www.brookdaleliving.com

Updated 25 November 2014
Updated 25 November 2014
2.6

T. Andrew Smith

Pros
  • Residents are great; make your 8-hour shift worthwhile (in 14 reviews)

• Feel as if I make a difference in the lives of the residents (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • This is verbalized by upper management so often, but never actually followed in truth (in 32 reviews)

• Heavy turnover of management as well due to Work life balance out of proportion (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Receptionist/concierge

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent pay, flexibility, wonderful residents, & staff was pleasant

Cons

You get very attached to the residents....especially after the passing of a resident was tough for everyone.

I love working with the geriatric community and enjoy my co-workers

Current Employee - PTA in The Villages, FL (US)
    Current Employee - PTA in The Villages, FL (US)

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Love my patients and co-workers

Cons

little pay raises, once in 2 1/2 years, lots of turnover in nursing and management

Was a good ride while it lasted.

Former Employee - Director of Dining Services in Jacksonville, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Director of Dining Services in Jacksonville, FL (US)

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Advancement opportunity was wonderful. Facility was great. Other associates were great. Was just a great company. Great pay benefits.

Cons

Had to leave company because I was not willing to relocate. No other property in area big enough for me to continue with. I want to return to the company. I spent 8 years with them. As a company I like them and believe in their mission. Property to property is where things begin to change. You can not fault the company as a whole because the property you worked for was bad. Enriching the lives of those we serve with compassion, respect, excellence and integrity.

Keep doing what you do.

Low pay, high expectations

Current Employee - Maintenance Tech in Franklin, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Maintenance Tech in Franklin, TN (US)

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living part-time (more than an year)

Pros

For me a good work schedule, that's why I stay.
    Flexibility
    Pleasant work environment
    Residents are Great!
    Feel as if I make a difference in the lives of the residents

Cons

Low pay, high expectations
    Always short on manpower ( under staffed )
    tight with money
    High expectations for members of management

Loosen up, treat employees as assets not expenses and as if they make a difference because they do.

Wonderful residents, horrible upper mgt from Exec Dir up to National Directors

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Taking care of the residents-it's what the work is all about! Not much else to be positive about with this company...

Cons

Bullying mentality from Executive Director, constant focus on predetermined themes issued from National Directors who NEVER set foot in the communities and have no clue what's actually occurring within, focus is on making money (and boy do they rake it in!) and admitting people to rooms with no concern to the effects it may have upon these residents, all the company cares about is getting the $3500-7000/month with no concern to their clients... staffing is terrible - staff works short staffed all the time and are expected to do the same amount of work with skeleton staffing (i.e. only 2 activity staff for 375 residents, 2 resident care aides taking care of 40-50+ people per shift) Company charges outrageous amounts for benefits (in excess of $450/mon for employee contribution) Managers are required to work 12-14hr days with no comp time to balance out OT done, must put up with incompetent Exec Directors who scream and yell at them and disrespect them and all the other staff; regional/national staff do nothing to eliminate the bullying behavior. Training for staff is a joke and is nonexistent; there is no regulations that oversee these communities so they can pretty much do whatever they want with no consequences. DO NOT ADMIT YOUR LOVED ONE WITHIN THESE COMMUNITIES!!!!

Regional and especially National level staff need to actually be in the trenches and work so they can eliminate the bullying and see how their national standards work (or don't work) before making blank initiatives... take care of your employees... the company needs to pay better, provide proper staffing, and actually CARE about their residents...

AVOID AT ALL COSTS UNLESS YOU ARE DESPERATE FOR A JOB

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brentwood, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brentwood, TN (US)

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time

Pros

Some great people throughout the company, unfortunately they typically end up leaving

Good location in Maryland Farms

Talented associates

Cons

I will start with the least serious (at least to me) and go from there: Please note this is my experience at CORPORATE

Compensation (well underpaid in comparison to similar jobs at other companies)

Benefits (some of the worst out there, very expensive for a decent plan)

Working conditions: depends upon what department you are in, and what floor you are on (4th is the worst) - drama, office politics and backstabbing, territorialism, railroading, etc. However a few departments have solid leadership and happy folks, but it is rare. There are a lot of nice people there but most end of leaving or getting fired for "causing trouble."

Questionable hiring practices and promises regarding promotions, reviews and raises

High turnover rate

Low employee moral and low respect for CEO

Few promotions or raises

Lacks leadership. Poor managers with few people and team-building skills. Offer little support in the way career growth.

Top-heavy with C-level execs (many legacy) making far more than they should while associates get paid next to nothing

Failure to comply with grievance and discipline policies and procedures as laid out in their associate handbook. They justify this by claiming it is their right not to do so. Legally true, but ethically disgusting.

You can go to the indeed job board for additional reviews. Just type in Brookdale and you will find nearly 150 of them.

DO. THE. RIGHT. THING. Isn't that what you preach?

Love working with the clients, but the management is unorganized.

Current Employee - Care Associate in Sugar Land, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Care Associate in Sugar Land, TX (US)

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Residents are the best! Love helping and taking care of people. And they are very appreciative.

Cons

Pay is very low for the duties involved in a position. Lack of communication makes job even harder to complete.

Make the pay worthwhile and show more appreciation to all employees. Also become more organized and correct communication problems.

Horrible

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kenmore, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kenmore, NY (US)

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living (more than 8 years)

Pros

I loved working with the residents. They deserve better.

Cons

Clueless management. The current crop of managers are woefully lacking. At one time, before Brookdale took over it was a wonderful place to live and work. Management team acts like they are in high school. It's embarrassing to watch. Employees are underpaid, bullied and treated very badly. For all the money that Brookdale rakes in none of it finds its way to the residents or employees.

Sadly I think that some people just need to leave.

Do not understand skilled nursing

Former Employee - Supervisor
    Former Employee - Supervisor

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than an year)

Pros

All the way overtime you want....but only because always short staffed

Cons

Poor upper mgmt, lack of caring for staff, would advice sent not to work at the Lexington, KY facility.

Every employee is important to make the facility run well. Open your eyes to the real needs of the staff and residents.

Forced to work with sycophants on every level.

Former Employee - Grand High Exhalted Mystic Ruler in West Hartford, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Grand High Exhalted Mystic Ruler in West Hartford, CT (US)

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The check you get probably won't bounce because the company rakes in the dough and can cover expenses.

Cons

Like most senior living company's the focus is on $$$..every decision is based on $$$. do not think for a second they care one iota about there customers..THEY DONT AND NEVER WILL..They pay nothing, so only the managers and maybe the nurses can afford the benefits offered. That's millions more in there pocket. They keep hiring the same losers over and over again. Did an Executive Administrator get fired form her previous job for being a dolt? no problem brookdale will hire you and pay a dam good salary to boot!! They budget $5.25 per person per day for food. NOT 5.25 a meal, 5.25 a day. Resident pay upward of 6k per month only to et $5,25 per day dog food. If the building loses a few residents guess what? staff gets cut so service to the resident's suffers. Like they care. You get a 2% raise after cleaning diapers for a year. You can do the math what that works out to on a $9.00 an hour salary. I mean I could go on and on , but I wont bore you..just steer clear of the majority of this unregulated ( and that is the key word ) industry. Look for work in nursing homes. They are regulated by the government, pay more and are overall much better to work for.

See you in hell.