Bottomline Technologies

Updated 24 October 2014
3.1

Bottomline Technologies President, CEO, and Director Rob Eberle
Rob Eberle

Pros
  • Bottomline has a pretty good benefits plan for a company of its size (in 5 reviews)

• There are great people to work with and the benefits are top notch (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • They talk of 'work-life balance', but they do not walk the walk (in 8 reviews)

• No clear process for comp time when long hours to hit deliverables is a reality (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company for A players

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very much client delight focused, compensates well if you are making an impact.

Cons

if you are not good, does not take long to get fired

Downward spiral

Current Employee - Manager in Portsmouth, NH (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Portsmouth, NH (US)

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are good. Vacation time is good

Cons

Managers have no guidance. No open door policy with HR. No performance reviews. No job descriptions. No leadership or regard for employee growth. Many employees are underutilized.

Trust in your employees. Innovate the products. Hire leaders as managers. Recognize that your employees are your greatest asset.

Great example of how NOT to run a company.

Former Employee - Sales in Portsmouth, NH (US)
    Former Employee - Sales in Portsmouth, NH (US)

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Bottomline has a pretty good benefits plan for a company of its size.

Cons

CEO does an all employee call each quarter to discuss company financials - complete with cow bells, bad jokes, and laugh tracks. Something similar to a very bad vaudeville act. CEO likes to talk about how well the company is doing..... then cancels bonus payouts at will, even when the company achieves its financial targets.

Create a real growth strategy that is strategic - and not one that focuses on buying poor performing companies in adjacent markets at a discount - just to prop up near term quarterly earnings.

Bottomline Technologies, The Grass is Not Greener

Current Employee - Product Specialist
    Current Employee - Product Specialist

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There are great people to work with and the benefits are top notch.

Cons

The upper management Push, Push, Push to get everything done. Most employees seem to be overworked and under appreciated. There also seems to be a habit of cutting the workforce just prior to quarterly results so the "books" look more tenable to the Public Stock Holders.

Be more transparent and actually hire the staff necessary to carry the work load you expect to need.

Why do they keep Rob Eberle?

I worked at Bottomline Technologies

Pros

Some really nice people and nice work environment. They try to make it family friendly, but often this is in word not deed.

Cons

The CEO creates a hostile and demeaning atmosphere that is counterproductive to a healthy work environment. The pay is so-so and the benefits are average. The top management gets all the perks. The CEO drives a Porsche, naturally. There are no "free massages", so whoever wrote that is a bot.

It is time for Rob Eberle to go. What kind of strategy is it to denigrate your employees? Will this keep people here or attract the best people in the future? There are a lot of good people at Bottomline, but Eberle is a total fail. He blames others for his own mistakes, and instead of offering employees any constructive criticism so they might learn from a mistake he will send a scathing email copied to dozens of employees (guaranteed to embarrass) or shout at the poor person in front of half the office. I got out of this place fast because I have too much self-respect to put up with his crap.

Nice Company and people, but..

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portsmouth, NH (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portsmouth, NH (US)

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great corporate philosophy, great ethic of working 'with and for' each other, good pride in their work.

Cons

It's a sweatshop. No other way to put it. They talk of 'work-life balance', but they do not walk the walk. Very long hours are frequently expected.

If you say you believe in work life balance, practice that.

Bottomline Technologies was looking at their bottom line

Former Employee - Senior QA in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior QA in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Bottomline Technologies bought a division of Intuit's Financial Services. BT saw something there about the product lines and the customer base. But, as far as the human capital was concerned, they were picky and decided to retain what they needed and leave others such as myself behind.

Cons

I am afraid I can't really say the Cons are working at Bottomline Technologies. I was there for only 6 weeks, and then escorted to the parking lot with the proverbial cardboard box in tow. Some of my former co-workers who are still there say things are going well for them. So, if the company needs you and wants you around -- then, things might work out just fine for you.

Geez--make up your mind, will ya'?

Bottomline Technologies where incompetence meets ignorance

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Portsmouth, NH (US)
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Portsmouth, NH (US)

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits ...good locations across the US and UK . Below the VP level lots of great people. A good place for someone to start their career if only to see what not to do.

Cons

Environment as mentioned in numerous reviews is toxic. Sr management is borderline incompetent and without question arrogant and ignorant. The amount of wasted opportunity is beyond imagination. If you NEVER want to feel accomplished or successful you will fit right in. As soon as I have an option I will move on like most of the other good people.

To the CEO we all know your genuinely passionate about business and people but unfortunately your expressed ideals are not realized in your company.
    To the CEO beware of false prophets ... !
    To the CEO it's your job to know if your Sr. Management is effective ... If you held yourself to the standards you promote you would be a "C player" when evaluated on your direct reports effectiveness
    To the rest of Sr. Management and certainly to the newly anointed or promoted ... You really need to step away before you ruin the company ... The honeymoon is over the first part of solving the problem is knowing that you are the problem.

Excruciating and all consuming!

I worked at Bottomline Technologies

Pros

They don't realise when they're being ripped off and lied to, so if you have the stomach for the toxic culture, you can milk them for everything they're worth.

Cons

Incompetent, arrogant and completely myopic global executive management.
    Incomprehensible approach to market.
    Unethical customer and partner relations.
    Slow product development lifecycle.
    Predatory commercial practices.

Give it up! Stop lying to stock market analysts, your customers, your employees and yourselves.
    Let the good people do good things. Make the useless ones leave.

Run away

I worked at Bottomline Technologies

Pros

Good benefits, free fruit in the summer, free ice cream.

Cons

If you want your ideas, suggestions, and work to go unnoticed if your not in Portsmouth then this is the place for you. They are a national company trying to be a global company. When you have a distributed workforce you must utilize them to your advantage, this company doesn't know how to do this from middle management all the way up. Getting someone to respond via email is the most trying task I have ever seen in a company, I would have emails go days without a response and this from my own team. Since I was a remote user and not in Portsmouth there was never a feeling of being welcome by the majority of people. I watched and listened to people actually undermine the CIO, so there is no respect for the management at all.

Go back to school and learn how to run a global company. You may be one of the biggest players in your market but you have a lot to learn.

Bottomline Technologies Photos