Bottomline Technologies

Bottomline Technologies Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Bottomline Technologies President, CEO, and Director Rob Eberle

Rob Eberle

EMEA Growth by acquisition, not focused on clients

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time

ProsTheir cash rich status will ensure stability in your career here. EMEA region is well established, with a managerial team that has grown steadily through acquisition

ConsThere's a lot of internal positioning that politics which will suck your time up in whatever role you take at this company. Their growth by acquisition approach typically results in throwing the valuable people away and adding products to their offering that they don't necessarily understand or know how to sell. Over time, the main area that suffers is the customer experience, ironically one of the main areas they spend their marketing budget on. Saying is not doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop working in silos and understand your processes from start to finish before assuming that your operations are in good working order. Give value to the client before bringing money into the equation.

Most recent 5 star review was a plant

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat review that speaks only the positive aspects of the company.

ConsThe fact that people feel the need to write bogus reviews on glassdoor to attract employees.
The reviews that aren't all perfect, and not the place for everyone, are manufactured stories.
Work/Life balance is one of the biggest problems here, and causing many long time great performers to quit.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport your current employees, don't fire them, and hire new ones at twice the salary.

A company that would like to monopolies but lacks integrity and direction

Support Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time for more than 8 years

Pros* A few slices of pizza one week of the month/Fruit on a Fridays etc
* Some good annual company events
* opportunity to travel to different office areas

Cons* Poor salary but, will pay contractors a generous sum
* No great insurance, pension plan or annual bonuses
* If you have come from an acquisition you will be treated like a second class citizen
* Management lacks the permission to make any true decisions
* Appraisals lead to dead ends, and are just a tick in the box for management.
* Will take on a lot of work from acquisitions, but will not employ new staff. This puts teams under a lot of pressure with little to no breathing space.

Stuck in the past, stalling in the present, scared of the future

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIn many ways, working at Bottomline is just your average, monotonous office job. That’s one of the nicest things I can say about this company.

Fruit bowls in the office, although sometimes under-provisioned, are a welcome touch.

Employees are given free food each fortnight, alternately breakfast bacon/sausage rolls (under the sickly guise of ‘Happy Monday’) and pizza. All this, but no healthcare plan. Trying to kill us off?

ConsGrowing too quickly for its infrastructure. The company is trying to double revenue every three years, yet ploughs so little of that money back into its increasingly overstretched systems that the whole thing is likely to come tumbling down at any minute.

Growth is through acquisition and the process seems to be:
1. buy company that’s turning over a decent profit by selling better software
2. make majority of the acquired company’s staff redundant
3. take over their customers in order to sell them Bottomline’s archaic software instead.

This is an American company and as such you can expect ‘mission statements’, motivational posters & regularly updated boiler plates, overbearing middle management requiring constant progress meetings, a total commitment to maximising short term profit and dictation from the US board regardless of your own local market.

It’s embarrassing to be involved with a company that claims to have fantastic customer service (there’s even a pitiful ‘customer service’ campaign with logos and mottos to convince people of this) but which has the highest ratio I’ve ever come across of unhappy to satisfied customers.

The fastest growing department is human resources. They need extra people to handle all the redundancies and resignations! Second is marketing, who are needed to create the motivational posters and customer service propaganda.

One part of the Reading office is bolted on to the Crown Prosecution Service building, with shallow airless work spaces. The other is an ex-warehouse office building with barely any natural light, with nowhere to go to escape the ‘work area’. In general the office atmosphere is muted and formal, making it a particularly unpleasant place to work.

Middle-senior management is a boys club. Not to say that it necessarily needs more women, but people in those positions should adjust their behaviour to lose some macho bravado and make some more level-headed decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to grow make sure you can handle it first. ‘Building houses on sand’ comes to mind.

The internet exists, embrace it. Other companies are miles ahead in ‘cloud’ products (i.e. they actually have one). Burying your heads in the sand isn’t going to make it go away, and competitors are taking away more of your core market each month. I suppose you could always just buy another company and bastardise their code instead of developing your own.

You’re clearly a software company but you’re scared of using the word ’software’ to describe your business activity. Make your minds up.

Senior management is not there to be worshipped, please cut back on the compulsory conferences where you expect our adulation for what you’ve been doing with your $3 million salary over the last few weeks.

Refreshing!

Technical Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat salary. Free massages. Pizza Friday. Car allowance. Friendly team. Reliable products and a friendly attitude. Annual holiday entitlement that increases yearly. Good bonus scheme.

ConsNeed to realise that they do encroach on the home/work balance sometimes too much. Staff need tolearn to map ready better when booking jobs. Very little quality control.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees ideas more.

Nice Company and people, but..

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Portsmouth, NH (US)

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat corporate philosophy, great ethic of working 'with and for' each other, good pride in their work.

ConsIt's a sweatshop. No other way to put it. They talk of 'work-life balance', but they do not walk the walk. Very long hours are frequently expected.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you say you believe in work life balance, practice that.

