Bridgepoint Education

Bridgepoint Education Reviews

Updated 22 March 2015
125 reviews filtered by

1. I worked for Bridgepoint Education for more than 5 years

Former Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Bridgepoint Education full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The medical benefit plans and wellness programs are above average, Education for employees. 13 paid holidays, plus a gift of holiday time from the CEO annually. The facilities are very comfortable and the interior design is very modern. Gym facilities, onsite cafeteria, and convenient work locations. The salaries are competitive. They do give back to the community through a variety charitable activities and promote education through grant programs.

The mission of the organization and it's leadership have remained consistent to provide high quality, innovative education services to enrich student's lives through higher education via their institutions (Ashford University and University of the Rockies) and technologies (Thuze and Waypoint Outcomes) . Their quest to modernize the student learning experience through their innovative technologies (formerly Thuze, Waypoint Outcomes etc) makes for a more positive learning experience. The quality of my education at a traditional college was horrible in comparison. I have witnessed thousands of students turn their dream into a reality.at AU and UoR.

Cons

During my tenure, the organization was top heavy and during the high growth period, it was obvious that the Executive team and the HR Leadership did not have the experience in OD, workforce planning and talent management. Communication and collaboration is a hit or miss. In my opinion, working in silos reduced efficiency in the overall operation of my department, it also reduced morale and made it confusing as to who was doing what, and it contributed to the demise of a productive departmental culture.

Some but not all promotions were being handed to "friends" "family" or the "fave" with no equal opportunity for others to apply and interview (no policy or procedure to ensure a fair process) which still exists today.

They are still very much a young organization with a lot of room for improvement, but this does not make them any different from other organizations.

Lack of follow through on certain promises in "Town Hall" meetings with CEO and minimal contact with Executive Leadership.

Professional development budget eliminated for some, but not others, bonuses for managers were eliminated.

Advice to Management

Follow through on what you promise or don't promise it; flatten out the organization, hold ALL your VPs, AVPs, Directors accountable for their performance (some are taking advantage of the "life" in the work/life balance) Ensure that ALL departments are demonstrating that they are collaborating on their assigned initiatives by eliminating silos, and pay a surprise visit to their weekly meetings. Promotions should go through a more formalized process and eliminate nepotism. Secret shop your talent acquisition team to ensure a better candidate interview and onboarding experience.

2. Interesting

I worked at Bridgepoint Education

Pros

proprietary education is an interesting and quickly growing industry

Cons

inefficient executive team and higher level leadership; sales environment, people seem to mainly be concerned with the bottom line and not actually working to efficiently and effectively address operational matters

Advice to Management

listen to your employees; implement some of their ideas

3. Great place to work, sad it ended

I worked at Bridgepoint Education full-time (more than a year)

Pros

As a software developer Bridgepoint had a great working environment. You get to work with very current technologies, follow an agile development process, and develop genuine friendships with co-workers. The compensation and benefits package was also very good.

Cons

The biggest con was senior management. They seemed very much stuck in the "this is how we made money before" mindset. Due to this, the company overall was struggling financially. This eventually led to multiple mass layoffs in back to back years.

Advice to Management

Be more forward thinking. Communicate better with staff. Be more transparent.

5. Good job

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education

Pros

Good manager and good department

Cons

Lots of changes, periodic layoffs

6. Too many meetings and too repetitive

I worked at Bridgepoint Education full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Solid pay and decent benefits. You get paid every two weeks and it's a full time job.

Cons

Very repetitive, no room for growth, too many meetings, a lot of shady things behind closed doors.

7. Maturing company, going in the right direction.

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people. Focus on improving lives of students. Maturing and headed in the right direction.

Cons

Fewer opportunities within the company than there used to be.

It's a great company to start your career with.

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are amazing and you gain experience in a corporate setting. It was a great way for me to learn the ins and outs of the corporate work environment.

Cons

The position I was in could get monotonous; finding ways to make the workday more enjoyable for entry-level employees could reduce turn-over rate.

Advice to Management

It would benefit employees in entry level positions to gain experience in other job functions. I would suggest an official internal internship or mentoring program to help employees advance their careers.

9. One Way or Another Get That Student to Admissions

I worked at Bridgepoint Education full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits & pay, however not all time off requests are honored, even with plenty of notice. Weekend shifts are required. Supportive team environment.

Cons

Managers are inconsistent in communicating with their teams changes from upper management. Policies are constantly changing as the university evolves. Shifts, management and team changes are continual. Being flexible is expected. Weekend shifts are mandatory and there is no extra pay for working weekends. Work is not challenging, no room for advancement. Dead end job.

Advice to Management

Quality conversations with students matter vs. quick as possible. There needs to be room for advancement and leadership within the department as the jobs are not challenging.

Don't Waste Your Time!!!

Former Employee - IT Manager in San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - IT Manager in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Bridgepoint Education

Pros

None! There is no personal growth, and the management is poor.

Cons

Bridgepoint has some serious prolems within the organization. There is no upward careeer mobility. Management does not listen to any recommendations by its employees, nor do they bring on the most qualified people they interview. Bridgepoint is known for interviewing a dozen people at a time and then never extending an offer. Only to repeat the process again, again, and again. Many times they will tell the people prior to the interview a specific salary range just to get their foot in the door. If Bridgepoint does extend an offer, they do the old Bait-and-Switch with a lower salary figure. If you are looking to move your career upward I would highly recommend not wasting your time with Bridgepoint!

Advice to Management

Quit!

Would you tell your mother, wife, or sister to stay with a good looking rich guy that mentally abuses her 24/7?

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Bridgepoint Education full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fellow employees. Nice building. Benefits.

Cons

They think they own you and you should have no life outside of work. Good luck trying to use your great benefits, won't get a dentist appointment approved- ever. Also, they micro-manage worse than the DEA in a meth house raid. You won't be able to take a number 2 in the restroom without being questioned where were you for 2 minutes. They give you the worst, beat-up leads that are over 5 years old and expect you to convert them or they will write you up for not meeting their core competencies. They get very intimidated if you question their unethical sales tactics and will fire you immediately if you say you believe they practice unethical sales tactics. I had a student that her husband was a marine and he was killed in the war so she wanted to take a break in between her class so I told her it was fine and my manager was listening to the call and wrote me up for not being able to overcome her objection of wanting to put off school. I looked at my manager and told her I have morals and karma will have its way with her. I had 11 different managers in 3 years and also 5 different directors. If you are a minority and love to brown nose - you will be promoted quickly if you drink the Kool-Aid like they tell you too. They will degrade you, ride you, and threaten your job every hour on the hour. I was making great money in a very tough job market in San Diego, CA and I would rather eat out of a trash can in the men's bathroom on the beach and sleep in prison in Tijuana, Mexico than put up with micro-managing, losers that would enroll anyone as long as they qualify for financial aid.

Advice to Management

Better go to church every Sunday because you are in line for the incinerator in hell!

Bridgepoint Education Photos