Burlington Coat Factory

Updated 28 February 2015
2.5

Burlington Coat Factory President and CEO Tom Kingsbury
Tom Kingsbury

Pros
  • Great deals offered on products sold and the employee discount for these products (in 13 reviews)

• the flexible hours were flexible and it was fair balancing of work and personal life (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Before minimum wage went up this January in my state I was making about 75 cents over (in 37 reviews)

• No appropriate work/life balance - people that create their own are penalized (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

I enjoyed working at BCF

I have been working at Burlington Coat Factory

Pros

It was always very busy, fast pace environment. Never a dull moment.

Cons

I wish there were more training hours although, that's an on going problem in most companies.

To keep a journal of observation on each employee so that you have something solid to go by when writing reviews at the end of the year. I believe that an employees review should be accurate and have a back up.

GREAT GREAT GREAT

Current Employee - Burlington Coat Factory Shoe Department in New Brunswick, NJ (US)

I have been working at Burlington Coat Factory

Pros

LOVED THE FRIENDLY CO WORKERS AND AMAZING MANAGER

Cons

NOTHING!! I loved every day there

Stay organized and help train the new staff

Lakeland Square Mall - Burlington Coat Factory

Former Contractor - Seasonal Sales Associate/Cashier in Lakeland, FL (US)
    Former Contractor - Seasonal Sales Associate/Cashier in Lakeland, FL (US)

I worked at Burlington Coat Factory as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The most positive aspect of my job was the coworkers. The HR manager, Kevin, is very gifted at staffing exceptionally non-problematic, kind, sociable individuals. None of them were "rough around the edges" or difficult to work with. I cried the day I decided to take a job offer at another establishment, because I knew how much I'd miss everyone.

At the Lakeland, Florida Burlington Coat Factory , it was not an environment where you were micromanaged or highly pressured to reach difficult goals. When I worked in Recovery, I had complete creative freedom to spend my time reorganizing displays to my liking and the freedom to prioritize my own time how I would manage the upkeep of that area for the day . The only expectation was to keep things off the floor and reasonably organized.

The Customer Service Supervisors (in charge of cashiering area) were incredibly patient with training . I never received backlash even after making the same cashiering mistake for the 100th time or so in the months (3 months) I worked there. I was never scared or stressed to admit an error to a supervisor and seek assistance. I was never made to feel bad about myself.

Cons

The hours were terrible. I got staffed as little as two days in a week for four hour periods.I was a seasonal employee, but discovered the hours were not much better for the permanent employees.

It was minimum wage work, with never any wage increase for the permanent employees.

The other major con, which is an issue at other hourly retailers as well, was the lack of consistency with what shifts were scheduled and last minute changes. The last minute notices on the next week's work schedules, made scheduling future appointments and making plans impossible.

Staff more full time employees, give the maximum hours to part-time workers, have shift-assignment consistency or continue to experience a revolving door of talent.

This company underpays their employees and over works them.

Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Burlington Coat Factory

Pros

Flexible hours and sufficient training.

Cons

Lack of sufficient employees scheduled to work in each department.

Great wonderful experience

I worked at Burlington Coat Factory

Pros

wonderful flexible schedule OK work life balance

Cons

long commute short break mandatory lunch

Great for students and people really needing a job quicky

Former Employee - Cashier in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Burlington Coat Factory part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule-I opted for the lowest amount of hours possible and that was respected
    Half way decent discount , especially when holidays roll around
    Co workers are pretty much cool people; obviously you get so aggressive/ overbearing personalities but I feel that was more an exception than the norm

Cons

Floor supervisors seemed both overwhelmed and simply unavailable
    No decent system for ringing out customer when tags where missing which equates to horribly long lines and angry customers
    The pay was horrible. I know it's retail but in NYC, it wasn't even enough to treat myself to lunch. I got paid nothing. Floor supervisors start at $10, which seems insane for the level of responsibility.

Pay your workers more because you truly are asking a lot of them. Your brand is vastly represented by the employees your customers encounter. Poverty and a demanding job should not equate and quite frankly, it's a shame.

Develop a better system for entering items in the POS system if barcodes are missing. I cannot begin to express how daunting it is to wait 20 minutes for one barcode, as was my experience as a cashier (23rd and 6th)

Don't recommend to anyone

Former Employee - Recovery Specialist and Cashier in Kennewick, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Recovery Specialist and Cashier in Kennewick, WA (US)

I worked at Burlington Coat Factory

Pros

Always busy. Good hours. Meet new people. Employee discount. Put things on hold when you see something you want.

Cons

Management was messy and sometimes expected too much. The store itself is a dump and impossible to keep clean. A lot of drama. Working past midnight during holidays not fun.

Train employees instead of making them fend for themselves.

Unprofessional and lack of Compassion

Former Employee - Receiving Associate in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Receiving Associate in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Burlington Coat Factory part-time (less than a year)

Pros

25% discount on merchandise for a week once every other month

Cons

Constant altering of work schedule, sometimes the day of a shift, with no calls of alert
    Lack of reliability on management staff
    Lack of returned phone calls
    Overbearing work load as a result of last minute schedule changes leading to understaff
    Lack of humane hours. I've had weeks where I was given 8 hours, for the entire week

Limit hours to a minimum of 12 hours a week
    Don't change schedules last minute without some notice in advance
    Return phone calls
    Create a more friendly- open door environment

Not what it use to be

Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Lawrenceville, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Lawrenceville, GA (US)

I have been working at Burlington Coat Factory part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Weekly pay, discount-could be better but Its somethIng,located on bus route, flexible schedule

Cons

Some unprofessional coworkers which makes atmosphere uncomfortable, management slowly improving, low pay, understaffed days cause many customer complaints

More support and attention to customers and employee feelings, also lead by example, be a role model

Burlington Coat Factory Photos