www.brookdaleliving.com
Profile Unclaimed

Nothing but lies and run around

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

I honestly can't think of anything positive about this company beyond the fact that I am not there anymore.

Cons

I am receiving severance as a former employee. While employed, I experienced a culture with little to no communication and plenty of finger pointing. As a former employee, I have experienced nothing but lies and a run around proclaiming how corporate policies are more important than the people that made up the company. I have had items pulled from my check and NOT returned to me. Never seen another place where the employees were a revenue center in themselves.

Learn to see people as people, not numbers. Talk to each other. Follow up the on what you say you are going to do.

Resident Assistant

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

Other employees help each other.

Cons

1.There is not a professional in working schedule for employees.
    2.trying to hire many part-time employees. by doing this, they do not give their employees enough hours to work and in come that their employees can support their living cost.
    3. They always short pay their employees.
    4. the Management system is a mess.

1.Need to refresh and rebuild a Management system.
    2. care more about their employees then their employees can focus on their Residents.
    3. pay correct hours as well as rates

Great Company

Current Employee - Medication Aide in Winston-Salem, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Medication Aide in Winston-Salem, NC (US)

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

In stock exchange, tuition reimbursement, optimum life

Cons

Low hourly pay, management arguments

Give a raise to care staff

Good day

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

Good residents Good times good days

Cons

Everything can be done better

Better

Terrible dietary service

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Granger, IN (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Granger, IN (US)

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

Wonder residents.great nursing staff on AL and memory care.

Cons

ED was never in ding room to help. Dietary services very poorly run. Lack of staff initiative. Dirty dining room floor. Tables never set with all dishes or silverware

Instruct dietary workers how to appropriately set tables, serve food,and clean dining room. For the cost of the apartment and care. They should not have stained table clothes andfood left on silverware

Please, trust me-don't work here!!

Former Employee - Server in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Server in San Antonio, TX (US)

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The residents and my coworkers were the only things that made this job enjoyable, for sure. I had many memorable conversations with the residents and I only wish that they weren't being taken advantage of for their money.

Cons

I don't know if all Brookdale locations are the same-but there are some serious root issues that can be seen even at the bottom of the company level.

First off- the management is lazy, and there is so much blame shifting and negligence. The managers would come in and demand us to work by the book, but then take off to do their own thing. During the near year that I worked as a server, I watched firsthand as our managers would only show their faces 2, maybe 3 times a week in the place they were supposed to be running. When our manager did show, it was only to yell at all the servers and cooks, then leave again.

Unprofessional- The only time that we would actually run things correctly was during corporate visits. As soon as corporate was gone, things were back to normal. There was so much chaos in the kitchen. No one ever seemed to know what their duties were and only the bare minimum was done. The managers played favorites with certain employees, looking the other way when they would directly break the rules.

High Turnover Rate and Frustrated employees- Numbers speak for themselves. In the 11 months that I worked, 10 other servers quit. Some of them tried to move to other positions within the company, but were still left with pay that wasn't meeting their needs, barely any training, and poor work/life balance. Some of them had been in the company for 6+ years and hadn't had a single pay raise since they started. The interview process wasn't even close to being thorough- they were desperate just to fill the holes with servers leaving in droves.

Ethics-This is by far what bothered me the most about working here. On the surface, we were told that Brookdale is all about the residents...but that is not what I saw in practice. The company is out for their money, not their well being. Lets just say that there's a lot of fine print, in everyone's contracts.

Managers- Take responsibility for you workplace and the people that are under your leadership. Listen to your employees, pay attention to obvious glaring issues instead of ignoring them. Don't promise high pay and good hours to interviewees if you have no intention of honoring that promise. Performance=Rewards

Corporate greed is appalling

Current Employee - Executive Director
    Current Employee - Executive Director

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

There are a few good persons working in the communities that unfortunately work a significant amount of unpaid overtime to compensate for the lack of resources

Cons

Upper management expects all salaried employees to work significant amounts of overtime to accomplish unrealistic goals and duties.

You will lose good employees and only retain persons who cannot get a better job elsewhere

Worst Corporation to work for (are listed in top 5 worst on internet)

Former Employee - Teamwork in Grants Pass, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Teamwork in Grants Pass, OR (US)

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

Staff and Residents are awesome and make going to work enjoyable. The teamwork can be amazing especially when everyone is willing to go above and beyond their job description.

Cons

Terrible insurance rates, management tries to run their building only to have road blocks by corporate at most every turn. Stress level for employees will effect your health if you are not careful but corporate doesn't care. Teamwork filled the building only to have Brookdale come along and make changes that has the residents all moving out. If a building is successful shouldn't corp. let things be and see whats working?

No problems with management, the problem is Brookdale's micro managing and only caring about the money. Caring for seniors is not supposed to be about the money but the heart. You would think a full building of residents would be more profitable than one with a lot of empty apartments.

Stay away

Former Employee - RCD in Allentown, PA (US)
    Former Employee - RCD in Allentown, PA (US)

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

NONE none at all none

Cons

Low pay, treated like dirt. Will terminate any employee on a whim.

Give it up.

Focus is on making money for stock holders not on growing the staff or providing care to the residents.

Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Large company allows easy transfer opportunities - in all states but 2.
    Good on line training system.
    Nice uniforms.
    Pretty name tags.

Cons

Little support from Executive or Regional Teams.
    Little focus on resident care.
    Little focus on associate growth.
    Lots of focus on growing revenue.
    No work/life balance for managers or department heads. High turn over.

Talk to the staff that support this company. Conduct Town Hall Meetings to see what the true needs are of each community, associates, residents and families. Allow us all to see and feel that there is more to you that someone sitting behind a computer, crunching numbers.

Brookdale Senior Living Photos