Brookdale Senior Living

Updated 29 September 2014
Updated 29 September 2014
2.5

T. Andrew Smith

Pros
  • Peer group is great, supportive, residents are great (in 14 reviews)

• Feel as if I make a difference in the lives of the residents (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • This is verbalized by upper management so often, but never actually followed in truth (in 31 reviews)

• Heavy turnover of management as well due to Work life balance out of proportion (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

If I could get out and find something comparable in $ I would

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Salary, friends along the way, learning experience. Several locations to transfer to if needed within the area. Offer medical, dental and vision. 401k matching , group legal and others.

Cons

Bipolar management , have to be in good with people to survive. Too big too fast , no consistency among procedures from community to community. How do people get away with not following procedures so much? Max raise is %2 per year.

Really listen and talk to people on the bottom of the totem pole. It's not as peachy as you like to think it is.

Overall experience was ok but via recent acquisitions, the company has lost its soul and culture.

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Working with seniors from the Greatest Generation. Decent comp and benefits. Good support.

Cons

Constant, disruptive and demoralizing reorganizations.

Why are so many key leadership positions given to leaders from failing, underperforming companies like Horizon Bay and Emeritus?

They believe in a culture of caring for residents and associates from the top down!

Current Employee - Executive Director  in  Albany, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Executive Director in Albany, OR (US)

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The residents are amazing. I learn from them every day. The company really tries to do the right thing for residnets and associates.

Cons

Stay the course. Great Job!

Keep it up. Priorities are Faith, Family then job.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Care Assocaite

Current Employee - Resident Care Assistant  in  Germantown, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Resident Care Assistant in Germantown, TN (US)

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I love everything about my job, especially the residents. The management team here is really good, especially the nursing director and the resident care coordinator. The Executive Director even brought in a bank to discuss with us about the benefits of direct depositing our check. They really care about us as employees.

Cons

I would not change a thing. This is a great place to work.

Keep doing what you are doing.

Best company culture I've ever experienced!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People (associates, residents, leadership, peers), benefits, associates take pride in what they do! Opportunities for growth & advancement! Making a difference in the lives of the residents we serve!

Cons

None and if I did I wouldn't share it here. I would discuss with my RVP!

Keep doing what you do every day! As the CEO says, "If you're not serving a resident, serve someone who is!"

job

Former Employee - Cook  in  Peoria, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Cook in Peoria, AZ (US)

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for less than a year

Pros

it is a great company

Cons

the gossip like any job

they know vwhat they are doing

I LOVE what I do

Current Employee - Director of Sales  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Director of Sales in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

I am very happy to be working for a comany that has such a passion for the people we serve, I truly feel like I make a difference in people's lives. This is not just a "job" it is a calling.
    I have worked in 3 different Brookdale communities and enjoyed my time in each of them. The company believes in growing their employees and promoting from within.

Cons

I have worked with challenging people, they are not a reflection of Brookdale as a whole.

Continue to facilitate a culture that places the resident's needs first.

Working for Brookdale has been a positive experience overall and would recommend it to others.

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The community I work at is like a family where both residents and associates feel comfortable to be there.

Cons

The only challenge I have faced was a work-life balance because of going to school and working full time.

Compensation could be more competitive for associates demonstrating above and beyond service.

RUN

Former Employee - Nurse
    Former Employee - Nurse

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living part-time for more than a year

Pros

There is no reason to want to work for this company

Cons

This place had me thinking I had literally entered the twilight zone. Upper management did nothing to fix issues with staffing. They refused to fire staff that did frequent no-call no-shows. They refused to use agency staffing even when there is only one person who showed up that day. As a medical professional I felt placed in an unsafe situation every day. My last day there I sat in the parking lot 15 minutes early to see who decided to snow up for work that day...when no one else pulled up at 7am I had my answer. At least I only had to supervise myself..

Care about your residents and hire reliable staff. Stop worrying about your profits and bring in agency staff if absolutely necessary so that you don't have a neglect lawsuit later! There are ratio LAWS that have to be followed and you are NOT above the law!

LOVE my boss!

Current Employee - Activities  in  Germantown, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Activities in Germantown, TN (US)

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for less than a year

Pros

I love the atmosphere we have here at The Solana, it's happy, energetic and FUN! I honestly don't think "ugh, I have to go to work today"....more like "Yes! I have a fun job and the people I work with like me and I like them, the residents are happy to see me every day and I feel like I am making a very big difference in their lives. I am constantly encouraged by my supervisor, she has so many great ideas and loves to hear mine as well. I feel like this will be the company I ultimately retire from......many, many years from now!

Cons

I wish the facility were larger, we are almost at capacity and I feel bad for people living in less than optimum communities.

Training needs to be a little more cohesive and up to date.

Brookdale Senior Living Photos

Brookdale Senior Living

+ Add Photo

Worked for Brookdale Senior Living? Contribute to the Community!