Bottomline Technologies was looking at their bottom line

Senior QA (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time for less than a year

ProsBottomline Technologies bought a division of Intuit's Financial Services. BT saw something there about the product lines and the customer base. But, as far as the human capital was concerned, they were picky and decided to retain what they needed and leave others such as myself behind.

ConsI am afraid I can't really say the Cons are working at Bottomline Technologies. I was there for only 6 weeks, and then escorted to the parking lot with the proverbial cardboard box in tow. Some of my former co-workers who are still there say things are going well for them. So, if the company needs you and wants you around -- then, things might work out just fine for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementGeez--make up your mind, will ya'?

Run away

I worked at Bottomline Technologies

ProsGood benefits, free fruit in the summer, free ice cream.

ConsIf you want your ideas, suggestions, and work to go unnoticed if your not in Portsmouth then this is the place for you. They are a national company trying to be a global company. When you have a distributed workforce you must utilize them to your advantage, this company doesn't know how to do this from middle management all the way up. Getting someone to respond via email is the most trying task I have ever seen in a company, I would have emails go days without a response and this from my own team. Since I was a remote user and not in Portsmouth there was never a feeling of being welcome by the majority of people. I watched and listened to people actually undermine the CIO, so there is no respect for the management at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to school and learn how to run a global company. You may be one of the biggest players in your market but you have a lot to learn.

Bottomline Technologies is a family wrecker

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time

ProsFree fruit, free ice cream truck in the summer, ok for people new to the job market who have no sense of their worth and are willing to work impossible hours without overtime pay. Good employee stock purchase plan. Employee of the quarter recognition. Community giving.
It's possible to survive here as long as you don't look at the outside employment opportunities.

ConsThe cost of this job is all too often one's family, marriage, or health. Even at the VP level people end up having to choose between keeping their family together or keeping their job. People get so overworked that it's common to get stopped in the hallway to hear employee griping. The HR department gives lots of lip service to quality of life but I the following are true stories of former employees :
An employee in building services was called back early from recovering from a tumor removal to pack up boxes for laid off employees and then he was laid off when he was done.
An employee was forced to choose between being with her mother the day that she died from cancer or lose her job. It was the end of the quarter and the end of the quarter is a hostage situation at BT.
Employees are regularly denied breaks at the end of the quarter simply because each quarter is poorly planned. Employees are often demeaned by having to ship software that isn't ready to be deployed, simply to get revenue recognition.
The CEO is all about image. It's not unusual for him to hint to employees that they should put positive reviews up here. I cringed when I saw that he publicized the murder of an employee in the Portsmouth, NH office while at the same time the company could be cold blooded to employees with ill family members. "FMLA? What's that?"
There is little to no career path. Managers treat annual reviews like they are a necessary evil and executives are often immune from wage freezes.
Once you leave BT and go to another employer you realize how undervalued you were and how poor the quality of work/life balance was. The CEO used to be known for parking his Porsche in the community college lot so that the employees wouldn't get a hint of how well off he was. Surfing the insider trading boards is an exercise in masochism that some employees indulge in.
The HR department doesn't participate in the employee quality of life. They seem to be there to defend the company against lawsuits.
When the CEO reads a book that inspires him he'll change the organization massively and sometimes negatively without getting employee feedback.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave. The "working with and for each other" line is insulting and disingenuous. One has to be careful walking in the hall to not have the CEO walk into you as if you are invisible. The employees have families. Stop trying to win awards and trying to get the world to believe that you are a great place to work and step aside and let someone who actually values employees to be in charge. Get rid of the ice cubes that run the HR department. There was a big downgrade in leadership several years ago and the promise of this employer is gone.
Shame on the leadership for strong arming employees to write positive reviews. It's funny to see the clues that they leave to make sure that the leader knows that it was they who wrote the review. Stop telling the employees how much cash you have on hand in one breath and to tell them that it isn't for raises in the next. It demonstrates extreme disconnect.
Headhunters used to look me in the eye and say, "how did you manage to stay there so long?" The better question is why?

Good company but lots of room for growth

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time for more than a year

ProsEmployees are go getters and want to impress and succeed and great benefits

ConsThere is a disconnect between management and employees. There is a desire to be a global company but the knowledge to do it successfully is severely lacking. There is very little sharing of information between employees and groups as people silo information to ensure their job, which causes lots of issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook through your employee base and find people who have worked for successful and unsuccessful global companies to see what knowledge they can bring to your company so all can succeed.

Worked for Bottomline Technologies? Contribute to the Community!

Bottomline Technologies – Why Work for Us?

Bottomline is proud of our team-oriented culture. Each day, the way we conduct business is anchored by our Guiding Principles. • Delight Customers • Innovate, Communicate, Win and Grow • Work With and For Each Other… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bottomline Technologies reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Bottomline Technologies CEO Rob Eberle. All 45 reviews are posted anonymously by Bottomline Technologies employees.