Brookdale Senior Living

www.brookdaleliving.com

Brookdale Senior Living Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014
Brookdale Senior Living – Brentwood – “Brookdale Senior Living”

T. Andrew Smith

Pros
  • Peer group is great, supportive, residents are great(in 13 reviews)

• Great work hours and work life balance at the corporate office(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management can be a bit distant as to what takes place daily in the communities(in 28 reviews)

• Heavy turnover of management as well due to Work life balance out of proportion(in 8 reviews)

Poor communication throughout the company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Nashville, TN (US)

ProsWork/life balance is OK. Time-off policies seem to fair for the most part. The company does seem to be geared toward folks that have families, which is nice for those that have them.

ConsPoor communication throughout the company. Poor synergy between departments. It would also be nice if the salaries kept up with industry standards.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry and apply the values that you advertise to your potential customers to your current residents and current employees. Communicate better with your employees. Do what you say you're going to do.

Brookdale is a corporation that is ultimately primarily focused on the bottom dollar.... Enough said.

Therapy Coordinator (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay, nice coworkers, and variety of work opportunities

ConsExtremely unorganized, unstructured, and at times unethical. No training for employees or management. Minimal support and limited opportubity to grow clinical skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a training program for employees. Have a realistic expectations of "productivity" standards. Give more support to your nurses, therapy managers and employees.

Great Company, Amazing Support

ProsSupport on multiple levels from Corporate, through Fellow Managers

ConsLong hours at times. If you don't like reporting, might not be right for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a market rate analysis

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Training sucks here for therapists!

Therapy (Current Employee)

ProsThe patients complain on how they get nickel and dimed to death! Even if they are sick family members cannot go down to pick up food for them!

ConsNo training provided with the platforms they are utilizing to write notes! Pay is NOT commensurate with experience! Medicare A is over utilized for patients that are NOT homebound! Middle management might as well be high school students as they have no training in how to manage people and constantly flip flop on rules i.e. 10 hr work days or inconsistent caseloads or CEUs or for that matter ordering supplies! BTW taking out the trash and cleaning bathrooms while not a part of our job description will be performed! If your hurting for work as a therapist go somewhere else like Aegis!

Advice to Senior ManagementGo get some training on how to manage us minions!!

Not what it used to be! Sadly disappointed former Director.

Executive Director (Current Employee) Denver, CO (US)

ProsResidents were the best part.

ConsWhere do I begin!?! The company changed dramatically over the last two years. Staff was cut with directive to cut/lay off immediately. Regional staff told me to email them that afternoon of the staff positions I would cut to satisfy bottom line numbers. Not based on budget or resident needs-but some calculation that no one could explain where it came from. It was a culture of "gotcha" rather than support. We were compensated fairly, but conversely instructed to lay off care staff and servers. Forget the bonus and let us have staff. Glad I'm gone. Much less stress.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut the residents first! Practice servant leadership! Let communities be different and better without micromanaging. Stop trying to catch people making mistakes.

none

Prosnone the job is good but it is a little confusing about job titles and what my job title actually is.

ConsI like working with people and the responsibilities I have taken on at brookdale senior living in lisle Illinois.

Title of Position was not even remotely accurate in describing the responsibilities.

Sales and Marketing (Former Employee) Orlando, FL (US)

ProsInteracting with and helping to care for Seniors. Helping them to improve their "Quality of Life".

ConsPoorly managed in every department, high employee turnover, lack of autonomy for any role to perform their duties without being "micro-managed".

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you got rid of half of the managers, the company would still run better than it is now. There are way too many Chiefs and not nearly enough Indians.
    Spend more time talking with your employees to pro-actively allow internal issues to be addressed.Do not just pop into a community for photo opportunities and Directors meetings.

Friendly staff members, residents and family members are very nice.

Aid (Current Employee) Elizabeth City, NC (US)

ProsHaving the opportunity to meet new employees. Having the ability to bond a trusting relationship with the residents and family members.

ConsPay, false information given to people. Not feeling appreciated. Lack of staff, but the same amount of work load. Many resident's should be placed in nursing homes, not assisted living.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff more. Stop listening to he say she say.

Sales Manager

Sales (Former Employee) Columbia, SC (US)

ProsGreat benefits, great management staff, good work environment

Conswatch your back, you just never know who is friend or who is foe

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen the enemy is relaxed, make them toil. When full, starve them. When settled, make them move.”

Too many Cheifs and no Indians!

Corporate (Current Employee) Nashville, TN (US)

ProsStill wondering why I am still here

Consplenty of cheifs and no indians

Advice to Senior ManagementHire other Managers

Worked for Brookdale Senior Living? Contribute to the Community!