Boy Scouts of America

Updated 23 January 2015
3.3

Boy Scouts of America Chief Scout Executive Wayne Brock
Wayne Brock

Pros
  • Can truly make a difference in the lives of today's youth (in 15 reviews)

• You get to meet great people trying to better their community (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Ultimately I left to achieve a better work life balance for my family's sake (in 17 reviews)

• Hours can be real long and there are many nights and weekends (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Best place to work and meet new people and friends I would defiantly recommend working for the Dining Hall great bosses

Current Employee - Kitchen Manager in Cimarron, NM (US)
    Current Employee - Kitchen Manager in Cimarron, NM (US)

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Hours are great you get to hike for free and a great view of the mountains great people to work with and awesome bosses

Cons

The pay is not too bad

Great company for 1st job after college

Former Employee - District Executive in Tacoma, WA (US)
    Former Employee - District Executive in Tacoma, WA (US)

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

+ Sales Training: 2 weeks in TX
    + benefits package begins 1st day of work and it's full-benefits: dental, doctor, vision, prescription, only bummer: 401(k) & pension begins after 1 year! Yes, there IS a pension working for BSA!
    + working with high-level CEOs, and community leaders
    + civic leadership & community involvement

Cons

- leadership & corporate structure is outdated compared to other non-profits
    - extremely high turnover with your peers points to red flag
    - training program is not conducive to parents or executives over age 30, as it's 8-5pm, 7-9pm for 2 full weeks away from home!
    - pay is lower than other outside sales roles with a BA Degree, yet the experience of rubbing-elbows with CEOs will open doors to jump-ship when you need to
    - wear & tear on personal vehicle for company usage sucks, even when they pay mileage, it doesn't cover tires or oil changes!
    - hours! Long hours is fine when you are fresh out of college in your 20s. You'll work some days at 7am-9pm, earning less than 40k/year!
    - if you are not in agreement with BSA's stance on gays, guns, religion, or values, DO NOT WORK HERE! This IS a values-based organization. Better to be in-line with company than against it or it'll chew your soul.

Revamp the training program! It's great to learn how to eat properly, and it's good to teach those skills, but the hours until 9pm digs into a quality-balance of work/play. Most corporate trainings go from 8:30am-5:pm, normal. 2 full weeks away from family for training is not easy on those with children!

Also, most non-profits revamped their corporate structure to make the DE's job into 3 separate & specialized roles, fundraising, volunteer management, recruiting. The overall structure basing off the military and moving the Scout Exec every 3 years is very-outdated! Keeping a SE around to serve their community is better for most cities.

Where in the world is HR? It seems non-existant for a company this large!! Very outdated to not have a company website that is corporate! (Volunteers operate and own the domain!!)

District Executive

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America

Pros

Culture, build network, flexibility, self manager

Cons

Too many responsibilities to juggle, low pay, good Ol' boy philosophy, no work life/job balance

Learn to lead

Your Mileage May Vary

Former Employee - District Executive in Findlay, OH (US)
    Former Employee - District Executive in Findlay, OH (US)

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The BSA can be a great organization to work for. Many great interactions with volunteers and Scouts alike. Programs are fun to run and some people truly appreciate the work you do, and will let you know it.
    This all depends on where you work, of course, and the situation of your territory.
    The training at the National headquarters in Texas is top-notch. If you are in the right area, advancement may happen quickly.

Cons

Long Hours, Minimal Vacation. You are pretty much always "On Call". Even when I was on one of my 12 (never consecutive) vacation days per year, I would get calls from my boss to take care of things. Newer technologies (smartphones, Skype) make the leash even shorter.
    Management varies wildly. My experience was fraught with micro-management and being given no track for advancement or transfer to a different council once the regime changed.
    When you go to training in Texas, you meet other District Executives from all over the country. I got to see my fellows promoted and supported in ways that our council just didn't do.

Some managers are amazing. When I started with the BSA in Ohio, we had a Scout Executive who was all about recruitment and putting on good programs. "Get the kids in the door with a promise of good programming and then deliver" would sum up what was most important to him.
    After 6 months, that Exec retired and we got in a new one totally focused on Finance. This sounded great to the Board, but things went poorly after that. Nearly the entire staff, including some 5-10 year veterans, was turned over. Making money was the primary focus. We didn't hit membership targets, camp enrollment suffered, and surprise! We lost money. After one camp season there was a $50,000 deficit, and we happened to have an Field Director who was suddenly superfluous. She was unceremoniously cut, just like the rest of us.
    Well, the Districts lost money. Due to the SE schmoozing with the industries throughout the territory, the central council campaign did well on paper, which was enough to get this SE promoted out of our Council.
    My position was eliminated (along with several others) to create 4-county super Districts as a cost cutting measure. None of the subsequent District Execs in that District last long; there are just too many dashboard hours and too many volunteers to try and keep happy. The volunteers are unhappy anyway, because they now have to travel across two counties to get to district events.
    Be like my first SE. Recruit and keep them coming back with solid programming, and the money will follow.
    Play a numbers game and everyone loses.

Hostile Work Environment

Former Employee - District Executive in Reno, NV (US)
    Former Employee - District Executive in Reno, NV (US)

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, good benefits, 401k match after 1 year.

Cons

Terrible management, if you're reading this run the other way as fast as you can. The BSA is dieing a slow painful death and upper level management takes it out on the employees. Promotion only if you are willing to move around the country. Be prepared to work EVERY night and weekend at multiple points during the year. NOT a job for the married with children.

Resign or retire and let younger people save the organization.

An absolute professional experience!

Former Employee - District Executive in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - District Executive in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time (more than a year)

Pros

A non-profit organization that focuses on helping people grow professionally. They invest much in the professional growth of their employees by offering superior training and professional development as well as offering great benefits and incentives. Such an awesome organization to work for and I regret leaving.

Cons

It can be a super demanding and many times overwhelming. If you are ready to be married to your job then perfect fit, if you want a work/life balance this may not be the job for you. If you are a high achiever and like the constant challenge and demand meeting deadlines and goals then this might be a place to be.

Incentives and benefits are the way to boost moral.

Great career to help build communities and provide opportunities for youth.

Current Employee - Professional in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Professional in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility of schedule, advancement opportunities, value to society of work performed

Cons

lots of meetings, short term/sighted goals may hamper achievement of the goals in the long term, rigid hierarchy

looking good is less important than being good

Supply Group-Bent over backwards for the company and ended up getting screwed

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They provide plentiful PTO and vacation days every year. Most of your peers are nice and helpful. Merchandise is of decent quality and easy to sell.

Cons

Benefits: Expensive. Point of service software is outdated and a pain to work with. Pay for management is below the standard and raises are a joke. Communication is broken between upper level management and the stores. It's all about the "good old boy" network here.

A great deal of tolerance is needed for this position.

Current Employee - Program Leader in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Program Leader in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America

Pros

Working with the boys can be amazing or incredibly challenging. The attitude of the boys depends on the school and grade. When they are easy to work with, the boys are fun to work with and they can impress you.

Cons

At some schools the boys are a bit to handle. It's hard to get their attention and they can be outright disrespectful. You have to drive a lot.

Boy Scouts of America Photos