Brinker

Brinker Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Brinker Chairman, President, and CEO Doug Brooks

Doug Brooks

Pros
  • Flexible hours during down times(in 5 reviews)

• Compensation, structure, ability to move up and be promoted from within(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours management can treat you like a child(in 6 reviews)

Not for those who care or want to succeed

Culinary Manager (Current Employee)

ProsYou get a paycheck, that's it.

ConsAs a manager, you are constantly required to cut hours to make your budget/plan. By doing this, you are required to cook, be a dishwasher, be a server, be a host, run the window, etc. we put in 70 hour work weeks and then get the "you need to cut more hours" from the schedule.

Your GM is not held accountable. You will work your butt off to get ahead but at the end of the day, it's just to make them look good. I was recently told to "figure out the solution" for a problem we've had for a year. My GM doesn't care about it. Rather than hold him accountable, it's left to me. It's easier to tell me to do something rather than my boss who is ultimately the one who should be making those decisions

Work life balance is absolutely non existent. They talk a big game but there's no follow through.

I've been promotable for 2 years and have been passed over twice. They don't like promoting women. It's only happened once in my career (almost 8 years).

Advice to Senior ManagementHold GMs accountable for their location, not only their managers. Very few of us are getting the development we need and deserve. You are constantly telling us to. "Look in the mirror". May I suggest you do the same?

We can cut all the hours you want but that work is still there to do. Your managers aren't leaders, they are highly paid hourly workers.

Excellent management and employee support

Server (Former Employee) Ormond Beach, FL (US)

ProsManagers are some of the best in the industry. In confluence with the sincere, caring work environment, it is second to none. Excellent employee training.

ConsHard to get full time as a server. However 30 hours is considered full time in the food industry by many, so that may be why.

Advice to Senior ManagementDelineate side work so that staff is not responsible for designating duties. This would help to ensure equity in designation of side work.

A fabulous culture that's dying...

ProsThere are many nice people and a relaxed work environment.

ConsNew management is trying to make Brinker better but in doing so, they loose what sets Brinker apart. Things aren't the same anymore and every decision that is made seems to make things worse.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Managing Partner/General Manager (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV (US)

ProsLove Chili's. Flexible work hours and schedule. Pay for performance, the bette you do, the better you make.

ConsHealth benefits are sub par. Used to be an industry leader in this, but have fallen way behind.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink 5-10 years ahead. Unemployment will return to the lows it was 5-6 years ago, at which point you will need something to attract talent.

Great place to develop career foundations

Marketing Director (Former Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsGreat culture, career developers, many professional connections

ConsSiloed departments, needs more R&D for future growth

A great opportunity to further your career.

Area Sales Manager - Atlanta (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsCompensation, structure, ability to move up and be promoted from within.

ConsHuge company, small budgets, very share holder oriented.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut more stock into employee ability to move intra-company.

Merciless and completely unsupportive management. No job security for even the most loyal workers.

Takeout/Deliveries (Former Employee) Bellevue, WA (US)

Pros-Occasionally good tips
    - Nice coworkers

Cons- Management will throw any employee "under the bus" and/or terminate them for any minor reason (if you're not randomly on their good side) without any counseling or correction first.
    - Unreasonable work conditions due to firing people without hiring/cross training additional employees to fill the positions.
    - Cannot speak your mind/voice reasonable opinions without repercussions.
    - Management (as well as the employee New Hire booklet) is unknowledgeable of employee rights and laws.
    - Empty promises of cross-training and promotions, cannot ask for any without getting shot down with no explanation. Only put where they want you without given the chance to prove yourself in other areas they still need someone.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry supporting your employees for once. At least give them a chance instead of always siding with every dissatisfied customer you encounter.

Worked for the company for ten years...

Bartender (Former Employee) Denver, CO (US)

ProsI don't have to work there anymore

ConsNew upper management are the same people that destroyed Macaroni Grill (when was the last time yo ate there?)
    All grills have been taken out (it still says grill above the door though... not too honest) and replaced with infared convection microwaves. But staff is trained to LIE to guests about this...SHADY!!!
    Tenured employees are shown the door because they want to "change the culture" every six months
    Bartenders are required to WATERDOWN drinks!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to fast food where you belong!

Great place to work!

Financial Analyst (Former Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsVery friendly yet professional environment. Most employees have been at the company for long-long time. Says a lot about the company culture.

ConsLow attrition makes it difficult to create new positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat leadership team.

Excellent

Recruiter (Former Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

Prosgreat culture, fun place to work

Consdownsizing, sold brands and jobs were eliminated

Advice to Senior Managementtake care of people

Worked for Brinker? Contribute to the Community!