Bottomline Technologies Reviews

Updated 25 April 2015
95 reviews filtered by

1. You will not be bored

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH (US)

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies

Pros

The company is aggressive - this means that people are encouraged to find new ways to move things forward. This is combined with a very strong "Work and and for each other" atmosphere. The people that succeed here welcome new things and taking on new challenges.
    The vast majority of the senior leadership is very strong and very knowledgeable. There are no Dilbert-esqe "middle managers". Everyone rolls up their sleeves and contributes.
    You are in charge of your own professional growth. No one is going to mandate/dictate what you need to do. Yet at the same time there is an expectation that you will take on this responsibility.

Cons

It is not for everybody. If you need very rigid hierarchies, you will not like it. If you need to be told what to do all the time, you will not like it.
    Work/life balance can be a little tricky. People that thrive are those who's passion for their work is a real driver in their lives.

Advice to Management

Keep the core culture as the company continues to grow.

False sense of security

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work Life balance and consistent bonuses.

Cons

This company periodically does lay offs, wit no warning or any indication that you may be laid off. In my time there I provided excellent customer service and increased my revenue year over year. Then after multiple great reviews and raises, I was unexpectedly laid off. Very poor business model. Upper management knows nothing about the product they are offering and communication between teams is non existing. I do not recommend this company to work for.

Advice to Management

It is more expensive to keep hiring new employees, only to et them go after a few years, then to consistently hire and train new individuals. In addition it creates poor client retention. Lastly, know your product!

Worst place to work

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Portsmouth, NH (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Portsmouth, NH (US)

I worked at Bottomline Technologies

Pros

Everyone can get a free iPhone.

Cons

Worked in a small and a very simple project that were totally messed up by the management and some of team members. People who have no knowledge of technologies were put in the place to manage the project and make technical decisions. Project manager plays favoritism and a lot of politics is involved in the project. The project that I once worked on can be done by single senior developer in 2 or 3 months. They couldn't even get the basic funtionality working for 3 months with 3 or 4 senior developers on the project team. This company is a joke. They can only buy products that were built by other companies. They will never be able to build anything by themselvels.

Advice to Management

Stop playing favoritism and let the people who can do the job to do the job.

Highly competitive environment, excellent benefits but absolutely no loyalty to employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME (US)

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits and perks
    Friendly atmosphere; workforce skews young (<35)
    Employees at all levels encouraged to define their own path and suggest product and process improvements
    Lots of opportunities to move and grow within the company
    Legitimate access to all levels of management straight up to the CEO

Cons

Very political atmosphere - if you don't "play the game" and play hard every day you will either disappear into the background or get cut without warning.
    Annual contraction of staff - happened all five years I was there, at the same time every year. Often, the decisions seem either political or arbitrary because there were no glaring performance issues (they don't wait for the annual contraction to remove non-performing employees, understandably).
    No parity of salary - you could sit right next to someone that does the same job but has been there for less time and makes significantly more money than you.
    HR is too powerful - I've never worked at a company where the HR Department/Director carries as much stroke as executive management.

Advice to Management

Figure out staffing levels so as not to constantly repeat the cycle of massive expansions and significant contractions. If you need 10 people to handle a workload efficiently, don't hire 15 and then fire 8 of them once the staff matures. I would understand a one-time mass layoff, but it's done every single year. This promotes fear and distrust.

Poor senior management, lack of foresight with workload planning

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time

Pros

Flexible with working at home, IT staff is very accommodating, bonuses

Cons

Staff are often ignored. Customers and sales teams are given free reign to make promises that can't be kept.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people, promote from within and plan for greater workloads rather than scramble to hire & train.

You were warned

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are a lot of talented people at this company trying to make it better. Great pay and benefits.

Cons

Obsessed over growth by acquisition and public perception instead of genuine R&D. BT will suck the life out of you if you aren't careful. It is the most bizarre culture I've ever been a part of. They truly have the people and solutions to be great but upper management is just too stubborn and arrogant to allow it. They would rather acquire a company for $50m than entrust their own employees with that investment. Yet they pound their chest about "innovation." They rely on these creepy, cult-like phrases like "with and for" and "delighting customers". It comes straight from top. Some of the worst performers know how to spin the right words and lay low enough to win corporate survivor. It is damn near impossible to get someone fired so there are a lot of B-teamers lurking. HR has betrayed the confidentiality of employees multiple times and will pass things said in private right up to the top. If the company dropped the employee stock purchase plan, I would expect a mass exodus. I believe the excellent pay and benefits has left a lot of people feeling trapped.

Advice to Management

Empower the smart people you have within the company to lead us to success. Management by my intimidation does not work on successful professionals and most of us aren't trapped in Portsmouth with few options. Please have a top to bottom review of talent and remove the dead wood. We've got more VPs than IBM. Many people stopped contributing to the bottom line long ago. Restore integrity to HR by finding new leadership. Lastly, speak to some peers in the software industry to learn how other CEOs structure and grow their businesses. Take off the accountant hat every once in a while to let the company breathe and have fun. You'll be surprised.

8. Great place to work, lives it culture from top to bottom.

Former Employee - Principal Software Developer in Charlotte, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Principal Software Developer in Charlotte, NC (US)

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good mixture of ability to innovate with right sized teams. Very competitive pay, great health and other benefits. There's a lot of good people at Bottomline. It is a company that lives its culture of C1 and "working with and for each other". This all translates into the marketplace with a strong reputation for taking care of its customers.

Cons

Occasional peaks in work hours, but that isn't exactly rare for software companies. Parts of the company still adjusting to an agile based development process, but that is getting better with each release.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep linking everything the company does to the guiding principles. The quarterly all employee updates do a great job of this and refocuses everyone, plus they are entertaining as well :). There seems to be a good balance of re-investing in the next wave of products and not just catering to the stock price.

9. Fantastic place to work! Great team! Inspiring management!!

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time

Pros

Bottomline provides unlimited opportunity in a fast paced environment. An amazing group of passionate, talented people. Open communication and continued growth in multiple verticals provides for continued growth and new challenges. The company truly cares about its people and demonstrates it in so many ways from the CEO on down!! Very glad i chose Bottomline!

Cons

Fast paced company. Not the right place for someone who wants to punch a clock or hide.

Advice to Management

Continue leading the company with heart and passion! Don't let growth turn it into an ordinary big company.

10. very nice place to work. Great benefit

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time

Pros

very strong culture. Relaxed working environment

Cons

no cons. all good so far

11. Good place to work

I worked at Bottomline Technologies

Pros

They have great benefits there.

Cons

ThewWork life balance needs to improve.

Bottomline Technologies Photos