CBS Outdoor

Be The First To
Add Photos

Wally C. Kelly

Great learning opportunity

Human Resources Shared Services (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at CBS Outdoor full-time for more than a year

Pros-part of CBS Corporation
-leading out of home advertising media in UK
-busy, competitive environment
-great learning experience especially if you are in sales/marketing/franchise

Cons-limited career progression
-limited training opportunities
-competitive culture, not very friendly environment
-compensation & benefits are below the market median especially for support functions

Advice to Senior Management-streamline internal policies and practices to enhance fair treatment
-be open, transparent and honest to your staff

Great internship experience!

Office/Game-Day Intern (Current Employee)
Baton Rouge, LA (US)

I have been working at CBS Outdoor as an intern for more than a year

ProsWorking with LSU Sports Properties as an intern has provided me with a lot of experience in the sports industry. I've learned so many new things to help me through a career in sports such as working on recaps and working with sponsors.

ConsThe biggest challenge for me was putting aside my thoughts of how others were working and just getting through my work in the best way possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementInteract more with interns.

ok

I worked at CBS Outdoor full-time for more than 10 years

Prosliked the work in the past

Consbad management needs to learn to be more openminded

Awful?

I worked at CBS Outdoor full-time

ProsAside from any management, great people.

ConsI don't know where to start. You would think that with a company like this, there would be some relationship between position and competence. Like a manager should know how to use a question mark in a sentence, or not make up words, or not say that their best skill is delegating. Unfortunately, that's not the case at all. I could really go on a rant here, but I’ll be brief. If you want to be in sales, there’s no training, so good luck. If you want a career path, it won’t happen unless you’re in sales and can network with the right guys. If you’re in anything other than a sales role, there’s no training and no opportunity for growth. I really like the people I worked with, but this company was a depressing dead end that was a total void in my career.

I like working for CBS Outdoor, I have learned a lot about outside sales.

Stockton, CA (US)

I have been working at CBS Outdoor full-time for more than a year

ProsYou create your own schedule, you have flexibility on who to call on and you create your success!

ConsThe company is changing and there is a lot of uncertainty of what will happen to the industry in the Northern California area.

Perfect place for someone inexperienced with a humane corporate culture.

Lease Administrator (Former Employee)
Berkeley, CA (US)

I worked at CBS Outdoor full-time for less than a year

ProsThe medical plan should cover a portion of the therapy sessions necessary to remind yourself that you are worthy human being.

ConsPeople are managed by intimidation and if you are thrilled by the thought then this is the place for you. Extremely click-"ish." And diversity is minimal.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe world has changed and providing a respectful working environment is more the norm now. Take the time to learn how to effectively manage adults, as opposed to bullying acceptable performance.

You can advance into senior management if you've been hit in the head pretty hard several times in your life.

I worked at CBS Outdoor

ProsDecent experience if you can survive a "sink or swim" type of environment. Ok money to be made even if you're not appreciated for the effort. As long as you're generating results you can advance into sales management (if you can stand working for one of the company's senior managers)

ConsEx-athlete senior management are less than intelligent, spiteful bullies. The East Coast Senior Vice President excels at management through harassment, interrogation and humiliation. Avoid working in one of his East Coast markets for sure. Totally unprofessional management approach.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people like humans and not as disposable assets. Get rid of the bullying atmosphere. Invest in your staff and encourage them with positive feedback, adopt a zero tolerance policy of harassment and enforce it, even if it's the company's senior managers.

The best Job I've held to this point.

Account Executive (Former Employee)
New Orleans, LA (US)

I worked at CBS Outdoor full-time for less than a year

ProsExceptional leadership provided by management. Laid back environment at the office, and every employee knows one another like a family member. That experience was so amazing because of the people who run and work in that office.

ConsLimited inventory of billboard locations.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work and thank you for giving me the opportunity to work with such a great group of individuals. Thanks also for spending the extra time outside of work to try to help me succeed.

Great Environment, some processes outdated but they are moving with the times

I have been working at CBS Outdoor full-time for more than a year

ProsBest General manger ever. Listened and implemented and rewarded us for good work, listened to all of our concerns and suggestions

Consanything that had to do outside my office. Billing dept is absurdly dumb and lazy. Just plain and simple. Even had to call and train them on basic math and proration.

Advice to Senior ManagementBilling Department helps in losing sales. Had three or more clients leave since the billing dept could't figure out charges, over charged and couldn't do their job.

A 'Throwback' company.

I have been working at CBS Outdoor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros*Good hours
*Decent base
*Well known name
*Diverse - LGBT friendly
*Nice people

Cons*TOTALLY behind the times (from a sales perspective)
*NO investment in sales CRM
*Absolutely horrible in terms of welcoming new employees and giving a 'lay of the land'
*NO teamwork in Sales Dept
*Worthless unless you have any National business if you work in a major market.
*Old boys network feel.

Advice to Senior Management*Try to have some kind up team building ideas in house.
*Bring the CRM situation up to date so salespeople are not calling on the same people over and over again -- makes the company and the employee look like idiots, or worse, boorish.
*Having internal fiefdoms really makes for a lack of employee cooperation.

Worked for CBS Outdoor? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CBS Outdoor reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for CBS Outdoor CEO Wally C. Kelly. All 29 reviews are posted anonymously by CBS Outdoor employees.