasons

Advice to Senior ManagementLook to keep good people internally if there is an opportunity for them to move internally to stay employed and contributing to the company.

Used to be OK, but not now

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

ProsFor the most part the non managerial people are good to work with, however there has been an exodus of good hard working people over the past few years. I can't say the same thing about senior management however. Health insurance is good. Basically if you are a junior level person and want to get some experience and can keep your head down and out of the way of senior management it's not too bad of a place. I wouldn't recommend that anyone stay longer than 5 years (get some experience and get out) or try to climb the ladder unless you are a good yes man and have a talet for stabbing your peers in the back.

ConsThe culture is really toxic at the higher levels - you need to constantly watch your back. The company motto is 'With and for each other' which could not be further from the truth. This all really stems from the CEO and flows down so until there is a change at the top I don't see the company culture changing.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe atmosphere is really driving good people away which is too bad - the strength of the company could really be improved if there was a shift towards listening to differing opinions instead of rewarding those who parrot the same ideas senior managment has already decided on.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fabulous place to work in every aspect!

Enrollment Specialist (Current Employee) Portsmouth, NH (US)

ProsI look forward to coming to work every day. Why? Because Bottomline really cares about its employees. I have the feeling that my opinion matters from the CEO, to Vice Presidents and Managers as well as my co-workers. The culture is built around "working with and for each other" and I have seen this consistently throughout my time here. The message I hear from the senior staff is that I am doing a good job and that I am a valued employee. Who doesn't like recognitiion for a job well done? Moreover, it's clear that there is room for growth here--when a talent is recognized, management acts on it. In other words the focus is on the strengths of our skill set, rather than our shortcomings and then they run with that which makes it fun and rewarding. Employees share a strong work ethic--I always feel like it's team work and that we're moving toward a goal together. Managers are approachable, colleagues are a pleasure, the benefits are very generous--"think Matching 401K" and the environment is well--beautiful! If it's important to you to work hard, feel a part of and to feel satisfied at the end of the day, then this is the place for you.

ConsFrom where I sit? None.

Good to Learn At, Quick to Plateau and Become Stifled

Digital Designer, Front-End Developer (Former Employee) Portsmouth, NH (US)

ProsLocation
    Benefit package
    Bonuses
    Potential for company growth
    Strong UI/UX team

ConsThe company is bogged down by an overbearing network of bureaucracy. For being a tech company, it is ironically slow to adopt new and forward thinking platforms and standards - their corporate website is a glaring example of this sort of backwards thinking.

Numbers and illusion of company gains are valued more than clear and honest communication with prospects and customers. Expect to have processes ignored and overstepped by management. The company does a good job at squashing any initiative or enthusiasm one would otherwise have for their position.

Advice to Senior ManagementResign. The company needs less of you and more of those in specialized fields.

VP Development

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Portsmouth, NH (US)

ProsNone what so ever! Oh Yes, if you can say "Yes Sir!" you will be a star.

ConsNo Vision or Goals. Very tactical no strategy. Treat workforce like an accordion. The CEO behavior is deplorable.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand software development 101 or remove the name "Technologies" from the name.

As short sighted as they come...

ProsI cannot think of any upside to working at Bottomline other than the potential to fade into the mix so much that you can pretty much just exist and take home your salary in many cases...mainly in Senior and Exec Management.

ConsInnovation (product or market) is NOT a strength, even though it's often talked about.
    Strategic thinking is NOT something that is practised.
    Enabling employees to be successful is NOT a focus, not matter what field or geography.
    Micro management is rife.
    Absolutely no appetite to stay the course to achieve success in new or emerging markets.
    BT is STRICTLY, almost cripplingly so, a 90 day revenue focussed business and it doesn't care how or where it comes from.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look outside the 4 walls and see how the REAL world, along with your competitors, is evolving.
    The business world is passing you by because you arrogantly refuse to keep up.

Worst company that I've ever worked for!

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Portsmouth, NH (US)

ProsGreat location, co-workers are great!

ConsCulture is purely toxic. Non revenue generating departments such as human resources have way too much influence on the "producers." Too many VP's and not strong enough middle management. Part of that issue is because no one is empowered at BT. The dysfunction here will eventually bring the company crashing down.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication must be improved. Since they are organized by product lines and verticals, communication between the silos is non-existent and very frustrating. You might also want to reduce the power in those non-revenue generating departments STAT. To have a VP in software development report to a VP in HR is ludicrous.

Many years ago, a great company to work for however the past several proved a toxic environment.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Portsmouth, NH (US)

ProsLocation. Nice building but poorly maintained. Previous associates a delight to work with. Decent insurance. The poor reputation of Bottomline and how they drive and abuse their employees helps to open doors to employees searching for a new employer.

ConsDysfunctional overpaid management on many levels lead to high stress, long days/weekends with no gratitude and often insist when you work each holiday that you just take another day off. Like they are doing employees a favor? Salary range is low but compared to unemployment it's reasonable when hired until the workload of three employees is handed over. Like it or leave is their attitude. Overpaid upper management enjoy outrageous bonus levels following a raise freeze and layoffs. Very TOXIC environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire an efficiency expert to come in for one week. One week observing will save hundreds of thousands wasted on middle management. Have your remaining managers enroll in training courses and seminars. Threatening and yelling at employees hardly motivates or creates a positive working environment. Better yet, bring Joe back to set the company straight.

Awesome Place To Work

ProsGreat People
    Moving in forward direction
    Truly value every employee within organization

ConsFew and Far between for cons

Worked for Bottomline Technologies? Contribute to the Community!