Bridgepoint Education

Updated 17 December 2014
2.6

Bridgepoint Education CEO and Director Andrew S. Clark
Andrew S. Clark

Pros
  • Good benefits, decent wage for the area, San Diego has a higher cost of living (in 7 reviews)

• positive working environment, work life balance is positive (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Too many managers and directors (in 4 reviews)

• The upper management just keeps getting richer on the backs of those below them (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Best Professional Career Crash Course

Former Employee - Learning and Development in San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Learning and Development in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Bridgepoint Education full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company has good benefits, a matching 401k, a gym and many other perks like great buildings and technology to work with. In this company you can enter as a student fresh out of college , in turn gaining the most fantastic professional career training experience. If you have the drive, you will quickly move up rank in the company finding fantastic professional development opportunities. I started out entry level making hardly $30,000 but 7 years later I was making nearly $70,000. Along the way I met so many wonderful people. Seriously, the talent pool in this company is unreal and many of the people there are like minded young professionals. It is a high stress and high stakes job blended with the environment that young professionals can create that is fun. I am thankful for my time here and the people I met. As these people forever helped to shape me as a professional. I now feel like I can handle any situation that is thrown my way in my new career because at Bridgepoint changes and trouble shooting are part of the job. To sum it up-Bridgepoint is like professional bootcamp.

Cons

The con is the changes that always are happening but it also keeps it a dynamic environment. Talent people get burned out here because of the rapid work pace and the constant changes in process. It can be hard to watch talent people leave but that happens at every company.

Of the 5 managers I had here 4 were fantastic. Keep up the great work managers I know what a hard job it is!

Top Heavy

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education

Pros

Work with extremely smart, motivated developers.

Cons

Too many managers and directors.

Titanic with music band and all.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good hardworking employees who enjoy teamwork.

Cons

Andrew Clark only cares about himself and not the employees
    Benefit plans are substandard.

Adjust your staff numbers accordingly sooner rather than bit by bit. You are slowly killing your staff's loyalty because of the fear of rolling heads!

Realistic view of BPI and Ashford U

Current Employee - Training in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Training in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, the ones that are left

Cons

In many ways, the organization represents what is worst about for-profit education. It is more concerned about profit then actually teaching students. As I have mentioned to current employees, it is time to get out. The for-profit sector is in trouble due to a negative public perception and heavy competition This institution in particular is very ruthless and cutthroat as it relates to its employees, as evidenced by the multiple layoffs and low morale of those who are left over

Good company, great coworkers, needs to learn accountability

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time

Pros

I have been here about 7 years. I love working here, and have always liked my coworkers. I have found some life-long friends here. I also really enjoy the work I do, and have seen my professional career take huge leaps while I've been here.

I have earned several promotions, and am happy with the pay. There were times where I felt underpaid, I put my head down... worked... and earned a better job with better pay. I will always recommend this company to the right person.

Cons

The training is a bit lax here. It hurts that the company is not doing great financially, but it should still invest in the people it has. Since layoffs have hit over the last year or two, moral has been negatively affected. And immediately following a layoff, a lot of the top talent leaves for other opportunities. I've seen a lot of smart, good people leave, and I believe it hurts the company in the long run.

Reading a lot of the other reviews, the Admissions (recruiting/telemarketing) group seems to write most of the negative reviews. The culture in Admissions is not good. There is a lack of accountability to leadership, and in general poor management in the middle-management layer. People are cleaning the wrong house by letting lower level people go, and they seem afraid to let go of Directors and VPs in the Admissions group. Yet those are the people who seem to generate the culture of fear. Until that changes, I don't see a great future for Admissions. And since Admissions drives the revenue... the company as a whole...

Be accountable to what you say. Offer a message we can believe in, and we will follow.

positive

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education

Pros

positive working environment, work life balance is positive

Cons

struggles with career growth for individual employees, brings in outside employees versus promoting from within

I love my work environment.

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Management is always seeking out ways to create a work culture that exceeds the norm. The people I work with are great. There is hardly a dull moment.

Cons

The only con, which can be viewed as a pro, is that there is always change. Any company not adapting is sure to fall. So while adjusting can be annoying, it also helps the longevity of my employment!

Avoid

I worked at Bridgepoint Education

Pros

*Appears* to be an exciting environment full of opportunities for growth and efficiency
    Somewhat progressive adopting newer technologies

Cons

"Business as usual" approach to problems
    Reactive to issues but no traction to devise solutions
    Barriers between teams within the same dept
    Management hides the issues within each each group to avoid the spotlight.

Look closely at the communication and readiness among teams to work towards a common goal in improving the customer experience. There is more focus on keeping things out of the spotlight than there is cooperation between the various teams to grow the business.

Enrollment counselor

Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits, salary, hours and coworkers

Cons

the pressure to sell, mangement

re-think how you are getting leads, make education more affordable, appreciate employees.

Not a bad company to work for

I worked at Bridgepoint Education full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Had a good environment at first but went kind of downhill. I had great managers while I was there and I knew they were on my side.

Cons

Numbers are super important to the company overall and the organization is constantly adding people and then laying them off. No real analysis of what they need.

Get some people in that can project more accurately so that you can grow and not have so many turn-overs.

Bridgepoint Education Photos