Bottomline Technologies

www.bottomline.com
Engaged on Glassdoor

very nice place to work. Great benefit

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time

Pros

very strong culture. Relaxed working environment

Cons

no cons. all good so far

Great place to be, and great place to work!

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Portsmouth, NH (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Portsmouth, NH (US)

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people here are great, it's a very team-oriented, friendly environment.
    Lots of fun perks: latte/espresso machine, free fruit, ice cream Fridays, family trick or treating
    Bottomline is very involved with local charity organizations
    Benefits are very strong

Cons

Needs to be more communication between departments!

Better communication!

Good people, poor management

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

decent salaries and benefits. Very good medical benefits. Generous company in terms of charitable giving. Compensation was at or above market value for new hires.

Cons

short sighted focus with little to no long term vision for their software products. Negative political culture. Executives primary focus is making themselves look good and on quarterly profit. Management doesn't value people. Numerous employees were paid SIGNIFICANTLY below market value.

Still the best company to work for in NH!

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very good health benefits.
    Excellent Managers and co-workers.
    Company listens to suggestions.
    Senior most management is very approachable and makes time to listen to anyone, regardless of role or seniority.
    Successful company.
    Takes care of its employees.
    Very understanding about sick time, family emergencies, and extremely supportive when people are in need.
    Health fairs and free events to help manage stress / life.
    Many paths / roles to pursue within company.
    Tons of community outreach opportunities.
    Quarterly Donation from company to non-profit of one's choosing.
    Creativity, learning, and self improvement encouraged.
    Lots of family oriented events for holidays at work and outside of work. Example: Bring your kid to work day and Halloween are a big deal at Bottomline.

Cons

Extremely high stress level.
    Staffing levels are not optimal.
    Salaried staff sometimes work in excess of 60-70 hours a week, possibly more. In many cases this time spent is expected and necessary due to staffing levels.
    Starting vacation time is less than provided by other companies.

Continue to pursue innovation.

As more products are added, and exponentially more customers, seriously consider adding more staff and not wearing out current experienced, motivated, and dedicated staff who love Bottomline Technologies and helping people.

Be the Great company! Don't be like other companies where staff are replaced like light bulbs. People are not expendable.

Outstanding and rewarding experience over almost 6 years with great opportunity for growth.

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Customer focused organization reinforced at all levels. Company develops and maintains very strong relationships with customers which is a foundational component of Bottomline's success. Demonstrated commitment to support employees especially in times of need as well as a strong supporter of community activities and charity organizations. Shared guiding principles that unite the organization and serve as the basis for how we work with one another. Great benefits package. Strong business that is doing well in the market-place and successful results are shared with employees through bonuses, stock purchase program, 401k match and annual salary reviews. Plenty of opportunities to grow and build a career.

Cons

Given that Bottomline is a global high-growth and fast-paced software company, there can be periods of time where one's schedule is demanding. Work-life balance can be challenging at times but generally very manageable -- just something each individual needs to own and work at regularly.

Continue the All Employee Meetings at the Corporate, Line of Business and Department levels -- this provides great sharing of information with employees and ensures everyone is aligned on the most important objectives of the business. Focus on developing more internal learning programs to augment employee growth.

Hard work pays off! Great opportunities at growing company.

Current Employee - Director of Development in Portsmouth, NH (US)
    Current Employee - Director of Development in Portsmouth, NH (US)

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company rewards dedicated employees, great benefits. Company promotes innovation in a great environment with many talented peers to learn from. There is a well defined innovation compensation program that pays for patents and innovative ideas. I have worked here for many years and there is much opportunity for career growth. Company understands the work family balance.

Cons

If you are not a motivated independent person this company may not be for you. While there is a great college hire program and mentorship program for new hires it is expected that you can do your job or communicate quickly when you are in need of help. Like any software related position long hours are required when releases approach but this is cyclical and the company understands the need for balance.

Excellent and rewarding work environment!

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

One of the biggest pro's are the benefits. They are robust and affordable. Bonuses are paid quarterly and they are generous. Hard work is recognized, but you have to work hard! There are long hours when the situation calls for it, however; they are also flexible with time off, sick time, comp time, etc. After reading some reviews, I was concerned but, knowing my own situation, I wonder if those people actually spoke to their managers regarding their circumstances. I can't imagine having to chose work over family, and I do not see that, even in my position, where I am exposed to many departments and many levels of employees. Having to work after hours or hours that are not usually defined as working hours is sometimes required as some of the work that is necessary cannot be done during that time. This is the nature of the business. You can't upgrade software during business hours, if you don't know that prior to coming to work for a software company, then that's a problem.

Cons

Opportunities for job growth outside of the corporate headquarters are not heard of often. The employees are responsible for their own development, and although that is also a Pro, knowing what positions or career paths are available is sometimes not as clear.

My advice to management is to do your best to keep the a positive work dynamic. Take the time to listen to the people actually doing the work. You may have a superstar on the team, but just not the "right team". Having the right employees in the right team is a win-win situation. Having a person with great skills but doesn't work great with the rest of the team really isn't beneficial to anyone.

Amazing company to work for!

Current Employee - Paymode-X Vendor Advocate in Portsmouth, NH (US)
    Current Employee - Paymode-X Vendor Advocate in Portsmouth, NH (US)

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Bottomline is an amazing company to work for as they care very much for their employees at work and outside of work. They uphold a "live and work with and for each other" enviroment inside of work and out. They truly mean it. They have outstanding benefits and compensation is above and beyond. They do not sell you short on anything. Rob cares very much about his employees as well. The people I work with are all there to help you succeed and to keep the wonderful culture of BT ramped up. If someone doesn't have a smile give them your smile and always be positive. I love this company. They also promote employee growth. They are very supportive of any movement you want to make in the company to advance your career there.

Cons

I haven't had any challenges present themselves since I started working here. As long as one keeps a positive outlook in life and work they will find success at this company.

Keep up the great culture!

Valued, validated, and happy

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I've been at BT for close to two years. I've never been happier in a job. And I’m not hard to please, I usually just like working, I’m happy to just have something to keep my brain busy, that’s all I really ask. This is different.

I actually love everything about it. My coworkers are amazing, I’ve made amazing friends here, I love what we do for our customers, there is an amazing sense of teamwork, I feel intellectually stimulated, and every time I visit the office I get hugs and meet new people and have fantastic conversations.

Cons

Understanding how to communicate is essential. There will always be more to do than is possible, so it's really important to understand communicating about priorities. I've never been asked to do something impossible, but I put in a lot of effort to ensure that I'm spending my time on what's important, and communicating what can't get done until when.

Continue the positive reinforcement of wanted employee behavior and accompilshment. This has been a big deal for me and getting this validation motivates me every day.

I have been with BT for 5 years and in 3 different roles - each one with greater opportunity and responsibility.

Current Employee - Vice President in Portsmouth, NH (US)
    Current Employee - Vice President in Portsmouth, NH (US)

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

BT has some of the best people I've worked with. Teams I have worked on are always willing to help you and collaborate to achieve common goals, whether business teams or technical teams.

Cons

BT is great for people with an entrepreneurial mindset - those who are able to think strategically and act tactically and like both. If you are willing to roll up your sleeves and get involved in the details, while also being able to balance longer-term goals, you will do well. If this is not you, then you may struggle to achieve success here.

Bottomline Technologies Photos